Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Spain Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Spain Ports Barcelona, Ibiza, Mallorca, Seville

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfairers View Post
Great question - I have been on HOHOs in different cities and it is not always good for 24 hr. Hope you get an answer.
Yes, Barcelona Ho Ho is valid for at least 24 hours (Blue 'Bus Turistic' buses. 48 and 72 hour tickets also available

Previous cruises
Navigator of the Seas - Western Med - 06/08
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 10/09
Vision of the Seas - Baltic - 08/10
Adventure of the Seas - Portugal & Gibraltar - 10/11 Picture Review

Old August 8th, 2011, 03:15 AM
5,000+ Club

When we talk of the Red, Blue, Green and Orange lines of HOHO, it is the bus Touristic buses we are talking about.

Was just there in May.

125 days at sea so far:
Mexican Riviera, Carnival Jubilee, 1992

Southern Caribbean, Carnival Fascination, 1997

Mexican Riviera, Carnival Elation, 1999

Alaska & Denali, Dawn Princess, 2002

Ensenada & Catalina, Carnival Paradise, 2005

Western Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, 2007
Grand Mediterranean Inaugural, Carnival Dream, 2009
Grand Mediterranean 2nd sail, Carnival Magic, 2011
Hawaii, Sapphire Princess, 2012
Grand Mediterranean Inaugural , Carnival Breeze, 2012
Alaska, Diamond Princess, 2012
Transatlantic, Carnival Sunshine, 2013
Panama Canal, Carnival Legend, 2014

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:28 AM
10,000+ Club

I will be a contrarian and say, Do not use the HoHo bus" if your itinerary is as is posted by the OP. My reason is that the HoHo is actually quite expensive and you will waste quite a lot of time just waiting for the bus. This can be especially true at Sagrada Familia where you may find that you cannot even get on the next HoHo bus that appears because there are too many folks waiting in queue. We would suggest just using a combination of your feet and local transportation. For example, from the ship to the Ramblas you can walk (about 25 min), take the cruise line shuttle (overpriced but convenient), share a taxi (about 4 or 5 Euros per person) or even take the local bus (about 1 Euro) that stops right at the port. Once on the Ramblas you can explore the Ramblas and adjacent Gothic Quarter. To get to Sagrada Familia you can take the inexpensive Metro, local bus or walk (about 30 min). It is the same from going to Park Guell. HoHos are fine if you want to spend the day riding around a city (or if you have mobility issues) but it's not the way to go if you are simply looking to quickly get from point A to point B. Keep in mind that the HoHo bus will cost you at least 23 Euros ($35) per person and you can easily spend more then 20 min waiting for the next bus.

Hank

Old April 15th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default how was it ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieflyer View Post
Thanks for all the information and sharing from those who have been on the bus - I thought I must be particularly dim as it always seemed that the HOHO was the same as the Bus Turistic (thank you for pointing out that they are). We will be in Barcelona in October and will probably use the bus to get an overview of the city. (Can rest the feet too which I am sure will be welcome).

Hello !
I am looking to go on a bus tour next year. Was just wondering how the crowds and weather are there in October?

Thanks in advance!

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
5,000+ Club

Good question about the weather. We will begin our cruise in BCN at the end of September and come back the first weekend in October. I am assuming the weather will still be warm???

Also, there is a large Spanish festival that will be going on beginning with our arrival and ending the weekend that we leave for home. All sorts of activities will be taking place around the city center. I imagine that the public buses and metro will be packed, but maybe the HOHO not so much. At least we are hoping.

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/point...ival-barcelona

A CC thread about last years festival
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ional+festival

http://www.rugatravelgroups.com/Fest...ar_EN-2012.pdf

We wish to get on the HOHO bus after checking into our hotel. We plan to ride around the city with no getting off until we are ready to go back to the hotel. This will give us a feel of the city so that when we return after the cruise, we will better know where and what we want to see.

Last edited by Iamthesea; April 27th, 2012 at 08:49 AM.