Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > West Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

West Coast Departures
Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putterdude View Post
It's been a few years since I have been to Denver but yes you should find a duty free store inside of security, that is generally where they are located. However they often do not have much by way of a selection of wine, it is usually spirits, tobacco and perfumes that they concentrate on.
Probably just wait til Vancouver - I want a bit of a selection.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbee View Post
Here's the info for DEN's duty-free
http://www.flydenver.com/shopdetails?URI=tcm:8-1100

And yes, there are no non-stops to Florida from Vancouver; however you can fly non-stop to Cuba..
We may pop in for a look if that's near our gate - thanks.

Sure you can get to Cuba non-stop from FL but can you get back?

There must be a special school for determining airline routes & schedules. I understand the idea of optimizing based on hub and supply & demand - but sometimes they are just ridiculous.

Last time we flew we had to go through Fort Lauderdale to get from Orlando to Las Vegas to get reasonable time & price. Luckily for both flights we were switched to a direct flight when we got to the airport.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

CMcG, DH and I were just discussing how many cities there are that can't be accessed nonstop from Orlando. We chose to fly Air Canada to Toronto and then on to Vancouver...that route had better flight times for us! I understand that we will be going through customs in Toronto..anyone have any experience with that???

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:40 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecook View Post
CMcG, DH and I were just discussing how many cities there are that can't be accessed nonstop from Orlando. We chose to fly Air Canada to Toronto and then on to Vancouver...that route had better flight times for us! I understand that we will be going through customs in Toronto..anyone have any experience with that???
That is correct you will clear Canadian customs in Toronto....it's no big deal, you will be given a customs form to complete before landing, one form only needs to be completed per family but each family member traveling will need to sign it. You will clear customs with your passport and the form, then collect your luggage and as you exit the customs area you will hand the form to a customs officer. The time expended will depend upon the volume of people arriving when you do.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...s/e311-eng.pdf

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
That is correct you will clear Canadian customs in Toronto....it's no big deal ....

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...s/e311-eng.pdf
Done the transfer in Toronto many times. Some tips.....

- When you arrive in Toronto there are three customs area, one for passengers transferring onto international flights Asia/Europe/South America (their bags are automatically transferred), one for passanges going to the US (you clear US Customs before boarding your flight) and one for passengers making domestic connections or staying in Toronto. There are staff to guide you into the correct customs area.
- When you get into the line for customs if it is busy, they open up a fast line for connecting passengers such as yourself.
- If you did the duty free in Orlando you need to slip you liquids into your checked baggage before you put the bags back into the system.
- After you hand in your card and leave the customs hall to the left there is a hallway that leads to connections/baggage drop off. Air Canada agents are there to put your bags back into the system and rebook you if you missed a connection. There are flights between Toronto and Vancouver every hour.
- Norwegian Jewel:: West Coast (2013 May)

Last edited by em-sk; April 24th, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Old April 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecook View Post
I understand that we will be going through customs in Toronto..anyone have any experience with that???
Yes, you will be going through customs in Toronto. You'll then carry-on to the luggage carousels to collect your checked luggage. Follow the signs for connecting flights and just after you go through the door, you drop off your luggage and continue on to your gate. It's been a year since I did this and I'm pretty sure we had to go through security again after dropping off our checked luggage.

My travel blog ...click to read

Photos of 1-Day Cruise on the Grand Princess | Photobook of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess | Photos of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess[/b] | [b]Videos of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess | PHOTObook of Alaska 2013 on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas | VIDEOS of Alaska 2013 on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas | Photos of Canada New England 2012 on the Emerald Princess; Videos of Canada New England 2012 on the Emerald Princess | Photos of Alaska 2012 on the Celebrity Century | Photos of Coastal Cruise 2011 on the HAL Volendam | Photos of Caribbean 2011 on the Emerald Princess; Videos of Caribbean 2011 on the Emerald Princess | Photos of Coastal 2010 on the Golden Princess | Photos of Panama 2009 on the Coral Princess; Videos of Panama 2009 on the Coral Princess | Photos of Alaska 2009 on the HAL Zuiderdam; Videos of Alaska 2009 on HAL Zuiderdam | Photos of Alaska 2008 on the NCL Sun | Photos of Hawaii 2005 on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas

Old April 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Canadian Customs Question For Smokers.

Canadian Customs Question For Smokers.

For our b2b on the Island Princess in September, 2012 from Vancouver to Whittier and back, we will be flying into YVR a couple of days prior to embarkation. I am a tobacco user (smaller filter-tipped cigars) and will be packing enough for the two week cruise. The amount I am planning to pack will exceed the visitor's allowance of 50 cigars as shown on the Canadian Border Declaration Card and it says "Special Duty may apply."

Does anyone have any experience with how the Canadian Border Services Agency deals with travelers bringing in more than the duty-free allowance and how much the Special Duty might be? I have done some research, but find some of the information confusing.
Completed: . . . California Coastal (b2b) - Crown Princess - Oct, 2014... Alaska (b2b) - Grand Princess - Aug, 2014 . . . Alaska (b2b) - Crown Princess - Jun, 2014 . . . Hawaii, Tahiti & Somoa - Golden Princess - Apr, 2014 . . . California Coastal (b2b) - Sapphire Princess - Oct, 2013 . . . Alaska (b2b) - Diamond Princess - Aug, / Sep. 2013 . . . Alaska (b2b) - Golden Princess - Jun, 2013 . . . Mexico - Grand Princess - Mar, 2013 . . .Hawaii - Golden Princess - Jan, 2013 . . .Panama (b2b) - Coral / Island Princess - Oct. / Nov, 2012 . . .Alaska (b2b) - Island Princess - Sep, 2012 . . .Mexico (b2b) - Sapphire Princess - Feb, 2012. . . Hawaii - Golden Princess - Nov, 2011. . . Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sep, 2011. . . Hawaii - Golden Princess - Mar, 2011. . . Mexico - Sapphire Princess - Nov, 2010. . . Alaska - Golden Princess - May, 2010

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by usviking View Post

For our b2b on the Island Princess in September, 2012 from Vancouver to Whittier and back, we will be flying into YVR a couple of days prior to embarkation. I am a tobacco user (smaller filter-tipped cigars) and will be packing enough for the two week cruise. The amount I am planning to pack will exceed the visitor's allowance of 50 cigars as shown on the Canadian Border Declaration Card and it says "Special Duty may apply."

Does anyone have any experience with how the Canadian Border Services Agency deals with travelers bringing in more than the duty-free allowance and how much the Special Duty might be? I have done some research, but find some of the information confusing.
Sorry, no experience bringing cigars into BC - but you say 'we' above, so the other person(s) accompanying you can also have 50 cigars each as an allowance. There is no longer an age restriction on tobacco, so even if you're traveling with kids you can use their allowance.

If your companions are also smokers and maxing out their allowance with their own death-sticks, you could just contact CBSA by email or phone to ask them - part of the equation is dependent on actual value of the goods, part on how many you have for cigars, so without knowing exactly what you paid for the cigars it's impossible to run the calcs for you.

In general the hassles of paperwork mean the CBSA agents are unlikely to make you pay the duty if you are just fractionally over the allowance - we've come back from shopping trips with 5-10% extra a few times, declared that we have it, and just been waved through...
Island Princess May 2012
Veendam Sep 2010
Emerald Princess Mar 2009
Norwegian Gem Feb 2008
SS Uganda Nov 1982

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default To CMcG re: Customs & baggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
...Do we need to have prescriptions in original containers? Will they question the various vitamins that we usually put in baggies for each day? ...
Just read this post - saw others had replied about keeping your prescription containers etc. which is good. However, your vitamins in baggies could cause you major issues - I just head last week from a fellow diabetic traveling with their prescriptions, and even a medical letter confirming their status and need for drugs, glucose meter, stabs etc. who had done as you suggest, 'baggied up' each set of meds and supplements by meal and by day. They missed their flight because even with all of that evidence security insisted on having every tablet & gummy in the bags tested before they were allowed to board...

In short, never ever give any customs or immigration official any reason to make your life difficult!

Since you mention your prescriptions separately from your vitamins I'll assume you are taking the latter by choice rather than medical advice - if it's really that much of a hassle to bring the original bottles perhaps you could pick up a single bottle of broad-spectrum multi-vitamins in a pharmacy to last your vacation?
Island Princess May 2012
Veendam Sep 2010
Emerald Princess Mar 2009
Norwegian Gem Feb 2008
SS Uganda Nov 1982

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for your reply Martincath. I will contact CBSA.
Completed: . . . California Coastal (b2b) - Crown Princess - Oct, 2014... Alaska (b2b) - Grand Princess - Aug, 2014 . . . Alaska (b2b) - Crown Princess - Jun, 2014 . . . Hawaii, Tahiti & Somoa - Golden Princess - Apr, 2014 . . . California Coastal (b2b) - Sapphire Princess - Oct, 2013 . . . Alaska (b2b) - Diamond Princess - Aug, / Sep. 2013 . . . Alaska (b2b) - Golden Princess - Jun, 2013 . . . Mexico - Grand Princess - Mar, 2013 . . .Hawaii - Golden Princess - Jan, 2013 . . .Panama (b2b) - Coral / Island Princess - Oct. / Nov, 2012 . . .Alaska (b2b) - Island Princess - Sep, 2012 . . .Mexico (b2b) - Sapphire Princess - Feb, 2012. . . Hawaii - Golden Princess - Nov, 2011. . . Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sep, 2011. . . Hawaii - Golden Princess - Mar, 2011. . . Mexico - Sapphire Princess - Nov, 2010. . . Alaska - Golden Princess - May, 2010

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you all for taking the time to provide me with valuable information. I appreciate it!

Old April 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by martincath View Post
Just read this post - saw others had replied about keeping your prescription containers etc. which is good. However, your vitamins in baggies could cause you major issues - I just head last week from a fellow diabetic traveling with their prescriptions, and even a medical letter confirming their status and need for drugs, glucose meter, stabs etc. who had done as you suggest, 'baggied up' each set of meds and supplements by meal and by day. They missed their flight because even with all of that evidence security insisted on having every tablet & gummy in the bags tested before they were allowed to board...

In short, never ever give any customs or immigration official any reason to make your life difficult!

Since you mention your prescriptions separately from your vitamins I'll assume you are taking the latter by choice rather than medical advice - if it's really that much of a hassle to bring the original bottles perhaps you could pick up a single bottle of broad-spectrum multi-vitamins in a pharmacy to last your vacation?
I would probably have sat down & cried. Do they have equipment right there to test or did they have to send it off somewhere for testing? And how quickly can they test that stuff?

We buy many of the vitamins in bulk so the bottles are quite large - all of them together take up about 10x15 inch space in kitchen cabinet. And for some reason one brand uses glass bottles - they get a bit heavy even empty. I'll look to see if I can get smaller quantity bottles.

I'll have to show your message to my husband. I could probably get by with multivitamin & extra calcium - have to see what he thinks he must have. I guess I could also look into shipping a box to myself at the hotel in Vancouver or to the cruise ship.

Thanks for all your help - I still marvel over the walking maps you put together for me to get to Chinatown from Westin Bayshore!
Cheryl

Old April 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by usviking View Post

I have been known to smoke the occasional cigar on the golf course and each spring bring back more than 50 cigars....I bring in 50 and DW brings the other 25 or 30, no problem. I probably shouldn't encourage you but there is a shop in Canada Place that sells Cuban cigars....you can do what you wish with that information. There are also a number of cigar stores in downtown Vancouver.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you Putterdude for your input.

I appreciate all the input that you and others with first-hand knowledge regarding Vancouver have provided here on CC. This will be our first time through Vancouver and really looking forward to being there.

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have been known to smoke the occasional cigar on the golf course and each spring bring back more than 50 cigars....I bring in 50 and DW brings the other 25 or 30, no problem. I probably shouldn't encourage you but there is a shop in Canada Place that sells Cuban cigars....you can do what you wish with that information. There are also a number of cigar stores in downtown Vancouver.
Canada has more open trade with Cuba than the US. The reason Cuban cigars are legal in Canada. Also the reason Cuba is a common (low cost) vacation resort area for Canadians.

The Canada customs/immigration people are more interested in people entering Canada illegally, trying to bring things illegally into Canada or goods to be re-sold. They not going to look that closely at the average vacationer getting on a cruiser ship. That said a lot of it depends on the person you get that does the first screening.
- Norwegian Jewel:: West Coast (2013 May)

Old April 25th, 2012, 03:48 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by em-sk View Post
The Canada customs/immigration people are more interested in people entering Canada illegally
That's for sure, based on my last entry to Canada in October to visit a Vancouver friend for a few days. The immigration officer asked a lot of questions that seemed to reflect a concern that I might be seeking employment. It wasn't a "grilling" or anything, I've never experienced that many job-related questions entering any country.

The whole exchange was congenial...his last question was "So, your current job in the States is secure?" I answered, "Fortunately..." He chuckled and waved me through.
Carnival Paradise, Baja- January 2007
HAL Zaandam, Alaska- July 2008
HAL Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez- April 2010
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 1- November 2012
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 2- November 2013

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Flying from Boston to Dallas to Vancouver for a Princess cruise in July. Any idea of average time to clear Customs at Vancouver International? Then there is another Customs check at Canada Place, is that right?

Thanks,

Murf

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiah View Post
Flying from Boston to Dallas to Vancouver for a Princess cruise in July. Any idea of average time to clear Customs at Vancouver International?
Depends on time of day when you arrive. If it's the evening arrival, it shouldn't take too long.

Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam TATL Rome-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel to Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern(?)
Thomson Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:41 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiah View Post
Flying from Boston to Dallas to Vancouver for a Princess cruise in July. Any idea of average time to clear Customs at Vancouver International? Then there is another Customs check at Canada Place, is that right?
You clear Canadian Immigration & Customs at YVR. Should be 15 minutes typically, as long as your flight doesn't arrive at the exact same time as 3 jumbos from Asia. and according to yvr.ca it doesn't look like too much else international arrives around that time.

At Canada Place, you will clear USA Immigration & Customs prior to boarding (so you don't have to when you get to Alaska). The time taken depends on the number of ships departing that day.

2014/04 Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic
2012/11 Celebrity Equinox - Transatlantic
2011/09 Holland America Westerdam - Pacific Coastal
2010/11 Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas - Transatlantic
2008/12 Celebrity Mercury - Hawaii
2008/09 Celebrity Millennium - Northwest
2007/09 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal
2006/09 Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas - Alaska
2005/10 Celebrity Galaxy - Transatlantic
2003/11 Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas - W.Caribbean

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by em-sk View Post
...There are flights between Toronto and Vancouver every hour.
Just an FYI, there are hourly flights from Toronto to Vancouver on both Air Canada and WestJet. I flew WestJet Toronto to Vancouver last year, and it was one of the best flights I have ever had. They are a great airline. I wish they could open up a US subsidiary to offer domestic US flights.