Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Grand Turk
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
mrsfuzzmo's Avatar
mrsfuzzmo mrsfuzzmo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,649
Default Golf Cart Weight limit?

So, I've sent a message to Nathan's Gofl carts, but haven't heard back. We would like to rent a cart on our trip in April. There are four of us (all adults) and we would like to only rent one. My question is.....how "powerful" are the golf carts or do they have a weight limit? My husband is around 350 lbs (he's tall as well), although the rest of us are 'normal' sized. Will the golf cart have enough oomph to carry us around the island, or do you think we would need 2 carts?
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Loucat's Avatar
Loucat Loucat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,067
Default

We live in Florida and have our own cart. We rented a cart from Nathan in January. I can honestly say they have no power; problems with the gears and there is no way they could hold any significant weight. On the island, ours was slow with me at 115 lbs and DH at 190. The carts are small. Think of something else that will be fun and accomodate your needs.
__________________
Loucat

Caribbean Princess 2/12; 8/14
HAL Eurodam 1/12
Liberty OTS 5/11
NCL Sky 7/10; 5/13 Dawn 12/12; 12/13
Independence OTS 1/09
Celebrity Solstice 12/09
Radiance OTS 12/06; 2/07; 10/10
Jewel OTS 11/07; 4/09; 10/12
Empress OTS 3/05; 10/06;
Grandeur OTS 6/07
Enchantment OTS 11/05; 6/06; 11/09
Navigator OTS 6/05; 3/07
Explorer OTS Western 6/04; 1/05
Majesty OTS 11/04; 9/07; 12/08; 6/11
Azamara Quest 2/08
Adventure OTS 5/08
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:38 AM
pmoniz's Avatar
pmoniz pmoniz is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,492
Default

We rented 2 carts a couple years back from Nathan and we fit 4 adults in each without a problem! Not sure there will be enough oomph for the weight so I would rent 2 if that's what you decide to do. And just an FYI we had a blast touring the island on our own time and plan on renting them again in May.
__________________
SS Dolphin IV 5/88
Carnival Victory 6/00
Sovereign of the Seas 4/06
Carnival Miracle 4/23/08
Carnival Miracle 5/8/09
Carnival Destiny B2B 5/8/10
Carnival Destiny B2B 5/13/10
Carnival Pride 5/6/2012
Carnival Dream 10/12/2013
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:47 AM
mrsfuzzmo's Avatar
mrsfuzzmo mrsfuzzmo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,649
Default

Thanks so much for the help. I think I will opt for either 2 (if we can get them) or none at all. Doesn't sound like four of us in one cart would be a good idea. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:44 PM
snowteacher snowteacher is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 72
Default

How did the carts work out? My hubby is a large man as well. Curious about the weight it can carry. Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:40 AM
mrsfuzzmo's Avatar
mrsfuzzmo mrsfuzzmo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowteacher View Post
How did the carts work out? My hubby is a large man as well. Curious about the weight it can carry. Thanks
We haven't gone yet. We leave on the 15th of April (less than two weeks yay!). I'll let you know what happens.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM
palmbaytish's Avatar
palmbaytish palmbaytish is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 137
Default

We were just on Grand Turk on 3/30 and we rented from Nathan. There were 4 average size adults and a 75 lb child. We all fit, but let me tell you, right after you leave Nathans, there is this ever so slight "hill" you go up and we didn't think our cart would make it up the hill. Hubby and I were ready to jump off and run along side it until we got to the top.

Be prepared to go slow...they are not speedy by any means, but still fun and better than walking. Here is a photo of the line of cars behind us waiting to pass us



A word of advice. Do not go off the beaten path without knowing the name of the road you are on. We went to the other side of the island, wanted to tour a beach and turned on a side road. We parked to stretch and the golf cart wouldn't restart. And then it started to rain for a bit of added amusement. We don't know if we somehow flooded the engine or what when we had it in reverse, but after 5 minutes, some fooling around and pushing it back out onto the main road, it restarted and gave us no more trouble. Just make sure you know where you are.

To answer your question more concisely, I would get 2 carts. One with a 350 lb passenger with 3 others may be a bit too heavy to get much power.
__________________
**********
Carnival Breeze 2015
Carnival Glory 2012
Carnival Liberty 2011
Carnival Imagination 2002
Norwegian Sky 2000

Last edited by palmbaytish; April 6th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
crewsweeper's Avatar
crewsweeper crewsweeper is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tallahassee , FL
Posts: 9,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfuzzmo View Post
We haven't gone yet. We leave on the 15th of April (less than two weeks yay!). I'll let you know what happens.
hey mrsfuzzmo, when are you in GT? What ship? We're on the liberty and we're there on the 19th!
__________________
Carnival Inspiration, January 2006
Carnival Sensation, February 2007
Carnival Legend, May 2009
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
cruise_crazy68's Avatar
cruise_crazy68 cruise_crazy68 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfuzzmo View Post
We haven't gone yet. We leave on the 15th of April (less than two weeks yay!). I'll let you know what happens.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise!!! Please report back cant wait to hear how it went!!

Also how does one get in touch with Nathan to reserve a cart?
__________________


Sheila
Proud Army Mom!

DH-Lenard and DW-Sheila EST. since 1997 <3



Elation 08/29/04
Ecstasy 01/10/05
Conquest 11/4/07
Conquest 01/06/08
Conquest 05/02/10
Triumph 05/07/12
Magic 12/2/12
Imagination 10/14/13
Liberty B2B 10/19/2013
Liberty B2B 10/26/2013
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:28 PM
cruise_crazy68's Avatar
cruise_crazy68 cruise_crazy68 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbaytish View Post
We were just on Grand Turk on 3/30 and we rented from Nathan. There were 4 average size adults and a 75 lb child. We all fit, but let me tell you, right after you leave Nathans, there is this ever so slight "hill" you go up and we didn't think our cart would make it up the hill. Hubby and I were ready to jump off and run along side it until we got to the top.

Be prepared to go slow...they are not speedy by any means, but still fun and better than walking. Here is a photo of the line of cars behind us waiting to pass us



A word of advice. Do not go off the beaten path without knowing the name of the road you are on. We went to the other side of the island, wanted to tour a beach and turned on a side road. We parked to stretch and the golf cart wouldn't restart. And then it started to rain for a bit of added amusement. We don't know if we somehow flooded the engine or what when we had it in reverse, but after 5 minutes, some fooling around and pushing it back out onto the main road, it restarted and gave us no more trouble. Just make sure you know where you are.

To answer your question more concisely, I would get 2 carts. One with a 350 lb passenger with 3 others may be a bit too heavy to get much power.

This is hysterical. We did this in a couple of places over the years it is funny to watch people faces as they wait patiently to try and pass you. Please tell me how did you cantact Nathan and how much was the rental and for how long?
__________________


Sheila
Proud Army Mom!

DH-Lenard and DW-Sheila EST. since 1997 <3



Elation 08/29/04
Ecstasy 01/10/05
Conquest 11/4/07
Conquest 01/06/08
Conquest 05/02/10
Triumph 05/07/12
Magic 12/2/12
Imagination 10/14/13
Liberty B2B 10/19/2013
Liberty B2B 10/26/2013
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:56 AM
crewsweeper's Avatar
crewsweeper crewsweeper is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tallahassee , FL
Posts: 9,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbaytish View Post


A word of advice. Do not go off the beaten path without knowing the name of the road you are on. We went to the other side of the island, wanted to tour a beach and turned on a side road. We parked to stretch and the golf cart wouldn't restart. And then it started to rain for a bit of added amusement. We don't know if we somehow flooded the engine or what when we had it in reverse, but after 5 minutes, some fooling around and pushing it back out onto the main road, it restarted and gave us no more trouble. Just make sure you know where you are.

To answer your question more concisely, I would get 2 carts. One with a 350 lb passenger with 3 others may be a bit too heavy to get much power.
We had 3 on our cart. DW and myself and a friend of DW's she met ont he ship who was, shall we say, a Biggest Loser candidate if ever there was one. Cart still had plenty of power though but it was rough bouncing over those roads. Beaches on east/northeast side coming back from the lighthouse are not conducive to snorkeling and have a lot of trash and seaweed washed up on shore.
__________________
Carnival Inspiration, January 2006
Carnival Sensation, February 2007
Carnival Legend, May 2009
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:56 PM
mrsfuzzmo's Avatar
mrsfuzzmo mrsfuzzmo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,649
Default

We did not end up renting a golf cart because Nathan never got back to us, so we took our money elsewhere. Had a great day at the Beach and Island Village.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
jms2362's Avatar
jms2362 jms2362 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_crazy68 View Post
This is hysterical. We did this in a couple of places over the years it is funny to watch people faces as they wait patiently to try and pass you. Please tell me how did you cantact Nathan and how much was the rental and for how long?
nathanandlinda@tciway.tc we just got a reply yesterday it is $80 for the day, we rented from him a couple of years ago and had fun.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.