Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old April 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnbigd View Post
Note that it can be quite windy at putt-putt on the ship on sea days. You have at least a 20 MPH wind, probably more.
Not if the wind is blowing in the same direction as the ship is moving.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default About Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelcat18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelcat18 View Post
  • Breakfast
  • Walk around ship
  • Gym
  • Shower
  • Pool/Read/People watch/Games/Demos/Contests/Drinking/Nap/Lunch
  • Shower again for dinner
  • Dinner/shows
  • Piano bar or night club
  • Sleep

I look at the capers to determine what I *really* want to do/see and make plans to go to those things.

Not sure if my daily routine is much different, but I love getting up early and knocking about an hour or more walking or a light jog. It's cooler, less crowded and a blast people watching while you do it. A sunrise at sea as you burn a couple of calories!

Next, head for a tray of breakfast and find a place outdoors to watch those going to bed and those waking up. This is better than any show watching people in need of coffee as a cure for other indulgences.

Take the daily schedule to breakfast and highlight what you really don't want to miss. Most often you will find about a two hour window at least once in the day to get a real nap in. I've been treated for skin cancer twice due to surfing as a kid and wade fishing Galveston bay to stay out of the sun

Go to some of the daytime activities you might not attend. Cooking demonstrations, auctions, bingo, etc.

eReaders are so cheap that for about $80 bucks you can get a Kindle and download a book or two for around $10 each or get a few for free. Love the Kindles for cruising.

Take a netbook or laptop computer and edit your digital images from the cruise up to that point. This is a personal favorite, and we give the ones of the ship and ports to our table mates on CD the last night.

Trust me, you will find something to do. After nearly 20 cruises with my wife and about a dozen with family I have yet to spend a day sitting in a lounger sunning.

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnbigd View Post
Note that it can be quite windy at putt-putt on the ship on sea days. You have at least a 20 MPH wind, probably more.
Ahh! Nothing like a good challenge! Guess I'll leave my hat in our cabin that day.
Carnival Sensation Feb. 2008
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas March 2002
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2000
Carnival Imagination Sept. 1999
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 1999
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 1997

What happens on the ship stays on the ship, unless it gets posted on YouTube.

Old April 19th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sea Days

I love Sea Days. They are the most relaxing and enjoyable for me. Last time we went with a large group of people and had so much fun doing nothing. We have digital scavenger hunts, sit on balcony and watch the ocean or find things with the binoculars (unless neighbors are puffing on cancer sticks & keep us from being able to breathe), play ping pong, basketball, mini golf, learn to dance, do crafts, play cards, watch movies, read, nap, sleep in, just walk around the ship watching others, watching drunks have a good time or act stupid. I wouldn't want to go on a cruise without those Sea Days; they are awesome & the most relaxing of all.

Old April 19th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well...truthfully my favorite thing to do is sit in the sun and read while sipping on a frozen something But, if I'm up and around I might get in the pool for a bit and/or try the slide(s), or play windy mini-golf. Inside, I might get a speciality coffee, listen to the loungy music and read some more or maybe play cards. Maybe check out the gym. I don't really go in for the organized activities, but I usually find plenty to do.

Old April 20th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cruise to relax

WE spend our lives doing so cruise to relax.
We love reading, quizzes, talks, a good film in the cinema (NOT under the stars) and other things we pick off the programme. Of course a leisurely lunch and afternoon tea are good relaxed social times.
It is difficult for us to relax on deck because most areas on the big modern ships are designed to catch the sun, and the shady places where we can avoid being sun-baked are mostly fully occupied all day. This includes the pools which are too noisy anyway. However, there is usually a quiet corner in a lounge to relax.

Old April 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

I normally am at the pool for most of the day, but I will also attend an activity if there's one I like. I always look in the daily activity guide to see what's happening. There are plenty of activities to do on sea days. I will also try other amenities the ship has, such as mini golf, shuffleboard, etc.

~Anna~

Carnival Dream - Western Caribbean, April 2013
Norwegian Dawn - Bermuda, June 2012
Carnival Liberty - Eastern Caribbean, August 2011
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean, January 2011
Norwegian Pride of Hawaii - Hawaii, June 2007
Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean, June 2004
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean, June 2002

Old April 21st, 2012, 01:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Well...Take this opportunity to eat lunch in the dining room....
We ate lunch in the MDR one day, and I really enjoyed it. We had been up early that day, had breakfast, and spent several hours up on deck, and I wound up just taking a quick shower again to wash off the sunscreen and changing quickly. It was a nice mid-day option.

Old April 21st, 2012, 01:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuizer2 View Post
Not if the wind is blowing in the same direction as the ship is moving.
They closed the top deck on the Carnival Elation (where putt putt is) on the first sea day because it was so windy. There were quite a few restrictions our first sea day because of that, but it was the first day, so we still had lots to explore.

Checking out the "night spots" was something we enjoyed doing during the daytime. There's no one in there unless the youth groups are hanging out doing an activity, so it's super quiet.

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There is so much to do or not to do

Carnival Fantasy April 2009
Carnival Fantasy July 2009
Carnival Elation May 2010
Carnival Triumph April 2011
Carnival Elation May 2011
Carnival Elation May 2012
Carnival Elation June 2013

Old April 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Where ever my motor home is parked - currently Texas!

Afternoon Tea is something different on a sea day.

More M&G Details post 1168

Organizer Supreme

NCL Epic - 13***1st TA!
Carnival Valor - 12
Carnival Miracle - 10
Carnival Freedom - 09
NCL Sun - 06
Costa Atlantica - 05
Carnival Triumph - 00
Princess Grand Princess - 99
Carnival Tropicale - 95

Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tiffin

Being British it is tea and tiffin in the afternoon sun, or maybe not looking at the weather here at the moment lol

I always class the sea day as a lazy explore the ship day, no rush just soak up the atmosphere and work out what is where and plan for later

Apeeler

Ocean Village October 2009 W. Med.

MS Ausonia, First Choice August 2001 W. Med.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Amazing suggestions, I can"t wait till we go on our first cruise in September.
I honestly thought you sat in a deck chair, read a book and played deck quoits

Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

We love sea days for the relaxation they offer. Of course, you can spend the time being super busy if that is what you enjoy. We are taking our 2nd TA this fall because we had such a great time last fall on our first one. Also have another booked for 2013. There are so many interesting people on board and this is the best time to be able to get to talk to them. I bring along my Kobo and find a quiet place to read and gaze out at the sea rushing by. Don't forget the opportunity to take a nap and to enjoy afternoon tea.

Ciao,
Nikki

Last edited by gubby; April 23rd, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo1993 View Post
Which ship are you on? You can still sit- not in a deck chair, but on a lounger, read a book and play deck quoits.....but there's so much else to do.
I think you've been watching old cruising films, where they serve the beef tea....
Jo.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocap View Post
Which ship are you on? You can still sit- not in a deck chair, but on a lounger, read a book and play deck quoits.....but there's so much else to do.
I think you've been watching old cruising films, where they serve the beef tea....
Jo.
Jo.

I think you are right and I have to wake up and smell the coffee AND program :-)

Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Jo.

I think you are right and I have to wake up and smell the coffee AND program :-)
We are on the Thompson Celebration, Holly Land Tour, September 17th

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
We are on the Thompson Celebration, Holly Land Tour, September 17th
Then you won't have a minute to call your own! Celebration has the most amazing staff, especially the entertainment crew, who are around all day, mixing with the passengers, and playing games, holding classes, having Q&A sessions. They'll be in the Lido when you're having a cup of tea, as will the officers who also like to join with the passenger's chat.
I did drama classes, and OH had singing lessons; he was invited to go with the crew snorkelling one morning in Jordan....that's how friendly they are.
For all that we love the big ships, our cruise on Celebration ranks up there as something very special, with entertainment and activities better than most other lines- which is why people return so often. (and no tips, and pub price alcohol!) We'll be looking at Thomson again.
Have a brilliant time!
Jo.

Old April 25th, 2012, 12:57 AM
10,000+ Club

We had nine sea days (10 if you count the last day in Ensenada -- most of the passengers were like us and stayed onboard) on our last cruise. We were never bored. We might start the day, after breakfast, with a walk around the ship (about three laps if possible) or a trip to the gym. After lunch, my hubby might bring his guitar to an area that he found near one lounge, and play for a few hours. I would bring a puzzle book or reading material...or take a hula or lei making class (the Hawaiian cruise on the Golden Princess). A mid-afternoon trip to the International Cafe for a treat to enjoy during afternoon trivia. After dinner, we'll look for some entertainment.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home