New Sturgeon Caviar to Come On Seabourn

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Seabourn Cruise Line

Read Seabourn Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Seabourn Cruises Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:43 AM.
2,008 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Seabourn Sources Sustainable Sturgeon Caviar

April 27th, 2012
Seabourn has announced an alliance with Colorado-based Black River Caviar that will provide our discerning guests with top quality ossetra sturgeon caviar produced by a sustainable “wild farming” method in South America.
The caviar, which is processed by the lower-salt Malossol method, comes from Siberian sturgeon stock raised in a natural environment carefully researched to provide ideal conditions. The end result is caviar that has been praised by experts including a number of renowned chefs and Ruth Reichl, the former editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine for its flavor and texture. It has also been verified as being ecologically sustainable by the authority of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and granted a top “Green” rating by the Marine Conservation Institute.
“Caviar is a luxury,” noted Richard Meadows, Seabourn’s president, “and as such, it is a part of the culinary repertoire on board our ships. Seabourn guests expect us to provide quality caviar,” he continued, “and they also share our concern for sustainability, so we are pleased to have discovered the Black River ossetra.”
“Black River Caviar is very pleased to be serving Seabourn,” said Graham Gaspard, president of Black River Caviar. “Both companies share the same philosophy of providing our clients only the finest quality products and service in an environmentally responsible way. We are grateful for Seabourn’s support of sustainable farming which is critical to the preservation of several sturgeon species. We consider it a great honor to be working with a company not only known as the pre-eminent luxury cruise line but also the role model for environmental stewardship.”
Black River Caviar is produced by a family-owned facility on the Rio Negro in Uruguay, under the guidance of a Russian master sturgeon farmer. The firm was started in 1990 with fertilized Siberian sturgeon roe imported from Russia. After twelve years of cultivation, the company began harvesting caviar in 2001. The caviar is produced to order, and never stored. For more information about Black River Caviar, visit www.blackrivercaviar.com.
antwerpen
985 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
the problem with a "free caviar" policy is that people do order doubles and more just because it is expensive ...
you have to taste caviar and not eat it - unfortunately i noticed a lot of "abuse" of caviar on seabourn - even people ordering it and finally not finishing it
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
7,054 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by wripro
My mother told me if I don't finish my caviar I don't get dessert!
Yep, sounds like my Mother as well.
Tulsa OK
7,406 Posts
Joined May 2006
Smart woman, sounds like me!
Baton Rouge
74 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
I come from a different background. For me, it was collard greens I needed to dispose of before any talk of dessert. I thought caviar were Russian horse soldiers. Thank goodness, things have improved!
1,296 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Black River Caviar was featured in the Seabourn magazine I received a couple of weeks ago. Is it served on board now, or pending some future date? Hope to read a review from some Seabourn sailors soon ... I'm afraid I won't be on Seabourn again until late summer. It sounds like a substantial qualitative improvement on the caviar served last year.
Sedona, Arizona
1,670 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Probably the reason I detest the stuff
2,172 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Seabourntraveller
lol!!!!:d
Glad you got back OK and in apparent fine fettle!

Just to keep on topic I can't stand caviar - so which brand SB serves up would be totally wasted on me!
2,008 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by fairbourne
Glad you got back OK and in apparent fine fettle!

Just to keep on topic I can't stand caviar - so which brand SB serves up would be totally wasted on me!
Send it over my way then fairbourne!...I LOVE caviar!...BTW, no jet lag.
2,221 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by vistaman
- unfortunately i noticed a lot of "abuse" of caviar on seabourn - even people ordering it and finally not finishing it
Those are the people who never had it before and decide to try it because it is "free." Don't worry, they will not be ordering it again. More for the rest of us.
San Francisco
520 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by E and T
They have been serving this Caviar for about 3 or 4 years now. I could not tell the difference in taste or texture .
A year ago on the Odyssey, American-farmed caviar was served.