Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


 

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:00 AM
ollienbertsmum ollienbertsmum is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gibraltar
Posts: 1,236
Default UK price reduction - I am sort of happy

We were discussing this yesterday and I cannot find the thread so I had to start a new one.

As I said, I was going to check the prices and ring up RCI to see if I could get the small price reduction that has been shown for the last couple of weeks.

I got a shock when I checked the prices. Instead of being a total of £2000, the room total was £1200 - for exactly the same room.

So I rang. They offered to reduce my booking by the peanuts it was advertised at, because this rate was for new bookings only.

I cancelled and rebooked. Now DH is angry at losing the deposit and only just sees that it is so in our advantage to rebook, the £300 that we lost is now not worth crying over.

With or without the deposit, yesterday I was facing a bill of £1700, today it is £1200.

I know it was unwise to book ahead, especially as we are driving to the ship so airfares did not come into the equation.

The whole policy does sour my RCI experience quite honestly.
__________________
Ollie, Bert and their Mum

Voyager of the Seas July 2006 Western Med 2292
Jewel of the Seas July 2007 Baltic -cant remember the stateroom, I just remember that we had a brilliant time!
Adventure of the Seas July 2010 Western Med 7289
Liberty of the Seas July 2011 Western Med 7331 and 7329
Adventure of the Seas July 2012 Western Med (they just get better) 6616
Norwegian Epic July 2013 - Western Med well at least we are going on a different line this time

so many more cruises to come I hope

Last edited by ollienbertsmum; April 30th, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Paulxyz2004 Paulxyz2004 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,315
Default

So what´s it? Sort of happyor sour taste?

If it´s really leaving you with a sour taste, I think you need to reconsider your business decisions for the future.

It´s not as if there´s no options. Tons of different cruiselines out there, as well as options to book through other countries than the UK.

BTW,
you are lucky your cancel and rebook at a "for new bookings only" rate went through, as -according to many posts here - these things are frequently caught by RCI and red flagged.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:31 AM
ollienbertsmum ollienbertsmum is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gibraltar
Posts: 1,236
Default

Paul, it is difficult to say how I feel. I sure am glad that my bill is lower, I think it is knowing the different policies for different countries just makes me cross. I will certainly try my hardest to make a US booking next time.

I don't understand what you mean about the rate going through. You mean they won't let you book after losing your deposit? That would be crazy. Maybe it does happen. I certainly would have cancelled the whole trip and left it at that if so.
__________________
Ollie, Bert and their Mum

Voyager of the Seas July 2006 Western Med 2292
Jewel of the Seas July 2007 Baltic -cant remember the stateroom, I just remember that we had a brilliant time!
Adventure of the Seas July 2010 Western Med 7289
Liberty of the Seas July 2011 Western Med 7331 and 7329
Adventure of the Seas July 2012 Western Med (they just get better) 6616
Norwegian Epic July 2013 - Western Med well at least we are going on a different line this time

so many more cruises to come I hope

Last edited by ollienbertsmum; April 30th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:09 AM
marci22's Avatar
marci22 marci22 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 10,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulxyz2004 View Post
BTW,
you are lucky your cancel and rebook at a "for new bookings only" rate went through, as -according to many posts here - these things are frequently caught by RCI and red flagged.
They said that to me once when I wanted a reduction ('new bookings only'). I said I would cancel, and they told me I could not rebook. I said once I pay my cancellation fees I should be able to rebook anything I want and they agreed. I saved about $1100 on 2 cabins even after paying the fee. Since then I have tried to book more carefully.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:29 AM
ollienbertsmum ollienbertsmum is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gibraltar
Posts: 1,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci22 View Post
They said that to me once when I wanted a reduction ('new bookings only'). I said I would cancel, and they told me I could not rebook. I said once I pay my cancellation fees I should be able to rebook anything I want and they agreed. I saved about $1100 on 2 cabins even after paying the fee. Since then I have tried to book more carefully.

It would be ridiculous to say that you could not just lose your deposit and rebook. You could rebook with husband as first passenger and him 'taking' you. Such silly rules.

I saved that amount on one cabin which was why I am really in shock. Ironically I have not been checking daily, I just happened to check because today I had time to spare and I was going to ask for the $100 reduction that had been showing for a few weeks to be applied.
__________________
Ollie, Bert and their Mum

Voyager of the Seas July 2006 Western Med 2292
Jewel of the Seas July 2007 Baltic -cant remember the stateroom, I just remember that we had a brilliant time!
Adventure of the Seas July 2010 Western Med 7289
Liberty of the Seas July 2011 Western Med 7331 and 7329
Adventure of the Seas July 2012 Western Med (they just get better) 6616
Norwegian Epic July 2013 - Western Med well at least we are going on a different line this time

so many more cruises to come I hope
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:01 PM
wulber's Avatar
wulber wulber is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: uk
Posts: 164
Default

Well done.You just have to remind yourself you are £500 better off than you were yesterday.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:03 PM
ollienbertsmum ollienbertsmum is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gibraltar
Posts: 1,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulber View Post
Well done.You just have to remind yourself you are £500 better off than you were yesterday.
Yes and it really is thanks to Cruise critics because yesterday's thread made me resolve to ring today and lo and behold the price had suddenly done a nose dive.
Yes I really at the end of today, after a glass of wine I really do feel quite thankful.
__________________
Ollie, Bert and their Mum

Voyager of the Seas July 2006 Western Med 2292
Jewel of the Seas July 2007 Baltic -cant remember the stateroom, I just remember that we had a brilliant time!
Adventure of the Seas July 2010 Western Med 7289
Liberty of the Seas July 2011 Western Med 7331 and 7329
Adventure of the Seas July 2012 Western Med (they just get better) 6616
Norwegian Epic July 2013 - Western Med well at least we are going on a different line this time

so many more cruises to come I hope
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:19 PM
littlesteelo littlesteelo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 1,479
Default

Just noticed the insane price drops in the UK. 14th July 14 nights £1099 down from nearly £1300 last week. Luckily mine hasn't dropped - I would guess it is the most popular summer one out of the UK so that would explain why. Plus I got some lovely OBC with mine.
__________________
Upcoming Cruises:
None
Previous Cruises:
Emerald Princess 14 Nights Mediterranean Adventurer 12th July 2014
Independence of the Seas 14 nights Spanish Mediterranean 27th July 2013
Independence of the Seas 14 nights Italian Mediterranean 28th July 2012
Ventura 14 nights Western Mediterranean 30th July 2011
Independence of the Seas 14 nights Italian Mediterranean 17th July 2010
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:32 PM
wulber's Avatar
wulber wulber is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: uk
Posts: 164
Default

I'm waiting to hear back from someone tomorrow.
I've been told the revenue dept has ok'd something and the supervisor is waiting on the line managers approval for it.
Not sure what.Either the upgrade or the price drop but I'll find out tomorrow hopefully.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
wulber's Avatar
wulber wulber is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: uk
Posts: 164
Default

well no one phoned me so I phoned today to be told it was too late for the upgrade as there was no balcony gty available(I saw that already online) so I was very angry and said this should have been sorted out before now especially as I had been told that it was just waiting on the manager authorising it.Iwas told it would be passed to manager of the dept.
I phoned back as I didn't want to wait again for a phone call and was told the only thing I would be offered was $150pp obc which I'm not happy about after losing out on the upgrade. She said I couldn't get the price drop and there was no one else I could speak to as the renenue dept had made this decision.I said I wasn't sure and she said I had till the end of today to decde and call back.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by wulber; May 2nd, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
leeselee leeselee is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: london
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollienbertsmum View Post
We were discussing this yesterday and I cannot find the thread so I had to start a new one.

As I said, I was going to check the prices and ring up RCI to see if I could get the small price reduction that has been shown for the last couple of weeks.

I got a shock when I checked the prices. Instead of being a total of £2000, the room total was £1200 - for exactly the same room.

So I rang. They offered to reduce my booking by the peanuts it was advertised at, because this rate was for new bookings only.

I cancelled and rebooked. Now DH is angry at losing the deposit and only just sees that it is so in our advantage to rebook, the £300 that we lost is now not worth crying over.

With or without the deposit, yesterday I was facing a bill of £1700, today it is £1200.

I know it was unwise to book ahead, especially as we are driving to the ship so airfares did not come into the equation.

The whole policy does sour my RCI experience quite honestly.
I still think it is wiser to book early.

I booked about a year in advance for our next cruise and as well as receiving a large amount of OBC, I can now clearly see our cruise and cabin type has gone up by £1,700

Also, booking early will guarantee you get the best cabin in the category you require.

I always worry that my purchase, whether it be a holiday or a handbag, will go down in price - my husband says to pay for it and then don't price check it again!

I don't find that easy, I always look
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
wulber's Avatar
wulber wulber is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: uk
Posts: 164
Default

Update.
I just got a call from RCI saying that a balcony was available and we got the upgrade.
Great I can't wait !!
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
lacey jane lacey jane is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: highlands scotland
Posts: 118
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesteelo View Post
Just noticed the insane price drops in the UK. 14th July 14 nights £1099 down from nearly £1300 last week. Luckily mine hasn't dropped - I would guess it is the most popular summer one out of the UK so that would explain why. Plus I got some lovely OBC with mine.
my cruise last october dropped by £800 after i had paid the final payment and i got £775 refunded, that was with a big TA, we have booked a cruise for september and im hoping for another big price drop xxx
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:22 AM
Elaine0138 Elaine0138 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Fife Scotland
Posts: 2,311
Default

Must admit RCI and Celebrity have always passed on any price drops to us, the problem I had in the past was getting the TA's to contact the cruise line to do the paperwork. No reduction for us on our November cruise, our category of cabin is showing sold out but will check a bit nearer the time just incase.
__________________
Elaine

Adventure of the Seas 2012
Eclipse 2013
Equinox 2014

Last edited by Elaine0138; May 3rd, 2012 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:18 AM
antsp's Avatar
antsp antsp is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeselee View Post
I still think it is wiser to book early.

I booked about a year in advance for our next cruise and as well as receiving a large amount of OBC, I can now clearly see our cruise and cabin type has gone up by £1,700

Also, booking early will guarantee you get the best cabin in the category you require.

I always worry that my purchase, whether it be a holiday or a handbag, will go down in price - my husband says to pay for it and then don't price check it again!

I don't find that easy, I always look
Wise to book early??? My mother in law has booked IOS sailing this may for £2400 for 2 in a inside cabin. My sister in law has Just booked this week for £1320 for 2 for a gty inside. Who is the wise one
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:16 AM
isdoo isdoo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesteelo View Post
Just noticed the insane price drops in the UK. 14th July 14 nights £1099 down from nearly £1300 last week. Luckily mine hasn't dropped - I would guess it is the most popular summer one out of the UK so that would explain why. Plus I got some lovely OBC with mine.
That is for a guarantee inside.

Sadly as we have two cabins on that cruise, we cannot go for the GTY, even though we would probably save around £2,000 by doing so! As the cabins would probably be too far apart.
__________________
Ian

My Summer Cruise Blog
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
DrSeuss's Avatar
DrSeuss DrSeuss is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 939
Default

Royal Caribbean really do need to clarify the price drop situation and make it transparent for everyone to check if a new price is that one you are eligible for. Its just unfortunate that they drop the price like my situation after final payment you cant book and just loose the deposit.
__________________
Mariner of the seas. July 2005
Adventure of the seas July 2007. B2B
Serenade of the seas. July 2009. B2B
Disney Magic 2011
Freedom of the Seas July 2012 B2B





[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/URhttp://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sandisk-64gb-extreme-pro-95mb-sec-sdxc-card/p1527828L]
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
suekay suekay is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdoo View Post
That is for a guarantee inside.

Sadly as we have two cabins on that cruise, we cannot go for the GTY, even though we would probably save around £2,000 by doing so! As the cabins would probably be too far apart.
We have booked guarantee cabins three times, and each time the 2 or 4 cabins were together. Maybe we were lucky, but it seems to work for us
__________________
suekeelan at hotmail dot com
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
I'll give it a go I'll give it a go is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: cheshire United Kingdom
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdoo View Post
That is for a guarantee inside.

Sadly as we have two cabins on that cruise, we cannot go for the GTY, even though we would probably save around £2,000 by doing so! As the cabins would probably be too far apart.
just to let you know I booked on Independence two weeks ago for 11th August 2 x inside GTY receive stateroom numbers a week after booking and they are together.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:45 PM
kenevenpar's Avatar
kenevenpar kenevenpar is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 1,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulber View Post
Update.
I just got a call from RCI saying that a balcony was available and we got the upgrade.
Great I can't wait !!
Outstanding! Have a great time on your balcony!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.