Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old April 7th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I second that, it was a miracle for sure. The student pilot and the instructor pilot both stayed with the aircraft long as possible prior to punching out. When I was at K I Sawyer AFB we had a B52 blowup and it broke windows everywhere on base. The plane was scattered all over the runway after doing a touch and go; and no one was seriously killed either. Says allot about the training our armed forces pilots receive.

Old April 8th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine's Mom View Post
Hello everyone

I just wanted to let everyone know about our Easter miricle here in Virginia Beach. Yesterday around noon a navy fighter jet came crashing down into an apartment. Building. There was massive damage to the complex but the miricle is no one was killed or even hurt very badly. When the pilot was found all he could say is I'm sorry Ihit your apartment. Both pilots are fine and I think 4 other people were treated and released.

I know a lot of people lost a lot of stuff but I have to ffeel that GOD sent us an EASTER miricle with no loss of life.

The jets fly low enough to see the pilots eye Colorado.

OMG! It was all over our news here in Los Angeles. We're so glad that there was no loss of life. It must be so scary to watch these planes fly overhead, so low.....everyone must be very grateful that everyone was spared. Of course, if you live in the apartment building without any insurance, you're not feeling so lucky.

We wish everyone a joyous and loving holiday time.

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-HAL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-HAL~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007~HAL-2007~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess~2013-Princess~2014-Princess

Old April 8th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiemom View Post
Praise the Lord!

Happy Passover and Happy Easter to all!
Marcia, I hope your Hawaii cruise was as wonderful as my coastal.

Remember, Sapphire Princess with Roz & Horty on October 6th.

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-HAL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-HAL~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007~HAL-2007~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess~2013-Princess~2014-Princess

Old April 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Happy holidays to all!

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Its Grand Baby time......

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post

Wonderful......look at that little boys "macho pants!" So cute! Congratulations! Enjoy them....they tend to grow-up even faster than our children did, for some reason!!!!!!

Old April 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Did I tell you guys how easy-peasy the meeting between the Agricultural inspectors/Immigration and Horton went on my last cruise?

I can't stress to you enough how important it is to have ALL your paperwork together to speed-up the process.

We met in Vivaldi Dining room at 7:30am, the morning that we docked in Ensenada - [I fed Horton his breakfast and went down.]

There were two Immigration officials/4 folks from the Agricultural Dept. of Mexico and 2 crew members [talk about over-kill], seriously, was all this really necessary? They were in full uniform, with guns and all!

One Immigration person asked to see Horton's "original paperwork", another asked to see a copy. They took the paperwork over to a table, where they all sat around and examined every page. One person said, "this is the most complete paperwork I have ever witnessed!" Another person came over and asked me to give Horton a few commands. I aked him to "sit", "stand", "lay down" and "shake." The same officer ran his hands down Horton's body, around his tail and picked-up each leg while examining his paws and spreading his toes to look between each one. He then went back to the table, wrote something on his paperwork and returned all of mine to me and excused me.

This was the most thorough exam I've ever been through before entering Mexico.

Last edited by wizard-of-roz; April 10th, 2012 at 01:02 PM.

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
Did I tell you guys how easy-peasy the meeting between the Agricultural inspectors/Immigration and Horton went on my last cruise?

I can't stress to you enough how important it is to have ALL your paperwork together to speed-up the process.

We met in Vivaldi Dining room at 7:30am, the morning that we docked in Ensenada - [I fed Horton his breakfast and went down.]

There were two Immigration officials/4 folks from the Agricultural Dept. of Mexico and 2 crew members [talk about over-kill], seriously, was all this really necessary? They were in full uniform, with guns and all!

One Immigration person asked to see Horton's "original paperwork", another asked to see a copy. They took the paperwork over to a table, where they all sat around and examined every page. One person said, "this is the most complete paperwork I have ever witnessed!" Another person came over and asked me to give Horton a few commands. I aked him to "sit", "stand", "lay down" and "shake." The same officer ran his hands down Horton's body, around his tail and picked-up each leg while examining his paws and spreading his toes to look between each one. He then went back to the table, wrote something on his paperwork and returned all of mine to me and excused me.

You RAWK for sure.....

I am hoping the end of my tunnel will be very soon and I will be able to afford my first cruise with Blitz.... And I had another great day today at VA. I had been fighting with my doctor for the past two months and I finally petitioned the VA to give me a different doctor and this time I have a Internal Medicine Doc and one of the top ranked docs at my VA Hospital. I brought up many issues with the local VA and we does the doctor actually cross the line when trying to reduce or totally remove certain meds without the approval of the patient. I found out I was a topic for discussion in the morning briefings..... lol I also met with the Director of Voluntary Services and we spoke about getting emotional support dogs to the veterans who have PTSD and I also met with the Director of Mental Health (he used to be my doctor since I'm bonafide crazy..... lol)

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
You RAWK for sure.....

I am hoping the end of my tunnel will be very soon and I will be able to afford my first cruise with Blitz.... And I had another great day today at VA. I had been fighting with my doctor for the past two months and I finally petitioned the VA to give me a different doctor and this time I have a Internal Medicine Doc and one of the top ranked docs at my VA Hospital. I brought up many issues with the local VA and we does the doctor actually cross the line when trying to reduce or totally remove certain meds without the approval of the patient. I found out I was a topic for discussion in the morning briefings..... lol I also met with the Director of Voluntary Services and we spoke about getting emotional support dogs to the veterans who have PTSD and I also met with the Director of Mental Health (he used to be my doctor since I'm bonafide crazy..... lol)
Hey, crazy man, looks like pushing that huge snowball uphill may be paying off soon.....I hope so for you.

And, remember, "Emotional Support" dogs DO NOT HAVE PUBLIC ACCESS! This means they can not go cruising or into the public venue. Although, they MUST be allowed to live in an apartment that does NOT normally allow pets and are the true "feel good" dog for many, they must stay at home to do what they do best. They also may get "rights" to visit patients in hospitals and hospice, also a very important task.

I am, in no way, dismissing their importance to many who find their assistance invaluable.

Old April 12th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I am, in no way, dismissing their importance to many who find their assistance invaluable.
Oh I know that and that's part of what I have to explain to those in the program. I guess in one way I am happy Blitz is way more than a emotional support family member.

And while keeping on the subject of GSD's just thought I would post this picture.....

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Oh I know that and that's part of what I have to explain to those in the program. I guess in one way I am happy Blitz is way more than a emotional support family member.

And while keeping on the subject of GSD's just thought I would post this picture.....

Oh! No! It's the Easter Shepherd!

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

How cute!! You must be so proud.

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

On our cruise I had to bring Wex down everyday. The amount of people there was ridiculous! We had atleast 4 crew members and atleast 4 or 6 from the port we stopped in. My experience was alittle different. They did throughly examine the paperwork, but never even looked at the dog. I mean barely even glanced at him. One port did complain that his rabies wasn't given before we went , but they let that go. I was very uncomfortable sitting there it was kinda creepy. No one smiled or said hello.

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
On our cruise I had to bring Wex down everyday. The amount of people there was ridiculous! We had atleast 4 crew members and atleast 4 or 6 from the port we stopped in. My experience was alittle different. They did throughly examine the paperwork, but never even looked at the dog. I mean barely even glanced at him. One port did complain that his rabies wasn't given before we went , but they let that go. I was very uncomfortable sitting there it was kinda creepy. No one smiled or said hello.
Seriously "creepy!" Sometimes it's very difficult to stand "tall" with your dog.

Because I work every day and Horton is part of my working day, there are complications and questions about my dog that would be easier to deal with if I just stayed home and hid away from society.

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

That is the cutest picture! I recognise Blitz but who is the pomp?
Voyager of the Seas 2001
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Victory 2002
SS Norway 2003
Explorer of the Seas 10/4/2003
Explorer of the Seas 10/10/2004
Mariner of the Seas 10/30/2005
Carnival Elation 01/05/2007
Carnival Freedom 10/28/2007
Carnival Freedom 11/06/2008
Carnival Pride 05/18/2009
Carnival Dream 10/15/2009
Carnival Dream 10/27/2009
Crown Princess 11/27/2010
Carnival Magic 10/28/2011

Old April 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

So did Blitz start with the ears like everyone does with their Easter bunnies?

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old April 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM
5,000+ Club

I have to share something with you guys......So, I'm boarding the Sapphire Princess with my lovely SIL Debi and we're wisked off to another room where the Platinum and Elite passengers wait. Soon a woman comes over and wants to pet Horton, I say "yes" of course and she proceeds to point to an elderly gentleman and a ****zu [dog] sitting on the next ailes from us. She invites me over to meet her husband and "his" seizure/medical alert dog, who is wearing a vest reading "Service Dog" on it.

Horton is calm and by my side and the ****zu starts barking/yapping/whining and growling at Horton. The woman says, "I'm so sorry, she was attacked by a bigger dog once and is very skiddish!" I walked away with Horton.

Later on during the cruise we encountered the woman holding the dog on several occasions and when we got to talking she told me that she had had a nervous breakdown and suffered with agoraphobia and panic attacks.

Now, between you and me, who was that dog really on the cruise with and for? And, who wrote the medical letter stating that it was an "alert" dog for her husband who didn't seem to have any control over the dog at all and, was seen with the woman more than with him?? Very strange!

Last edited by wizard-of-roz; April 12th, 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Horton is calm and by my side and the ****zu starts barking/yapping/whining and growling at Horton. The woman says, "I'm so sorry, she was attacked by a bigger dog once and is very skiddish!" I walked

Yet again you stand proud and its amazing how well you handle those situations. I would have said something yet your so proper and standing proud with Horton. Whats a funny spin from your story is the word zapper edited part of the dog breed name.....

On a funny side my daughter stopped by today with her shepherd and left the dog and took off shopping. So I am now ready to release to the world my training secrets with Blitz. Notice the connection between Blitz and Dia and teenagers who are glued to the TV...... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_grlmqSas

Old April 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry while I thank you for the connection since that is a great looking shepherd; its not Blitz.....

Last edited by guitarest; April 12th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Trust Disney Dad to give me my first laugh of the day! Ears indeed. Love all the pictures with Blitz and assorted german shepherds. They are handsome dogs.

I am two weeks away from wedding bells and no nervous breakdowns from anyone yet. Planning an exciting cruise in September...Vancouver to San Francisco to FLL via the panama canal. Who wants to join Aunty Sunshine and her handsome fella for this trip!!!

On a doggy note: Cooler is doing well. She and her recepeint had a great bonding experience during training camp. She described her as the "blonde tornado of engergy" and it was such an apt description. And not to worry about her service dog behaviour. That was what surprized her recepeint, she would go from "tornado dog" to incredibly calm and well mannered when tethered to her wheelchair and out in public. Even took her to a very narrow tea shop. I know what shop she was talking about and I can tell you I never braved that one with the "tornado". Rock Star indeed.

Mackey is doing well. I had him home last weekend and he kept Rich and myself amused for hours.