Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
- Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals
- Write a Norwegian Cruise Review
- Find Your Norwegian Roll Call
See posts about:
Norwegian Bliss
Norwegian Escape
Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Pearl
Norwegian Star

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Getaway
Pride of America
Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Jade
Norwegian Sky

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Look forward to hearing your review of the Chef's Table. Hope we will be two of the lucky 12 in September!

TracyE, glad you enjoyed it...and presumably your cruise. Any movement on the job front?

Norwegian Cruise Lines Platinum
Sailed:PRINCESS Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 2014/NCL Jade- Rome to Venice - April 2013/NCL Gem- Canada - Sep 2012 /NCL Sun - Western Caribbean - Oct 2010 / NCL Sun - South America - March 2010 / Costa Atlantica - Caribbean - Nov 2009 / NCL Star-Mexican Riviera-Thanksgiving 2008 / NCL Jade-Eastern Med-Apr-May 2008 - 50th Birthday Celebration / Celebrity Infinity-Southern Caribbean-March 2006-Atlantis Charter / NCL Sun-Western Caribbean-New Years 2005 / Celebrity Summit-Alaska-August 2003-DDP's 40th Birthday Celebration / Carnival Mardi Gras-Eastern Caribbean-March 1980
98 Days at Sea.....not nearly enough!

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cruise4Ever View Post
Code red means that there has been an outbreak of the noro virus on board. No self service of any kind...
Yes, it was code red. It was code red the week before as well, which was when NY schools were on April Break. Last week, Massachusetts (and perhaps CT) schools were on April Break. I'm a teacher in MA, and there have been lots of bugs going around (including norovirus). I suspect that the extra-high concentration of kids did not help with the sanitation. Just as winter is prime season for the flu because everyone is cooped up inside and touching everything, cruise ships are always prime for spreading germs like norovirus because so many people are crammed in such a small space together.

I heard that something like 300 people were quarantined during the NY vacation week cruise. I have to say, while I do know of a few people who got sick, I think NCL did a fantastic job in containing it during my cruise. I heard that all the wait staff were working 15 hour days to staff the buffets! They needed the extra manpower to have enough people to serve guests from the buffet and drink stations so that guests were not touching food or food serving utensils. They had to add the extra staff after some guests complained about having to wait to long for things like glasses of water. Normally, we would fill our own cups with ice and water. To contain the spread of the GI bug, NCL had servers filling glasses for people.

There was also (what became) the phenomenon of "washy washy." I don't remember this being such a thing on the Epic last summer, but every time you walk into a restaurant or through a buffet, one of the servers (some of whom would say "washy washy!") would squirt hand sanitizer gel on your hands as you entered. The comedian and the second city even added this to their routines and improv skits!

I think many of the teachers on board are considering instituting a "washy-washy" policy on all the kids who enter their classrooms! I know I am!

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAir View Post
Yes, it was code red. It was code red the week before as well, which was when NY schools were on April Break. Last week, Massachusetts (and perhaps CT) schools were on April Break. I'm a teacher in MA, and there have been lots of bugs going around (including norovirus). I suspect that the extra-high concentration of kids did not help with the sanitation. Just as winter is prime season for the flu because everyone is cooped up inside and touching everything, cruise ships are always prime for spreading germs like norovirus because so many people are crammed in such a small space together.

I heard that something like 300 people were quarantined during the NY vacation week cruise. I have to say, while I do know of a few people who got sick, I think NCL did a fantastic job in containing it during my cruise. I heard that all the wait staff were working 15 hour days to staff the buffets! They needed the extra manpower to have enough people to serve guests from the buffet and drink stations so that guests were not touching food or food serving utensils. They had to add the extra staff after some guests complained about having to wait to long for things like glasses of water. Normally, we would fill our own cups with ice and water. To contain the spread of the GI bug, NCL had servers filling glasses for people.

There was also (what became) the phenomenon of "washy washy." I don't remember this being such a thing on the Epic last summer, but every time you walk into a restaurant or through a buffet, one of the servers (some of whom would say "washy washy!") would squirt hand sanitizer gel on your hands as you entered. The comedian and the second city even added this to their routines and improv skits!

I think many of the teachers on board are considering instituting a "washy-washy" policy on all the kids who enter their classrooms! I know I am!
I agree with you JenAir. My family and I were on the same cruise as you and we a felt like the Gem staff was doing everything humanly possible to keep people from getting sick. We appreciate all their extra efforts and did not mind waiting for the staff to serve us even in the buffet. Kudos to NCL for going the extra mile to keep people well.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Here we go- the chef's table!

I'm working on making the picture sizes from the dinner smaller so I can post them- but until them, here is the menu!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCL Gem Chefs Table 001 (582x800).jpg (6.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg jen and dave at chefs table 001 (2) (643x800).jpg (18.9 KB, 21 views)

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Chef's dinner- food and pictures!

Amuse Bouche 'Molecular Gastronome'
Spherical Mango, Vodka & Jalapeno Ravioli

Tomato, Basil, Curry & Lavender Lavosh

Ahi Tuna Tartare
Orange Wasabi Glaze / Sesame Crisp

Asparagus Cream
Cauliflower Flan/ Crispy Beetroot & Saffron Angel Hair

Short Crust Tartlet
Goat Cheese / Sun Dried Tomato Chutney / Basil Oil / Kalamata Olive Tapenade

Granite
Grapefruit and Moscato
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...08858246_n.jpg

Pan Seared Sea Bass
Plaintain Crusted / Mango, Papaya & Avocado Salsa / Lobster Veloute

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

'Milk-Fed' Veal Chop
Anna Potatoes / Sauteed Spinach / Truffle Veal Jus

Cheese
St. Andre Triple Creme & Stilton / Honey Comb / Port Wine Infused Figs / Bagel Chips / Pickled Watermelon

Dome
Yogurt Mousse / Lychee Raspberry Creme / Hazel Sablee / Lime Vanilla Reduction

Chocolate Log
'Spiced' Dark Rum Infused Banana
Cocoa Mousse

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Re: CODE RED - I was on this sailing. There were actually around 30 cases of the virus the week before our sailing; not sure how many new cases popped up this week, but know there were some. While the precautions were a bit inconvenient, they were necessary and very much appreciated. I would venture to guess that the precautions will still be in place for this week's entire sailing.

NCL Jade - May 2014
NCL Breakaway - October 2013 & March 2014
NCL Epic - May 19, 2013
RC Jewel of the Seas - October 2012
NCL Gem - April 2011, October 2011, April 2012, June 2013 & October 2014
NCL Jewel - March 2007 & March 2009
NCL Sun - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2010
Carnival Victory - July 2008
Disney Magic - March 2005
CC F2F-Chicago 7/08, Niagara 8/09, San Antonio 12/10

"I can not change the world for all animals but I can change one animal's world"