Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

East Coast Departures
Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l

Old April 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Because thwere are so many NYC cruise terminal experts here, I thought I'd ask a quick question. We are driving in & are willing (not happy) to pay the parking prices at the terminal. We will probably arrive there about 11:30-12 noon. I read somewhere that, with 3 ships departing, there can be an hour long line-up to get into the terminal & parking. Is this true or does the traffic move pretty quickly?

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

I live in NJ and usally have someone drive us. This time we are taking the train and walking or taking a cab. Cheaper than paying gas, tolls and tunnel tolls.

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:20 PM
5,000+ Club

We plan to fly into the Newark airport and stay at an airport hotel. The next day we cruise from the Brooklyn port. I have now found out it is not easy to get there from NJ. Does anyone have ideas on a car service from airport hotel to port? I wonder if it would be better to change our flight to LaGuardia and get car service from there. I know Princess has ground transportation to the port - but we need to get back to the airport for pick up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gail

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

If the cost is not great switching you flight is probably the easiest. Other threads have the names of some good hotels near LGA.

If you choose to stay with your current hotel try Dial 7. www.dial7.com

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/URL

Norwegian Star 2012
Celebrity Zenith 2003

Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress 2000
Carnival Sensation 1996
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 1995
Carnival Sensation 1994
Carnival Jubilee 1991
Celebrity Horizon 1990

Old April 28th, 2012, 04:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
We plan to fly into the Newark airport and stay at an airport hotel. The next day we cruise from the Brooklyn port. I have now found out it is not easy to get there from NJ. Does anyone have ideas on a car service from airport hotel to port? I wonder if it would be better to change our flight to LaGuardia and get car service from there. I know Princess has ground transportation to the port - but we need to get back to the airport for pick up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gail
Look at Hampton Inn on Staten Island. They have a hotel shuttle from Newark Airport. Once on Staten Island, which is part of NYC, you can take a car service to Brooklyn. Folks have used Village Car Service to go to the Brookyn port - I'm guessing in the $75 range. You can take Princess transfers back to Newark.

Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens are in a wooded corporate park. Hampton Inn offers free breakfast and Hilton Gardens, which is next door, has a nice restaurant. It's a nice enclave in the middle of New York City.

http://www.villagecarservice.net/

Carol

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Thank you both for your replies.
Gail

Old April 30th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'll be returning on a Sunday at Pier 88 (NCL Star). They estimate docking at 8AM and disembarkation starting at 10AM. However in other ports I know that NCL starts disembark as early as 845AM for walkoffs with luggage, and I usually breeze through customs/immigration if I'm one of the first people off the ship.

I booked Dial 7 car service for 915AM pickup for an 11AM flight out of LGA. I am A List on Southwest which means I can cut the checkin and security lines.

Am I nuts, or can I reasonably expect to do this at the Manhattan port? Next flight is 3 hours later and I'd rather not wait.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old April 30th, 2012, 11:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Pendell View Post
I'll be returning on a Sunday at Pier 88 (NCL Star). They estimate docking at 8AM and disembarkation starting at 10AM. However in other ports I know that NCL starts disembark as early as 845AM for walkoffs with luggage, and I usually breeze through customs/immigration if I'm one of the first people off the ship.

I booked Dial 7 car service for 915AM pickup for an 11AM flight out of LGA. I am A List on Southwest which means I can cut the checkin and security lines.

Am I nuts, or can I reasonably expect to do this at the Manhattan port? Next flight is 3 hours later and I'd rather not wait.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I wouldn't do it.

Sundays at the Manhattan Cruise terminal are notorious for slow processing through customs and immigration because they never seem to have enough agents available.

Even the slightest hiccup in anything, from the ship not arriving on time to a traffic delay on the trip to the airport will mean you'll miss your flight.