March 2013 Dream booked

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, are you just back from your Thomson cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:26 AM.
#1
Hants
330 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Well I have done it, I booked for March 2013, I just couldn't stand the constant checking and wondering what to to so I booked and I will try not to look any more
We had a great time before and this time my sister and her hubby are joining us.
Not booked a cabin yet as I think that can wait a while and we will see if we decide to upgrade a bit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#3
2,506 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by blossom52
Well I have done it, I booked for March 2013, I just couldn't stand the constant checking and wondering what to to so I booked and I will try not to look any more
We had a great time before and this time my sister and her hubby are joining us.
Not booked a cabin yet as I think that can wait a while and we will see if we decide to upgrade a bit.
Something good to look forward too!

Plus, you'll be in the first season enjoying the 'Platinum' experience. Will be interesting to see what you think of the upgrades, if the 'after' is a lot better than the 'before'.
#4
brighton
25 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
At least you have now made the decision. I want to book for next Feb but am tempted to book later. I am worried about the ship going platinum and what will happen with prices. We got a really good deal by booking late on our cruise in March but not sure if I want to risk that again. So, can you select our cabin at a later date? I thought you had to choose one at time of booking?
#5
Hants
330 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I booked the cabin later last time, so hope I will be able to do it again.
It will be my 60th so didn't want to lose out. Plus my sis and her hubby are coming and had to put in for their holidays.
Last year we booked in Oct, but it cost more than we have just paid, so am quite happy really.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#6
brighton
25 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Did you book deck 4/5? I may do this and the upgrade to a higher deck later. Did you say you have just been on this cruise? The itenary is the same but loved it so much that I really want to go back again! Can I ask how much the deposit is at time of booking?
#7
Manchester, England
3,851 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I would book your cabin sooner rather than later, it's the same price whatever. All the cabins midships were already taken when we tried to book but 6083 outside plus was a nice big one with a 3 seater sofa and bath right next to the stewards cabin so quiet on one side. I just hope you don't get Mister Misery steward that we got, lol.

Just a thought that the lifts dinging was quite loud and I wouldn't book a cabin within 3 or 4 cabins of them.

Jan
#8
Dorset, UK
8,663 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by blossom52
I booked the cabin later last time, so hope I will be able to do it again.
It will be my 60th so didn't want to lose out. Plus my sis and her hubby are coming and had to put in for their holidays.
Last year we booked in Oct, but it cost more than we have just paid, so am quite happy really.

Good for you! You can relax now and have all the pleasure of looking forward to it!
#9
north east
2,244 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by blossom52
I booked the cabin later last time, so hope I will be able to do it again.
It will be my 60th so didn't want to lose out. Plus my sis and her hubby are coming and had to put in for their holidays.
Last year we booked in Oct, but it cost more than we have just paid, so am quite happy really.
As long as you're happy, thats what counts. Also the looking forward is part of the holiday in itself.
#10
Devon UK
62 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by blossom52
Well I have done it, I booked for March 2013, I just couldn't stand the constant checking and wondering what to to so I booked and I will try not to look any more
We had a great time before and this time my sister and her hubby are joining us.
Not booked a cabin yet as I think that can wait a while and we will see if we decide to upgrade a bit.
We've booked to sail on the Dream in March next year too, but I'm confused about your countdown clock. It says you are sailing on 24th February??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#11
Lancashire England
33 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Hi,

We (my friend and I) are also booked on the Dream next March. 3rd of March to be precise for 2 weeks. Should have gone this year for my friends 60th but had to put it off as I needed a Hip Replacement so really looking forward to it next year.

Hopefully we will meet onboard

JB
#12
wales
362 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We are going in Feb next year and really looking forward to it. Please excuse my ignorance but what is the "Platinum Experience" ? What have I missed?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#13
Dorset, UK
8,663 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by solostar
We are going in Feb next year and really looking forward to it. Please excuse my ignorance but what is the "Platinum Experience" ? What have I missed?

Celebration and Dream are having some major refurbs which should mean a rather smarter appearance. Here is a link you can read all about it. Should be a welcome improvement but otherwise I don't think you should find the Thomson experience any different.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/blog/2012/0.../#.T5Wa09kniSo
#14
wales
362 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Ah, so thats it. Sounds good. We went on "Spirit" last year and had a brilliant time, just hope that it is as nice on "Dream", a bit put off with the negative posts concerning poor food and miserable staff. There again, people were saying that about the "Spirit" and it was definately not the case. I suppose you have to find out for yourselves. But re-furb can only be good
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#15
OXFORD
6,729 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by solostar
Ah, so thats it. Sounds good. We went on "Spirit" last year and had a brilliant time, just hope that it is as nice on "Dream", a bit put off with the negative posts concerning poor food and miserable staff. There again, people were saying that about the "Spirit" and it was definately not the case. I suppose you have to find out for yourselves. But re-furb can only be good
Hi solostar,
We went on the Spirit last year and on the Dream this winter and enjoyed both. I would say the Spirit is better, decorationwise, but obviously the Dream is going in for a re-vamp and quite honestly even a few new carpets will make all the difference. Personally,I thought the food was OK, and I am a fussy eater. We never noticed that the food was cold in the Lido, but we didn't use it much as we preferred Sirens on deck 9 and again it was OK. The dining room food is obviously going to be hotter and all but one night was good.

You'll love it
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thomson Celebrationx3,Thomson Dreamx3,ThomsonSpiritx2,Thomson Majestyx3, Thomson Discovery, P&O Oceanax2, P&O Azura, Fred.Olsen Braemarx3,Crown Princessx2,Sea Princess,Celebrity Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas,Independence of the Seas,Ocean Village


#17
OXFORD
6,729 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
According to CC in the 2012 Cruisers Choice Awards The Dream won
Best Shore Excursions, Best Service, Best Entertainment (of course), Best cabins (huge) and was best Overall in the medium size ship's category, and it hasn't even had it's makeover yet. So stop worrying
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thomson Celebrationx3,Thomson Dreamx3,ThomsonSpiritx2,Thomson Majestyx3, Thomson Discovery, P&O Oceanax2, P&O Azura, Fred.Olsen Braemarx3,Crown Princessx2,Sea Princess,Celebrity Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas,Independence of the Seas,Ocean Village


#18
Manchester, England
3,851 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
All in all we loved the Dream the other week and hope you weren't influenced by my post regarding our miserable cabin steward. I can't deny that he was but he was very much the exception and everyone we spoke to was amazed. Sirens restaurant is a much better bet on deck 11 for breakfast and lunch as it is quieter and also higher up so you get a better view. Also, we only found out near the end of our cruise that they served the cream scones there at around 4pm and not in the Lido. Around the same time you can get tea, a savoury and a cake served to you in the Argo Lounge. Very civilized and peaceful, recommended. I would advise that you eat in the Orion on deck 4 as often as possible as the food is very good AND hot, lol. It takes a bit longer eating in there but it is a large restaurant and you can always get a nice table. The food wasn't always cold in the Lido but was tepid often and such a shame that the chefs take the trouble to cook it and then it isn't kept warm. Oh! for a microwave, lol. We didn't have any trouble getting a seat to see the shows, getting down there around 10 minutes before as opposed to 45 on other ships. Some of the bars were full after the shows but there are always quiet spots outside at the rear of the ship and outside the Lido where there is a bar. Having said that it was very warm in the evening at sea in the Caribbean which most definitely isn't the case usually.

We had an outside plus cabin on deck 6 which was huge compared to cabins we have had on other ships, with a large double bed and 3 seater sofa so plenty of room to move.

AND just to finish we even managed to get on a sunbed a few time during the week even though we were off ship every day. That is a first for us as on the IE and Celebration we went the whole week without our bottoms ever touching a sunbed. The Dream is our top ship to date.

Jan
#19
Hants
330 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Sorry for the delay, been on holiday!!! Not a cruise just a week snorkelling in Marsa Alam Egypt, off to Scotland on Sunday..........
Steveystar, we paid £250pp deposit and have to pay a bit more in June.
Firefly3050, the clock is right we go 24th Feb but my birthday is March so I got confused, well I am old (no comment please.....)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#20
Dorset, UK
8,663 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by ekco
All in all we loved the Dream the other week and hope you weren't influenced by my post regarding our miserable cabin steward. I can't deny that he was but he was very much the exception and everyone we spoke to was amazed. Sirens restaurant is a much better bet on deck 11 for breakfast and lunch as it is quieter and also higher up so you get a better view. Also, we only found out near the end of our cruise that they served the cream scones there at around 4pm and not in the Lido. Around the same time you can get tea, a savoury and a cake served to you in the Argo Lounge. Very civilized and peaceful, recommended. I would advise that you eat in the Orion on deck 4 as often as possible as the food is very good AND hot, lol. It takes a bit longer eating in there but it is a large restaurant and you can always get a nice table. The food wasn't always cold in the Lido but was tepid often and such a shame that the chefs take the trouble to cook it and then it isn't kept warm. Oh! for a microwave, lol. We didn't have any trouble getting a seat to see the shows, getting down there around 10 minutes before as opposed to 45 on other ships. Some of the bars were full after the shows but there are always quiet spots outside at the rear of the ship and outside the Lido where there is a bar. Having said that it was very warm in the evening at sea in the Caribbean which most definitely isn't the case usually.

We had an outside plus cabin on deck 6 which was huge compared to cabins we have had on other ships, with a large double bed and 3 seater sofa so plenty of room to move.

AND just to finish we even managed to get on a sunbed a few time during the week even though we were off ship every day. That is a first for us as on the IE and Celebration we went the whole week without our bottoms ever touching a sunbed. The Dream is our top ship to date.

Jan

I would agree with all Jan has said and we found the Orion good for evening meals too and although we chose to have breakfast in Sirens most days and especially if we were off early on a trip we sometimes had breakfast in the main dining room as well.

It's usually very quiet at breakfast time (not many seem to know or want to go there) and we liked some of the choices - Eggs Benedict, freshly made omelettes, smoked haddock etc. You get fresh juice, cereal or fresh fruit, choice from full English to lighter choices and toast. The waiters will happily take your order for some or all of the elements of a fried breakfast - you don't need to have the 'set' meal. (Danish, croissants available too)

It was always nice and the food hot but you may not get quite as much as in the self-service if you like to load up at breakfast time. But we found it a pleasant change to just sit down and have your breakfast brought to you instead of up and down for juice, tea, cereal, breakfast etc (I never seem to be able to get it all in one go!!). Similarly if the lunch menu appeals - it's quiet in there and the puddings seem better than in the Lido. (Just in case you're hungry!!! )

Enjoy!