Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM
luvavacation luvavacation is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 108
Default Mom and teen, have done the popular stuff, what else?

Traveling with just my teen daughter in a few weeks. We have been to Grand Cayman before, and done the Stingrays, Turtle Farm, 7 Mile Beach, and Rum Point. Enjoyed it all for the most part, but this time my daughter would like to just walk around town, maybe find some mini-golf, just do stuff the locals do, not the touristy things.

Admittedly, I like this, certainly won't be as expensive as some of the excursions, but other than shopping by the port, is there anything else? For example, mini-golf? Or even an outdoor type mall, since from a teen girl's perspective, shopping in an island mall has to have better, different things, than the local mall! Perhaps a museum?

I would really love some ideas!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM
TurtleTagger's Avatar
TurtleTagger TurtleTagger is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 622
Default

Camana Bay is the new lifestyle centre with outdoor shopping, dinning and pedestrian promenades. Also has a viewing tower to see the surrounding. Taxi or bus will get you there. http://www.camanabay.com/


Mini-golf is available on Seven Mile Beach next door to Deckers restaurant on the in-land side of West Bay Rd. Nothing special, but available. Again, taxi or bus.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Stricklines Stricklines is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8
Default Review of Carnival Snuba excursion in Grand Cayman

I just wanted to let everyone know how great this excursion was. To start the tour guide meets you on the pier and then walks you about 5 minutes down the main road to the left to a bar and distillery named Hammerheads. This where you fill out your medical forms and have about a ten minute orientation that was very thorough for the time limit. You are then put into groups of four and assigned a dive guide. This makes for a very comforting environment knowing that your guide only has 4 people to watch. At this point you are outfitted with gear and walk down the ladder into waist deep water. Your guide will then assign you and one other person a raft with an air cylinder in it and hook all of your equipment up to it. once you feel good you start a 200 yard surface swim while holding on to your raft out to the point where you will start the dive. This is where the fun starts. Your guide, which they were all very friendly, will make sure you are ok breathing through your regulator and then ask everyone to go under and start the dive. The first thing you will swim over os the wreck of the Cali which is really interesting and is loaded with beautiful fish and then you will continue to a very large reef that is extremely beautiful. We saw alot of fish that looked like Dory from "Finding Nemo" .

The Dive itself lasted about thirty minutes and we were constantly moving in the water. This excursion was by far the coolest thing my wife and I have ever done while on a cruise and this was our 6th cruise. My wife and I were both pretty nervous when we got there but were very relaxed by the time the dive started.

Sorry for being so long winded but I enjoyed this excursion so much that I wanted everyone interested to understand exactly what went on.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM
luvavacation luvavacation is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 108
Default

Thank you, TurtleTagger! Camana Bay looks like a nice place to explore, and my daughter thought some of the shops sounded very intriguing. I assume there would be taxis there to take us back to the ship? It does look a bit long of a walk to the cruise ship dock.

I also found a historical museum downtown. I believe my family has walked by it in the past but never entered. Would it be worth an explore?

I shall look into the mini-golf, too, thanks for the information. If nothing else, we can say we played mini-gold in Grand Cayman!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
tlacabe's Avatar
tlacabe tlacabe is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 236
Default Snuba

My Husband, Son and I Snuba while in St. Thomas it was this best excursion we every had, not to mention the pictures was amazing. Thanks for the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricklines View Post
I just wanted to let everyone know how great this excursion was. To start the tour guide meets you on the pier and then walks you about 5 minutes down the main road to the left to a bar and distillery named Hammerheads. This where you fill out your medical forms and have about a ten minute orientation that was very thorough for the time limit. You are then put into groups of four and assigned a dive guide. This makes for a very comforting environment knowing that your guide only has 4 people to watch. At this point you are outfitted with gear and walk down the ladder into waist deep water. Your guide will then assign you and one other person a raft with an air cylinder in it and hook all of your equipment up to it. once you feel good you start a 200 yard surface swim while holding on to your raft out to the point where you will start the dive. This is where the fun starts. Your guide, which they were all very friendly, will make sure you are ok breathing through your regulator and then ask everyone to go under and start the dive. The first thing you will swim over os the wreck of the Cali which is really interesting and is loaded with beautiful fish and then you will continue to a very large reef that is extremely beautiful. We saw alot of fish that looked like Dory from "Finding Nemo" .

The Dive itself lasted about thirty minutes and we were constantly moving in the water. This excursion was by far the coolest thing my wife and I have ever done while on a cruise and this was our 6th cruise. My wife and I were both pretty nervous when we got there but were very relaxed by the time the dive started.

Sorry for being so long winded but I enjoyed this excursion so much that I wanted everyone interested to understand exactly what went on.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:18 AM
Stricklines Stricklines is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlacabe View Post
My Husband, Son and I Snuba while in St. Thomas it was this best excursion we every had, not to mention the pictures was amazing. Thanks for the post
That is the one thing that I am upset about. We did not take any pictures.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:19 PM
dzak dzak is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricklines View Post
I just wanted to let everyone know how great this excursion was. To start the tour guide meets you on the pier and then walks you about 5 minutes down the main road to the left to a bar and distillery named Hammerheads. This where you fill out your medical forms and have about a ten minute orientation that was very thorough for the time limit. You are then put into groups of four and assigned a dive guide. This makes for a very comforting environment knowing that your guide only has 4 people to watch. At this point you are outfitted with gear and walk down the ladder into waist deep water. Your guide will then assign you and one other person a raft with an air cylinder in it and hook all of your equipment up to it. once you feel good you start a 200 yard surface swim while holding on to your raft out to the point where you will start the dive. This is where the fun starts. Your guide, which they were all very friendly, will make sure you are ok breathing through your regulator and then ask everyone to go under and start the dive. The first thing you will swim over os the wreck of the Cali which is really interesting and is loaded with beautiful fish and then you will continue to a very large reef that is extremely beautiful. We saw alot of fish that looked like Dory from "Finding Nemo" .

The Dive itself lasted about thirty minutes and we were constantly moving in the water. This excursion was by far the coolest thing my wife and I have ever done while on a cruise and this was our 6th cruise. My wife and I were both pretty nervous when we got there but were very relaxed by the time the dive started.

Sorry for being so long winded but I enjoyed this excursion so much that I wanted everyone interested to understand exactly what went on.
Sorry but not familiar with Snuba. Do you need to be an experienced diver? What is the cost for something like this?
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Stricklines Stricklines is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8
Default

This was also my first experience diving. You do not have to be certified. I think it was about $80 per person
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
bertha's Avatar
bertha bertha is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 62
Default

I also found a historical museum downtown. I believe my family has walked by it in the past but never entered. Would it be worth an explore?

Hello, We went to the National Museum last week after snorkeling at Eden Rock (all within walking distance of pier). Museum is located in the old Courthouse/Jail. Displays are interesting and informative. Nice little gift shop. Worth a visit..IMHO. Good snorkeling at Eden Rock, too!
__________________
Gail

CCL Glory - E. Caribbean - Jan 05
HAL Maasdam - S. Caribbean - March 06
NCL Sun - W. Caribbean - March 07
RCL Voyager - E. Mediterrean - Nov 08
RCL Grandeur - E. Caribbean - Norfolk repo - April 09
X Summit - S. Caribbean - January 2010
Crown Princess - W. Caribbean - January 2011
HAL Veendam - Bermuda - Sep 2011
CCL Freedom - W. Caribbean - April 2012
CCL Glory - Bahamas - May 2013
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM
cb at sea cb at sea is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, va. USA
Posts: 63,372
Default

A guidebook will tell you about shopping, attractions, transportations, restaurants....libraries are free. It will be the best thing to ensure your good time, and cheaply!
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:37 PM
TurtleTagger's Avatar
TurtleTagger TurtleTagger is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
A guidebook will tell you about shopping, attractions, transportations, restaurants....libraries are free. It will be the best thing to ensure your good time, and cheaply!
Guide books can be useful for general overviews of a locale, but many times the information contained within is dated or recycled from a previous edition. Pick up a current Fodors, Frommers, etc... edition to the Cayman Islands and audit which recommended restaurants are no longer open or laugh at the traveler advice to have cash for your departure taxes (it is included in airfare and cruise fare).

The nice things about forums like this one, is that they are in the here and now and you can receive current and specific information by folks who actual did did/experienced the things they write about.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM
tlacabe's Avatar
tlacabe tlacabe is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzak View Post
Sorry but not familiar with Snuba. Do you need to be an experienced diver? What is the cost for something like this?
No experience needed. My husband had only snorkel one time before he SNUBA and love it.

It's a perfect mixture of SCUBA Diving and Snorkeling. Can't wait to do it again.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
ladiva's Avatar
ladiva ladiva is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Linden, AL
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertha View Post
I also found a historical museum downtown. I believe my family has walked by it in the past but never entered. Would it be worth an explore?

Hello, We went to the National Museum last week after snorkeling at Eden Rock (all within walking distance of pier). Museum is located in the old Courthouse/Jail. Displays are interesting and informative. Nice little gift shop. Worth a visit..IMHO. Good snorkeling at Eden Rock, too!

Thanks for the info--We are going to do an excursion through Carnival in the morning while at this particular port, but wanted to walk around and see the place when we're done with our excursion. I think I saw a picture of the museum on some website, maybe tripadvisor. Looks like something neat to do there.
__________________



Carnival Dream 09/21/2014
Carnival Conquest 09/16/2012
Carnival Fascination 07/01/10
Carnival Fantasy 01/10/09
Carnival Fantasy 09/22/07
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Sonnydjoe Sonnydjoe is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vegas
Posts: 74
Default snuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzak View Post
Sorry but not familiar with Snuba. Do you need to be an experienced diver? What is the cost for something like this?
we just did the discovery dive its like snuba but wayyyy batter cause your not attached to a raft. we had never been in the water before and did not have a certification or anything.

it was $75 and they did everything for us, picked us up, took us on a great dive, took pictures of us, stopped at rum cake factory and 7 mile beach it was great !!!

here is the link http://www.jjdivers.com Grand cayman Diving.

tell 'em sonny and sandy said hi
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.