Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Northern Europe & Baltics

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Northern Europe & Baltics Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn

Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowelf View Post
Is there a web site or other information available on the HOHO Bus? Things like cost, schedule and route?

We are going to be in Tallinn on the Eurodam in June.

Thanks
Google can be a very good friend. http://www.citysightseeing.ee/en/

January 15, 2011 - Norwegian Epic - Eastern Caribbean

Past Cruises:

January 2010 - Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean
July 2009 - Norwegian Gem - 1 week Western Mediterranean
June/July 2008 - Norwegian Jewel - 2 week Baltic
October 2004 - Brilliance of the Seas - 2 week Mediterranean

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
10,000+ Club

Default More Great Tallinn Options!!!

Lair Bear and Len have given you some wonderful visual previews for what you can enjoy in Tallinn. Here are a few more items and options to consider. This is a super great, highly charming city! It's not too big to do during a cruise port stop. It has a nice mix of architecture, history, shopping, etc., that can be done in a very enjoyable time period. Don't underestimate this "gem" of a Baltics capital. It doesn't have the "fame" of some other towns in Europe, but you will love it!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here are outside and inside views of Tallinnís Alexander Nevsky Cathedral built in the Orthodox style 1894Ė1900. This church crowns the hill of Toompea. The church has been meticulously restored since Estonia regained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.:

At the top of Tallinnís Toompea hill, this shows part of the Estonia Parliament building in the historic Pink Baroque Palace and the old Pikk Hermann watchtower with their flag on top:

Inside of Tallinnís historic St. Mary's Cathedral Lutheran church with parts of the building dating back to the 12th Century. The main church was built in the 14th Century:

Tallinnís rooftops in this charming Estonia Capital with docked cruise ships in the background:

Dancers marching in Tallinnís festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate:

Old April 24th, 2010, 09:26 AM
5,000+ Club

Great photos! You were lucky to have a sunny day when you were there. It was overcast, raining on and off when we were there. Totally changes the look and feel of the place. We had a great lunch downtown with dried deer jerky appetizer. I had the best ever mushroom soup, and my son had some hearty stew. Very good dark bread as well. (This was in his pre-vegetarian days.)

Old April 24th, 2010, 10:29 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelG View Post
Great photos! You were lucky to have a sunny day when you were there. It was overcast, raining on and off when we were there. Totally changes the look and feel of the place. We had a great lunch downtown with dried deer jerky appetizer. I had the best ever mushroom soup, and my son had some hearty stew. Very good dark bread as well. (This was in his pre-vegetarian days.)
THANKS, Rachel! Yes, being nice and sunny does help much for the pictures and enjoyment. We were very lucky on our summer 2008 cruise. Had super great weather. On the last night in Stockholm and while inside doing museums in Moscow, we had a little rain. BUT, other than that, it was near perfect and super nice. Hopefully, our good luck continues in early July 2010. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Old April 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Currency in Estonia

First of all, I thank everyone for their generous advice.

The trouble with a Baltic trip is that every stop involves a different currency.

Do the local shops and restaurants in Talinn accept Euros?

Thanks, Jeff

Old April 24th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet1640 View Post
First of all, I thank everyone for their generous advice.

The trouble with a Baltic trip is that every stop involves a different currency.

Do the local shops and restaurants in Talinn accept Euros?

Thanks, Jeff
All the shops in Old Town Tallinn are geared towards the tourist trade and will except credit cards, euros and probably US dollars. There really is no reason to exchange money into the local currency unless you go outside the area or use public transportation.
In Sweden and Denmark we did get some local krona, but the rest of the time we were able to use euros or credit cards. In St. Petersburg our private guide helped us (subway and other attractions that she bought) and then we paid her back in US dollars.

Last edited by Lair Bear; April 24th, 2010 at 07:54 PM.

Old April 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Lair Bear's walking tour

I was hoping to have a former student show us around Tallin but she just emailed me today that they will be moving to Budapest this summer. I had her look over Lair Bear's walking tour. She said it was excellent and seemed to be user friendly. They even said that before they move they would like to take the tour just so they haven't missed something. So you see, Lair Bear, even those living in Tallin gave your tour a stamp of approval. Way to go. Can't wait to see Tallin.

Pearl

Old April 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl64 View Post
I was hoping to have a former student show us around Tallin but she just emailed me today that they will be moving to Budapest this summer. I had her look over Lair Bear's walking tour. She said it was excellent and seemed to be user friendly. They even said that before they move they would like to take the tour just so they haven't missed something. So you see, Lair Bear, even those living in Tallin gave your tour a stamp of approval. Way to go. Can't wait to see Tallin.

Pearl
Thank you. Even I was surprised how well it came together. Keep in mind that the Walking Tour was based on some website research. So when we actually did the walk, I knew where we wanted to go, but I also had a great time seeing it in person.
I must admit that our friends were also impressed when I talked and showed them all I had stored in these old brains. But I did get lost a few minutes when we tried to find the Old Hansa. The food made up for my mistake.

Pearl, have fun on this trip. You will love it all.

Old April 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
5,000+ Club

Old Hansa--that is where we had lunch and had the great soup. Highly recommend.

Old April 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default time frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair Bear View Post
Thank you. Even I was surprised how well it came together. Keep in mind that the Walking Tour was based on some website research. So when we actually did the walk, I knew where we wanted to go, but I also had a great time seeing it in person.
I must admit that our friends were also impressed when I talked and showed them all I had stored in these old brains. But I did get lost a few minutes when we tried to find the Old Hansa. The food made up for my mistake.

Pearl, have fun on this trip. You will love it all.
Lair Bear,
We will be in Tallin in a couple of weeks. Our port time is very short - 7 to 1. How long would you say the walking tour should take? By the way, your web site is now in my favorites. Hopefully we will get to travel as much as you have.
Thanks in advance,
Sally

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salwein View Post
Lair Bear,
We will be in Tallin in a couple of weeks. Our port time is very short - 7 to 1. How long would you say the walking tour should take? By the way, your web site is now in my favorites. Hopefully we will get to travel as much as you have.
Thanks in advance,
Sally
Sally, sorry for this late response.
Tallin is really fascinating and you will love the Old Town. The walk is only about two or three miles, as I recall. But it involves uphill and cobble stone streets.

If you are so limited time-wise, I would still take part of the 'walk' but skip going along the old city wall in the beginning and go straight up the main street, Pit. Then go throught the port in the grey house, up the hill and spent at least an hour there. Then go down the hill and adjust your time and likes accordingly. Skip lunch, but if you see the Olde Hansa, have a peek inside. It is worth a slight detour.
To walk from the main square back to the ship should not be more than 20 minutes unless you stop some more along the way.

Last edited by Lair Bear; April 28th, 2010 at 09:53 PM.

Old April 28th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by riororo View Post
Has anyone been to this port of call and if so, any recommendations of shore excursions?? I'm looking for something other than what the ship is offering.

Thanks in advance!
Walk into historic old town from the pier.....about a 15 min. walk. Go the tourist info. center at the main square and pick up the free walking tour map.
Start the walking tour in reverse to avoid the crowds.
Shopping here will offer best prices in the Baltic region....many unique items.
Great port....enjoy.

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Valid links?

I'm so new to the site and I'm trying to access the links originally posted by Lair Bear for the walking tour, but they don't seem to work. Are these still valid?

Old April 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM
5,000+ Club

I recommend you take a taxi to the church at the top of the city and walk down and back to the ship at the end
Do Not take the HoHo bus. It's expensive and takes a long trip to get to the top

Old April 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majishun View Post
I'm so new to the site and I'm trying to access the links originally posted by Lair Bear for the walking tour, but they don't seem to work. Are these still valid?
You will find the walking tour of Tallinn here

EDIT - that link didn't work either. Do a Google search - TALLINN WALKING TOUR -- the webpage for the walk will show in the top few results - website name starts with a B and ends with an S

Barry

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Queen Victoria
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary 2 x 2
Voyager of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas

Last edited by bazzaw; April 12th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old April 12th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majishun View Post
type in the three w's then brent jes dot com

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Past Cruises:
AMAPrima - Danube, Prague to Budapest
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics, Copenhagen, St Petersburg
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean, Spain Italy
Celebrity Millenium - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda

Old April 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks!

Thank you all, the help is appreciated!

Old April 14th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

We're going to be in Talinn on the NCL Sun in late June and I really appreciate all the tips. I just printed off the walking tour and it looks perfect. Thanks, all!

Old April 14th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjbak View Post
We're going to be in Talinn on the NCL Sun in late June and I really appreciate all the tips. I just printed off the walking tour and it looks perfect. Thanks, all!
I did that and had a go at making a short video of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAC8F_2qTTY Lair Bear is a genius at doing these walking tours and made it easy to have a great time in this charming city. All the best, Tony
OVER 120 'CRUISE EXCURSION' VIDEOS Alaska, The Baltics/St Petersburg/Berlin/Bruges, East & West Mediterranean (inc several of Venice, Istanbul & Rome) Cote d'Azur, Amalfi Coast/Cinque Terre/Capri, Western Europe, Gibraltar, Full Panama Canal transit, Japan, Boston, Normandy D-Day areas) here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all Next videos - Vancouver and the Canadian Rockies, North Korea (tbc) Email Tony : cortina26 at talktalk dot net

Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjbak View Post
funny, we'll do the Baltic cruise on the SUN in June too but 1 week before (June 18th to June 27th) - so I also printed out the Tallinn-walking tour

greetings from austria
chipsy57