Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have had the same today, looking around today at our cruise in a few weeks time for us to upgrade from oceanview to balcony was going to cost around £150 or so, so rung up to upgrade and was told that as its not a new booking it would actually be nearly £1000 to upgrade! Just a joke, personally I think stinks, if I was asking for a free upgrade fair enough, but I am willing to pay for the move, but they wont have it unless its at the stupid rate! So told em to forget it!
Independence of the Seas - May 2008
Carnival Splendor - July 2008
Independence of the Seas - August 2008
Aurora - November 2008
Navigator of the Seas - May 2009
Independence of the Seas - August 2009
Celebrity Eclipse - April 2010
Independence of the Seas - November 2010
Costa Concordia - June 2011
Crown Princess - July 2011
Arcadia - December 2011
Brilliance of the Seas - May 2012
Ventura - July 2012

Old April 13th, 2012, 09:36 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulber View Post
Can anyone tell me were it would say for new bookings only.
It doesn't say anywhere on the website that price shown is for new bookings only, the site sees you as a new customer and therefore shows the cheapest best price.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

It may be worth trying again though...sometimes a different agent will see things differently....doesn't hurt to try perhaps.

Liz
Imma Critter # 1
Elizanessie@aol.com

Quantum Launchers International Critters & Pink Boa Society ~ Making the world a smaller place.

International Critters Gear QN 11/2 Maiden -http://www.cafepress.com/internation...rsmaidenvoyage
(double click link)

Old April 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

I keep a price point on the value of a balcony of about $20 per person per day. So on a seven day cruise I'd be willing to spend about $280 more to have a balcony. But that's just me. The value is different for everyone. But $50 is pretty much a no-brainer.

Maid of the Mist Every Summer since 2002
Splendor of the Seas February 2006
Legend of the Seas February 2007
Jewel of the Seas April 2008
Voyager of the Seas April 2009
Enchantment of the Seas July 2009
Granduer of the Seas April 2010
Navigator of the Seas August 2010
Radiance of the Seas February 2011
Freedom of the Seas August 2011
Jewel of the Seas February 2012
Freedom of the Seas August 2012
Navigator of the Seas February 2013
Allure of the Seas August 2013
Serenade of the Seas February 2014
Freedom of the seas August 2014

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

I called the US number today and upgraded from an interior to a balcony guarantee for a grand total of 8 euros

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default No Brainer

We won't cruise unless it is a balcony and now that we've tried the Junior Suite, we are in trouble! But, we will go back to a regular balcony. We spend lots of time in the room. We do not go to the pool too much. Going to the balcony every night and morning is excellent as well as reading out there.

Carol

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol28 View Post
We won't cruise unless it is a balcony and now that we've tried the Junior Suite, we are in trouble! But, we will go back to a regular balcony. We spend lots of time in the room. We do not go to the pool too much. Going to the balcony every night and morning is excellent as well as reading out there.
Totally agree with you. Nothing like a balcony, especially an aft balcony!

Old April 13th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickrepeat View Post
I called the US number today and upgraded from an interior to a balcony guarantee for a grand total of 8 euros
Where did you do your original booking? I really think that this policy of 'new bookings only' is rubbish. It cannot cost RCI any more and as I said on another thread about the same topic, it must really upset guests to know that their neighbours could have paid so much less than them. A little flexibility in terms of upgrading could make for much happier campers (who in the end might be more willing to spend on board and be loyal repeat customers).

I am reasonably happy with my hump balcony, although I am fully expecting the price to drop. I booked early because I wanted to 'sort out' my holiday once and for all, but if there is a price drop I would like to think I was given some sort of 'treat'. I am not holding my breath

Voyager of the Seas July 2006 Western Med 2292
Jewel of the Seas July 2007 Baltic -cant remember the stateroom, I just remember that we had a brilliant time!
Adventure of the Seas July 2010 Western Med 7289
Liberty of the Seas July 2011 Western Med 7331 and 7329
Adventure of the Seas July 2012 Western Med (they just get better) 6616
Norwegian Epic July 2013 - Western Med well at least we are going on a different line this time

so many more cruises to come I hope

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickrepeat View Post
Clickrepeat I tried the usa number for international enquiries and she said that she thought I should have been able to upgrade to the balcony but I would have to contact the uk people as I had booked in the uk.

She gave me the head office number and I phoned them but although the lady was helpful I was told that the cheaper prices were for new customers only, she said to keep checking the prices and phone again as something might come up that isn't just for new bookings

Meanwhile I've just noticed our ov guarantee has gone down by £200pp.I think I'll wait till last minute in future.

Last edited by wulber; April 13th, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Old April 14th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I booked through the RC Netherlands website as I currently live there. At the bottom of the Dutch page is a big +1 number. Called up and got quoted in dollars for my upgrade, had a bit of a back and forth with the guy and in the end managed to get upgraded from a Q interior room to an X balcony guarantee for just 8 euros. Chuffed doesn't even describe it!

Persistence definitely seemed to be the key.

Old April 14th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

That was a great result for you.
The person I spoke to in the usa said they couldn't help as I had booked in the uk.
It was a freephone number I called and she transfered me to the international customer assistance in Miami.