Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default John Heald's feelings toward TG/CD???

Some of you may know that the Carnival brand ambassador is John Heald. I'm a little ticked today due to a joke he made in one of his facebook postings that seems to be a cut at the GLBT community. He insinuated that transgender/CD is inherently wrong and a crime. Sad that a line which makes a point of having a scheduled GLBT meeting allow someone who represents them to be so insensitive...*sigh* So tired of the intolerance.

In reference to his wife trying to let his MIL sit in his favorite chair:

"...What………no, no, no sodding no……that is one of the most important man rules…….. nobody sits in the chair but you! Having rumpy pumpy with another man’s wife is unacceptable, as is calling yourself Lucinda when you quite clearly have an Adams apple and a gentleman,s sausage but sitting in my chair is a far worse crime."

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

I dont see your point . I see nothing wrong with what he said . but thats just me . john has a very warped sence of humor.
Carnival Liberty Feb 28th -March 7th 2009 1A M-2217
Carnival Elation Nov 6th -Nov 11th 2010 1A R-58
Carnival Elation may 7th -May14th 2011 1A R-58
Carnival Glory Feb 5th -FEB 12th 2012 4b R-1298
Carnival Glory Dec 2nd-Dec 9th 2012 4b r- 1368
Costa Fascinosa April 7th -April 14th 2013 Rm 7439
Carnival Elation Aug 29t -Sept 2nd 2013 Rm IS qty.R141
Carnival Liberty Oct.5th - Oct 12th 2013 Rm 6254 Platinum
Carnival Elation Oct.18th -Oct.23 2014 Rm M29 prt hole
Carnival Sunshine feb.7th -15th Rm

Old April 24th, 2012, 08:29 AM
10,000+ Club

He's a pig. He plays to a very base crowd who probably find the humor on most cartoons to be sophisticated.
Past Cruises: RCL (Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty (x2), Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Brilliance, Enchantment (x2), Majesty (x2), Sovereign), Celebrity (Constellation, Century, Solstice(x2), Eclipse), HAL (Westerdam), NCL (Sky, Star), Princess (Sapphire Princess, Ocean Princess), Carnival (Dream)

Upcoming: Celebrity Reflection - November 2013 * Quantum of the Seas - January 2015

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3a View Post
Some of you may know that the Carnival brand ambassador is John Heald. I'm a little ticked today due to a joke he made in one of his facebook postings that seems to be a cut at the GLBT community. He insinuated that transgender/CD is inherently wrong and a crime. Sad that a line which makes a point of having a scheduled GLBT meeting allow someone who represents them to be so insensitive...*sigh* So tired of the intolerance.

In reference to his wife trying to let his MIL sit in his favorite chair:

"...What………no, no, no sodding no……that is one of the most important man rules…….. nobody sits in the chair but you! Having rumpy pumpy with another man’s wife is unacceptable, as is calling yourself Lucinda when you quite clearly have an Adams apple and a gentleman,s sausage but sitting in my chair is a far worse crime."
Stupid comment IMHO but I think you have to read "crime" in context here.

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM
5,000+ Club

I don't find his comments offensive. Stupid? Yes. Playing to a very low common denominator? You bet. But not offensive. But then again, its pretty darn hard to offend me. Its about intent, not the words themselves.
Nordic Prince (7 night Bermuda)-1990
Norwegian Sea (7 night Western Caribbean)-2004
Celebration (5 night Bahamas)-2005
Norwegian Majesty (7 night Western Caribbean)-2006
Mariner of The Seas (7 night Eastern Caribbean)- Sep. 2007
Norwegian Star (8 night Mexican Riviera)-April 2008
Carnival Glory (7 night Western Caribbean)-November 2008
Celebrity Constellation (11 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)- April 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 night Alaska)- August 2009
Celebrity Mercury (11 night Eastern Caribbean)-March 2010
Celebrity Constellation (14 night Southern Caribbean)-March 2011
Celebrity Silhouette (12 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)-March 2012
Freedom of The Seas (14 Night Back-To-Back Western/Eastern Caribbean)-April 2013

Carnival Fantasy (7 Night Eastern Caribbean)-August 2014
Celebrity Silhouette (7 Night Western Caribbean)-March 2015

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default jokes

I don't know who this guy is, but I'm a bald, fat (used to be in great shape) gay comedian who is half crippled from 8 bad discs. I make jokes about everything. Yes, I'm careful not to insult people when doing comedy in front of an audience, but part of comedy is laughing at and finding humor in things that others may see as an issue. Part of it is to take the issue and make it a non issue. I remember once doing a show in NYC I was leaving the green room after a show and waiting for someone who was in the restroom, they shared a hallway. I had a bit about Sally Struthers being perfect for Richard Simmons as one of his lackeys because she's in need of work, she's fat and she cries (at the time she was doing "save the children" commercials). A morbidly obese woman looked at me like she wanted to kill me. Nevermind that I did bald jokes, jokes about being the only white guy in the Bronx, etc... I was the bad guy in her eyes for telling a joke about Sally effing Struthers because she was obese.
So everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't know this guy and how he comes across to people, but I do know that most comedians just want to see or make someone smile and bring a little happiness into the world. If he is hateful of people to be hateful, that's another issue. I have noticed that in this day and age people tend to get insulted by everything. IMO the world is too politically correct and people need to take to heart what my mom taught me at an early age... sticks and stones etc...
NCL Getaway 4/12/14-4/19/14 Our First Getaway and 4th NCL Cruise. Third with our oldest friends from our first cruise!

Old April 25th, 2012, 03:40 PM
10,000+ Club

Fair enough but this guy isn't a comedian. He's a cruise director and one of the chief ambassador's of their line.

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Look at his target audience. You're speaking about a Carnival CD. The guy is scum. Nuff said.

Old April 25th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default not my type of humor!

His jokes are about farts and poop and those jokes appeal to most of the demographic of Carnival.
I have to admit, I laugh too but look for more from my CD.
1999: Galaxy. Panama Canal.
2002: Summit. Alaska.
2002: Infinity. Panama Canal.
2003: Infinity. Hawaii.
2003: Caronia. Baltics.
2003: Seven Seas Voyager. Caribbean.
2004 (April): Diamond Princess. Mexican Riviera.
2004 (November): Diamond Princess. Mexican Riviera.
2005:Horizon, Caribbean.
2007: Caribbean Princess. Caribbean.
2007: Diamond Princess. Mexican Riviera.
2008: Monarch of the Seas. Baja Mexico.
2008: Serenade of the Seas. Mexican Riviera.
2009: Norwegian Star. Mexican Riviera.
2009: Westerdam. Alaska.
2009: Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera.
2010: Celebrity Solstice, Caribbean for 7 nights.
2010: Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera.
2010: Norwegian Epic, Caribbean.
2011: Allure of the Seas, Caribbean.
2011: Nieuw Amsterdam, Caribbean.
2011: Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez.
2011: Oosterdam, Alaska.
2011: Carnival Splendor, Mexican Riviera.
2011: Zaandam, Mexican Riviera.
2011: Carnival Paradise, Baja Mexico.
2011: Celebrity Eclipse, Caribbean.
2012: Nieuw Amsterdam, Caribbean.
2012: Oosterdam, Mexican Riviera.
2012: Zuiderdam, Alaska.
2012: Queen Mary 2, New England/Canada.
2012: Queen Mary 2, W/B TransAtlantic.
2012: Celebrity Infinity, Panama Canal.
2012: Independence of the Seas, W/B Transatlantic.
2013: Volendam, S. E. Asia.
2013: Celebrity Century, Hawaii.
2013: Rhapsody of the Seas, Alaska.
2013: Serenade of the Seas, Mediterranean.
2013: Carnival Miracle, Hawai.
2013: Celebrity Infinity, Transatlantic.
2013: Celebrity Reflection, E. Caribbean.
2013: Norwegian Star, Panama Canal.
2014: Queen Elizabeth, World Cruise.
2014: Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic.
2014: Zuiderdam, Alaska.
2014: Celebrity Solstice, Alaska.

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
His jokes are about farts and poop and those jokes appeal to most of the demographic of Carnival.
I have to admit, I laugh too but look for more from my CD.
I see. As a cruise director, he should be tailoring what he says to not offend his potential customers, at least when he's posting stuff that gets into cruise related sites. That's different than standing up for the right to tell a good joke, which is really all I was saying. I did a few minutes at the meet n greet on the cruise we just finished, and knowing there would be children, I had to tone down the act a bit, get rid of all the curse words. A couple of the jokes were not as funny but that's what it takes sometimes. You have to keep your audience in mind. Offending someone in a comedy club, at least to me, is reasonably acceptable as long as you aren't attacking someone or something with malice. Sounds like this gentleman either has no filter or a faulty one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NCL Getaway 4/12/14-4/19/14 Our First Getaway and 4th NCL Cruise. Third with our oldest friends from our first cruise!

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's really about the callous disregard for anyone's lifestyle that deviates from the norm, particularly from a public figure who represents a company that *attempts* to cater to said demographic.

I doubt the majority would be ok with him making jokes about jews, the mentally disabled, or any other "acceptable" minority, but it remains ok to show disdain for members of the GLBT community, in jest or otherwise.

The ridiculous term "that's gay!" is still very popular in much of society. I wish people would think before they speak is all, especially when they speak for a living.

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinAlexander View Post
I don't know who this guy is, but I'm a bald, fat (used to be in great shape) gay comedian who is half crippled from 8 bad discs. I make jokes about everything. Yes, I'm careful not to insult people when doing comedy in front of an audience, but part of comedy is laughing at and finding humor in things that others may see as an issue. Part of it is to take the issue and make it a non issue. I remember once doing a show in NYC I was leaving the green room after a show and waiting for someone who was in the restroom, they shared a hallway. I had a bit about Sally Struthers being perfect for Richard Simmons as one of his lackeys because she's in need of work, she's fat and she cries (at the time she was doing "save the children" commercials). A morbidly obese woman looked at me like she wanted to kill me. Nevermind that I did bald jokes, jokes about being the only white guy in the Bronx, etc... I was the bad guy in her eyes for telling a joke about Sally effing Struthers because she was obese.
So everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't know this guy and how he comes across to people, but I do know that most comedians just want to see or make someone smile and bring a little happiness into the world. If he is hateful of people to be hateful, that's another issue. I have noticed that in this day and age people tend to get insulted by everything. IMO the world is too politically correct and people need to take to heart what my mom taught me at an early age... sticks and stones etc...
I would say most comedians just want to get a laugh, if they're making fun of people to do so, they're not really trying to bring "happiness" to the world, clearly the obese woman was not happy, eh? Entertainers are outgoing, they like attention, it's not really a "labor of love" is it? No offense, but, don't you like the attention more than anything?

That's all well and good, but have you ever had sticks and stones thrown at you because of who you choose to be with? Have you ever been asked to leave a public swimming pool for putting your arms around your partner? IMO this isn't about PC, it's not just people making jokes, people get killed, ostracized, lose jobs and family because of their lifestyle.

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anyone who reads his blog knows that the only people he truly dislikes are the French. My partner and I had the pleasure of meeting John before and I read his blog occasionally (I like the cartoons). He even had sparkling wine and an Anniversary cake sent to our cabin when he found out were were celebrating 20 years together.

I don't know why he wrote the statement in the op's post. I don't think he meant it as hateful, but an off attempt at humor. Hell, he makes many comments about poor straight Calvyn breathing heavy at George Clooney movies and having an effiminate underwear drawer. Should straight people be up in arms over those statements? Below is the full excerpt from John's statment. I'll go back to my cartoons now.

"Good evening from the UK where the Heald family have had a day of rest and fun.

Kye and I had some quality time today at the lark as she went down the slide 32675 times followed by 2 ice crewms from a pace called Rossi on Southend Seafront, argubaly the best ice cream in the world and so much better then Hagen Arse and Baskin Bastards. Oh, it was 2 ice creams because aye dropped hers moments afte...r I had paid for it and the only way to stop the hysterical tears was to buy another.

Anyway, I was looking forward to an afternoon by the TV watching the Formula One race from Bahrain and some sacccccccer but there was a major problem.

You see, I was horrified to discover that Heidi had moved my “man space”…….…the only bit I have in the whole house……. my chair.

This is the most important thing in the house as far as I am concerned. It was placed in the perfect position to give me the best view of the television, nothing was blocking the view and if anything ever did I would kick it out of the way. That’s the law. If something is blocking your view of the TV you must kick it out of the way. Wives, pets, mother in laws and small children …..none shall escape the Heald boot……this is not that feng shui bollocks….. this is man shui.

Anyway, Heidi had moved my chair because she wanted to rearrange the furniture a bit before her Mum arrives because after I leave for the Carnival Breeze her Mum is coming to stay for a week or twelve and likes to sit in my Lazy Boy chair!

What………no, no, no sodding no……that is one of the most important man rules…….. nobody sits in the chair but you! Having rumpy pumpy with another man’s wife is unacceptable, as is calling yourself Lucinda when you quite clearly have an Adams apple and a gentleman,s sausage but sitting in my chair is a far worse crime.

Heidi had also committed another crime. Not only had she suggested that her Mother would be sitting in my chair but she had decorated it with ………and some of you may want to look away or have a bucket standing by in which to collect the vomit…….Heidi had decorated MY chair with cushions……………yes………………..fluffy cream coloured scatter cushions. Oh FFS!

This is my chair and I cannot sit there and deliver sermons and opinions on things I know bugger all about (bit like some who post here and on the cruise boards) from a sea of cushions….…..my chair looks as manly and butch as Calvyn's underwear drawer."
9/8/2013 CARNIVAL MAGIC (12002 spa balcony port side forward)
9/16/2012 CARNIVAL MAGIC (8475 balcony aft)
1/29/2012 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas (7388 balcony aft)
9/11/2011 Carnival Conquest (8358 interior port side)
1/15/2011 Carnival Triumph (7429 balcony aft)
1/31/2010 Carnival Conquest (8348 balcony port side)
5/31/2009 Carnival Conquest (6485 balcony aft)
3/1/2009 Carnival Conquest (6485 balcony aft)
1/27/2008 Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
2/4/2007 Carnival Conquest (7448 Balcony aft)
2/?/2006 Princess Grand (?)
9/10/2005 Carnival Elation (U121 oceanview)
1/29/2005 Carnival Ecstasy (U83 Grand Suite)
1/31/2004 Norwegian Sea (6201 Owner's Suite)
1/18/2003 Carnival Celebration (E66 oceanview)
5/11/2002 Carnival Holiday (U97 oceanview)
2/2/2002 Carnival Celebration (E205 interior)
11/13/2000 Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas (Nordic Empress) My cruise addiction begins.

Old April 27th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Gee, another reason I'm not sorry I don't cruise Carnival...

Feh!
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Then I guess this means that dear John will NOT be on the Splendor when Atlantis has their Halloween cruise this year. Also I hear he doesn't like Europop music either.

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepp View Post
Gee, another reason I'm not sorry I don't cruise Carnival...

Feh!
Being in Costa Maya several years back we had our ship(QM2)a Celebrity ship & a Carnival ship. The Carnival people were half smashed, wearing really bad Hawaiian shirts. They all wound up at the shore side bar, wereas the rest of us went shopping & took in the sites of the area. Hotels still were not built. There was no local real permanant development. Everything was on "wheels". I'm sure it's changed in the 6 yearts since we were there last.

Old April 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

This thread is priceless.

The OP was offended by a disparaging comment made by John Heald.

Rest of the thread is disparaging comments about the people who would sail on Carnival.

Past Cruises
Caribbean Princess - 05/11 Caribbean & Bermuda
Carnival Spirit - 03/10 - Southern Mexico Rivera
Sapphire Princess - 01/10 - Mexican Rivera
RCL Mariner of the Seas - 07/09 - Mexican Rivera
Carnival Valor - 05/09 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Pride - 03/08 - Mexican Rivera

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamuus View Post
This thread is priceless.

The OP was offended by a disparaging comment made by John Heald.

Rest of the thread is disparaging comments about the people who would sail on Carnival.
I didn't say a thing about people that cruise on Carnival.

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguy22 View Post
Then I guess this means that dear John will NOT be on the Splendor when Atlantis has their Halloween cruise this year. Also I hear he doesn't like Europop music either.
You can count on that. At least you won't be subjected to his comments about his farts and hemorrhoids. Those are two of his favorite topics. Doesn't take much to amuse his fans.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

The comment that he made in the blog was to me funny becuase I have followed the blog and met John on several occassions. I met John with my ex on our fifth anniversiary cruise and he made it a point to send something to our cabin for us.

How many of you talking down about the people that cruise on Carnival have ever been on a Carnival cruise?

Carnival Conquest (2/2014) Cruising Friends cruise
Carnival Imagination (5/2013) Cruise to plan a cruise
Carnival Breeze (1/2013) Cruising friends cruise
Carnival Fascination (9/2012) Avoiding a nervous break down
Carnival Imagination (2/2012) 30th Birthday Cruise
Carnival Conquest (8/2011) Why not take another one
Carnival Victory (2/2011) Birthday cruise
Norwegian Sky (12/2010) The one that started the addiction