Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jormot View Post
Has anyone else experianced what mckrob1981 has with the people onboard from Puerto Rico? I would rather not cruise with loud obnoxious people, regardless of their background and this concerns me. On our a last cruise there were a few people to we could not stand but it was the minority not the majority. What is your opinion on the people aboard these Southern Caribbean routes out of San Juan.
No, I didn't experience this at all.

You do have to keep in mind that Puerto Rico, though part of the US, is a Spanish-speaking culture, so you will experience a good number of people on the ship/in elevators/etc., speaking Spanish.

I don't know what mckrob is speaking about, because it is definitely a Caribbean cruise, though it wasn't what he was expecting. I do have some thoughts about his attitude, though probably the nicest thing I can say to verbalize them is to just ignore his comments because he is totally off base.

I have taken six cruises now, all from different home ports, and if there is one thing I can say, is that all six cruises have been different.....not better or worse, but different...from each other.

There is, of course, a chance of encountering rude, obnoxious, and loud cruisers on any ship from any home port, with the chances increasing during certain times of the year (particularly spring break from what I understand--fortunately we have never sailed during this time of the year).

Carnival Freedom--January 2015 (Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba)
Norwegian Dawn--September 2014 (Boston, Portland, Halifax, Charlottetown, Gaspe, La Baie, Quebec City)

Carnival Conquest--February 2014 (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Isla Roatan) (http://www.steveandtammytravel.com/#...caribbean/cc4t)
Carnival Sunshine
--October 2013 (Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, Sicily, Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Civitavecchia (Rome/Vatican City), Naples, Marseilles, Barcelona) (http://www.steveandtammytravel.com/#...erranean/c1o1m)
Carnival Fascination--January 2013 (Nassau and Key West) (http://www.steveandtammytravel.com/#...d-nassau/c1xc7)
Carnival Victory--January 2012 (Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten)

Carnival Freedom--January 2011 (Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama)
Carnival Spirit--August 2010 (Alaska)
Carnival Elation--January 2009 (Cabo San Lucas, Ensenada)
Carnival Sensation--January 2008 (Freeport and Nassau)
Carnival Victory--February 2007 (Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios)

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jormot View Post
Has anyone else experianced what mckrob1981 has with the people onboard from Puerto Rico? I would rather not cruise with loud obnoxious people, regardless of their background and this concerns me. On our a last cruise there were a few people to we could not stand but it was the minority not the majority. What is your opinion on the people aboard these Southern Caribbean routes out of San Juan.
The three cruises out of San Juan, we have not experienced any loud or obnoxious Puerto Ricans as described by mckrob1981. In fact, we have found that the Puerto Ricans we have be with to be very friendly. This is why we are so excited about our next cruise and staying in Old San Juan. We love Puerto Rico and the culture.
12/99 Inspiration E186 Southern Carib --- 06/98 Ecstasy R188 Western Carib
06/97 Fantasy M150 Bahamas --- 06/91 Fantasy M015 Bahamas

Old April 15th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Retired Sparky............

Loved your video on youtube. Thanks for posting. I can't wait until our cruise in Feb. Tell me about Cosol tours!

Old April 15th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ok I have to chime back in here in case there are people sailing out of PR for the first time and getting nervous. In no way shape or form can you classify any culture as being "rude and obnoxious". It simply defies odds that ALL the people are rude.
We sailed from PR for the first time last winter and as my previous post stated it was a wonderful experience. Our kids went with us that time for their first cruise and before leaving we taught them "please", "thank you" , "sir" and so on in Spanish. We are in someone else's country and need to respect that.
The local people we encountered in OSJ were warm, friendly, and more than willing to help when it was glaringly obvious our Spanish was the most basic kind. On board the ship we found the nationalities to be a nice mix. Actually the one who stood out as being the rude one was the permanently drunk American Princess who could be found by the pool every day slurring screams for men to not look at her or she would beat them up (this was on RCL). She was an exception and in no way would I classify all Americans as being rude drunks nor should anyone describe all PRs as being all rude and obnoxious.
It amazes me there are people who still think in such ways