Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Costa Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Costa Cruises
Read hundreds of Costa Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Costa Cruise Deals.

Go To: Costa Cruises ROLL CALL Forum

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tipping on Costa

My husband and I are first time cruisers.. Cruising the Eastern Med in May on the Costa Fascinosa. It is a special occaision so we are staying in a suite. It is my understanding that Gratuity is already charged at 7.00 PP a day. Is it customary to gove your butler and wait staff in the main dining room an additional tip? Is this cash? is it done daily? or at the end? do you tip bar tenders as you go? WE have the all inclusive drink packages

Thank you for assisting with my questions!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

you charges will be in euros since you are cruising in the med. everything will be in euros - shore excurions, hotel charge (tips), etc. the amoutn varies a little, depending on the length of your cruise. odd, but i can't find the exact amount on costa's website.

when i had the x1 package, i found i received much better service from the bar waiters when i tipped a euro. they almost competed to bring my drinks.

there is no need to tip anything extra, but i usually do at the end of the cruise in cash, but only to those that have made my vacation special.

Last edited by CtheW0rld; April 30th, 2012 at 04:58 AM.

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

No additional tipping required. The daily automatic service charge is divided among the crew members at the end of the cruise. You don't have to do anything. If your butler, cabin steward, and table waiters have been exceptional, by all means give them something extra at the end (e.g. 10-20 euros).
11/2014 - Costa neoRomantica - Ancient Mediterranean (11) (Italy/Greece/Turkey/Malta)

Done:

3/2014 - MSC Sinfonia - Capetown-Civitavecchia (19) (S. Africa/Namibia/Senegal/Canary Is./Morocco/Corsica/Italy)
9/2013 - Costa Pacifica - Aegean Costa Club Cruise (13) (Italy/Greece/Turkey)
2/2013 - Costa Magica - East Med (12) (Italy/Greece/Israel/Turkey)

9/2012 - Costa Luminosa - Magic Europa (10) (Denmark/Germany/UK/France/Spain/Portugal/Italy) B2B:
9/2012 - Costa Luminosa - Verde Lime (5) (Italy/Spain/France)
6/2012 - MSC Magnifica - North Cape-Svalbard (15) (Germany/Denmark/Norway)
1/2012 - MSC Fantasia - West Med/Atlantic (11) (Italy/Spain/Madeira/Canary Is./Morocco)
10/2011 - Costa Atlantica - East Med (10) (Italy/Egypt/Cyprus/Turkey/Greece)
9/2011 - Costa Atlantica - Central Med & Black Sea (13) (Italy/Greece/Turkey/Ukraine/Romania)
5/2011 - MSC Melody - West Med/Atlantic (11) (Italy/Spain/Portugal/Morocco/France)
4/2011 - MSC Melody - East Med (11) (Italy/Greece/Cyprus/Lebanon)
2/2011 - Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean (14) (Mauritius/Seychelles/Madagascar/Reunion)
10/2010 - Costa Mediterranea - East-Central Med (11) (Greece/Cyprus/Egypt/Malta/Libya)
6/2010 - MSC Poesia - North Europe (14) (Germany/Norway/Iceland/Faroe & Shetland Is.)
3/2010 - Costa Marina - Atlantic Islands (14) (Spain/Morocco/Canary Is./Madeira/France)
1/2010 - MSC Splendida - East Med (11) (Italy/Greece/Israel/Egypt/Tunisia)
8/2009 - Costa Serena - East Med (7) (Greece/Turkey/Croatia/Italy)

4/2009 - Costa Concordia - East Med (11) (Greece/Turkey/Cyprus/Egypt/Italy)
1/2009 - Oberoi Philae - Nile River Cruise Luxor-Aswan (7)
12/2007 - Costa Europa - Savona-Dubai Repositioning (18) (Egypt/Suez/Jordan/Yemen/Oman)
5/2007 - MSC Opera - Norwegian Fiords (7) (Germany/Norway/Denmark)
6/1994 - MSC Monterey - East Med (12) (Egypt/Israel/Turkey/Greece/Italy)

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Oh for a world where people are paid a living wage for the duties they carry out and there is no longer the facility for people to "buy" preferential treatment.
First Choice Ausonia 2001
Airtours Sunbird 2002
Island Escape 2003
Airtours Sundream 2004
RCI Splendour of the Seas 2005
NCL Pride of America 2008
Thomson Destiny 2010
Thomson Celebration 2012
Costa Fortuna 2013
Fred Olsen Braemar 2013
Fred Olsen Braemar 2013

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive and anne View Post
Oh for a world where people are paid a living wage for the duties they carry out and there is no longer the facility for people to "buy" preferential treatment.
Aah you are right,but that is really pre-tipping otherwise known as bribery which, of course, should NEVER be done. I don't think it's something that we Brits do anyway.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you everyone! this helped