Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks so much ...

We also leave in a week for a Nile Cruise and a few days in Cairo.

Really looking forward to it!
Caribbean Princess 2007
Serenade of the Seas 2006
Sea Princess 2001

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Chisit View Post
We leave in week to start our cruise so the excitement level is rising..have been to Egypt but Jordan is new to us.
Emma - have a great time! We loved Egypt, but both felt Petra was the place we'd make another trip to!

More on the tourism levels, btw. We cruised for 3 nights on the Nile on one of A&K's boats (the Sun Boat IV, which was wonderful and very nicely and tastefully appointed, with cheerful and helpful crew). The boat holds 80 passengers. We had 14. Our guide did ask, and heard that the return trip upriver (4 nights) was almost full.

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by azevedan View Post
Emma - have a great time! We loved Egypt, but both felt Petra was the place we'd make another trip to!

More on the tourism levels, btw. We cruised for 3 nights on the Nile on one of A&K's boats (the Sun Boat IV, which was wonderful and very nicely and tastefully appointed, with cheerful and helpful crew). The boat holds 80 passengers. We had 14. Our guide did ask, and heard that the return trip upriver (4 nights) was almost full.
Question - which port did you dock in to go to Petra? And did you do the A&K tour to Petra from that port? I'm looking for a tour from either Sagafa or Sharm El Shiek to Petra and hoping 1) they're safe and 2) I'd really like a reference for a great company to tour with.

Norwegian Jade - April 17, 2013, Italy, Greece & Turkey - Western Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean - NOS, December 30, 2011 - Western Caribbean
Norwegian Jade, September 5, 2010 - Spain, France & Italy - Western Mediterranean

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochala View Post
Question - which port did you dock in to go to Petra? And did you do the A&K tour to Petra from that port? I'm looking for a tour from either Sagafa or Sharm El Shiek to Petra and hoping 1) they're safe and 2) I'd really like a reference for a great company to tour with.
Our tour was primarily a land tour, except for the 3 nights sailing the Nile. We flew into Amman, toured Jordan (Jerash, Petra and a few other stops), a night and day at the Dead Sea, then over to Cairo for a couple of days, down to Abu Simbel, then Aswan up to Luxor, back to Cairo. It was the Sands of Time tour, but they have several others as well.

I have seen cruises that dock in Aqaba, I think, and then go to Petra.

Last edited by azevedan; March 26th, 2012 at 09:44 PM.

Old April 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not our experience

My wife and I just got back from Egypt and the people could not have nicer to us. Everywhere we went people spoke fluent English and were polite and helpfull. My wife and I walked around Giza at night and never felt unsafe at anytime. The tourist police were nice and always willing to take photos for us. Well for a little baksheesh anyway. We had a wonderful time and would go back in a heartbeat.

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Just got back

We got back a couple of days ago and had a wonderful time.

We felt perfectly safe at all times and were given a very warm welcome. The egyptians are so grateful for tourists who visit Egypt and they show it and thank you for visiting their country.

Because of the drop in numbers of tourists, there weren't queues (lines) as there normally would be at this time of year.

In Cairo we did see a couple of very peaceful demonstrations with a lot of riot police there, but there was no trouble and all was calm. These people rely heavily on tourism for their economy and really need the visitors.

We were harrassed by people trying to sell us things everywhere we went, but the people are desperate to make some money. I think that was the only down side of our trip.
Caribbean Princess 2007
Serenade of the Seas 2006
Sea Princess 2001

Old April 16th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin and Lindsey View Post
We were harrassed by people trying to sell us things everywhere we went, but the people are desperate to make some money. I think that was the only down side of our trip.
That is just simply Egypt. I call it running the gauntlet. However, the worse harrrassment by sellers I ever experienced was in India in the Rajastan region. There was one stop at a temple were it was really intense.

Upcoming Cruises

Completed Cruises
Ruby Princess TA October 2012| Dawn Princess New Zealand December 2012 | Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean | Celebrity Equinox TA April 2013 | Sea Princess Auckland to Sydney August 2013| Dawn Princess Sydney - Hobart - Melbourne November 2013 |Diamond Princess Tasmania December 2013 | Rhapsody of Seas South Pacific January 2014 | PO UK Arcadia - Sydney to Melbourne February 2014 | Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland March 2014 |Carnival Spirit South Pacific August 2014|Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland October 2014 |

Old April 17th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMates View Post
Certainly understand what you guys are saying; however, we are very excited about our cruise that includes two overnights in Egypt in late October. Obviously we won't be able to go if things don't settle down in the next few months. I just hope Celebrity doesn't change/cancel anything this far out. We have put off going over there for the last few years and finally decided to just do it. Keep your fingers crossed for us!
I still have hopes.
Hi BridgeMates, are you on the Solstice Barcelona to Dubai, if you are, then we are on the same one and we are also worried that Celebrity will cancel, just hope they give us lots of notice if they do. We are from the UK and at present Brits are still going on holiday to Egypt and our Foreign Office are not advising against it. I think I am more concerned about cruising on the approaches to Dubai through Pirate territory then I am about Egypt.

Cruises Taken
Premier Cruises - Rembrandt
Sun Cruises - Sunbird
Thomson (Dolphin Cruises) - Island Breeze
Thomson - Emerald(3)
Princess - Diamond Princess
RCI - Radiance of the Seas
HAL - Eurodam
Celebrity - Summit, Solstice, Eclipse
P&O - Old Arcadia, Aurora(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4), Azura(3), Arcadia, Oceana(2)

Last edited by bee-ess; April 17th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sailed Dubai to Istanbul.

Had a superb time in Egypt with no problems at all.

A fascinating country.

Kind regards

Tony
Norwegian Dream, Dawn Princess,
Horizen / Zenith , Arcadia,
Marco Polo, Golden Princess, Coral Princess.
Minerva 11,
Regal Princess, Norwegian Jewel,
MV Discovery, Artemis,
Seabourn Pride , Spirit, Odyssey, Sojourn, Legend.
Quest, Regent Mariner.
Silverseas Wind, Silver shadow, MV Nordstjernen.Aegean Odyssey

Cruised Antarctica, Alaska, North & South America, Falklands & South Georgia, Atlantic, Panama Canal ,Australia /New Zealand /Middle & Far East /China, British Isles,South Pacific , Caribbean, Mediterranean,Amazon,Norwegian Fjords. Spitsbergen.

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just returned from Egypt

Hi,

We have just returned from a 3 week tour within Egypt. We visited Cairo, Faiyoum, Luxor, Aswan, did a cruise on Lake Nasser, went to Kharga Oasis followed by a cruise from Safaga to Sharm el Sheik, Sokhna and through the canal travelling by car, minivan, 4WD, aircraft and ship .

At no time did we have any security problems and were perfectly safe.

A wonderful trip to a wonderful country

Hommar

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

With elections in Egypt coming this May and June, let's hope the area stays peaceful. The first round of elections is May 23 and 24 with a probable runoff in June.

4/18/2012: Egypt's looming showdown
The banning of Islamist presidential candidates could bring violence back into the streets.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,7518192.story

Old April 19th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default For Bee-ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-ess View Post
Hi BridgeMates, are you on the Solstice Barcelona to Dubai, if you are, then we are on the same one and we are also worried that Celebrity will cancel, just hope they give us lots of notice if they do. We are from the UK and at present Brits are still going on holiday to Egypt and our Foreign Office are not advising against it. I think I am more concerned about cruising on the approaches to Dubai through Pirate territory then I am about Egypt.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's the Oct 26th cruise. We already have a large roll call so come on over and join us (Solstice Repo Cruise). Great itinerary. Crossing our fingers we get to the Egyptian ports and Petra. Oh yes, and Dubai.......!

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default People will believe what they want to believe.

I would not go to Egypt right now. I am glad we went two years ago. People whose priority it is to go, will go. I hope they go safely.

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just returned

We just returned from a land tour of Jordan and Egypt. In Egypt, we spent time in Cairo and took a three day Nile cruise between Aswan and Luxor.

At no time in Egypt did we feel unsafe. In fact, it is an incredible time to be there and learn about the evolving political situation first hand. The sites are less crowded now and everyone is grateful for the tourist spending. We felt it was a win-win situation and a trip of a lifetime not be be missed.

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
We just returned from a land tour of Jordan and Egypt.
Welcome back, vakamalua! Wasn't it wonderful?!

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
We just returned from a land tour of Jordan and Egypt. In Egypt, we spent time in Cairo and took a three day Nile cruise between Aswan and Luxor.

At no time in Egypt did we feel unsafe. In fact, it is an incredible time to be there and learn about the evolving political situation first hand. The sites are less crowded now and everyone is grateful for the tourist spending. We felt it was a win-win situation and a trip of a lifetime not be be missed.
I am glad you had no problems. With elections coming soon it's possible for problems to crop up. Only today there were some more protests.

4/28/2012: CAIRO: Hundreds of Egyptians protested in Cairo yesterday against what they said was a bid to bring back deposed President Hosni Mubarak's old guard..

...Thousands turned out in Egypt's second city of Alexandria and hundreds in other cities for the Islamist-led protest.

The Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's biggest Islamist group that already dominates parliament, called for the demonstration to prevent “a delay in handing over power in June and to protest at the attempt to revive the corrupt former regime.”

http://arabnews.com/middleeast/article619718.ece

Old April 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Friday is protest day. Was the same way in Jordan. It's the first day of their weekend.

Old April 30th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwcork View Post
Azamara (owned by the RCCL) has decided to eliminate Egypt ports
Screwcork
Now I am worried.

Old April 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Protests and injuries now occurred over the weekend. Expect more as the elections near and maybe more cruise ship cancellations.

4/30/2012: Violence re-erupts in Egypt again
CAIRO: More than 90 people were wounded in overnight clashes between Salafist protesters and residents of a Cairo neighbourhood, the Egyptian health ministry said on Sunday. ...

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/25f8c20b-...a724ee2be.aspx

and

4/30/2012: Islamists suspend parliament in Egypt
"...CAIRO // Egypt's parliament yesterday suspended sessions for a week in protest at the ruling generals' refusal to dismiss the military-appointed government....Its suspension came after a night of violence in central Cairo, where demonstrators outside the defence ministry calling for an end to military rule were attacked with rocks and firebombs. One protester died and 30 were hurt...."

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...ament-in-egypt

Old May 4th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fblack View Post
Protests and injuries now occurred over the weekend. Expect more as the elections near and maybe more cruise ship cancellations.

4/30/2012: Violence re-erupts in Egypt again
CAIRO: More than 90 people were wounded in overnight clashes between Salafist protesters and residents of a Cairo neighbourhood, the Egyptian health ministry said on Sunday. ...

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/25f8c20b-...a724ee2be.aspx

and

4/30/2012: Islamists suspend parliament in Egypt
"...CAIRO // Egypt's parliament yesterday suspended sessions for a week in protest at the ruling generals' refusal to dismiss the military-appointed government....Its suspension came after a night of violence in central Cairo, where demonstrators outside the defence ministry calling for an end to military rule were attacked with rocks and firebombs. One protester died and 30 were hurt...."

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...ament-in-egypt
Some positive articles to read:
TripAdvisor: "You will find security situation in Egypt (as in many countries) is frequently exaggerated by Western media outlets, creating a negative impressions that is somewhat amplified by the heavy-handed policies of Egyptian authorities in keeping tourists safe. The reality is that travelling in Egypt is probably no more hazardous, with regard to terrorism, than visiting most Western capitals (and probably a lot safer!)"
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2....In.Egypt.html

Peter Greenberg, Travel Editor for CBS News: "I've been traveling to Egypt since I was 24 and I can never get enough of it. One thing is consistent: Every time I tell friends I'm going to Egypt, they always say: "Be careful," "Be safe" or, quite recently, "Are you nuts?"
I am not crazy. I've always said that the best time to visit a destination is immediately after a civil disturbance or a natural disaster. The worst four-letter word starting with "f" is "fear," and Americans know no shortage of it when it comes to making their travel choices. They are directly motivated by it. I put my money where my mouth is...and I go."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-...b_1205841.html

About.com, Africa Travel: "As is often the case, most of the violent action takes place in the cities, and Egypt's capital Cairo was no exception in January 2011. But it's hard to avoid Cairo when you visit Egypt, since the pyramids are there as well as the wonderful Egyptian Musuem. Check current news reports before you plan your Cairo portion of the trip, just to be sure it's OK to visit the sights without fear of running into a demonstration. Things were hotting up again a year later, in early 2012."
http://goafrica.about.com/od/egypt/f...l-To-Egypt.htm