Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
- Read thousands of Celebrity Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Celebrity Cruise Deals
- Write a Celebrity Cruise Review
- Find Your Celebrity Roll Call
See posts about:
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit

Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Xpedition

Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Silhouette

Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Solstice

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's now been 10 days and still no credit to our Master Card, so I called MC and they don't have any information about a credit from Celebrity. It's month end and our bill is now due Normally I would be too upset, but this is THOUSANDS of dollar and it's my credit that is getting screwed up not celebrity's.

Has anyone else been able to get this resolved yet?
HAL Volendam - Jan 2003
Royal Olympic Explorer - Aug 2003
Cunard QM 2 - Jan 2004
Cunard QM 2 - Jan 2005
Celebrity Century - Sept 2005
RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Jun 2006
HAL Noordam - Feb 2007
Celebrity Galaxy - Aug 2007
HAL Oosterdam - Feb 2008
Cunard Queen Victoria - June 2008
HAL Statendam - Apr 2009
HAL Maasdam - Dec 2009
Celebrity Constellation - Apr 2011
Celebrity Millennium - Sept 2011
Cunard Queen Victoria - Dec 2011
Celebrity Solstice - April 2012
HAL Eurodam - Sept 2012
Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Dec 2012
Silversea Silver Spirit - Dec 2013
Avalon Impression - July 2014
Cunard Queen Mary 2 Dec 2014

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cash Only?

So if I want to avoid this entirely from ever happening to me, can't I just prepay tipping and leave, (say $1000 cash) when boarding on ship account? My first cruise coming up, Please fill me in.

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logger1 View Post
So if I want to avoid this entirely from ever happening to me, can't I just prepay tipping and leave, (say $1000 cash) when boarding on ship account? My first cruise coming up, Please fill me in.
My first cruise coming up also. I'm thinking of doing the same. I have already prepaid my tips and have paid for our beverage packages. I hate dealing with customer service incompetence and that is just what this is. They can double charge all in one day and it is taking days to correct. Excuse me. Just WRONG.

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Prepaying

We were on the April 8th Solstice cruise and were double charged. Our Mastercard was credited on 4/19 so it has been resolved.

We had prepaid gratuities, drink package and an excursion so our only charge was $11 from one of the shops. I was a little unhappy at first about having to prepay but was so glad after this incident! It was nice to not have to worry about a large credit card bill after we got home too.

However, I personally would not prepay too much in advance (unless there is a sale of course). We didn't purchase the excursion until about a month before our cruise and waited until the week before to purchase the drink package. I guess there is a risk of excursions selling out or specialty restaurants filling up but I don't think they are going to run out of drink packages.

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemancruiser View Post
It's now been 10 days and still no credit to our Master Card, so I called MC and they don't have any information about a credit from Celebrity. It's month end and our bill is now due Normally I would be too upset, but this is THOUSANDS of dollar and it's my credit that is getting screwed up not celebrity's.

Mine got cleared up on the 20th.If you still are having a problem call Celebrity or have your TA call for you.This was such a large screw up that I would think that some people could be missed.

Tom

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cash it Is!!

That makes up my mind. A bunch of $100 Travelers checks sounds like the way to go. I will have enough travellers cheques if we really enjoy ourselfs aboard. I do not care to deal with companies with credit cards who do not know how to deal with customer's accounts payments properly. Cash is KING!!

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logger1 View Post
That makes up my mind. A bunch of $100 Travelers checks sounds like the way to go. I will have enough travellers cheques if we really enjoy ourselfs aboard. I do not care to deal with companies with credit cards who do not know how to deal with customer's accounts payments properly. Cash is KING!!

Careful with the travelers checks. Apparently some of the lines aren't taking them any more.

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

If it has not yet been resolved, you need to contact your MC company and dispute the charges that are duplicated or incorrect. Not the holds, just the actual charges that have appeared on your bill. You should find instructions on a statement.

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebralovr View Post
Careful with the travelers checks. Apparently some of the lines aren't taking them any more.
They will take them you can be sure. AMX Says "Just like cash" They do not want to lose that handle!!

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are recently back from a cruise and at the bottom of the bill there was an explaination about the "hold" regarding credit cards that it will take a certain time period for the hold to be released. No surprise
2003 Carnival Conquest
2004 Zenith (Spring)
2004 Zenith (Fall)
2006 Summit
2006 Carnival Victory
2007 Carnival Glory
2007 Summit
2009 Millennium
2011 Constellation
2012 Constellation
2013 Eclipse

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It's now been 10 days and still no credit to our Master Card, so I called MC and they don't have any information about a credit from Celebrity. It's month end and our bill is now due
I assume you've already contacted Celebrity about this.

At this point I'd dispute the charge with the credit card company. I wouldn't pay a duplicate charge.
Celebrity Solstice Jan '09
Adventure of the Seas Jan '07
Voyager of the Seas Jan '03

Old April 27th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjoe View Post
I assume you've already contacted Celebrity about this.

At this point I'd dispute the charge with the credit card company. I wouldn't pay a duplicate charge.

Just to let you know that my credit card has just been cleared today.

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulounic View Post
Just to let you know that my credit card has just been cleared today.
Loulounic, Thanks for the update, I will try and contact MC on Monday. It's been very frustrating to deal with.
HAL Volendam - Jan 2003
Royal Olympic Explorer - Aug 2003
Cunard QM 2 - Jan 2004
Cunard QM 2 - Jan 2005
Celebrity Century - Sept 2005
RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Jun 2006
HAL Noordam - Feb 2007
Celebrity Galaxy - Aug 2007
HAL Oosterdam - Feb 2008
Cunard Queen Victoria - June 2008
HAL Statendam - Apr 2009
HAL Maasdam - Dec 2009
Celebrity Constellation - Apr 2011
Celebrity Millennium - Sept 2011
Cunard Queen Victoria - Dec 2011
Celebrity Solstice - April 2012
HAL Eurodam - Sept 2012
Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Dec 2012
Silversea Silver Spirit - Dec 2013
Avalon Impression - July 2014
Cunard Queen Mary 2 Dec 2014

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Problem still exists

We just got off the Infinity sailing May 18 and have been double billed for part of our invoice. As far as the holds are concerned, we haven't seen this in 30+ cruises. In the past, I get off the ship and a couple of days later check my credit card account and the amount that is on our bill is what shows. This time, we got a separate bill for each of us, which has never happened, then my part was charged separately and also included in my wife's. Also there are six separate active or pending charges on our account.

And to answer a previous poster, yes I absolutely would stop sailing with a company for a 'computer' glitch. This is affecting tens of thousands of people, many of which may not check their bills this closely. Based on previous posts, this isn't getting fixed unless you check your bill, complain, and chase it down.

If I have to go to that much trouble, my next correspondence will be with the state attorney general in Florida. There is no excuse, computer or otherwise, for this level of fraudulent charges being submitted.

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Celebrity itemizes each SeaPass card separately on your account. I have noticed that I can check on the TV and just see just my charges. But the end of the cruise final bill is for the total charges of both DH and I. We never worry/notice/care about the holds, just that the final charge is correct. The holds fall off when it all works through the Visa/cruise line "IT" system.

Oct 27/14 - 14 nt Spanish Serenade TA
May 11/15 - 10 nt Cannes Film Festival
Oct 25/15 - 14 nt Japan and China

"Username or Password Incorrect" Well at least tell me which one it is!

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Happens all the time

When I had my most recent problem, Celebrity claimed that they mischarge people all the time. I caught my error because I had a credit on my account at the end of the cruise. On the last day, I was called and given cash for the balance of my OBC. When my visa bill came, there was a charge from Celebrity....after the cruise, they charged me for the minibar which I never used. Supposedly they have credited me. What really is annoying is the Celebrity attitude that "it happens all the time." As I have previously stated on another thread, check your statements.

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I had a similar issue after my Summit cruise last December. I had purchased the alcohol packages and the only charges were for tips which were paid in full. After checking my account when I got home there were $400 of charges on my card. These were not there previously (I check daily) and were not authorization holds. After doing research, I found that it does in fact happen all the time, which is very disturbing. I called my bank and was put on a three way call to Celebrity customer service. They had no explanation for the charges and would investigate and call me back. They said normally a large amount charged would be items from the room that were taken like a robe, etc., which is bull since we've never taken items from the room and what robe costs $400??? I disputed the charges with the credit card company and got my money back. Interesting to note that Celebrity NEVER returned my call after the "investigation" into the charges.

Will it stop me from sailing with Celebrity? No, I have another cruise booked this December. I will however, be watching those charges very closely. Just think of the people that don't keep track of that and get charged extra not even knowing it.

katlawson9438@yahoo.com

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not Me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtravel View Post
When I had my most recent problem, Celebrity claimed that they mischarge people all the time. I caught my error because I had a credit on my account at the end of the cruise. On the last day, I was called and given cash for the balance of my OBC. When my visa bill came, there was a charge from Celebrity....after the cruise, they charged me for the minibar which I never used. Supposedly they have credited me. What really is annoying is the Celebrity attitude that "it happens all the time." As I have previously stated on another thread, check your statements.
We are going on our first cruise in Nov. Earlier posters and the latest ones have reafirmed my decision to bring travelers cheques for on board account. I usually refuse to deal with any company that has shoddy accounting. I wonder how long it would take them to fix if the problem was the other way and not charging for some onboard accounts. If I knew about this before I booked, I probably would of booked cruise with Princess because of this.

Old May 30th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have had holds placed on my debit card and understand the reason. I have never had a hold placed on my amex card. As I have an unlimited account, there is no reason to place holds and it has never happened before on any cruise.

Also in the past, when I have checked the accounts online, both mine and my wife's have identical line items - everything shows up under both names.

Then, as I have said, we got a single bill on the last day and that matched the one and only charge that showed up on Amex. This is the first time with individual charges on the card or holds (if that's what they are.)

I understand an occasional mis-charge. It has happened to us and a quick visit to the front desk fixed it. This sounds like an ongoing issue of double-billing along with whatever new policy is causing these holds and individual charges hitting my Amex.

I've been on Celebrity 15 times - something changed

Old May 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

While I was checking the disembarkation information on the Millenium, I noticed a screen that said there would be hold placed on our credit card each day. After the end of our cruse, the total would be charged and all the holds would be dropped. It looks like the charge has been made and some of the others are listed as pending.

Celebrity Mercury, 9/28/03 - Mexican Riviera

Sovereign Of The Seas, 8/30/04 – Caribbean
Celebrity Mercury, 5/13/05 - Mexican Riviera
Celebrity Summit, 9/7/07 Alaska Southbound
Celebrity Century, 5/3/10 - Western Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity, Stateroom 7180, 9/9/11 - Alaska Tracy Arm
Celebrity Millennium, Stateroom 8051, 5/12/12 - Panama Canal
Celebrity Millennium, Stateroom 8059, 4/25/13 - Transpacific
Celebrity Reflection, Stateroom 1540, 2/22/14 - Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, Stateroom 9067, 8/31/14 - Bermuda