Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > New England

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=repeater;32991563]http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...achusetts.html

Well, that's annoying...why does the link show up before I post, but it's all bent out of shape when it appears??

Last edited by repeater; March 21st, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It just looks funny, it's still clickable.

Location of this property is perfectly safe. No idea of the amenities or comfort level.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
It just looks funny, it's still clickable.

Location of this property is perfectly safe. No idea of the amenities or comfort level.

thank you. The amenities look basic, but that's fine...we don't plan on being there much! I was concerned about the location.

While we're on the subject, do you think it's realistic to rent a car and make a big swooping circle of points of interest, especially historic places, in a day or 2? We are going on a cruise, but I have not been the NE in years and husband never has. I think part of the appeal for him is the novelty of being to cross state lines in just hours or less. We don't do that out west, where we live!

Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Repeater, it's been years since I've been to Boston, but from what I've read, it's better to use the "T", their public transportation vs. renting a car. As I recall, driving around Boston was a nightmare. Last time I was there, I paid to park by car at the hotel and took the T everywhere. Parking costs are astronomical (I think it was something like $20/hour in downtown for a parking garage). You can get a one day pass for the "T" for $9 and get pretty much to all the tourist sites (I checked their site recently, and it is still posted as $9 for an all day pass). I'm sure 138east will have some more info if they are watching this post. I think they stated that renting a car is a "must not" for Boston.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcruiser View Post
Repeater, it's been years since I've been to Boston, but from what I've read, it's better to use the "T", their public transportation vs. renting a car. As I recall, driving around Boston was a nightmare. Last time I was there, I paid to park by car at the hotel and took the T everywhere. Parking costs are astronomical (I think it was something like $20/hour in downtown for a parking garage). You can get a one day pass for the "T" for $9 and get pretty much to all the tourist sites (I checked their site recently, and it is still posted as $9 for an all day pass). I'm sure 138east will have some more info if they are watching this post. I think they stated that renting a car is a "must not" for Boston.

Thanks, great advice, but I was asking about venturing farther afield. I'm not good with traffic, so I already vetoed driving in Boston proper. Thanks!

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:14 AM
10,000+ Club

Did you figure out what you want to do? Where do you want to go if you get out of town? One strategy would be to look for a hotel along route 128 on Hotwire - I see a lot of really good deals on these hotels (many are identifiable) compared to the downtown Boston hotels. You can rent a car at Logan Airport, go through the Ted Williams Tunnel and get on the Mass Pike very easily as long as you're not trying to do this at afternoon rush hour. Staying in the Waltham/Newton or Burlington/Woburn area would give you easy access to Lexington and Concord and a short drive up to the Salem area. If you want to go up to New Hampshire, you would also have easy access to route 3.

Carol

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138east View Post
Did you figure out what you want to do? Where do you want to go if you get out of town? One strategy would be to look for a hotel along route 128 on Hotwire - I see a lot of really good deals on these hotels (many are identifiable) compared to the downtown Boston hotels. You can rent a car at Logan Airport, go through the Ted Williams Tunnel and get on the Mass Pike very easily as long as you're not trying to do this at afternoon rush hour. Staying in the Waltham/Newton or Burlington/Woburn area would give you easy access to Lexington and Concord and a short drive up to the Salem area. If you want to go up to New Hampshire, you would also have easy access to route 3.

Good advice! Things have been so busy here, we literally have not had a chance to plan this trip well yet or come up with a route. At the very least, I think we need to book a hotel and flight, and car soon---the rest we can fill in as time draws nearer. I think we'll fly in 3-4 days before the cruise, which will give us time to explore a bit. The last day, we'll wander aroung Boston itself. For now, we're concentrating on 2 impending grandchildren, loads of overtime, and the Pacific coastal cruise end of April. We finally plotted tours and things-to-see for that one. Thanks for your advice---it does make more sense to stay outside of Boston, except maybe that last night. Still dreading traffic in any form. A Star Trek transporter would be handy...

Old May 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I like the Marriott Long Wharf right on the waterfront. It's next to the aquarium and IMAX theater and across the street from Quincy Market.

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are booked at the Hampton Inn Airport pre-cruise. They will pick us up from airport and for $10 pp take us to the cruise terminal the next day. Post-cruise we are staying at the Courtyard Copey Square for 3 days. Can anyone tell me if we made a good choice or not. This is our first time to Boston.

Norwegian Pearl Alaska June 2013
Carnival Glory New England/Canada June 2012
Holland Amsterdam 14 days June 2010
NCL Star Alaska June 2009
Holland Volendam B to B 14 Day Alaskan June 2008
Sun Princess Alaska May 2007
Carnival Sensation Caribbean July 2006
Carnival Glory Caribbean January 2006
Carnival Elation Caribbean May 2005
Carnival Celebration Caribbean May 2004
Carnival Holiday Caribbean October 2003

Old May 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Courtyard Copley Square is a well located, relatively new (under 7 years old) property. Limited services, as a Courtyard will be, but there are 100 places to eat and 200 places to shop within a mile.

As opposed to the Hampton Inn which is in the middle of an Industrial area. Keep the windows closed!

Last edited by Nitemare; May 16th, 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Old May 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3536 View Post
We are booked at the Hampton Inn Airport pre-cruise. They will pick us up from airport and for $10 pp take us to the cruise terminal the next day. Post-cruise we are staying at the Courtyard Copey Square for 3 days. Can anyone tell me if we made a good choice or not. This is our first time to Boston.
What exact date are you booked at the Hampton Inn? What time do you arrive at Logan. What are you paying for the HI?

Courtyard Copley sounds fine, but what are the exact dates and what are you paying per night?

Can't tell you if you made a good choice without knowing more details.

Carol

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138east View Post
What exact date are you booked at the Hampton Inn? What time do you arrive at Logan. What are you paying for the HI?

Courtyard Copley sounds fine, but what are the exact dates and what are you paying per night?

Can't tell you if you made a good choice without knowing more details.
June 22 at HI for $199 we arrive at 5pm, Courtyard is June 28 - July 1 for $250 per night.
I can't believe how high the rooms are but I can't find anything cheaper. In the Texas Panhandle a $150 gets you a suite.

Norwegian Pearl Alaska June 2013
Carnival Glory New England/Canada June 2012
Holland Amsterdam 14 days June 2010
NCL Star Alaska June 2009
Holland Volendam B to B 14 Day Alaskan June 2008
Sun Princess Alaska May 2007
Carnival Sensation Caribbean July 2006
Carnival Glory Caribbean January 2006
Carnival Elation Caribbean May 2005
Carnival Celebration Caribbean May 2004
Carnival Holiday Caribbean October 2003

Old May 16th, 2012, 10:28 PM
10,000+ Club

I have some better suggestions for you.

June 22 - look at aa.com - the Westin Waterfront (4*) is $146.31 + tax. This will put you in the Waterfront area of South Boston several blocks from the pier. This is a great deal and just perfect as a late day arrival pre cruise hotel. There are good restaurants within walking distance or you can take a quick Silver Line ride into downtown. The cab fare from Logan will be $20-25, which you'd have to pay the next morning anyway. You can also get there easily from the airport on the Silver Line "T" for $2/pp with a 1 block walk with luggage. Cab to the port should be less than $10.

June 28-July 1 - Unfortunately this is the lead in to the 4th of July holiday extravaganza in Boston, so hotel prices are very high. The Courtyard at $250 is reasonable. There's nothing much on Hotwire. On aa.com the Hilton Back Bay (close to the Courtyard) is $194.64 + tax. This hotel would be on the west side of the Prudential Center whereas the Courtyard is on the North side of Copley Place - both in the same general location. If the Courtyard is $250+ tax, I'd definitely stay at the Hilton which is a 3.5* hotel and is connected to the Prudential shops which are connected by a walkway to Copley Place.

You won't get a suite, but these are both very very nice hotels with lots of amenities. Post back and let us know what you decide to do.

Carol