Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old March 17th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Forgot to mention that we remove half the auto gratuity charged to our account. We think it fair that some of the staff that are not always serving us (Buffett waiters, etc) should be rewarded. We tip those who give us good service directly with cash via an envelope at the end of the cruise. We do turn up on the last night to farewell our wait staff.
Coming from a country where tipping is not part of our culture, New Zealand, it isn't a hardship to reward GOOD service. I've walked out of restaurants in the USA without tipping. I won't tip if the service is none existent! The only time the wait staff acknowledged me was when they realized there was no tip forthcoming. Tipping is for service, it's not a birthright!

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey guys,
You're on holiday. The crew works pretty hard to please you.
You can't take $ with you when you finally go... so be generous - and enjoy !

Old April 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default NewtoCruise

Regarding "suggested" tips on cruise ships. I think the author must be part of the cruise ship industry receiving the tips -- if I were to tip according to his suggestions, it would be 1/4 of the cost of the cruise. I suggest that the cruise lines pay their employees more -- we have already paid a huge amount for the cruise in general.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Exploitation of Crew Members

Just read this today

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/05...stry-practice/

Definitely food for thought ?

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:20 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco 09 View Post
Just read this today

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/05...stry-practice/

Definitely food for thought ?
While I don't agree with the change in policy, this article is extremely biased, to the point of nonsense. The general assumption is that the crew will be given the tips, and when that happens, their pay is much more reasonable. It is extremely misleading to talk in terms that it will be common for the base salary to be the only compensation, because that just will not happen on a regular basis. The line would fire the employee, and quickly, if they don't make the marks required to get the tips.

What I predict will happen is that if they keep this model, then the crew will spend a significant amount of time informing the passengers that they need to have very high marks on their evaluations, or else they will not get paid.

To be honest, I don't want to hear that while I'm on a cruise, I would prefer a system that allowed me to evaluate the staff honestly, not so that they can be denied their pay, but so that they can be helped to improve their product.

I don't think this system will last long. If I were a passenger, I would be furious, and I would be very adamant about letting the management know that. I would simply refuse to participate in a system that allowed other passengers to have any say in whether or not MY tip money was distributed to the folks that I was intending to tip. It's MY decision, and nobody else's. The only "score" that matters is my score of how their service was for me.

Theron
Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [126 days at sea! and counting!]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]

Old May 11th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuizer2 View Post
Well, the author is entitled to his opinion regarding tipping. I don't agree with everything he said and I'll just leave it at that.
The author must have more financial means than the average cruiser to be able to be that generous. I always cruise in an inside cabin for the cost factor but I have no problem with paying the tips automatically added to the cruise fare. If and only if I receive service above and beyond the expected do I feel the urge to tip extra, and this is how it should be. I have never not tipped the cruise recommended amount even with poor service because I know that they are paid poorly. But if the service if inferior through out I voice my dislike by booking on a different cruise line next time. The crew work very hard for little pay and they should get to tip.

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am offended that Cruise Critic have published this guide to tipping.

If anything, cruise lines should be discouraged from the tipping way of doing things, put prices up and pay their staff a fair wage.

An article in the British press about P&O paying staff members 75pence a day has discouraged potential cruisers from cruising.

I will happily provide a guide for tipping for Cruise Critic, that isn't balanced in the way of cruise lines, but rather fair amounts - goodness knows how rich the author of this guide is

because tipping is part of the American culture, doesn;t make it right.

RCI Independence of the Seas (English Channel) May 2014 **
X Equinox (Central America) December 2013 ***
X Infinity (North Atlantic) July 2013 *
X Reflection (Mediterranean) May 2013 ***
X Summit (Caribbean) January 2013 *
X Summit (Caribbean) January 2013 *
X Solstice (Mediterranean) August 2012 ***
RCI Navigator of the Seas (Transatlantic) April 2012 ***
RCI Liberty of the Seas (Mediterranean) June 2011 ***
RCI Allure of the Seas (Caribbean) January 2011 ****
X Eclipse (Caribbean) January 2011 ****
RCI Adventure of the Seas (Mediterranean) June 2010 ***
RCI Adventure of the Seas (Mediterranean) May 2010 ***
RCI Brilliance of the Seas (Middle East) January 2010 **
RCI Navigator of the Seas (Mediterranean) May 2009 ***
Carnival Freedom (Caribbean) February 2009 ***
Carnival Valor (Caribbean) May 2008 ***
Carnival Triumph (Caribbean) January 2008 **
Carnival Ecstacy (Caribbean) January 2000 **

RCI Allure Review - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=77585
RCI Brilliance Review - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=62706
Carnival Freedom Review - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=925760
Carnival Triumph Review - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=37364

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by compman9 View Post
I am offended that Cruise Critic have published this guide to tipping.

If anything, cruise lines should be discouraged from the tipping way of doing things, put prices up and pay their staff a fair wage.

An article in the British press about P&O paying staff members 75pence a day has discouraged potential cruisers from cruising.

I will happily provide a guide for tipping for Cruise Critic, that isn't balanced in the way of cruise lines, but rather fair amounts - goodness knows how rich the author of this guide is

because tipping is part of the American culture, doesn;t make it right.
And to point out the blatantly obvious: just because tipping isn't a part of British culture, doesn't make it wrong either, despite your implications to the contrary.

As I've stated before, the new P&O policy is abhorrent and the media coverage of it has been downright deceitful, probably in a deliberate attempt to elicit such reactions as we have seen here. Those things have nothing to do with what we know as the traditional tipping model for the cruise industry.

It is my opinion that the voluntary tipping model is still the best solution for all involved. It is changing with the advent of alternative dining venues, because it clouds the view of why the traditional dining room staff should still be tipped, and that may eventually cause the end of the traditional tipping model, but until then, I believe it's the best for all.

Theron
Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [126 days at sea! and counting!]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default That's one way to view it.

Quote:
Why don't you just be honest and tell the cabin steward that you are offering this bribe (which is what payment before the service is rendered is - since a tip is supposed to be thanks for good service) since you don't think (s)he will provide you good service unless you offer the bribe.
There's an bit of truth to what you say, yet I don't agree. In part because my wife has extra needs we like to reward them in advance. It seems to be successful. In part because unlike the author it's not likely I 'll see these folks again; unlike my local restaurants. Please note that the author tips some folks on a nightly basis,knowing he'll be back--is that a bribe?

Again what you do works for you, no crime in that.

The original query, $20 is okay, me ? For 14 days I'd do 50 at the beginning and another at the end. But that's just us. Please don't take offense if you do it differently.

Old November 21st, 2012, 04:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlyk View Post
I reckon that tipping is a throwback to the days of slavery. People should be paid a proper wage and that's that. I feel awkward giving a grown fellow-man or woman a few dollars.

The cruise line, showing no pity, demeans them by paying them peanuts for being from a less fortunate country; then they tug at our sensibilities to give these people charity, when what they crave for, and should be getting, is equality.

Tipping makes me feel an accomplice in demeaning their worth as human beings; by tipping I am confirming their inferiority and that they are not worth a proper wage in the first place.

But having said all this, I know I must tip and I do; otherwise I would be robbing them.

I hate the idea of tipping but there is no way I wouldn't pay it in these circumstances. I also advise other first time Aussie cruisers to pay it even though it is so much against the grain of Aussie sensibilities and workplace culture-where everyone gets a proper wage. (Restaurant waiters would get $30+ per hour in Australia). Some cruise lines operating out of Australia are now adding the tip into the overall price of the cruise.

A few times I considered "doing my own thing" on tipping but I was told that whatever I give one person in their hands has to be put into the "tipping heap" and shared equally any way. I was told this by senior pursers on Holland America and Princess more than once.

The author's "Tipping Table" is just too hard. I don't want to go round the ship dropping cash and envelopes so I just pay whatever the ship says I should pay and let them work it out. I don't care if they double it or triple it as I know that really it's part of the price of the cruise and they separate it to make the advertised price look cheaper.

I also don't believe that the Europeans started this but that it is a US custom.

I would much happier to pay a bit more for my cruise to enable the cruiseline to pay the crew a proper wage.
I have to agree with this comment, i think its so wrong for these companies to expect passangers to foot the bill for service staff, they shoudl be paid a decent wage or the cost has to increase. We are going on our first cruise and im really worried about what to tip, when, how etc.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Why don't you just be honest and tell the cabin steward that you are offering this bribe (which is what payment before the service is rendered is - since a tip is supposed to be thanks for good service) since you don't think (s)he will provide you good service unless you offer the bribe.
Tip is---> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity

Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gratuities

I will be on my second Holland Alaskan Cruise next summer and I want to thank you so much for this information. On my first cruise, internet was not widely available, and I am embarrassed to say that I was not aware of paying an additional grattuity besides the automatic addon. At dinner that last night I was frantically trying to scrape together some cash when I realized other passengers were slipping money to the wonderful people who waited on us. We had wonderful service and they made me feel like a queen. I loved being pampered like that!!! I do not begrudge them one cent of the add on fees plus the other gratuities for their exceptional service. I will definitely be prepared with plenty of cash for next summer's cruise and hopefully many others. I love cruising.

I do not believe the addon gratuities should be adjusted because it is the custom in other countries to assume tips are not expected. If people do not want to pay what is expected, then they should cruise in their own country. That is, assuming you get adequate service during the cruise. If you do not get good service from one crew member, that is not an excuse to cancel the addon grattuity. I may not agree completely with the experts advise on what to tip, but this has certainly given me guidelines and I am very grateful.

Old January 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Interesting this thread has been going on for over 2 years. The last couple pages cinch it for me.
If I'm expected to give a tip, and the person or persons whom I want to receive that tip has less than a 92% rating, so the cruise line doesn't pass my gratuity along to said person. Why give it in the first place?
If I'm expected to give a tip, and that tip goes to someone on a totally different ship, why give it in the first place.
All tips from now on will be hand delivered by me, to the person intended, just like it was when we first started cruising. That way no confusion, money is the hands of those whose service and attitude relieved it from my pocket, and they are free to do with it as they please once it's in their pocket. I can't rely on the cruise lines to handle my gratuities as I wish, so I will take that responsibility away from them and handle it myself.

Old April 4th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Tipping guide

I found this article very informative.
Now I would like to know for a European cruise whst currency should I tip? U.D. dollars or Euros?
I think I'll ask this in another forum too.
Thx

Old April 18th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great Article!

Excellent article, thanks so much for posting. I agree with your guidelines and advice. It would be a breath of fresh air if some cruisers stopped niggling the cruise lines for "Nickle and Diming" and realized that often they are the ones "nickle and diming" the staff, to get out of a monetary "Thanks for the great service". Not everyone, but some...

Pay it up folks. Good comes back to you!

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Celebrity Eclipse | Southampton - Gibraltar, France, Rome and the Mediterranean September 2014
Diamond Princess | Whittier, Alaska to Beijing, China - 15 Nights September 2013
Celebrity Millennium | Panama -South & Central America October 2012 (B2B)
Celebrity Millennium | Hawaii October 2012 (B2B)
Celebrity Eclipse | Southampton - Adriatic and Western Mediterranean September 2011
Celebrity Summit | NE & Canada September 2010 (B2B)
Celebrity Summit |Bermuda September 2010 (B2B)
Celebrity Infinity | Panama Canal September 2009
Pacific Princess | Amazon River & FW Indies / Caribbean April 2009
Celebrity Constellation | Barcelona / Transatlantic Crossing September 2008
Celebrity Millennium | Eastern Caribbean February 2008
Celebrity Constellation | Scandinavia / Baltic September 2007
Celebrity Mercury | Mexico October 2006
Celebrity Constellation | NE & Canada October2005
Celebrity Mercury | Alaska July 2001
Carnival Ecstasy | Baja October 1998

Last edited by Mermen; April 18th, 2013 at 03:10 PM.

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

The article says one thing, then all the replies say a different thing.

Sorry, but this hasn't been helpful at all.

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

That is what boards are for, to give people an opportunity to provide feedback, thoughts, etc. Just as you have done. Some may be relevant, and some not so much.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Celebrity Eclipse | Southampton - Gibraltar, France, Rome and the Mediterranean September 2014
Diamond Princess | Whittier, Alaska to Beijing, China - 15 Nights September 2013
Celebrity Millennium | Panama -South & Central America October 2012 (B2B)
Celebrity Millennium | Hawaii October 2012 (B2B)
Celebrity Eclipse | Southampton - Adriatic and Western Mediterranean September 2011
Celebrity Summit | NE & Canada September 2010 (B2B)
Celebrity Summit |Bermuda September 2010 (B2B)
Celebrity Infinity | Panama Canal September 2009
Pacific Princess | Amazon River & FW Indies / Caribbean April 2009
Celebrity Constellation | Barcelona / Transatlantic Crossing September 2008
Celebrity Millennium | Eastern Caribbean February 2008
Celebrity Constellation | Scandinavia / Baltic September 2007
Celebrity Mercury | Mexico October 2006
Celebrity Constellation | NE & Canada October2005
Celebrity Mercury | Alaska July 2001
Carnival Ecstasy | Baja October 1998

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thoughts

the newspaper article advised P&O and others pay staff $400 per month- they forgot to mention food and board is provided free of charge. Returning workers, get more.
Also to send $400 home per month, keeps the family very well in most 3rd world countries.
If a waiter has 10-12 covers per sailing, he gets 5-6 tips end of cruise tips of maybe $20 each = $100 on average a week (less for longer trips) + plus any extra from his share of the compulsory charges.
A barman could make $10-$15 a night= $80+ per cruise.
If a cruise can hold 3000 customers @ approx compulsory tips of $70per person, thats a fair amount of money going round.
How much is passed to the staff? Does the Captain, engine room boys get the same share?
Why are some so fixated about tips, why do we not tip fast food staff, banktellers, checkout staff, travel agents, customs officers, police, firemen, doctors,nurses, stewardess on planes, office staff etc etc ?? They all provide a service.
Tips are like the British Welfare state, where many pay in, but many more expect a payout

Old September 10th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlyk View Post
I reckon that tipping is a throwback to the days of slavery. People should be paid a proper wage and that's that. I feel awkward giving a grown fellow-man or woman a few dollars.

The cruise line, showing no pity, demeans them by paying them peanuts for being from a less fortunate country; then they tug at our sensibilities to give these people charity, when what they crave for, and should be getting, is equality.

Tipping makes me feel an accomplice in demeaning their worth as human beings; by tipping I am confirming their inferiority and that they are not worth a proper wage in the first place.

But having said all this, I know I must tip and I do; otherwise I would be robbing them.

I hate the idea of tipping but there is no way I wouldn't pay it in these circumstances. I also advise other first time Aussie cruisers to pay it even though it is so much against the grain of Aussie sensibilities and workplace culture-where everyone gets a proper wage. (Restaurant waiters would get $30+ per hour in Australia). Some cruise lines operating out of Australia are now adding the tip into the overall price of the cruise.

A few times I considered "doing my own thing" on tipping but I was told that whatever I give one person in their hands has to be put into the "tipping heap" and shared equally any way. I was told this by senior pursers on Holland America and Princess more than once.

The author's "Tipping Table" is just too hard. I don't want to go round the ship dropping cash and envelopes so I just pay whatever the ship says I should pay and let them work it out. I don't care if they double it or triple it as I know that really it's part of the price of the cruise and they separate it to make the advertised price look cheaper.

I also don't believe that the Europeans started this but that it is a US custom.

I would much happier to pay a bit more for my cruise to enable the cruiseline to pay the crew a proper wage.
What an idiotic belief! I have been a tipped employee much of my life. I am educated and hard working. Serving is sales to me. I am NOT demeaned by your tip, but certainly by your lack of tip.

UPCOMING FUN:

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old September 10th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

interesting article mentioned the times

http://consumerist.com/2013/09/09/pe...#more-10137354