Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Canada

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann ns View Post
The route in the map mentioned above is one I have done and recommended many times. The scenery is great, particularly in the Iona area. http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Syd...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

Toms Port guides are excellent, but not perfect. The ferry he mentions was closed a few years ago for repairs, but runs fine now.

It is very frustrating that ships will not stay in Sydney long enough for people to drive around the Cabot Trail. However they don't so you really have two options for a great day.

One is to go to Baddeck and Iona and renting a car is the best way to do this.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/index.aspx
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/hv/en/home/default.aspx

The second is to go to Fortress Louisbourg. Renting a car also works for this, and depending upon the time you are in port and how long you spend at Louisbourg, you may also have time to go to the Glace Bay Miner's Museum, where you can be taken down into an old coal mine and learn about the life of a miner from a retired coal miner.
http://www.minersmuseum.com/mine_tour.htm

Louisbourg is only fully open from June 15 to October 15 so keep that in mind. When it is open, you are immersed into the life of the fortified town in the year 1744, with live animators (people playing the roles of actual people) and restaurants, pubs, etc.
Hi Maryann, just curious, how many Ferries will we be on, on this route and what is the cost to take the ferry. I have booked the ship excursion and a rental car so I can cancel one or the other. Still trying to decide the best way. So far I am finding out that the cost of the rental car will be half of the ship excursion. That includes all the entrance fees and gas. If we drive ourself how much time would you allow at the Bell Museum and at the Highland Village? We are there on June 8th from 8 - 5 so want to be back in plenty of time to drop off rental car and get back to the ship by 4:30. Thank you so much for all your helpful info. Also, any stops you can recommend on your route to stop and see beside Alexander Graham Bell Museum and Highland Village. We love scenery. Thanks again.

10-Celebrity Solstice(West Coast - Wine & Americas Cup) Sep 13 2013
12-Enchantment of the Sea (Southern Carib)Feb 25,2013
12-Carnival Spirit (Vancouver/Hawaii) Sep 18, 2012
7-Carnival Glory (Can/New Engl) June 3,2012
7-Carnival Valor (Western Carib) Nov 27, 2011
9-Caribean Princess (Can/New Engl) June 22, 2011
5-Carnival Fantasy (Bahamas) Jan 28, 2011
8-Carnival Freedom (Southern Carib) Nov 6, 2010
7-Caribean Princess (Can/New Engl)Sept 4, 2010
10-Ruby Princess(Southern Carib) November 14, 2009
5-Carnival Triumph (Canada/New Engl.)July 13, 2009
7-Sapphire Princess (Alaska)August 23, 2008
7-Carnival Destiny (Southern Carib) October 14,2007
5-Carnival Inspiration (West Carib) October 2006
4-Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas) October 2005
7-Celebrity Century (Western Carib) March 2003
7-Carnival Victory (Eastern Carib) March 2001

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

http://g.co/maps/dhmtm

There is just the one 'ferry', merely a cable barge that takes less than five minutes.

http://g.co/maps/dhmtm

http://marinas.com/view/ferry/404_Li...erry_NS_Canada

24/7 on demand for $5.25 http://gov.ns.ca/tran/hottopics/ferries.asp

You will want perhaps two hours at the Bell Museum and an hour or so at Highland Village. You could stop in Baddeck for lunch, perhaps.

You will perhaps make a few photo stops, but you should have time for a nice day.

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, and thanks for all the info!
We don't leave til 6:30 and were thinking of going both to the fortress and to Baddeck.
Is this too much?
readsalot

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:46 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It may be too much as they are in opposite directions. Fortress Louisbourg is amazing, and most people spend at least four hours there. I would go there first and then you can decide.

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Sydney sightseeing

I have been to Sydney on a few cruises, and I'd like to offer my opinions. We've been to Fortress Louisburg, the Miner's Museum, and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. My hands down favorite was the Fortress. It kind of reminded us of a small version of Colonial Williamsburg. It's really nice, but if your walking is limited, I wouldn't recommend it. Also, if you're going when the character interpreters are not there, the experience would not be quite the same.
I'm 5 ft 1 in, so I loved the Miner's Museum. My husband, who is 6 ft. 1 in, didn't like it as much. A retired miner takes you down into a mine, which is only about 5 ft 4 in high. My poor husband's back was killing him when we came out. Really interesting, if you don't have to walk like Quasimodo.
The Alexander Bell Museum was my least favorite. I am a real museum nerd, but I thought that one was a real snore. I had more fun shopping by the pier.

Old May 9th, 2012, 03:40 PM
5,000+ Club

We were in Syndey after Canadian Thanksgiving, so Louisburg's regular scheduled interpreters weren't there. We finally decided to take the ship's tour, rather than renting a car. We had wanted to stay longer than the tour provided, but the tour was just the easiest way to do it.

The tour company arranged walking tours and for us to meet three character interpreters, a soldier, a kitchen demo (followed by a cup of "drinking chocolate), and a lady in one of the houses. Because of the late date, it wasn't as good as the full slate of characters in the summer, and not everything was open. But it was a good tour and used the time well. There were a few people walking around on their own, but they didn't get the programs we had, so we were glad we took the ship's tour instead of going on our own.
5 QM2 - 3 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers

Old May 9th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbig View Post
Here is a google map of a driving route for sightseeing:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Syd...ra=ls&t=m&z=10
This is an excellent route that I intend to follow in a couple of weeks. However, I will be using a GPS device loaded with Canadian maps. Any suggestions on how to program in these navigation points? Do "city centers" work or are there landmark addresses I should use?

Thanks!

-------------------------
UPCOMING CRUISES
Jewel of the Seas (1/15), Southern Caribbean
Brilliance of the Seas (7/15), Norwegian Fjords
Liberty of the Seas (1/16), Western Caribbean
PREVIOUS CRUISES
Celebrity Century (3/14), California Coastal * Carnival Breeze (01/14), Southern Caribbean * Carnival Glory (06/13), New England/Canada * Disney Fantasy (01/13), Western Caribbean * HAL Maasdam (05/12), Canada & New England * HAL Oosterdam (12/11), Mexican Riviera Holiday * HAL Oosterdam (05/11), Alaska including Glacier Bay * Disney's Wonder (01/11), Mexican Riviera * Disney's Wonder (01/11), Cruise to "Neverland" * Disney's Magic (01/10), Eastern Caribbean * NCL's Norwegian Dawn (01/09), Eastern Caribbean * RCI's Legend of the Seas (12/05), Western Caribbean Holiday * NCLA's Pride of Aloha (01/05), Hawaii * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (12/04), Baja Mexico * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (04/04), Baja Mexico * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04), Baja Mexico * Princess' Star Princess (6/03), Alaska * RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01), Mexican Riviera * Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96), Western Caribbean * RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94), Baja Mexico

Old May 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

That is a good question (which means I don't know the answer!). You will see that the Sydney address is the Marine Terminal (postal code B1P 1A1). That should work.

Baddeck is very small so any address should work. The Highway is #105.
The Bell Museum is here, a bit away from the centre of town: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/graha...it/visit2.aspx

For Iona put in the Highland Museum: 4119 Highway 223
Iona, NS,B2C 1A3

Christmas Island is a couple houses along the main road. It is on highway 223 where #216 comes in.

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann ns View Post
That is a good question (which means I don't know the answer!). You will see that the Sydney address is the Marine Terminal (postal code B1P 1A1). That should work.

Baddeck is very small so any address should work. The Highway is #105.
The Bell Museum is here, a bit away from the centre of town: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/graha...it/visit2.aspx

For Iona put in the Highland Museum: 4119 Highway 223
Iona, NS,B2C 1A3

Christmas Island is a couple houses along the main road. It is on highway 223 where #216 comes in.
Thanks. I'll try what you've suggested.

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrislc View Post
This is an excellent route that I intend to follow in a couple of weeks. However, I will be using a GPS device loaded with Canadian maps. Any suggestions on how to program in these navigation points? Do "city centers" work or are there landmark addresses I should use?

Thanks!
Seems odd to reply to my own post, but I found a solution that others might find helpful.

If you go to the Google Maps route linked above, you can click on each of the destination points (e.g., marked A on the map). If you right click on the marker point on the map, an "Address" bubble will appear and give you the following options: Search Nearby, Save to Map, or More. If you click on More, one of the options is Send. If you have a compatible GPS device attached to your computer either by the USB cable or by Bluetooth, you can actually send the point to your GPS and name it whatever you want. In my case, I named it Sydney Point A, Sydney Point B, etc.

Hope this helps others.

Old May 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks for this great tip!

Sailed:
Azamara Quest Far East, March 5, 2011
Victoria Empress, Yangtze River, March 25, 2011
Azamara Quest Ancient Empires, Nov. 14, 2009

Independent land tours:
2014 Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam (land and Halong Bay Cruise on Dragon's Pearl)
New Zealand and Australia 2013
China 2011
Argentina and Peru, 2007
Europe, 1985, 91-92, 95, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2011
numerous in US and Canada
Guatemala and Mexico 1971, 1972
Haiti, 1970
Jamaica, 1968-71

Old May 25th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Are you on celebrity, summit? We will also be in Sydney on the same day & planning on renting a car there.