Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old April 30th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bridge tours?

On my last cruise on the Summit we were offered a tour of the bridge, which we thought was spectacular. We'll be on the Eclipse in November and were wondering if they still offer bridge tours?

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have the same question but about the Summit? I'll be cruising in November and would love to take a tour of the bridge if it's still offered.
We were on Norwegian Jewel last year and they didn't offer one.

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

They did Eclipse tours a couple of years ago. Best bet is to go to Guest Relations and ask to be put on the list for bridge tours (which they'll say doesn't exist, but they'll ask you to keep quiet about it after putting you on the list!). Also, if you are Elite or something, ask the Captains Club host/hostess as well.

Simon

Past Cruises
Nov 2003 Legend of the Seas [Panama Canal]
Jun 2005 Radiance of the Seas [Alaska]
Jan 2007 Freedom of the Seas [W. Carib.]
Apr/May 2007 Sapphire Princess [Sydney - LA]
May 2008 Navigator of the Seas [W. Med. 3 B2B's]
Nov/Dec 2009 Independence of the Seas [TA W'bnd]
Dec 2009/Jan 2010 Explorer of the Seas [E. Carib B2B]
Jul 2010 Celebrity Eclipse [ Baltic ports ]
Feb/Mar 2012 Celebrity Infinity [S. America & Panama Canal B2B]
Jul 2013 Celebrity Eclipse [Iceland & Norwegian Fjords]

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
10,000+ Club

I've heard that bridge tours/visits have been suspended since the Concordia disater. I've also heard about some new regulations prohibiting unnecesary personnel on the bridge.

Carnival Splendor 11/14

Legend of the Seas 3/15

Regal Princess 10/15
NY to FL Tommy's birthday cruise!
Celebrity Eclipse 1/16
CC angle balcony next to the pool!
Celebrity Constellation 3/16
Only if we can't make it to Hawaii
Celebrity Solstice 4/16
Maui for a few days, then Honolulu to Vancouver!

Ruby Princess 5/16

Past Adventures...
Legend of the Seas 7/98, Sea Princess 10/99, S/S Norway 2/00, Norwegian Majesty 10/00, Norwegian Wind 3/01, Carnival Triumph 11/01, S/S Norway 3/02, Carnival Spirit 1/03, Brilliance of the Seas 3/03, Brilliance of the Seas 1/04, Celebrity Summit 3/04, Caribbean Princess 3/05, Explorer of the Seas 10/05, Carnival Liberty 2/06, Majesty of the Seas 10/06, Freedom of the Seas 11/06, Carnival Miracle 2/07, Voyager of the Seas 11/07, Carnival Miracle 1/08, Emerald Princess 4/08, Carnival Pride 11/08, Carnival Liberty 1/09, Diamond Princess 8/09, Carnival Dream 2/10 B2B, Celebrity Century 4/10, Celebrity Century 12/10, Radiance of the Seas 1/11, Disney Dream 10/11, Ruby Princess 1/12, Celebrity Century 5/12, Celebrity Reflection 12/12, Caribbean Princess 12/12, Golden Princess 9/13, Island Princess 9/13, Carnival Breeze 11/13, Royal Princess 11/13, Celebrity Constellation 2/14, Celebrity Century 2/14, Celebrity Century 4/14

273 days at sea; 44 more days booked!

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We went on a bridge tour on Infinity last week. We asked an officer while chatting to him in the martini bar one evening and he made a call to put us on the list. Couple of days later we got an invite which gave a time and place to meet and asked us not to tell anyone we were going. Very interesting.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feggers View Post
We went on a bridge tour on Infinity last week. We asked an officer while chatting to him in the martini bar one evening and he made a call to put us on the list. Couple of days later we got an invite which gave a time and place to meet and asked us not to tell anyone we were going. Very interesting.
How many were in your group?

Old April 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is there a charge for the Bridge Tour?

Old April 30th, 2012, 05:26 PM
10,000+ Club

There might be a charge -- Celebrity seems to be offering different kinds of "behind the scenes" tours -- there are free galley tours, and galley tours which have a fee involved (and often special food and drink). There are invitation-only sailaways on the helicopter pad which have no fee, and other sailaways which have fees. There might be both free and fee-charged bridge tours.

Old April 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you happen to have a Suite you could also ask your Butler; it's the kind of thing they can arrange.

Having been on a few bridge tours I found them interesting but a bit 'same-y'. Most modern ships have pretty similar equipment and I am not sure I would bother again.

To the poster who asked about charges, a standard bridge tour is free, but Celebrity have been offering special bridge tours where you are on the bridge for sailing out of port. They recognise this could be a revenue stream and make a charge.

Old April 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massnatives View Post
Is there a charge for the Bridge Tour?
No fee for a basic bridge tour which is frequently offered to Elite members or suite guests. We have sailed since the Concordia tragedy and it was still being offered. Celebrity and other lines are now offering an "All Access Tour" or something with a similar name, that includes an enhanced Bridge, Backstage, Engine Control Room, and Galley Tour, for what I consider to be an exorbitant price (usually in the $150 pp price range) considering what extras are included. Participation is severely limited (perhaps as few as 15 persons) and many of those who have taken it seem to be quite enthusiastic about their experience.

Old April 30th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

We recently went on the bridge tour. I believe we received the invite because we were Captain's Club Elite.
2003 Carnival Conquest
2004 Zenith (Spring)
2004 Zenith (Fall)
2006 Summit
2006 Carnival Victory
2007 Carnival Glory
2007 Summit
2009 Millennium
2011 Constellation
2012 Constellation
2013 Eclipse

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by negc View Post
No fee for a basic bridge tour which is frequently offered to Elite members or suite guests. .
My parents are in a suite... me and friend are not... I guess they won't let us go will they?

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyCruiser View Post
I've heard that bridge tours/visits have been suspended since the Concordia disater. I've also heard about some new regulations prohibiting unnecesary personnel on the bridge.
That restriction applies to times when the ship is entering or departing a congested shipping channel or harbor, when docking or when departing. It doesn't apply to open seas.

Here is the quote from CruiseCritic news page:

Bridge Access. In a statement, CLIA said that "bridge access will now be limited to those with operational functions during any period of restricted maneuvering or when increased vigilance is required." Spokesman David Peikin described the period for increased vigilance as "any time a vessel is constrained in its ability to freely navigate, such as in a restricted waterway/channel, entering a port, or an area where there is an unusually high volume or compression of vessel traffic." Concordia's captain, Franceso Schettino, was allegedly distracted by bridge guests at the time of the accident. He remains under house arrest on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.

Peikin added that he anticipated that the policy would add restrictions with regard to bridge tours, which are often part of "behind-the-scenes" activities offered to passengers.

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddsddean View Post
They did Eclipse tours a couple of years ago. Best bet is to go to Guest Relations and ask to be put on the list for bridge tours (which they'll say doesn't exist, but they'll ask you to keep quiet about it after putting you on the list!). Also, if you are Elite or something, ask the Captains Club host/hostess as well.

Simon
I've been on two Celebrity cruises and have been invited to the bridge tour both times. The first cruise I asked at Guest Relations, as sddsddean suggested. The next cruise everyone who attended the Connections Party was invited.

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogs View Post
I've been on two Celebrity cruises and have been invited to the bridge tour both times. The first cruise I asked at Guest Relations, as sddsddean suggested. The next cruise everyone who attended the Connections Party was invited.
How many was at your party?

We have 63 registered. I think that's a little too many.

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
That restriction applies to times when the ship is entering or departing a congested shipping channel or harbor, when docking or when departing. It doesn't apply to open seas.

Here is the quote from CruiseCritic news page:

Bridge Access. In a statement, CLIA said that "bridge access will now be limited to those with operational functions during any period of restricted maneuvering or when increased vigilance is required." Spokesman David Peikin described the period for increased vigilance as "any time a vessel is constrained in its ability to freely navigate, such as in a restricted waterway/channel, entering a port, or an area where there is an unusually high volume or compression of vessel traffic." Concordia's captain, Franceso Schettino, was allegedly distracted by bridge guests at the time of the accident. He remains under house arrest on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.

Peikin added that he anticipated that the policy would add restrictions with regard to bridge tours, which are often part of "behind-the-scenes" activities offered to passengers.

I had previously read about a sailaway bridge experience on Celebrity, I was hoping to sign up on my next cruise, but after reading the above, figured that wouldn't be available any more

Carnival Splendor 11/14

Legend of the Seas 3/15

Regal Princess 10/15
NY to FL Tommy's birthday cruise!
Celebrity Eclipse 1/16
CC angle balcony next to the pool!
Celebrity Constellation 3/16
Only if we can't make it to Hawaii
Celebrity Solstice 4/16
Maui for a few days, then Honolulu to Vancouver!

Ruby Princess 5/16

Past Adventures...
Legend of the Seas 7/98, Sea Princess 10/99, S/S Norway 2/00, Norwegian Majesty 10/00, Norwegian Wind 3/01, Carnival Triumph 11/01, S/S Norway 3/02, Carnival Spirit 1/03, Brilliance of the Seas 3/03, Brilliance of the Seas 1/04, Celebrity Summit 3/04, Caribbean Princess 3/05, Explorer of the Seas 10/05, Carnival Liberty 2/06, Majesty of the Seas 10/06, Freedom of the Seas 11/06, Carnival Miracle 2/07, Voyager of the Seas 11/07, Carnival Miracle 1/08, Emerald Princess 4/08, Carnival Pride 11/08, Carnival Liberty 1/09, Diamond Princess 8/09, Carnival Dream 2/10 B2B, Celebrity Century 4/10, Celebrity Century 12/10, Radiance of the Seas 1/11, Disney Dream 10/11, Ruby Princess 1/12, Celebrity Century 5/12, Celebrity Reflection 12/12, Caribbean Princess 12/12, Golden Princess 9/13, Island Princess 9/13, Carnival Breeze 11/13, Royal Princess 11/13, Celebrity Constellation 2/14, Celebrity Century 2/14, Celebrity Century 4/14

273 days at sea; 44 more days booked!

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerynSun_JohnCrighton View Post
How many was at your party?

We have 63 registered. I think that's a little too many.
They had several tours during our cruise. I seem to recall the maximum per tour is about 12 to 15 people. I know they had one before us, and one after us, so there were at least three that day alone, so they can easily accommodate all of you by inviting you to different tours. Besides, you may have 63 registered, but I would guess that some won't make an appearance to the party for various reasons. For our party group, we had to be there to sign up.

Last edited by boogs; April 30th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Old May 1st, 2012, 05:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
They had several tours during our cruise. I seem to recall the maximum per tour is about 12 to 15 people. I know they had one before us, and one after us, so there were at least three that day alone, so they can easily accommodate all of you by inviting you to different tours. Besides, you may have 63 registered, but I would guess that some won't make an appearance to the party for various reasons. For our party group, we had to be there to sign up.
Thanks,
I was hoping to sign dad up for the sailaway one, but I guess that they wont do that. I will keep my fingers crossed that they invite us- and maybe try to mention to Captain or butler (whoever I see) that dad and mom are celebrating 30th and he would love to see the bridge???