Dave or Andymac Help needed please

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, are you just back from your Thomson cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:06 PM.
#1
Yorkshire
710 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I have seen in the Norway thread that you have both done the Flam Railway excursion with Thomson. We are interested in doing this but the info says, moderate walking may be over rough terrain and some steps. Can you help please and advise me on the walking involved.

Thanks

Mary
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Previous -

May 07 T.Spirit Spring Splendours Palma to Newcastle
April 08 T.Spirit Ancient Voyage
May 09 T.Celebration Pearls of the Aegean
Nov 09 Island Escape Colourful Coasts
May 10 T. Celebration
May 11 T. Spirit Adriatic Explorer
Nov 11 T. Dream Colourful Coasts
June 12 T. Spirit North Cape Adventure
March 13 T. Majesty Canarian Flavours
June 13 T Celebration
July 14 T Spirit Arctic Affair
May 15 T Celebration Adriatic Affair/Croatian Classics
#2
Kent, England
6,108 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Scarey Mary
I have seen in the Norway thread that you have both done the Flam Railway excursion with Thomson. We are interested in doing this but the info says, moderate walking may be over rough terrain and some steps. Can you help please and advise me on the walking involved.

Thanks

Mary
A couple of hundred yard to the station from the ship
About 400 yards from the station at Voss to the hotel for lunch, along pavement?
Some slopes and uneven ground etc at the waterfall but you can admire it from a distance away if you wish.
About 20 yards flat at the stalheim hotel with a few steps up to the hotel
thats about it IIRC

Of course they may have changed things since 2008!
#3
Dorset, UK
8,818 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by davecttr
A couple of hundred yard to the station from the ship
About 400 yards from the station at Voss to the hotel for lunch, along pavement?
Some slopes and uneven ground etc at the waterfall but you can admire it from a distance away if you wish.
About 20 yards flat at the stalheim hotel with a few steps up to the hotel
thats about it IIRC

Of course they may have changed things since 2008!

Ohhhhhhh.........that's just the detail you needed to know Mary. Thought Dave would be able to help. Will you be able to manage it do you think? I do hope so!
#4
Yorkshire
710 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by davecttr
A couple of hundred yard to the station from the ship
About 400 yards from the station at Voss to the hotel for lunch, along pavement?
Some slopes and uneven ground etc at the waterfall but you can admire it from a distance away if you wish.
About 20 yards flat at the stalheim hotel with a few steps up to the hotel
thats about it IIRC

Of course they may have changed things since 2008!
Thanks for info Dave hope it hasn't changed since 2008.

Kruzseeker I should be able to manage it because it's not constant walking, there are stops in between. I will have to take the crutches with me though just in case. Going to book it online with others and do as you suggested see Destination Services as soon as we board but I am sure it will be ok. Fingers crossed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Previous -

May 07 T.Spirit Spring Splendours Palma to Newcastle
April 08 T.Spirit Ancient Voyage
May 09 T.Celebration Pearls of the Aegean
Nov 09 Island Escape Colourful Coasts
May 10 T. Celebration
May 11 T. Spirit Adriatic Explorer
Nov 11 T. Dream Colourful Coasts
June 12 T. Spirit North Cape Adventure
March 13 T. Majesty Canarian Flavours
June 13 T Celebration
July 14 T Spirit Arctic Affair
May 15 T Celebration Adriatic Affair/Croatian Classics
#5
ayrshire scotland
190 Posts
Joined May 2010
agree with what dave has said, only thing is last time we were in flam it was tender to shore, so you were closer to station.
#6
Yorkshire
710 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by andy mac
agree with what dave has said, only thing is last time we were in flam it was tender to shore, so you were closer to station.
It's tender for us so that's even less walking then. Great
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Previous -

May 07 T.Spirit Spring Splendours Palma to Newcastle
April 08 T.Spirit Ancient Voyage
May 09 T.Celebration Pearls of the Aegean
Nov 09 Island Escape Colourful Coasts
May 10 T. Celebration
May 11 T. Spirit Adriatic Explorer
Nov 11 T. Dream Colourful Coasts
June 12 T. Spirit North Cape Adventure
March 13 T. Majesty Canarian Flavours
June 13 T Celebration
July 14 T Spirit Arctic Affair
May 15 T Celebration Adriatic Affair/Croatian Classics
#7
Yorkshire
710 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Thanks for your help both of you. I just have one more question have either of you done the Wilderness Centre and Polaria from Tromso? If so any info to help please

Thanks

Mary
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Previous -

May 07 T.Spirit Spring Splendours Palma to Newcastle
April 08 T.Spirit Ancient Voyage
May 09 T.Celebration Pearls of the Aegean
Nov 09 Island Escape Colourful Coasts
May 10 T. Celebration
May 11 T. Spirit Adriatic Explorer
Nov 11 T. Dream Colourful Coasts
June 12 T. Spirit North Cape Adventure
March 13 T. Majesty Canarian Flavours
June 13 T Celebration
July 14 T Spirit Arctic Affair
May 15 T Celebration Adriatic Affair/Croatian Classics
#8
ayrshire scotland
190 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Scarey Mary
Thanks for your help both of you. I just have one more question have either of you done the Wilderness Centre and Polaria from Tromso? If so any info to help please

Thanks

Mary
sorry mary hav'nt done this one,thought we would just wander around tromso ,BIG MISTAKE,when we were further south the weather had been great 23c but 2days later when we reached tromso temp had dropped to 6c and chill and wind it felt like -5c .
sorry can't help on this one.
#9
Yorkshire
710 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by andy mac
sorry mary hav'nt done this one,thought we would just wander around tromso ,BIG MISTAKE,when we were further south the weather had been great 23c but 2days later when we reached tromso temp had dropped to 6c and chill and wind it felt like -5c .
sorry can't help on this one.
what time of year did you go? I know it will be colder up there when we go in June but it will not be that bad will it?
Someone answered my question on the ports forum they went in winter and it sounded fantastic with a sled ride etc. but the Polaria exhibition was nothing much. Have decided not to bother with it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Previous -

May 07 T.Spirit Spring Splendours Palma to Newcastle
April 08 T.Spirit Ancient Voyage
May 09 T.Celebration Pearls of the Aegean
Nov 09 Island Escape Colourful Coasts
May 10 T. Celebration
May 11 T. Spirit Adriatic Explorer
Nov 11 T. Dream Colourful Coasts
June 12 T. Spirit North Cape Adventure
March 13 T. Majesty Canarian Flavours
June 13 T Celebration
July 14 T Spirit Arctic Affair
May 15 T Celebration Adriatic Affair/Croatian Classics
#10
ayrshire scotland
190 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Scarey Mary
what time of year did you go? I know it will be colder up there when we go in June but it will not be that bad will it?
Someone answered my question on the ports forum they went in winter and it sounded fantastic with a sled ride etc. but the Polaria exhibition was nothing much. Have decided not to bother with it.
by the way i ment further north not south.
we sailed from newcastle on the 10th june 2006, tromso was the worst day,all in all the weather was mixed but not too bad.
we had rain at the north cape but it did'nt stop the midnight party,we did see the midnight sun on two nights.
tromso was the exception.