The Stewards Need Some Help

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:30 PM.
#81
IL.
7,096 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
I try to keep the steward's work down by keep the cabin neat. When we leave the cabin there is nothing left out. All our stuff is put away. All clothers and shoes in the closet and the tops of the funture & sink are clear of our stuff. The wet towels I roll them into one bunch so he can pick it up with one time bending down. Any used glasses are put in one stop so he doesnot have to look for them I think this helps him get out of our cabin faster.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<


#82
Southwest Florida
10,189 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by FrankNJ
Hi Betty , I agree the Marriott on Marco is overpriced , I've been there . But compare apples to apples . Do the math based on 10 days using your examples , I only come up with $6010
for 10 days on land at $499 hotel ( pricey) $72 dinners ( reasonable) $30 lunch ( a bargain) and of course you get maid service for $499 a night .
Try the Bella Sera in Naples , for $300 you will get a 2 bedroom condo with great service .

No , I don't think the cruise is so cheap, unless as I said , you stay in a little tiny room where 2 people can't walk around at the same time . Cheers !

OK Frank I'll buy that, but you still forgot one thing..For the price you pay on HAL, you also get transportation to all those exciting ports, so you can continue to spend your hard earned money or if you wish just walk around town..

LOL

Cheers....Betty
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email_me

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line.. Betty
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.
#83
5,606 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Rowena
............Personally, I thought that putting the soiled dishes outside the door was more of a hazard than DH's 'good deed'. We saw a lot of dirty dish trays from room service just plopped outside cabin doors this trip.... Just weird, I guess.
I don't believe that people who do that are deliberately inconsiderate, but just thoughtless.
It probably doesn't occur to them that they are creating obstacles for those who use wheelchairs, scooters, walkers or even strollers.

Also they are never the ones who need to clean up the mess they cause in the hallway during rough seas when the dirty dishes from those trays on the floor get tossed around all over the hallway, spattering the walls and carpet.

They are also probably unaware of the unnecessary difficulty they create for the cabin steward or room service person who needs to bend down to pick up the tray of dishes from the floor.

If the passengers who do that were required to lift that tray of dishes from a table, and then lift the same tray of dishes from the floor, they might gain an awareness of what a difference it makes and think twice before leaving a tray on the floor the next time.
#85
Brooklyn, NY
17,496 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by Rowena
Yes.
And what was their response? From what I have heard they were good at getting it when needed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peter


Next: RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Koningsdam, February 11-18, 2018

RSVP February Caribbean cruises:
Caribbean Princess 2007 / Zuiderdam 2008 / Eurodam 2009 / Eurodam 2010 / Nieuw Amsterdam 2012
Eurodam 2013
/ MSC Divina 2014 / Regal Princess 2015 / Nieuw Amsterdam 2016 / Koningsdam 2017
RSVP Alaska - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July 2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009

#86
USA
9,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
On our first voyages on two different cruise lines (Cunard and Princess), the I called room service and asked if they would collect the room service tray since we had finished eating. Both times, I was told to put it outside the cabin door and they would pick it up. And that is what we have done ever since.

We'll be taking our first Holland America cruise soon, and would appreciate knowing the acceptable procedure for removing room service tray from our cabin. Thank you. -S.
#87
New Brunswick
39,170 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Salacia
On our first voyages on two different cruise lines (Cunard and Princess), the I called room service and asked if they would collect the room service tray since we had finished eating. Both times, I was told to put it outside the cabin door and they would pick it up. And that is what we have done ever since.

We'll be taking our first Holland America cruise soon, and would appreciate knowing the acceptable procedure for removing room service tray from our cabin. Thank you. -S.

You will see a note on your tray requesting you call room service. Just call, leave it in your room and it will be picked up
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme
Click this attachment Attachment 405014 to download the PDF spread sheet for the Rotterdam Roll Call's Mar. 30th cruise
Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer



#88
Warwick, R.I. , USA
37,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by Salacia
cruise soon, and would appreciate knowing the acceptable procedure for removing room service tray from our cabin. Thank you. -S.
As Jacqui said, call Room Service, even if there is no note on the tray. You can just leave it on the table, or the desk, and it will be retrieved.

Please! Under no circumstances leave it on the floor of the passageway! Those corridors are not wide enough for a wheelchair, or a walker, to pass by a tray.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

Chocolate is to women what duct tape is to men.
It fixes everything.
#89
81,022 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by Salacia
On our first voyages on two different cruise lines (Cunard and Princess), the I called room service and asked if they would collect the room service tray since we had finished eating. Both times, I was told to put it outside the cabin door and they would pick it up. And that is what we have done ever since.

We'll be taking our first Holland America cruise soon, and would appreciate knowing the acceptable procedure for removing room service tray from our cabin. Thank you. -S.

All our HAL cruises, whenever we have room service, I neatly stack the dirty dishes/glasses on the tray, I spread an open napkin over the top and leave the tray on the table. It has always been removed when we return to our cabin.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
#90
Gainesville, FL
3,200 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
We have always been told to call room service when we are finished, and they would arrive within ten minutes or so to take away the tray. I have always enjoyed wonderful service when ordering room service.

In fact I remember on one of our Alaska cruises, we ordered breakfast to be served in our cabin, and when I answered the door, there were six young men with six trays, and each young man called out their order and when we sat at the table, they would place our order in front of us. After a couple of days, they knew each of our orders, and would automatically place them where we sat at the table.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#91
USA
9,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by dag144
I did not complain to the front desk about the need for the cabin to have a deep cleaning. Why? I do not think that the problem is the stewards. The problem is 1) either HAL's policies or 2) an unacceptably lazy/lax Hotel Staff. I believe that a complaint to the powers that be on the ship would have resulted in black marks for the hard working stewards.

I wrote a review of the past trip which should be posted in the next day or two.

If any of you have the same thoughts or others on this subject, post them. I am sure that HAL reads this blog.
dag, while I wanted to take a nice bath in my A category cabin on the Veendam last May, the tub had obviously not been properly cleaned. Like you, I did not complain because I also felt the steward would suffer the consequences. I took showers instead, and that was good enough. I was thinking of taking cleaning supplies on board for my next voyage so I could clean the tub myself...but heck, I'll just soak in the ocean and shower on board.

HAL and other cruise lines face the consequences of asking staff to do too much while asking passengers to accept much less. Regards, Salacia
#92
USA
9,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by sail7seas
All our HAL cruises, whenever we have room service, I neatly stack the dirty dishes/glasses on the tray, I spread an open napkin over the top and leave the tray on the table. It has always been removed when we return to our cabin.
Thanks Sail, that has also been my usual procedure on various ships within the past couple of years. But as it turned out, on several different mornings during our May voyage on Veendam, we received a call from Room Service about an hour after our breakfast was delivered, asking if they could pick up the tray. I didn't think that was necessary since we were given the number to dial to have the tray collected, but nevertheless, I replied that the tray could be collected. More than once, after waiting more than an hour for them to pick up the tray, I got on with my day and was in the shower when room service knocked on the door to collect the tray, despite having the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

One morning, my husband and I were on our balcony after breakfast in our night clothes. We looked into our cabin and saw someone from room service picking up our breakfast tray and leaving. Obviously, we didn't hear him knock since we were outside, and had already given permission much earlier for the tray to be picked up, but we weren't expecting someone to just walk in with the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door (although we know better now!).

Another morning, when we phoned room service to collect our breakfast tray, we were told to leave it outside our cabin door. Which we did, although we were not comfortable doing so because just around the corner from our cabin was a mobility chair (scooter?) being charged with a cord that pluged into an electrical outlet on the opposite side of the corridor...two major tripping hazzards within two feet of one another.

Perhaps some might consider this excellent service, but, to be honest, I was not comfortable with the inconsistancy.

Nevertheless, we enjoyed the May cruise so much so that we are repeating it again in August. I think I'll tell room serivce if they call asking if they can pick up the tray, that I'll call them when they can collect the tray (and that will be after we're showered and dressed, just before we leave our cabin in the morning!).

Regards,
Salacia
#93
820 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Salacia
dag, while I wanted to take a nice bath in my A category cabin on the Veendam last May, the tub had obviously not been properly cleaned. Like you, I did not complain because I also felt the steward would suffer the consequences. I took showers instead, and that was good enough. I was thinking of taking cleaning supplies on board for my next voyage so I could clean the tub myself...but heck, I'll just soak in the ocean and shower on board.

HAL and other cruise lines face the consequences of asking staff to do too much while asking passengers to accept much less. Regards, Salacia
It's been a few years since we have been on a HAL, (since 2004 when we were on the Volendam) We had been thinking of trying HAL again, but if we need to take our own cleaning supplies and clean our own bathrooms.........well maybe we'll stay with Celebrity.

Good grief folks cleaning your own rooms ??????? What are you thinking?
#94
USA
9,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by WpgCruise
It's been a few years since we have been on a HAL, (since 2004 when we were on the Volendam) We had been thinking of trying HAL again, but if we need to take our own cleaning supplies and clean our own bathrooms.........well maybe we'll stay with Celebrity.

Good grief folks cleaning your own rooms ??????? What are you thinking?
Hi WpgCruise. Please don't take my comment about one voyage on one HAL ship in a particular cabin to mean anything other than just my personal experience. BTW, I was referring to the whirlpool bath tub in my cabin - the rest of the bathroom was very clean. Regards, -S
#95
Orange County, Calif
22,010 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by WpgCruise
It's been a few years since we have been on a HAL, (since 2004 when we were on the Volendam) We had been thinking of trying HAL again, but if we need to take our own cleaning supplies and clean our own bathrooms.........well maybe we'll stay with Celebrity.

Good grief folks cleaning your own rooms ??????? What are you thinking?
Wow, haven't ever had a cleaning problem with Hal. Once on Celebrity, we had a problem with mildew in the tub shower area, all I did was tell the room steward and it was taken care of quickly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<I><IMG title="<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />" border=0 alt="<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />" src="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/image.php?u=32889&type=sigpic&dateline=1357436982" ></I>
Melodie

Admiral-1-cruise
Holland America-46-cruises
Carnival-1-cruise
Celebrity-4-cruises
Crystal-1-cruise
Princess-3-cruises
Royal Caribbean-2-cruises
#96
The Heartland
389 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by WpgCruise
Good grief folks cleaning your own rooms ??????? What are you thinking?
I always take a cylinder of cleaning wipes. When we get into the cabin, out they come and everyone wipes down all surfaces. It takes very little time. I also have hand sanitizer set up always.

It isn't that I don't think the room is clean ... but I doubt that it is sanitary. I am neither a germophobe, nor a neat freak but I do take more care with "communal" spaces. I wash my hands first thing when I return home. Same idea.
#97
81,022 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by Salacia
Thanks Sail, that has also been my usual procedure on various ships within the past couple of years. But as it turned out, on several different mornings during our May voyage on Veendam, we received a call from Room Service about an hour after our breakfast was delivered, asking if they could pick up the tray. I didn't think that was necessary since we were given the number to dial to have the tray collected, but nevertheless, I replied that the tray could be collected. More than once, after waiting more than an hour for them to pick up the tray, I got on with my day and was in the shower when room service knocked on the door to collect the tray, despite having the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

One morning, my husband and I were on our balcony after breakfast in our night clothes. We looked into our cabin and saw someone from room service picking up our breakfast tray and leaving. Obviously, we didn't hear him knock since we were outside, and had already given permission much earlier for the tray to be picked up, but we weren't expecting someone to just walk in with the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door (although we know better now!).

Another morning, when we phoned room service to collect our breakfast tray, we were told to leave it outside our cabin door. Which we did, although we were not comfortable doing so because just around the corner from our cabin was a mobility chair (scooter?) being charged with a cord that pluged into an electrical outlet on the opposite side of the corridor...two major tripping hazzards within two feet of one another.

Perhaps some might consider this excellent service, but, to be honest, I was not comfortable with the inconsistancy.

Nevertheless, we enjoyed the May cruise so much so that we are repeating it again in August. I think I'll tell room serivce if they call asking if they can pick up the tray, that I'll call them when they can collect the tray (and that will be after we're showered and dressed, just before we leave our cabin in the morning!).

Regards,
Salacia
What an unpleasant experience.
I never call for them to pick up the tray and were they to call and ask if it was convenient for them to pick up the tray, I would respond 'No'. When we are in our cabin, we do not wish to be disturbed. We put out the do not disturb sign and double lock the door.

My system seems to have worked fine for more than 75+ cruises on HAL. I have never called for tray removal and it always disappears when we have left the cabin. I don't know who or how or when but I don't think we have ever found the tray still there when we returned.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
#98
Beautiful BC, Canada.
6,785 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by sail7seas
All our HAL cruises, whenever we have room service, I neatly stack the dirty dishes/glasses on the tray, I spread an open napkin over the top and leave the tray on the table. It has always been removed when we return to our cabin.

This is exactly what we do. I always make sure the dishes are stacked in such a way that they won't fall over, and cover all with the napkin. We've done this since cruise one, and we have breakfast in our cabin every day. We've never called for pickup since that first cruise.

The only call we've had from room service was on our last cruise - every single day (and it was a long cruise) the phone would ring sometime after we'd eaten breakfast, and it would be "Juan from Room service, how was your breakfast today?". By the end of the first week I was picking up the phone and saying "Hi Juan" before he even spoke, and we'd both laugh. He only ever wanted to know if breakfast was OK and delivered on time.
#99
WA State
6,593 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by startwin
This is exactly what we do. I always make sure the dishes are stacked in such a way that they won't fall over, and cover all with the napkin. We've done this since cruise one, and we have breakfast in our cabin every day. We've never called for pickup since that first cruise.

The only call we've had from room service was on our last cruise - every single day (and it was a long cruise) the phone would ring sometime after we'd eaten breakfast, and it would be "Juan from Room service, how was your breakfast today?". By the end of the first week I was picking up the phone and saying "Hi Juan" before he even spoke, and we'd both laugh. He only ever wanted to know if breakfast was OK and delivered on time.
We do the same thing too, we've never called for the trays to be picked up. Although we don't have breakfast in our cabin every morning, we do often during a cruise.

Funny about the call from room service. On our last cruise we got that call each time, it became a joke with us too. Had never gotten that call before, unless there had been a problem getting our delivery.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn



Koningsdam,Eastern/Western Caribbean 2017,
Infinity,Pacific Coastal 2016, Veendam East Coast/Canada/New England 2016, Statendam South America 2015, Westerdam Pacific Coastal 2014, Eurodam Baltic Adventure 2014, Infinity British Isles 2014, Zuiderdam Pacific Coastal 2013, Noordam, Southern Caribbean 2013, Maasdam, Canada-New England 2012, Silhouette, Holy Land 2011, Amsterdam, Pacific Coastal 2010, Zaandam, Circle Hawaii 2010, Zuiderdam, Sunfarer Panama Canal 2009, Rotterdam, Med 2008, Volendam, Pacific Coastal 2007, Noordam, Pacific Coastal 2007, Rotterdam, Eastern Med and Egypt 2006, Amsterdam, Alaska 2004
10,928 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
HAL could use some help in the MDR as well.

Perhaps some the the passengers could start serving coffee or bussing the tables.