Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > Let the Games Begin Again

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Howdy

Made it home Tuesday night. Laundry drain in basement backing up so plumber coming in a few days. Got cortisone shot in hip yesterday. Frost on ground this morning. I need a cruise!

The drive home was pleasant. Had lunch in Wytheville with cruising friends (Katie H). We are getting together with them and 8-10 others later this month for a weekend wine fest-visiting various wineries in that region. I think they are getting a van and my role will be designated driver. Hope they tip in chocolate.

Looking back, it was one of the very best cruises ever. The itinerary was as good as it gets in the Caribbean, good table mates, perfect weather, and calm seas.

Where'd everybody go?

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Old April 12th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Bob - Glad you made it home safely and glad you and Phyllis enjoyed your cruise!

VC

Old April 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Howdy

Hope the trips north were good, Carol.

Near record highs on the way today.

We are thinking about a Europe cruise next year. Perhaps a TA and a 12 nighter in the med. Biggest problem is airfare. Probably fly to Barcelona or Venice or Rome. Anyone know of bargains or how to find them? As we are both small, we can take cheap flights with little room in the seats. Any advice appreciated.

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Old April 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bob... Just popping in to say.. I finally made your Pulled Pork recipe!! Very good.. I made 3 lbs.. and It made plenty for just the two of us... a little sweet for me.. so next time I will mix with some other Barbecue sauce... but it was YUMMY!!

I always watch.. Airfare.com and Cheaptickets... when we flew to Barcelona.. both sites were offering the same deal... but one seemed to process faster...

also will add.. I've been having some health problems since January... turns out I have Hyper thyroid... with Nodules in my thyroid... I will have surgery to have it removed at Yale/New Haven probably late May or June.. and will be on SYntroid after that.. I went for a second opinion.. has been something of an ordeal ... but I am "regulated' with Meds right now... with almost a normal lifestyle.. I lost 25 lbs and had an elevated heart beat... and "panic" like attacks...

so good to see everyone is doing well... and I will be lurking to hear all about Lois' cruise to Europe... Bob... Just book it... !!

Old April 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Hello Lorraine so good to see you again!
Sorry you have been having health issues and hoping everything
goes well...sending you all good thoughts, best wishes and love too.
Hope your kids are well and the Newlyweds are happy....are they still
newlyweds?...or has it been over a year? I can't remember when they
got married!

I am down to 25 days...but who's counting I have been very
happy with the roll call and the people are terrtific on it I actually
offered to try and organize a luncheon (something I thought I would
NEVER do)......I have tried to get some positive feedback from
Celebrity with no luck so hopefully the Event Cooridator
on the ship will help. We have 38 people who want to attend.

Hi Bob, oh...you are thinking of Europe for next year? I was thinking
of a British Isles cruise for May 2013 but not sure. I absolutely LOVE
Alaska and was thinking about doing that again..some many choices...

Hope everyone else is doing well too
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Up Next, REFLECTION.....11/14

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Good morning

Great to hear from you Lorraine! Hope the surgery etc resolves the issues and you get back to being your normal crazy self . Never thought of that recipe as sweet, but glad you liked it enough to consider making it again with modifications. We love it because it is so easy. In fact, Phyl hasn't made it for a while so I am going to get the stuff tomorrow!

I need to find a coffee can or two buried in the back yard before I book Europe! I see a lot of great last minute cruising bargains over there, such as in the Tuesday sale tomorrow, but am concerned about finding last minute airfares. Will check out those sites you mentioned Lorraine.

Our 25th anniversary will be on May 7th next year and I would like to do the Europe thing then. Phyl really wants to see the Greek isles.

Lois, no use in contacting anyone ahead of time on the lunch. The events coordinator always does those and we have never had a problem. She is the one who organizes the Connections party and you could simply get with her then. But, if you want to give her a heads up, maybe you could ask someone on the cruise or two before you to let her know you have a group of 35-40 interested in arranging a farewell lunch.

Our senior golf league kicks off this morning .

Hasta luego

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Bob - For flights check 1800flyeurope.com
We've used them several times for flights to Europe.....

VC

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Then again Bob.. Maybe its my medication... makes my water taste wierd too..

Lois... its been 6 mos they've been married as of last Sunday.. .they are very happy and now have an 8 mo old female Welsh Cardigan Corgi they adopted on the New Year.. she is Cute.. CHLOE... so I have a GRand Dog.,, ,I;ve been trusted to dog sit Twice now!!

The Greek Isles are Awesome.. .I wanna go back!!

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb

Lorraine, I do hope the surgery helps. We'll be thinking positive thoughts your way! (Unrelated note: My cousin had thyroid cancer, had surgery, is cured. He said that if you have to have it, that's the kind to get. Well, I guess so, but still and all.... But maybe thyroids are relatively easy to fix once they're diagnosed?)

Bob, J tried to organize a luncheon for our Feb 22 Silhouette roll call but the events coordinator was unresponsive. We had a fairly large group, too. I gather from comments/reviews of later cruises, that she finally figured things out. Maybe she was newish when we sailed.

I also noticed a couple of "thanks to wvufan" notes re your cruise. Nice going. And it sounds as if the cruise went well anyhow and that what you did enhanced it all.

S
5 - 19 Jan 2013 Celebrity Summit - San Juan/Caribbean B2B review photos dailies

27 May - 3 June 2012 Celebrity Summit - Bayonne/Bermuda review photos dailies, youth activities, menus
22 Feb - 5 Mar 2012 Celebrity Silhouette - Bayonne/Caribbean review photos dailies & menus
5 - 12 June 2011 Celebrity Summit - Bayonne/Bermuda review photos dailies

20 Dec 2010 - 3 Jan 2011 Celebrity Mercury - Baltimore/Caribbean review photos
21 Dec 2009 - 2 Jan 2010 Celebrity Mercury - Baltimore/Caribbean review photos dailies
26 May - 4 June 2008 Caribbean Princess - Brooklyn/Caribbean review photos
2-9 April 2006 Peter Deilmann Mozart (Danube River) travelog-photos-review
8-19 July 2002 Celebrity Galaxy - Baltimore/Caribbean
24-28 Dec 1990 Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress - Miami/Bahamas

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh.. I should clarify.. I had a needle biopsy done last week.. these nodules are NOT Cancer.. I am thankful... but I have heard the same.. It's been a while to get me regulated.. as the hormone is stored in your body... I had weight loss. racing heart beat... insomnia.. and general 'Hyper" symptons... so good to be able to sleep better and not eat and drink water constantly.. now I have to be careful or I will gain it all back..

Old April 17th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Howdy

Woke up to the wonderful aroma of barbequed pork smothered in onions in our slow cooker Thanks Lorraine! We always use the plain Baby Ray's, but they also have other flavors that might have been sweeter.

Racing heart beat, hormone fluctuations, sleeplessness. At least you're not pregnant .

Nova, on our recent cruise they switched events coordinators in mid stream (well, actually they waited until we reached shore) and the new one wasn't made aware of a request for a luncheon. However, she was able to put it together in short notice and it turned out fine. I suspect the gal on the Silly was new or perhaps overwhelmed with other groups. Anyway, the luncheon usually is no problem. I like getting involved in the roll calls as it gives me an opportunity to get to make new friends.

Played golf yesterday and for some strange reason I drove the ball better than I can ever remember. Only played nine holes, but every drive was good distance and middle of fairway. Unfortunately, my previous round was on a course in Florida with fast greens, and my putting stroke is AWOL. But, I am confident in my driving and optimistic about a good year.

Found reasonable airfares with Portugal airlines-about $760 r/t from Newark to Barcelona. I may have to look at this seriously.

Y'all have a great day!

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:20 AM
5,000+ Club

Trop...I am sorry to read that you have been having such a problem with the thyroid. I hope the surgery goes well and your problems will be solved. I wouldn't mind losing 25 pounds, but wouldn't like your other symptoms. Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

All last week I was busy cleaning out the Florida place when my husband and 2 sons left to go back north. Then I had to make the 940 mile drive up I 95 to Maryland. Now I am home and faced with a house that hasn't been dusted and cleaned since last Nov. and has had 3 guys living in it for 5 days without mama bear here to keep them in line....and I HATE to clean! I need a wine tour

I want to go on a cruise that Bob is on so I can have someone plan out all of my activities.

VC...How are things going with your health? Are you and Rod doing okay?

Lois...I think of you every time I drive through Jacksonville and hope someday I can arrange to meet you.
MOS/WGIG #104

Friend of Henry

NCL Leeward to Canada,RCL Song of America to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Eastern Caribbean,HAL Statendam to Southern Carribbean,NCL Norweigan Crown to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Western Caribbean,NCL Wind to Alaska,Orient Lines Orient Crown to Mediterranean,NCL Sky to Alaska,Celebrity Zenith to Caribbean,HAL Noordam to Exotic Caribbean,Celebrity Galaxy B2B Baltimore to Galveston, Sun Princess to Caribbean Oct 29,05, RCL Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic Apr.30,06, Carnival Liberty Mediterranean Oct, 06RCL Radiance of the Seas Circle Hawaii Sept 28,2007, Mustard of the Seas F2F Chicago July 25,2008,Monarch of the Seas, LA to Mex. Sept. 8, 2008, Celebrity Constellation, Repo NJ to FL Oct 30, 2008,
RCI Enchantment of the Seas, Colon Panama to Ft. Lauderdale, April 19, 2009Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 14th, 2009
Radiance of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, Feb.12, 2010
Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean, Oct. 29, 2010
Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 12, 2011, bahamas
Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, Oct.2013
Celebrity Century to the Caribbean, 2/15/14-2/23/14

Old April 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvufan View Post
Howdy

Woke up to the wonderful aroma of barbequed pork smothered in onions in our slow cooker Thanks Lorraine! We always use the plain Baby Ray's, but they also have other flavors that might have been sweeter.

Racing heart beat, hormone fluctuations, sleeplessness. At least you're not pregnant .

Nova, on our recent cruise they switched events coordinators in mid stream (well, actually they waited until we reached shore) and the new one wasn't made aware of a request for a luncheon. However, she was able to put it together in short notice and it turned out fine. I suspect the gal on the Silly was new or perhaps overwhelmed with other groups. Anyway, the luncheon usually is no problem. I like getting involved in the roll calls as it gives me an opportunity to get to make new friends.

Played golf yesterday and for some strange reason I drove the ball better than I can ever remember. Only played nine holes, but every drive was good distance and middle of fairway. Unfortunately, my previous round was on a course in Florida with fast greens, and my putting stroke is AWOL. But, I am confident in my driving and optimistic about a good year.

Found reasonable airfares with Portugal airlines-about $760 r/t from Newark to Barcelona. I may have to look at this seriously.

Y'all have a great day!

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl
Bob, that is REALLY, REALLY, cheap.....you need to grab that
airfare!!!!
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Up Next, REFLECTION.....11/14

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Good morning from St. Joseph's Hospital. Kid may have surge tomorrow on his aneurysm.

I think we have given up on going to Europe for now-we can take two cruises to the Caribbean or Alaska for the cost of one overseas. Plus, we like to cruise with friends, so we are content in our own hemisphere.

As of now we are booked on the Eclipse for December and will likely book the same cruise next Nov 30. In the spring of 2013 we may look at Alaska or maybe even a road trip.

Carol, hope you have the boys and house all whipped back into shape.

Big storm coming in-rain and even snow in the mountains with strong winds. I need a cruise.

Y'all have a great week!

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb

Lorraine, I did realize that my cousin had something you, very fortunately, do NOT have (sigh of relief). It was more my feeling that things in general in the thyroid, once diagnosed correctly, are more easily fixed than things in some other areas. At least, I'm hoping yours is easily fixed now that they figured out what is going on. Looking forward to your update and sending good thoughts in your direction.

Bob, how are things going with the possible surgery you mentioned yesterday morning?? Suspect you had snow at home today, however.

My son and family were here for my niece's wedding (which was great fun, very informal). They did fine for weather in DC, saw monuments and museums and such, until yesterday, when everybody froze. And I think they stayed in the apartment they had rented today -- son and DDIL had a business lunch and the nanny and 3 kids were probably too cold to go outside. They weren't expecting this weather so didn't pack their New York winter stuff! The 6 year old is wonderful, the 2 year old is, well, 2 years old, and the baby is 5 months old and smiling now, but still crying a lot for no apparent reason. Wonder if that'll stop once he learns to talk.

S
Still counting down -- getting close to one month soon.

27 May - 3 June 2012 Celebrity Summit - Bayonne/Bermuda review photos dailies, youth activities, menus
22 Feb - 5 Mar 2012 Celebrity Silhouette - Bayonne/Caribbean review photos dailies & menus

21 Dec 2009 - 2 Jan 2010 Celebrity Mercury - Baltimore/Caribbean review photos dailies

Old April 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Good morning from the hospital. Everything went fine. Stent is in and blood flow is better. May get to home today.

We booked the Eclipse for Nov 30 2013. Love that itinerary. Decided we could cruise more often if we didn't go to Europe.

Nova, we urge and urge the little ones to walk and talk, but as soon as they do we tell them to sit down and shut up.

Hasta luego

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:51 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgnova View Post

My son and family were here for my niece's wedding (which was great fun, very informal). They did fine for weather in DC, saw monuments and museums and such, until yesterday, when everybody froze. And I think they stayed in the apartment they had rented today -- son and DDIL had a business lunch and the nanny and 3 kids were probably too cold to go outside. They weren't expecting this weather so didn't pack their New York winter stuff! The 6 year old is wonderful, the 2 year old is, well, 2 years old, and the baby is 5 months old and smiling now, but still crying a lot for no apparent reason. Wonder if that'll stop once he learns to talk.
I was just thinking of when you were so excitedly waiting for the oldest GS to be born. Your son and wife were really fast workers with adding to the family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvufan View Post
Good morning from the hospital. Everything went fine. Stent is in and blood flow is better. May get to home today.

We booked the Eclipse for Nov 30 2013. Love that itinerary. Decided we could cruise more often if we didn't go to Europe.

Nova, we urge and urge the little ones to walk and talk, but as soon as they do we tell them to sit down and shut up.

Hasta luego

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl
Good news that all went well with the surgery. I hope it all clears up and he will not have any more problems with the leg.

I have been getting substitute jobs and so have been keeping busy. I still can't seem to get this place organized and should just stay home, but the lure of making my spending money out weighs staying home to clean the house. I actually have things clean, I just can't get the paper work organized.
MOS/WGIG #104

Friend of Henry

NCL Leeward to Canada,RCL Song of America to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Eastern Caribbean,HAL Statendam to Southern Carribbean,NCL Norweigan Crown to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Western Caribbean,NCL Wind to Alaska,Orient Lines Orient Crown to Mediterranean,NCL Sky to Alaska,Celebrity Zenith to Caribbean,HAL Noordam to Exotic Caribbean,Celebrity Galaxy B2B Baltimore to Galveston, Sun Princess to Caribbean Oct 29,05, RCL Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic Apr.30,06, Carnival Liberty Mediterranean Oct, 06RCL Radiance of the Seas Circle Hawaii Sept 28,2007, Mustard of the Seas F2F Chicago July 25,2008,Monarch of the Seas, LA to Mex. Sept. 8, 2008, Celebrity Constellation, Repo NJ to FL Oct 30, 2008,
RCI Enchantment of the Seas, Colon Panama to Ft. Lauderdale, April 19, 2009Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 14th, 2009

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:01 PM
5,000+ Club

No posters today...

Next week it will be 2 years since I had my knee replaced, so I went to the doc today to get it checked out. At my visit to the knee doc they did x-rays and the replaced knee looks good, but my knee was swollen and he drained a huge amount of fluid from the knee. The fluid was clear and didn't look like an infection, and he said some people just produce more fluids than others. Actually, my knee feels funny without the fluid in there, and I like the way it feels with the fluid there. It never hurt, and didn't look that swollen to me, so I was shocked when I saw how much stuff he pulled out of me.
MOS/WGIG #104

Friend of Henry

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC104 View Post
Next week it will be 2 years since I had my knee replaced, so I went to the doc today to get it checked out. [snipped the rest]

Carol: Glad they keep an eye on you afterwards. Interesting that you didn't think it was swollen and it felt fine but the doc must have thought it was necessary to check/drain all the fluid. Glad it wasn't any problem, though. Thanks for the update -- I have that to look forward to, I guess.

S

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Hi, Happy Friday everyone....well it is getting close....one more work
week and then 2 days....one week from Wednesday I fly to Rome
I will be sorting out clothing this weekend. I got 3 new dresses
and they are the lovely matte jersey that does not wrinkle!
Hey Bob, hope your son is doing ok.

I can't believe Monday is 8 months since my Dad died.....where
has the time gone?
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06