Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:26 AM
cruisemom42's Avatar
cruisemom42 cruisemom42 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,043
Default Need recommendations for face sunscreen

I love the daily sunscreen that I use at home under my tinted moisturizer. But on my recent travels, I realized that when I'm outside and active, the sunscreen gets into my eyes and stings. (Not normally a problem since I'm usually in an office all day....).

Can anyone suggest a good sunscreen for the face that doesn't run and/or doesn't sting if it gets into the eyes? I'm talking about use for active sightseeing, not for wearing at the beach or pool.

Thanks!
__________________
Little by little, one travels far. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Hoyaheel's Avatar
Hoyaheel Hoyaheel is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,099
Default

My husband does a lot of outdoor work, and he shaves his head, so he has pretty strict requirements for sunscreen. He typically uses ones that are SPF50 and "sweat" resistant - the "sport" versions - to prevent eye stinging.

He's had some skin issues and we've played with physical blocks instead of chemical blocks. In the past, he never liked the white tint that remains - even when it's not "supposed" to. However- I found a CVS version that he really likes. He says applying it is like applying paste, but it STAYS in place - doesn't drip in his eyes -AND it doesn't leave a white film like some of the titanium or zinc dioxide versions do.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...ump&navCount=3

Personally - I use the Neutrogena ultra dry sheer spf 70 - but it's not great for sweat resistance. (actually, right now I'm using a Target store brand version of the Neutrogena ;-)
__________________

Upcoming: Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
DivasDare's Avatar
DivasDare DivasDare is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
My husband does a lot of outdoor work, and he shaves his head, so he has pretty strict requirements for sunscreen. He typically uses ones that are SPF50 and "sweat" resistant - the "sport" versions - to prevent eye stinging.

He's had some skin issues and we've played with physical blocks instead of chemical blocks. In the past, he never liked the white tint that remains - even when it's not "supposed" to. However- I found a CVS version that he really likes. He says applying it is like applying paste, but it STAYS in place - doesn't drip in his eyes -AND it doesn't leave a white film like some of the titanium or zinc dioxide versions do.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...ump&navCount=3

Personally - I use the Neutrogena ultra dry sheer spf 70 - but it's not great for sweat resistance. (actually, right now I'm using a Target store brand version of the Neutrogena ;-)
Thanks for the suggestion of the CVS brand. I've used Neutrogena religiously, but it burns my eyes so. I've also tried Korres as well. I like their after sun product for the face, it is very soothing.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hoyaheel's Avatar
Hoyaheel Hoyaheel is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,099
Default

The nice thing about that CVS sunscreen is it's not very expensive, so try it - if it doesn't work, give it to a friend or leave it in your pool/gym bag in case someone you're with needs some, whatever. Better than spending $50 on something that doesn't work for you My husband is so picky about sunscreens- if I see something that might be good - I'll grab it to try (and if he doesn't like it - I'll end up using it at some point) Good luck!
__________________

Upcoming: Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM
cruisemom42's Avatar
cruisemom42 cruisemom42 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,043
Default

I'm not sure that a physical block is what I need; the idea of putting on something like paste isn't what I was envisioning! I won't be doing heavy work or be out in really hot temps -- so at most I'd be "glowing" not sweating. I really just want something similar to the moisturizer/sunscreen I'm using now but that won't make my eyes sting.
__________________
Little by little, one travels far. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Hoyaheel's Avatar
Hoyaheel Hoyaheel is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemom42 View Post
I really just want something similar to the moisturizer/sunscreen I'm using now but that won't make my eyes sting.
Very few of the sunscreens for sensitive skin are sweat resistant. I sweat, so that's what I go for on days I'm doing more than commuting to my office. If you don't sweat (eg you're serious when you say you only glow ;-), you might be able to get away with a sensitive skin formula. Otherwise, just try a sweat resistant/sport sunscreen. Most brands make them. Some even make them for faces specifically. We've also used Baby Faces in the past with good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Tropi.../dp/B001ET6YF6
__________________

Upcoming: Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986

Last edited by Hoyaheel; April 11th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
cruisemom42's Avatar
cruisemom42 cruisemom42 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Very few of the sunscreens for sensitive skin are sweat resistant. I sweat, so that's what I go for on days I'm doing more than commuting to my office. If you don't sweat (eg you're serious when you say you only glow ;-), you might be able to get away with a sensitive skin formula. Otherwise, just try a sweat resistant/sport sunscreen. Most brands make them. Some even make them for faces specifically. We've also used Baby Faces in the past with good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Tropi.../dp/B001ET6YF6

Thanks, I like the idea of trying the Baby Faces sunblock. (And it comes with a travel size bottle, yay!)
__________________
Little by little, one travels far. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
cb at sea cb at sea is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, va. USA
Posts: 62,390
Default

I like Coppertone for Faces...it's "whipped" and lightweight. I think there are storebrands with the same formulation. No "stinging" that I've ever experienced!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
jlrn366419 jlrn366419 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 733
Default

Some of the mineral makeup offers some sun protection. I've also seen mineral powder sunscreen...I think Bare Escentuals and Peter Thomas Roth have them but not 100% sure. There are probably others. I've worn regular BE foundation out in the sun without getting burned but I have not tested it with heavy sweating and strong sun. Might be worth a shot.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:56 PM
CHEZMARYLOU CHEZMARYLOU is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 2,193
Default

I use Clinique moisturizer and also use their sun block for faces if I'm going to be in strong sun or in the water, especially if I am not using makeup. It protects but does not sting if it gets in my eye. My DH uses it also on his face and head.

Mary Lou
__________________


Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM
jdechter's Avatar
jdechter jdechter is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: west hills ca us
Posts: 4,676
Default ocean potion

ocean potion face spf 45 in a little jar, lasts, doesn't clog pores, made for surfers. its a great product.
__________________
11 Princess Cruises
11 CCL
5 RCL
4 NCL
6 Celebrity Cruises
1 Paul Gauguin





Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM
jdechter's Avatar
jdechter jdechter is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: west hills ca us
Posts: 4,676
Default really good!

Ocean Potion Face Potion Clear Zinc SPF 45 1 oz

Goes on Clear Zinc Oxide is known worldwide for its sun protection qualities.
Face Potion SPF 45 goes on clear and protects the skin against both UVA & UVB sun rays.
Can be used on face, nose, ears, and even lips.
It is ideal for all outdoor activities.
•Won't Clog Pores
•Hypo-Allergenic
•Fragrance-Free
•Non-Greasy
•Absorbs Quickly
•Very Water Resistant
__________________
11 Princess Cruises
11 CCL
5 RCL
4 NCL
6 Celebrity Cruises
1 Paul Gauguin





Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM
snowbirds2's Avatar
snowbirds2 snowbirds2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 175
Default

I used the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer for face SPF 65 on our last cruise and didn't have a problem with it stinging my eyes. First sunblock I've found that I don't mind using on my face.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:17 PM
cruisemom42's Avatar
cruisemom42 cruisemom42 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,043
Default

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm not a "bare minerals" fan, but it's good info for folks that use it. I do like Neutrogena products, so maybe I will give that a try first.

I also like Clinique -- what is the SPF of their sun block face product?
__________________
Little by little, one travels far. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:30 PM
RumRunner01's Avatar
RumRunner01 RumRunner01 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oceano, CA, USA
Posts: 1,034
Default

The only thing that has ever worked for me to avoid the stinging eye thing is using the stick. Banana Boat and Hawaiian Tropic make a stick that I put on my forehead and face and then rub in. It does not run into my eye when I sweat or swim or snorkel. It does not make me break out or anything. Works great.
__________________
---------------------------------
AMY

11. Celebrity Equinox - Family & Friends Together Again - Ultimate Western Caribbean 01/20/14
10. Celebrity Silhouette - SS Coachella - Bahamas 12/16/12
9. Allure of the Seas - Amanda & Eric's Honeymoon Group Cruise Part II - Eastern Caribbean 03/18/12
8. Liberty of the Seas - Amanda & Eric's Honeymoon Group Cruise Part I - Western Caribbean 03/12/12
7. Radiance of the Seas - Friend's Birthday Cruise - Mexican Riviera 10/24/09
6. Monarch of the Seas - Goodbye Monarch! - Mexican Riviera 09/26/08
5. Monarch of the Seas - My Birthday Cruise - Mexican Riviera 12/07/07
4. Serenade of the Seas - Panama Canal Full Transit 04/21/07
3. Monarch of the Seas - Family Christmas at Sea - Mexican Riviera 12/23/05
2. Tahitian Princess - Thanksgiving in Paradise - French Polynesia 11/20/05
1. Adventure of the Seas - Very First Cruise! Exotic Southern Caribbean 05/02/04

See my pics!
http://community.webshots.com/user/r...host=community

Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:07 AM
CuTiAngel CuTiAngel is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemom42 View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm not a "bare minerals" fan, but it's good info for folks that use it. I do like Neutrogena products, so maybe I will give that a try first.

I also like Clinique -- what is the SPF of their sun block face product?
Since you like Clinique, you may want to look into their new BB cream which is moisturizer, spf30, and sheer foundation all in one. It's $37.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hoyaheel's Avatar
Hoyaheel Hoyaheel is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechter View Post
Ocean Potion Face Potion Clear Zinc SPF 45 goes on clear
My husband disagrees This is one of the products he's tried and does not like the white film it leaves. So it's in my toiletry kit now - I hate waste
__________________

Upcoming: Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM
cruisemom42's Avatar
cruisemom42 cruisemom42 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuTiAngel View Post
Since you like Clinique, you may want to look into their new BB cream which is moisturizer, spf30, and sheer foundation all in one. It's $37.
But does it sting if it gets in your eyes? That's the main issue I have with my Aveeno moisturizer/sunscreen now. I love it otherwise, just can't use it when I'm likely to be outside sightseeing. My eyes water in the wind and sun, then I rub them and the sunscreen gets into them. I need something that won't cause this problem because it stings terribly.

Just recently it nearly ruined my day's sightseeing at Pompeii because once it got into my eye, it just kept stinging and watering the rest of the day.
__________________
Little by little, one travels far. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:02 AM
The J Project The J Project is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 33
Smile You've gotta try this!

I love a sunscreen called Colorescience It's a tinted powder so it goes on like a mineral powder so it doesn't make your face oily, or smear or have that sunscreen smell. You can check out my recent review of it here: http://www.thejproject2010.blogspot....y-jessica.html
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:20 AM
CuTiAngel CuTiAngel is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemom42 View Post
But does it sting if it gets in your eyes? That's the main issue I have with my Aveeno moisturizer/sunscreen now. I love it otherwise, just can't use it when I'm likely to be outside sightseeing. My eyes water in the wind and sun, then I rub them and the sunscreen gets into them. I need something that won't cause this problem because it stings terribly.

Just recently it nearly ruined my day's sightseeing at Pompeii because once it got into my eye, it just kept stinging and watering the rest of the day.
Unlike drugstore brands, the clinique counter at Macy's wlii let you try it before committing to buying one. :-)
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.