Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Windstar Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Windstar Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old March 26th, 2011, 12:20 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Passport Stamps?

We haven't cruised in Europe before, so please excuse this if it's a stupid question, but do they stamp your passports at the various ports of call in Europe? We're booked on a Venice to Athens cruise for next year, and are now considering adding a week for a back-to-back that starts in Rome.

It would be neat to have stamps from all five countries we'd be visiting rather than just the two that we'd start and finish from.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens

Still to come...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. See how I did it here.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM
5,000+ Club

With the European Union, you should get an entry stamp at your first port and an exit stamp on disembarkation. At least on land, there are no border formalities at all between countries, so people move freely all the time without getting passports stamped.

Roy

Future cruises:

Currently on:
MS Amsterdam Cape Town to FTL
Coming
8/8/14 Radiance OTS Northbound Alaska >>>8/17/14 Statendam Southbound Alaska
10/28/14 QM2 EB Transatlantic >>> Wind Star WB Transatlantic
4/4/15 Crystal Serenity EB Transatlantic >> 4/20/15 Prinsendam Kiel/Celtic Collectors

Old March 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
10,000+ Club

We did Athens to Venice a couple of years ago. Your passports will be stamed at the airport for your arrival city, and at the airport of your depature city; that's it. They are definately not stamped at each port, or when you get on or off the ship.

They aren't very interesting anyway, just a box with an airplane and the name of the city.
“You will lose someone you can’t live without, your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”

Old March 27th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
We did Athens to Venice a couple of years ago. Your passports will be stamed at the airport for your arrival city, and at the airport of your depature city; that's it. They are definately not stamped at each port, or when you get on or off the ship.

They aren't very interesting anyway, just a box with an airplane and the name of the city.
On our Istanbul to Athens cruise on Windspirit, I noticed both a stamp from Thira (Santorini) and Rhodes when the passports were returned upon disembarkation.

Old March 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazzleman View Post
On our Istanbul to Athens cruise on Windspirit, I noticed both a stamp from Thira (Santorini) and Rhodes when the passports were returned upon disembarkation.
I wonder why? We have never received any passport stamps while on any cruise, except at the airport.
“You will lose someone you can’t live without, your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”

Old March 29th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

It must depend on the country or port. When we did the Costa Rica cruise, we got a stamp when we landed in Costa Rica, a Costa Rican stamp from the port when the ship left Puerto Caldera, then another Costa Rica stamp coming back into the country after the Nicaragua port day (no stamp from Nicaragua). On a Regent cruise going from Japan-Russia-Alaska, we got a stamp leaving Japan, stamps going into/out of Russia (one day port-of-call) and a stamp entering US (at Anchorage, the last of our Alaskan ports, curiously). All of those were handled by immigrations and the ships' crews (except for the Russian stamps, which each passenger got personally from the Russian immigration officers on the ship before leaving and right after returning to the ship).

And in my experience, previous posters are correct regarding European Union, you'll only get a stamp from the country you enter and the one you exit, no matter which and how many you visit in the meantime. Possible that Santorini and Rhodes think it's good for tourism to offer the stamps -- not that I disagree; I am an unabashed passport stamp collector!
Regent Seven Seas Cruises|Mariner|Caribbean|December 2011
Windstar Cruises|Wind Spirit|Lisbon to Barcelona|April 2010
Regent Seven Seas Cruises|Mariner|Osaka, Japan to Seward, Alaska|May 2009
Windstar Cruises|Wind Star|Costa Rica|January 2007
Costa Cruises|Costa Atlantica|Western Caribbean|January 2001
Carnival|Destiny|Eastern Caribbean|September 1998
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by lkakers; March 29th, 2011 at 04:00 AM.

Old March 31st, 2011, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Passport stamps

It is possible that your passport will be stamped if you disembark from a Danube River cruise in Slovakia. According to our river boat crew, "Sometimes yes, sometimes no." Bratislava is a nice little town, though.

Old April 5th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazzleman View Post
There are 15 countries in Europe that are part of the Schengen visa, which makes travelling within Europe easier. You only need to be stamped on entry and exit, regardless of which country it is. Turkey is not one of these countries. The cruise you took leaves Turkey and enters Schengen waters (Greece) then leaves Schengen waters and goes back to Turkey, then leaves Turkish waters and heads back to Greece (Schengen waters).

You probably recieved the following; a stamp for entering Turkey by plane, a stamp for entering Greece by ship, a stamp for entering Turkey by ship, a stamp for entering Greece by ship and a stamp for exiting Greece by plane. Sometimes they dont stamp the second ship entry sometimes they do.

Old April 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Passport stamps

You can get passport stamps at the tourist offices of the mall principalities/ non-EU countries such as Monaco, Andorra, San Marino and Liechtenstein. Some UNESCO World Heritage sites also offer Passport stamps at their info desks but you have to ask: they tend not to advertise them. I am not sure if you can have your passport stamped in the post office at Vatican City... in some of these places there is a charge of $5 to $10. Nice souvenirs, though!

Old April 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
10,000+ Club

We stop in Croatia both before and after Venice, and that's not a Schengen country, so I'm wondering if we'll be stamped at the first Croatian port and then the next Schengen country after Croatia. I guess I'll know soon enough.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens

Still to come...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. See how I did it here.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
We stop in Croatia both before and after Venice, and that's not a Schengen country, so I'm wondering if we'll be stamped at the first Croatian port and then the next Schengen country after Croatia. I guess I'll know soon enough.
I have been on this same cruise. We received no passport stamps except at the airport.