Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Honey123 Honey123 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Default Royal Caribbean FOS's age limit for teen dances

We just returned from a cruise on the FOS. My daughter who is a senior in high school is 17, her friend that we took along is also a senior but 18. The cruise line would not let the 18 yr old into the teen dance so she could dance with my daughter even though she was still a senior in high school. We also weren't allowed to escort our daughter into The Crypt so she could dance with her friend. Does anyone know any other cruise lines that would allow them to attend dance clubs together?? When I contacted RCI, the agent tried for 15 minutes to find the age limit rule on their website and couldn't. It was very disappointing for the girls and a very expensive lesson for us!
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Shmoo here's Avatar
Shmoo here Shmoo here is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey123 View Post
We just returned from a cruise on the FOS. My daughter who is a senior in high school is 17, her friend that we took along is also a senior but 18. The cruise line would not let the 18 yr old into the teen dance so she could dance with my daughter even though she was still a senior in high school. We also weren't allowed to escort our daughter into The Crypt so she could dance with her friend. Does anyone know any other cruise lines that would allow them to attend dance clubs together?? When I contacted RCI, the agent tried for 15 minutes to find the age limit rule on their website and couldn't. It was very disappointing for the girls and a very expensive lesson for us!
I don't know what (if any) cruiselines allow 17 & 18 year olds in the same areas. DCL teen club is 14-17. Once you are 18 you may access the adult only areas. 18 year olds cannot attend the teen club, 17 year olds cannot be in adult only areas.
__________________
DCLHAL Carnival
10 Cruises, 6 ships, 106 nights
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM
klauer klauer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,404
Default

Why was this an expensive lesson? Not getting why this was such a big deal.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Honey123 Honey123 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauer View Post
Why was this an expensive lesson? Not getting why this was such a big deal.
My daughter chose a cruise for her senior trip because as my travel agent said "the girls will be able to dance the night away"....that is what they were looking forward to. Dressing up and going dancing together! My daughter sat outside The Crypt with the bouncer while her friend went in for a while to just be able to experience it. My daughter went into the teen dance for a while, leaving her friend outside, just to be able to experience the dancing in a club. Something that is a big deal to teen girls. We spent $4500 on a trip that they didn't get to do the things that they looked forward to the most.....dancing to fun music.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM
paul929207's Avatar
paul929207 paul929207 is offline
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Greenville, SC, USA
Posts: 43,342
Default

I don't understand the expense either.

That said, the cruise lines are all strict on the age limits for the different activities. If something is 14 to 17, then they will not let in any 13 yo (no matter how mature the parent claims they are) or any 18 yo.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Honey123 Honey123 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
I don't understand the expense either.

That said, the cruise lines are all strict on the age limits for the different activities. If something is 14 to 17, then they will not let in any 13 yo (no matter how mature the parent claims they are) or any 18 yo.
For $4500, I would have waited until my daughter was 18 to be able to experience the fun of dancing in clubs on a cruise ship with her classmate/friend and not wait for her outside the club......it may not be a lot of money to you, but it was a lot of money to us.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM
ducklite ducklite is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Orlando but California Dreaming
Posts: 10,895
Default

Sounds like you need a new travel agent.
__________________
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

Sometime in 2016, ship, month, and itinerary TBD

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM
klauer klauer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,404
Default

Seriously, I would have been thrilled if when I was 17 my parents took me on a cruise, especially if I got to bring a friend. I think that you were very nice to take your daughter and friend on the trip, even if they had to deal with one disappointment.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:33 PM
kassimer1's Avatar
kassimer1 kassimer1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: delaware
Posts: 908
Default

I agree you need a better travel agent. she should have known the ages. It not royals fault they have rules to keep adults out of the kids area. it is plainly written on all the compasses and if you look at the link it says ages 3-17 http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...rd&faqType=faq. a little hard to find. hopefully they had enough other memories to make it fun.
__________________
11/17/2007 carnival triumph
06/06/2010 carnival valor
04-23-2011 Oasis of the Seas ds 16th bday
11/15/2012 thanksgiving on explorer of the seas
01/03/2014 Granduer of the seas
01/31/2014 granduer of the seas
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Carolin's Avatar
Carolin Carolin is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,920
Default

Had you taken the friends student id to guest services, they would have classified her as a student (ie underage) and she would have been allowed to go into the teen area. Once "reclassified", she would have not been able to do the casino, after 11pm dancing etc.. it happens all of the time.
__________________
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008
Carnival Valor Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream Feb. 2011
Carnival Conquest Feb. 2013
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas Feb 2014
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:20 AM
SadieN SadieN is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
Posts: 10,530
Default

Carnival usually allows 18yo HS students with ID into Club02.
It depends on how many 15-17yo are onboard and at the counselor's discretion.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:21 AM
ducklite ducklite is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Orlando but California Dreaming
Posts: 10,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolin View Post
Had you taken the friends student id to guest services, they would have classified her as a student (ie underage) and she would have been allowed to go into the teen area. Once "reclassified", she would have not been able to do the casino, after 11pm dancing etc.. it happens all of the time.
It's my understanding that many lines are now declining to do this due to liability issues.
__________________
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

Sometime in 2016, ship, month, and itinerary TBD

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Carolin's Avatar
Carolin Carolin is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
It's my understanding that many lines are now declining to do this due to liability issues.
As always it is up the the counselors on the particular ship. But typically, the kids don't go to the "club" anyway. They gather in various places and hang out. What ever that means these days... LOL I don't know why but I usually see them on the stairs. go figure.
__________________
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008
Carnival Valor Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream Feb. 2011
Carnival Conquest Feb. 2013
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas Feb 2014
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Shmoo here's Avatar
Shmoo here Shmoo here is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolin View Post
Had you taken the friends student id to guest services, they would have classified her as a student (ie underage) and she would have been allowed to go into the teen area. Once "reclassified", she would have not been able to do the casino, after 11pm dancing etc.. it happens all of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
It's my understanding that many lines are now declining to do this due to liability issues.
That's what's happened on DCL. They used to allow 18 year olds who hadn't started college yet (either still seniors in high school, or the summer between graduation and starting college) into the teen club which was specified to be 14-17 year olds.

They changed this, and started enforcing the written policy starting in Dec 2011. Now 18 year olds cannot be in the teen club...period.

And, apparently, they are saying anyone who becomes 18 during the cruise falls into this group. So if someone is 17 boarding the ship and turns 18 during the cruise they cannot attend the teen club. The snag is they cannot utilize the adult only areas (18 and over) until they are actually 18.

__________________
DCLHAL Carnival
10 Cruises, 6 ships, 106 nights
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Capt_BJ's Avatar
Capt_BJ Capt_BJ is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,953
Default

FOS is (was) very sticky on this issue but I don't know if that is ship specific or applies across the line.

We too booked a FOS graduation trip (2010) and our d was the 'junior' of the group who graduated at 17 while the friends were 18.

Sadly the friends had much fun teasing her about not being allowed into 'the Crypt' and that was a major issue on our graduation cruise - but I digress . .

dd turned 18 on the third night of the cruise and RCCL did issue her a new SeaPass which showed her as 18 and allowed access to the special places (unlike some lines who just stick by age at time of boarding). Here she is with mom and birth certificate at the pursur's desk gettin her new card at 0001 on her 18th birthday
__________________
Capt BJ

Costa, Commodore, NCL, Windstar, Princess, DCL, RCL
50+ cruises
USCG Captain, retired - 6 ships, 2 commands, 12 yrs @ sea
Shellback, Golden Dragon, Bering Sea winter vet
Tall ship sailor

Last edited by Capt_BJ; March 29th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Honey123 Honey123 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolin View Post
Had you taken the friends student id to guest services, they would have classified her as a student (ie underage) and she would have been allowed to go into the teen area. Once "reclassified", she would have not been able to do the casino, after 11pm dancing etc.. it happens all of the time.
We did do that, they sent us to the manager of AO, she said there was plenty of other things for the girls to do, she also said this is not the first time this has been an issue.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Honey123 Honey123 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post
FOS is (was) very sticky on this issue but I don't know if that is ship specific or applies across the line.

We too booked a FOS graduation trip (2010) and our d was the 'junior' of the group who graduated at 17 while the friends were 18.

Sadly the friends had much fun teasing her about not being allowed into 'the Crypt' and that was a major issue on our graduation cruise - but I digress . .

dd turned 18 on the third night of the cruise and RCCL did issue her a new SeaPass which showed her as 18 and allowed access to the special places (unlike some lines who just stick by age at time of boarding). Here she is with mom and birth certificate at the pursur's desk gettin her new card at 0001 on her 18th birthday
Glad to hear there is a mom that can understand how we felt! It wasn't that my daughter wasn't grateful for the trip, just wanted to dance with her friend. How wonderful that your daughter had her bday while on the trip so she could spend time with her friends!!
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:59 PM
aohkay aohkay is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey123 View Post
My daughter chose a cruise for her senior trip because as my travel agent said "the girls will be able to dance the night away"....that is what they were looking forward to. Dressing up and going dancing together! My daughter sat outside The Crypt with the bouncer while her friend went in for a while to just be able to experience it. My daughter went into the teen dance for a while, leaving her friend outside, just to be able to experience the dancing in a club. Something that is a big deal to teen girls. We spent $4500 on a trip that they didn't get to do the things that they looked forward to the most.....dancing to fun music.
I can understand their disappointment of not being able to dance the night away together. They most likely looked forward to it and yakked about if for months before sailing. I'm sure they enjoyed and appreciated other apects of the cruise.

OMG, I'd go through the roof if I couldn't dance with my BFF on a cruise!
__________________
2010 - Oceania, Insignia - Lisbon to Rome (12 days)
2008 - NCL, Norwegian Star, Vancouver to Seattle (3 days)
2007 - NCL, Norwegian Pearl, Cruise to No Where (3 days)
2004 - Royal Caribbean, Voyager of the Seas, Alaska (7 days)

Last edited by aohkay; March 29th, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Karysa Karysa is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohkay View Post
I can understand their disappointment of not being able to dance the night away together. They most likely looked forward to it and yakked about if for months before sailing. I'm sure they enjoyed and appreciated other apects of the cruise.

OMG, I'd go through the roof if I couldn't dance with my BFF on a cruise!
I too can understand this. On our Dawn cruise there was a few deck parties with dancing, hopefully you had this on your cruise as well.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.