Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > British Isles/Western Europe

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

British Isles/Western Europe Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabric View Post
We will be on the Ocean Princess next August. The ship stops in Glasgow - Greenock from 7am-6pm.

Can you tell me about the tour you took? Where was this tourist group? Was there transportation offered by Princess to get to Glasgow?
We used the Invercylde tourist group and is a group of local volunteers that give you free tours of either Gourock, Greenock or a castle a few miles away. They are 2 hrs. long and just ask that you make a donation to cover fuel cost. You can find them on-line. Look on previous post for the exact e-mail address.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Really good information. Thanks. When we sailed out of Travemunde on the Arcadia we were seen off by thousands of locals and that was also truly memorable.
John

Emerald Princess - Mediterranean 2008
Caribbean Princess - Caribbean 2009
Coral Princess - Fort Lauderdale/Panama Canal/LA 2010
Crown Princess - Norwegian Fjords/North Cape 2010
Azura - Caribbean 2011
Arcadia - The Baltic & St Petersburg 2011
Crown Princess - Western Caibbean - 3 & 10th March 2012
Caribbean Princess - Round Great Britain - 26 May 2012
Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 20 Nov 2012
Diamond Princess - Far East - 1 April 2013
Ocean Princess - Iceland & Norway - 1 July 2013
Ruby Princess - Mediterranean - Nov 2013

Old February 24th, 2012, 04:10 PM
10,000+ Club

Hi All

Info about Greenock.

http://50essentialexperiences.com/20...18/steve-deas/

yours Shogun

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle_s View Post
Nancy,

I am not exactly sure what you meant by 'walk to all of them' but I will try to explain.

When we docked we were right in from of the port building. As we were exiting the ship we were greeted by some fanfare, bagpipers etc. We walked the hundred yards or so into the building.

Once inside there were some information areas, currency exchange, and vendors. The Inverclyde tourist group had some tables set in the middle where you could get local information, maps or sign up for the free tours.
We signed up for the castle one for the morning and the church/city hall one in the afternoon.

When it is time for your tour it is right outside the exit doors and onto a tour bus.

On each tour there was some walking necessary but not too much . I believe a person with some mobility issues would be okay. If someone was in a wheelchair then I would say that this is not suitable.

The tours are indeed free. If you would like you can make a donation at the end that goes towards offsetting the cost of the petrol. Knowing this I had made up two goodie bags from home (maple cookies, Canadian pins and little notebooks with the Canadian flag in each). My intent had been one bag for the volunteers for each tour. As it turned out I just gave them at the volunteer tables and they were able to share them with everyone.

When I returned at the end of the day a volunteer I had not met was looking for me and greeted me with a big hug. Apparently it had been 30 years since she had one of those maple cookies and she LOVED it.

I will never forget that lady-- actually all the volunteers were all quite memorable.

After our first tour we went directly back to the ship and had lunch onboard. After the afternoon tour we stayed in town, went for a beer and had a leisurely stroll back to the ship through a mall (if you like shopping) and along the waterfront.

As I said before, the send off they gave us was wonderful. The tours were informative and the volunteers ( mostly retired folks) really love their community. The whole day was definately a highlight of our cruise.

On our trip there did not seem to be many signing up for the free tours, but I would still get off the ship early and sign up just in case there is more interest on yours. My guess is that we did not have more than 15 people on either tour but the buses could have held many more.

Hope this helps answer your questions. If not feel free to ask away.

Rochelle
I have bumped this as we were in Greenock Aug 2011,did not know about cc then, and this is a really good description of what the local people put on for us.
I was up really early before we docked so saw the whole arrival performance, they do really put a lot into a ships arrival and departure pipes etc.
Think old movie ship departures the dock and that side of the ship were just crowded.
ps. you do have to go through security everytime you leave and return to the ship, both on ship and port. For instance we went off to look at town, came back to port for tour, our bus had a problem was delayed approx 1 hr so we went back onto ship for lunch, back off for tour, DH has 2 artificial hips and always beeps.We had a giggle about it but if the queue was long it could be annoying.
The tour was very good even though it had to be shortened.

QM2 2014 x2
QE2013
QM2 2012
Sojourn 2012
Balmoral 2011
Celebration 2008 x2

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Greenock Tours

Greenock is one of the most interesting ports of call on the Princess Cruises Uk cruise - but the company, and the people who supply tours are not in the slightest bit interested in promoting the town. They are much more interested in driving you miles away to Inverary and Culzean (which are much more profitable) than taking you to equally interesting local sights.

Greenock has some of the most spectacular views in Scotland - and you can almost walk to them from the Cruise Terminal!!!! A taxi from the terminal to Overtoun, will cost about $10, and this is what you get. The walk is on the flat and goes round in a circle and takes about 2 hours, past the ranger centre and through the regional park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHvlfjR0Fpk

There is a national wildlife park and ranger center at Cornalees (15 minutes) which organises environmental projects for children. . . . and its free. Princess Cruises don't want you to know about that either.

http://www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk/coun...tal-education/

Or about the fact that there are Castles and country houses to visit much closer than Culzean and Inverary - these two are less than 20 minutes from Greenock

http://www.finlaystonehouse.com/

http://www.kelburnestate.com/

Oh and the it costs you $10 or so to get a train ticket from Greenock to the centre of Glasgow with trains every 20 minutes. The journey takes about half and hour. It's quicker than the tour bus which costs $69.00

It's a rip off. . . . . . .

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetAlice View Post
We are headed to the Tattoo mid-afternoon. Is it possible to walk around Greenock in a couple of hours? Can you tell me more about the free tour?
Here is a link to their free 2-hour tours (donations welcome I'd imagine).

http://inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/tours

The folks here seem so sweet. I can't wait to meet them.

------------------------------------------------
Up next: Just had our first baby! (No $$ or time for cruising for awhile!)
-NCL Pearl ~ Pacific Coastal ~ 5/5/13 ~ San Francisco | Astoria | Victoria, B.C. | Nanaimo, B.C. | Vancouver
-Carnival Destiny ~ Bahamas ~ 1/21/13 ~ Key West | Freeport | Nassau (Trip Report)
-Caribbean Princess ~ British Isles! ~ 5/26/12 ~ London | Guernsey | Cork | Dublin | Liverpool | Belfast | Greenock | Loch Ness | Edinburgh | France (Trip Report - BEST CRUISE EVER!)
-RCCL Freedom ~ Western Caribbean ~ 1/18/09 Ocho Rios | Grand Cayman | Haiti | Cozumel (Trip Report)
-RCCL Monarch ~ West Coast ~ 2/18/08 San Diego | Catalina Island | Ensenada
-Disney Magic ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ 4/28/07 St. Maarten | St. Thomas | Castaway Cay (Trip Report)
-RCCL Vision ~ Alaska ~ 5/19/06 Juneau | Skagway | Hoonah | Victoria
-Star Princess ~ Mexican Riviera ~ 1/13/03 Puerto Vallarta | Mazatlan | Cabo San Lucas

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanaich2 View Post
Greenock is one of the most interesting ports of call on the Princess Cruises Uk cruise - but the company, and the people who supply tours are not in the slightest bit interested in promoting the town. They are much more interested in driving you miles away to Inverary and Culzean (which are much more profitable) than taking you to equally interesting local sights.

Greenock has some of the most spectacular views in Scotland - and you can almost walk to them from the Cruise Terminal!!!! A taxi from the terminal to Overtoun, will cost about $10, and this is what you get. The walk is on the flat and goes round in a circle and takes about 2 hours, past the ranger centre and through the regional park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHvlfjR0Fpk

There is a national wildlife park and ranger center at Cornalees (15 minutes) which organises environmental projects for children. . . . and its free. Princess Cruises don't want you to know about that either.

http://www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk/coun...tal-education/

Or about the fact that there are Castles and country houses to visit much closer than Culzean and Inverary - these two are less than 20 minutes from Greenock

http://www.finlaystonehouse.com/

http://www.kelburnestate.com/

Oh and the it costs you $10 or so to get a train ticket from Greenock to the centre of Glasgow with trains every 20 minutes. The journey takes about half and hour. It's quicker than the tour bus which costs $69.00

It's a rip off. . . . . . .
Superb info. I'm the type that likes to do-it-on-their-own. Thanks!

-NCL Pearl ~ Pacific Coastal ~ 5/5/13 ~ San Francisco | Astoria | Victoria, B.C. | Nanaimo, B.C. | Vancouver
-Carnival Destiny ~ Bahamas ~ 1/21/13 ~ Key West | Freeport | Nassau (Trip Report)
-Caribbean Princess ~ British Isles! ~ 5/26/12 ~ London | Guernsey | Cork | Dublin | Liverpool | Belfast | Greenock | Loch Ness | Edinburgh | France (Trip Report - BEST CRUISE EVER!)
-RCCL Freedom ~ Western Caribbean ~ 1/18/09 Ocho Rios | Grand Cayman | Haiti | Cozumel (Trip Report)
-Disney Magic ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ 4/28/07 St. Maarten | St. Thomas | Castaway Cay (Trip Report)
-Star Princess ~ Mexican Riviera ~ 1/13/03 Puerto Vallarta | Mazatlan | Cabo San Lucas

Old April 1st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The info here is excellent. We will be docking inGreenock in July 2013 and I really want to focus on the Scottish outdoors , castles , Lochs.....we are thinking of renting a car to explore. If we were to visit Kelburn ( looks fun for our kids) , what else nearby could we visit for great scenery?

Thanks
Ki
Celebrity Constellation- Baltics- July 2009
Celebrity Infinity- SA/Antarctica- January 2010
Celebrity Xpedition- Galapagos- July 2011
Carnival Dream-Western Caribbean-January 2012
HAL Eurodam- Norway/British Isles -July 2013
HAL Westerdam - Alaska 2014

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilgirl View Post
The info here is excellent. We will be docking inGreenock in July 2013 and I really want to focus on the Scottish outdoors , castles , Lochs.....we are thinking of renting a car to explore. If we were to visit Kelburn ( looks fun for our kids) , what else nearby could we visit for great scenery?

Thanks
Ki
Various easy excursions with scenery :

1. Near Kelburn is Largs, a popular seaside town, with the usual British seaside amenities, and a train station (to get to Greenock change at Paisley Gilmour St), and a small ferry to Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae. (Caledonian MacBrayne ferries) frequent departures.

2. Train from Greenock to Wemyss bay (1/2 hour) and ferry to Rothesay (35 minutes) on the Isle of Bute (another scenic island). If you have time and it is open a bus meets the ferry to take you to Mount Stuart, the home of the Marquess of Bute, generally open in the summer to the public.
http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/s...y-rothesay.png

3. There are frequent buses that run along the road to Largs and beyond. (change at Ardrossan for Ayr) You can go as far as you like along the coast and then stop. These will be the cheapest option, and very popular with local pensioners going on a little jaunt (bus travel is free in Scotland for the over 60s).

Oosterdam Australia & NZ Nov 2013; Thomson Celebration Eastern Med May 2013 ; Veendam South America 2012 ; Ryndam Norway 2012 ; Norwegian Epic Med 2012 ; Adonia Eastern Med 2011 ; Braemar Iceland 2009 ; QEII France 2007 ; Caronia Baltic 2006 ; Black Prince Britain France & Spain 2003 ; Royal Clipper Caribbean 2002 ; Kong Harold Hurtigruten 2001 ; Marco Polo Antarctic 1997 ; Black Prince 1996 ; Sea Princess Alaska 1995

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you for the great tips!
Celebrity Constellation- Baltics- July 2009
Celebrity Infinity- SA/Antarctica- January 2010
Celebrity Xpedition- Galapagos- July 2011
Carnival Dream-Western Caribbean-January 2012
HAL Eurodam- Norway/British Isles -July 2013
HAL Westerdam - Alaska 2014

Old April 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Greenock has a lot to offer, but visitors just drive out of it. It has some of the most spectacular golf courses in Scotland, available to visitors at minimal cost (15$ a player)

http://www.greenockgolfclub.co.uk/visitors.html

The walk round the cut, and if you are fit enough, a climb up Dunrod Hill has one of the most awesome views in Europe. They are both less than 10 minutes by taxi from the quay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owt1FqOaB1I

And you can go fly fishing for trout in Loch Thom (which is behind the hill you can see from the ship)

Old April 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cornalees Country Park :-) With maybe a climb to the top of Dunrod Hill. You will have to chose between that and Kelburn. The 'Hilly Brae' behind Kelburn has some very impressive views.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...sc&user=188212

Old April 25th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle_s View Post
Nancy,

I am not exactly sure what you meant by 'walk to all of them' but I will try to explain.

When we docked we were right in from of the port building. As we were exiting the ship we were greeted by some fanfare, bagpipers etc. We walked the hundred yards or so into the building.

Once inside there were some information areas, currency exchange, and vendors. The Inverclyde tourist group had some tables set in the middle where you could get local information, maps or sign up for the free tours.
We signed up for the castle one for the morning and the church/city hall one in the afternoon.

When it is time for your tour it is right outside the exit doors and onto a tour bus.

On each tour there was some walking necessary but not too much . I believe a person with some mobility issues would be okay. If someone was in a wheelchair then I would say that this is not suitable.

The tours are indeed free. If you would like you can make a donation at the end that goes towards offsetting the cost of the petrol. Knowing this I had made up two goodie bags from home (maple cookies, Canadian pins and little notebooks with the Canadian flag in each). My intent had been one bag for the volunteers for each tour. As it turned out I just gave them at the volunteer tables and they were able to share them with everyone.

When I returned at the end of the day a volunteer I had not met was looking for me and greeted me with a big hug. Apparently it had been 30 years since she had one of those maple cookies and she LOVED it.

I will never forget that lady-- actually all the volunteers were all quite memorable.

After our first tour we went directly back to the ship and had lunch onboard. After the afternoon tour we stayed in town, went for a beer and had a leisurely stroll back to the ship through a mall (if you like shopping) and along the waterfront.

As I said before, the send off they gave us was wonderful. The tours were informative and the volunteers ( mostly retired folks) really love their community. The whole day was definately a highlight of our cruise.

On our trip there did not seem to be many signing up for the free tours, but I would still get off the ship early and sign up just in case there is more interest on yours. My guess is that we did not have more than 15 people on either tour but the buses could have held many more.

Hope this helps answer your questions. If not feel free to ask away.

Rochelle
T&T Bumped this for you

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilgirl View Post

Thanks
Ki

there is Newark castle in Port glasgow but its the opposite direction of Kelburn which is on the outskirts of largs and you would need to get two buses to.

But if your hiring a car not a problem getting to kelburn from the port the local town of Largs is worth a visit in itself not as good as it used to be but still nice.

Last edited by sparkieplug24; April 27th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

or what about the ferry to millport park the car in the carpark (you can take it on if you wish) and then get the bus into the town nice little island. Takes around 15 minutes on the ferry.

Old July 12th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Visiting Edinburgh Castle

We signed up for a very expensive tour to Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile and Princess Street..for our trip on Emerald Princess.
Is there any other way of seeing Edinburgh Castle without spending so much money. We are in port from 7a.m.-7.p.m. We would like a guided tour through the castle.
First time.

Old July 14th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardch View Post
We signed up for a very expensive tour to Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile and Princess Street..for our trip on Emerald Princess.
Is there any other way of seeing Edinburgh Castle without spending so much money. We are in port from 7a.m.-7.p.m. We would like a guided tour through the castle.
First time.
Where is your ship docking?

Are you talking about travelling through to Edinburgh from Greenock, or are you docking at one of the Edinburgh venues (Rosyth or South Queensferry).

Old August 8th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Emerald Princess Sept 10 Copenhagen

First time Copenhagen, Iceland, Greenland and Norway Explorer..Emerald Princess..
Need advice about currency and would love to know if anyone is going on this trip.
Marsha

Old August 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Greenock is pretty simplistic. There's not much to do but it's a cute town filled with nice people. We didn't have any interest in Glasgow so we stayed in Greenock and walked around that day. It's an easy walk from the ship.

Here's my review of it with photos if that helps any....
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=115

Old August 8th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardch View Post
First time Copenhagen, Iceland, Greenland and Norway Explorer..Emerald Princess..
Need advice about currency and would love to know if anyone is going on this trip.
Marsha
Go to the Roll Call thread, look for Princess, then look for Emerald, look for your date.

Last edited by phabric; August 8th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.