Same Currancy in all of Polynesia?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:12 PM.
#1
Eastern Canada
255 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
We are going on a cruise on the "Ocean Princess" from Tahiti to Sydney and was wondering if all the islands we will visit require the French Franc
or is there other currancies as well.
#2
Sydney, Australia
1,644 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by edenrayne
We are going on a cruise on the "Ocean Princess" from Tahiti to Sydney and was wondering if all the islands we will visit require the French Franc
or is there other currancies as well.
We did Sydney - Tahiti and return and used a mix of French Pacific Francs (easy to get and change back here in Australia) and US$. Our cruise also inclulded New Caledonia and the Pacific Francs were also used there. American Samoa uses US$ and this currency is also accepted in Western Samoa (Apia) and Tonga (Nukualofa) in most tourist ahops and for tours etc. In French Polynesia you will find that US$ will be accepted in tourist areas except for local service shops but your change is likely to be in Pacific Francs. Take a list of currency exchange rates to check on the spot exchanges you are offered in shops and markets.

Colleen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Colleen and Harry

Past Cruises
Princess (Pacific, Sun and Dawn) to Pacific, Fiji and New Guinea.
Statendam and Sun Princess to New Zealand.
P&O to Fiji.
Oosterdam - Solar Eclipse Cruise 2012.
#3
Eastern Canada
255 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Thank you so much for you reply. We will be in Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora,
Pago Pago, Apia and Tonga. Could not find anything on the other islands
about the money you need to use, only in Tahiti was there any talk about currancy. We will just be getting a few things like water, etc. in Tahiti and
likely only souveniers on the other islands. So I guess $US will be o.k. Or do you suggest some French franc as well?
#4
Sydney, Australia
1,644 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by edenrayne
Thank you so much for you reply. We will be in Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora,
Pago Pago, Apia and Tonga. Could not find anything on the other islands
about the money you need to use, only in Tahiti was there any talk about currancy. We will just be getting a few things like water, etc. in Tahiti and
likely only souveniers on the other islands. So I guess $US will be o.k. Or do you suggest some French franc as well?
From your description of your plans you should be OK with US$ unless you are planning to buy local tours off the wharf on shore. I found a thread that covers this question in more detail using Google not the CC search facility.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/sho....php?t=1418524

Enjoy your cruise and do get in some snorkeling if you enjoy swimming.

Colleen
#5
Eastern Canada
255 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Hello again Colleen,
We will be doing ships tours, so no problem there.
We will be in Tahit for one whole day before our cruise
and will be buying food at local eateries/cafes like Bip Bip, etc.
Any one know if they will take US$? Thanks again for your help.
#6
Washington State, USA
1,754 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by edenrayne
Hello again Colleen,
We will be doing ships tours, so no problem there.
We will be in Tahit for one whole day before our cruise
and will be buying food at local eateries/cafes like Bip Bip, etc.
Any one know if they will take US$? Thanks again for your help.
Edenrayne, yes, they probably will accept USD in Papeete. We were there in 2010 and 2011 and worried terribly about matters such as this, and then just about everybody took USD.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature