Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Panama Canal

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default San Blas islands??

Years ago we did a cruise with an anchored stop at the San Blas Islands off of Panama. It was an amazing experience and would love to go there again someday. I'm guessing they don't have any port stops there anymore (haven't seen one in years) but does anyone know if there are any excursions to San Blas from the mainland on a Panama type cruise?

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Not many ships stop there now, I recently read on this board where the Veendam (HAL) was making a stop/s there. The San Blas Islands are probably a little too far for the time you have in a port call. I'm not sure how it is handled now, but when I was there you used to have to get a flight to Povenir which I believe is on the mainland and catch a boat to the Islands. I think if you were able to jump through all those hoops your time there would be minimal.
S.S. Badger R/T from Manitowoc June 02

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB48 View Post
Not many ships stop there now, I recently read on this board where the Veendam (HAL) was making a stop/s there. The San Blas Islands are probably a little too far for the time you have in a port call. I'm not sure how it is handled now, but when I was there you used to have to get a flight to Povenir which I believe is on the mainland and catch a boat to the Islands. I think if you were able to jump through all those hoops your time there would be minimal.
Thanks! We were lucky enough to anchor right at the islands and tender in. The natives were beautiful and their clothing and needlwork were outstanding. We took a dug-out canoe around the islands as an ecursion, then hung out on two of them for shopping in the little stalls and talking to the Cuna indians. Gosh it's gorgeous there, so remote and yet so close.

Old June 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Windstar

Windstar calls on the San Blas Islands on its Passage Through Panama cruise

Previous Cruises

Carnival
Renaissance R4
NCL
HAL Zuiderdam
Oceania Regatta
Seadream II
HAL Zaandam
HAL Zuiderdam
Wind Star Puerto Caldera to Colon
Wind Star Colon to Bermuda
Wind Star Athens to Istanbul

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

The San Blas Islands are a good reason to return to Panama and spend some quality time experiencing the country including the San Blas islands. You'll find molas for sale all over, but one of the best selections of Guna (the new preferred spelling of Kuna) molas as well as Embera and Wounaan baskets is at the Craft Market behind the old YMCA in Balboa. There are also some stores in the Casco Viejo (often on tours called "Colonial Panama) that have some great selection as well.

Regards, Richard

Richard Detrich - Port & Canal Lecturer & Author
Panama Cruise Blog