Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > South America
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
vagabondbug vagabondbug is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California
Posts: 25
Default Iguazu Falls tour info from B. Aires

Arriving in B.Aires on a cruise in early Jan, 2013, and would like to consider taking a tour to Iguazu falls. Would appreciate any tour info/options on it. I do NOT have any time restraints, and would like an economical tour if possible.

Thanx
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Talisker92 Talisker92 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Santa Paula CA
Posts: 2,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondbug View Post
Arriving in B.Aires on a cruise in early Jan, 2013, and would like to consider taking a tour to Iguazu falls. Would appreciate any tour info/options on it. I do NOT have any time restraints, and would like an economical tour if possible.

Thanx
Try this company http://patagoniashorex.com/buenos_iguazu.html . Remember, you must have a Brazilian visa to go on this trip. I think it costs about $100
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Travel'nAl's Avatar
Travel'nAl Travel'nAl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGOCH View Post
Try this company http://patagoniashorex.com/buenos_iguazu.html . Remember, you must have a Brazilian visa to go on this trip. I think it costs about $100
We were on a HAL precruise tour this past Feb. from BA. The tour did not visit the Brazillian side so visas were not needed.

We felt we saw plenty on the Agentinian side and did not feel we were missing anything.
__________________


Island Princess - Alaska, 6/05
Coral Princess - Panama Canal Full Transit, 4/07
Crown Princess - Baltic, 7/08
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera, 03/09
Crown Princess - Mediterranean, 6/10
Island Princess - Alaska, 8/11 (B2B)
Island Princess - Alaska, 8/11 (B2B)
Veendam - South America. 1/12
Seven Seas Mariner - Eastern Med., 7/12 (B2B)
Seven Seas Mariner - Eastern Med., 7/12 (B2B)
Pacific Princess - Mediterranean, 11/12
M/S Rossia - Moscow to St. Petersburg, 5/13
Seven Seas Navigator - Western Caribbean, 11/13 (B2B)
Seven Seas Navigator - Eastern Caribbean, 11/13 (B2B)
M/S Amadeus Royal, Danube River, 5/14
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
cboyle's Avatar
cboyle cboyle is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 872
Default

I highly recommend Defrantur (www.defrantur.com) for any tours you might want in Argentina. Please see my review of our precruise tour to Iguazu Falls at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=80603

We did tour both sides of the falls and you WILL need a Brazilian visa to visit the Brazilian side.
__________________
Carolyn

At sea for 541 days with Princess (487), Royal Caribbean (19), Holland America (14), Costa (7), Celebrity (7) and Commodore (7)
Last Cruise:Ruby Princess "Canada/New England: Quebec City - NYC" 10/02/14
Next Cruise:Ocean Princess "Asia/Africa: Singapore - Cape Town" 04/03/15
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:31 AM
CACruzrs CACruzrs is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 126
Default

If you've ever done DIY excursions, Iguassu Falls is an easy excursion to do on your own. We recently flew from Rio de Janeiro to Foz do Iguacu on the Brazil side of the Falls. We stayed 2 nights at a hotel in Foz do Iguacu. We booked the airline tickets and hotels online and found local transportation to be readily available. Everything on both sides of the Falls is well mapped, marked, and self-explanatory. You don't need a guide unless you want to speed up the process of going back and forth across the border. You should plan on spending at least a half day on the Brazil side and a full day on the Argentina side. The Brazil side has double deck buses to shuttle you between overlooks where you cans see most of the Falls with minimal walking. On the Argentina side, a narrow gauge railway takes you from the visitor's center to 2 or 3 different stations along the Falls, but there's a still a lot of walking involved to get out to Devil's Throat and along the Upper and Lower Circuit trails. It's one of nature's most beautiful places, and well worth the trip.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:50 AM
dr__dawggy's Avatar
dr__dawggy dr__dawggy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: abilene, texas
Posts: 632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondbug View Post
Arriving in B.Aires on a cruise in early Jan, 2013, and would like to consider taking a tour to Iguazu falls. Would appreciate any tour info/options on it. I do NOT have any time restraints, and would like an economical tour if possible.

Thanx

If you want to economize, it is very easy to do this tour yourself. All you really need to do yourself is arrange flights, a hotel in Iguazu and ground transportation. No guides are necessary inside the park. The trails are well marked.

Book a flight on LAN http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_personas/index.html a thought about flights: If you have never spent any time in Buenos Aires, it is an amazing city. Plan to spend some time here either on your way to or back from Iguazu if at all possible.


Book the Sheraton Iguazu, preferably for two nights. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1152

The Sheraton is the only hotel inside the national park on the Argentina side of the border. As such, it is pricey. I usually stay there to maximize the time I have available but there are other options in town that are less expensive.

Ground transportation is easy enough to arrange in advance or on site.


If you do not find the information you need re: hotels in BA, ground transportation or other details just post questions here.
__________________
[color="Navy"]May 2009 Coral Princess Alaska.December 2009 NCL Pride of America Hawaii.January 2011 NCL Norwegian Jade Eastern Mediterranean.May 2011 Golden Princess Inside Passage.November 2011 Coral Princess Panama Canal.February 2012. Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean.March 2012 Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean.April 2012 Caribbean Princess Trans Atlantic.November 2012 Crown Princess Greek Isles.April 2013 Crown Princess Trans Atlantic.June 2013 Caribbean Princess Norwegian Coast.June 2013 Caribbean Princess British Isles[b]March 2014 Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Golden Princess January 2015 Cape Horn [COLOR]
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Orlando Vic's Avatar
Orlando Vic Orlando Vic is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr__dawggy View Post
If you want to economize, it is very easy to do this tour yourself. All you really need to do yourself is arrange flights, a hotel in Iguazu and ground transportation. No guides are necessary inside the park. The trails are well marked.

Book a flight on LAN http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_personas/index.html a thought about flights: If you have never spent any time in Buenos Aires, it is an amazing city. Plan to spend some time here either on your way to or back from Iguazu if at all possible.


Book the Sheraton Iguazu, preferably for two nights. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1152

The Sheraton is the only hotel inside the national park on the Argentina side of the border. As such, it is pricey. I usually stay there to maximize the time I have available but there are other options in town that are less expensive.

Ground transportation is easy enough to arrange in advance or on site.


If you do not find the information you need re: hotels in BA, ground transportation or other details just post questions here.
Agree, agree, agree. While the Sheraton is more expensive than hotels in Puerto Iguazu, you are right there, inside the National Park. That is a big time saver. Also, many people recommend falls-view rooms. We did this, but would not do it again and would select a cheaper jungle-view room instead. The reason is that you are hardly in your room enough to enjoy the view. In the morning, when you have breakfast downstairs in the restaurant, you have large windows with which to see the falls, especially Devil's Throat.
__________________
Vic's travels: http://my.flightmemory.com/vogilvie
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
sandyss's Avatar
sandyss sandyss is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,376
Default

We did the same thing in January of this year. We arranged everything ourselves. We're in our early 70s.

We arranged our international air so that we returned home from Foz do Iguassu on the Brazilian side of the falls, and didn't even need to return to Buenos Aires where a trip between airports is required. We only needed to purchase a one-way ticket on LAN to the Argentinian side of the falls. We stayed at a B&B in Puerto Iguazu (around 1/3 the cost of the Sheraton). The proprietor of the B&B arranged for drivers to take us wherever we wanted to go (at a very reasonable cost) - across the border to the Brazilian side of the falls, to the Argentinian falls, to dinner, etc. We also took the local bus one day to the Argentinian side of the falls. As others have said, the trails are well marked, and we preferred going at our own pace. We stopped at the Sheraton for a drink one day and for lunch on another day - with great views from their air conditioned restaurant.

Seeing the falls from the Brazilian side was a highlight for us. We did need to get the Brazilian visas ahead - at a cost of ~ $140 per person. It was worth it to us for that magnificent view.

Spend at least 3 nights at the falls in order to see everything.

Also, be aware that LAN changes their flight times frequently. This happened to us and several other members of our cc roll call. Ours was changed around 3 times, since we booked very early. At one point, they changed us to an early morning flight, which we wouldn't have been able to make. There was no problem in changing to a better time by calling LAN - no change penalty charged since they had changed the flight time.
__________________
Sandy
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:23 PM
HDS HDS is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 400
Default Start Early!

Absolutely agree with the above posters about stretching the budget to stay at the Sheraton. Breakfast early and be waiting at the trail entrance when the ranger opens the gate at 8am. That way we could avoid the worst of the heat and humidity and the huge crowds that bus into the park later in the morning and stay till mid afternoon.
By late morning we were ready to seek refuge in the air-con of the Sheraton to re-emerge refreshed later in the day. We didn't find the other food options in the park appealing.
For us booking the Sheraton on-line was much cheaper and more flexible, allowing cancellation until 24 hours before check-in. We invested our money in this rather than paying for visas to Brazil.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:43 PM
mare s. mare s. is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,073
Default

sandyss....you said you returned from Foz do Iguacu to the States. Did you have to take a flight to Sao Paulo? How was that connection?
__________________
HAL, Princess, and Celebrity
But our favorite is Azamara
Upcoming: Azamara Quest Islands of the Med September 2015
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
sandyss's Avatar
sandyss sandyss is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mare s. View Post
sandyss....you said you returned from Foz do Iguacu to the States. Did you have to take a flight to Sao Paulo? How was that connection?
Our flight home went through Sao Paulo. We had two stops, Sao Paulo and Dallas before arriving in San Francisco. Going through Sao Paulo was so much easier than the trip between airports in Buenos Aires. Of course we needed to get the Brazil visas, which we wanted to get anyway.
__________________
Sandy
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM
mare s. mare s. is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,073
Default

Sandyss, from your response, I gather that Sao Paolo has only one airport (not a separate domestic airport as in B.A.) and you took a regional flight (which airline?) from Foz Do Iguacu to Sao Paolo and then an international flight from Sao Paolo to S.F.? Were the connection times manageable? Did you arrange air yourselves or through a travel agent? This arrangement sounds like a very good option for us as we will already have a Brazilian visa (our cruise departs from Rio) and we will have had a couple of days in B.A. before visiting the Falls, so no reason to go back to B.A. and have to spend an overnight there. Did you stay at the Secret Garden? We have reservations there for our trip.
Thanks.
__________________
HAL, Princess, and Celebrity
But our favorite is Azamara
Upcoming: Azamara Quest Islands of the Med September 2015
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM
sandyss's Avatar
sandyss sandyss is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mare s. View Post
Sandyss, from your response, I gather that Sao Paolo has only one airport (not a separate domestic airport as in B.A.) and you took a regional flight (which airline?) from Foz Do Iguacu to Sao Paolo and then an international flight from Sao Paolo to S.F.? Were the connection times manageable? Did you arrange air yourselves or through a travel agent? This arrangement sounds like a very good option for us as we will already have a Brazilian visa (our cruise departs from Rio) and we will have had a couple of days in B.A. before visiting the Falls, so no reason to go back to B.A. and have to spend an overnight there. Did you stay at the Secret Garden? We have reservations there for our trip.
Thanks.
It sounds like you are doing the same thing as us. We did stay at Secret Garden, which was a lovely B&B. John arranged all of our transfers for us, including to the Brazilian side of the falls and to the airport in Brazil.

Yes, there is only one airport in Sao Paulo - much easier than going back to Buenos Aires and traveling through traffic between airports.

We booked our air using FF miles through American Airlines. We did the leg from Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu on our own, since American wanted to fly us through Sao Paulo to get us to Iguazu, which didn't make sense to us. The nonstop on LAN worked out much better. American used GOL Airlines for the Foz do Iguassu to Sao Paulo leg. We did have a very long layover in Sao Paulo, since our flight to Dallas didn't leave until close to midnight.

Have a great trip.
__________________
Sandy
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Artemis's Avatar
Artemis Artemis is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,428
Default

Just to prevent any confusion, there are two airports in Sao Paulo: GRU Guarulhos--this is the international airport; it also handles domestic flights. It is located outside of city center to the NE. Then there is a smaller domestic airport CGH Congonhas. It is located on the east midline of the city. There is service from Foz do Iguacu (the airport on the Brazilian side, code IGU vs. the airport on the Argentine side, code IGR) to both Sao Paulo airports, and I think Gol actually serves both! So just pay close attention to be sure you are booking exactly what you want. Also, to further complicate matters, Gol is in the process of acquiring WebJet, so your service may end up being supplied by them.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Up Next: The seas await
Just Off: QM2 NYC-Southampton-Hamburg - July/Aug 2014
Happy Memories: Royal Caribbean (12) Princess (5) Celebrity (4) Carnival (3) NCL (3) Cunard (2) HAL (1), plus unique voyages (3) on the Pacific Sunrise in the Whitsunday Islands, a Turkish blue cruise in the Mediterranean & Abercrombie & Kent’s Sun Boat IV on the Nile

Last edited by Artemis; April 25th, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:49 AM
sandyss's Avatar
sandyss sandyss is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just to prevent any confusion, there are two airports in Sao Paulo: GRU Guarulhos--this is the international airport; it also handles domestic flights. It is located outside of city center to the NE. Then there is a smaller domestic airport CGH Congonhas. It is located on the east midline of the city. There is service from Foz do Iguacu (the airport on the Brazilian side, code IGU vs. the airport on the Argentine side, code IGR) to both Sao Paulo airports, and I think Gol actually serves both! So just pay close attention to be sure you are booking exactly what you want. Also, to further complicate matters, Gol is in the process of acquiring WebJet, so your service may end up being supplied by them.
We flew into and then out of GRU.
__________________
Sandy
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
cruiseluv cruiseluv is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,463
Default

Thank you for this very informative thread.

I just went to the LAN website and for our dates in late January, the R/T from BA to Iguazu is $428 PP! To those that have done this, is this about what you paid? Do you recall if you bought your plane ticket this early? I'm wondering if its better to wait and see if prices drop.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM
HDS HDS is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 400
Default

Cruiseluv,

It's about what we paid for our return flight when we visited Iguazu February 2012. I made the bookings on-line with LAN in October 2011. Didn't want to delay booking as the destination and flights are very popular.
It was still school holidays in parts of South America.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM
sandyss's Avatar
sandyss sandyss is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseluv View Post
Thank you for this very informative thread.

I just went to the LAN website and for our dates in late January, the R/T from BA to Iguazu is $428 PP! To those that have done this, is this about what you paid? Do you recall if you bought your plane ticket this early? I'm wondering if its better to wait and see if prices drop.
We paid for a one-way ticket $191 per person. That included taxes. We purchased our tickets in March 2011 for a January 2012 flight. Every time that I checked their website for time changes, the price was increasingly higher than what we had paid.
__________________
Sandy
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:50 PM
cruiseluv cruiseluv is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,463
Default

Thank you HDS and Sandyss for that info. I'm afraid I'll have to bite the bullet!
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:12 PM
ShopperfiendTO ShopperfiendTO is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 375
Default

cruiseluv,

That is less than the price we paid and we noticed the price only got higher (especially the more convenient times) closer to (within a month) the departure date.

I would book it because the pricing for non-Argentineans is fairly rigid and I don't think I've ever seen this route go on sale (at least for non-Argentineans).

The price for non-Argentineans is higher than for Argentineans but the tickets are pretty flexible.

Be careful to check your itinerary regularly because they are notorious for doing this, and even within a couple days of the departure.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.