Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cabin Selection Tips

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cabin Selection Tips Help on how to choose a cabin on a cruise ship.

How To Choose A Cabin from Cruise Critic
Offer up your opinions on selecting the best cabin.

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnival Magic cabins for 5?

Hi, I'll be on the Carnival Magic in October with my husband and 3 small kids. First cruise. My travel agent reserved an ocean view category 6N rm 1394 but we haven't finalized the booking. It has 2 twins, two drop-down beds, and a convertible sofa. (Unfortunately the twins will not convert to a king when the drop-down bed is used because the ladder comes down between the twin beds.) Anyway, it's on the lowest level of the ship. I tried looking at the deck plan but didn't see any other room categories that would accommodate 5 people. Anyone know if that's true? Are there no balcony cabins that would sleep 5? Or cabins for 5 on any other level?

Perhaps the lowest level will be fine. I'm just thinking about all the walking up and down with a preschooler.

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow-K View Post
Hi, I'll be on the Carnival Magic in October with my husband and 3 small kids. First cruise. My travel agent reserved an ocean view category 6N rm 1394 but we haven't finalized the booking. It has 2 twins, two drop-down beds, and a convertible sofa. (Unfortunately the twins will not convert to a king when the drop-down bed is used because the ladder comes down between the twin beds.) Anyway, it's on the lowest level of the ship. I tried looking at the deck plan but didn't see any other room categories that would accommodate 5 people. Anyone know if that's true? Are there no balcony cabins that would sleep 5? Or cabins for 5 on any other level?

Perhaps the lowest level will be fine. I'm just thinking about all the walking up and down with a preschooler.
This is one reason we changed from Carnival to Royal Caribbean. I don't know the reasoning, but on the new carnival ships they made only the family OV cabins for 5 people. The older carnival ships (imagination for example) will sleep 5 in their grand suite, but not the new ships. My husband refuses to cruise without a balcony, and being our kids are still too young for their own balcony or cabin (ages 8, 4 and 4), Carnival just isn't an option for us now. It is sad, we are carnival past guest, and now have to change cruise lines. I would be hesistant to stay with 5 in the family oceanview because the cabin size but that is my opinion. Have you checked 2 connecting Ocean view cabins for more space and maybe a higher deck? Just make sure they are connecting and not just next door to each other.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Charter Member - 10,000+ Club

It might be cheaper for you to book a balcony and an inside cabin across the hall.

Everyone can sleep in the balcony room and use the inside for storage (and taking showers.

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old May 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I'll ask about a balcony/interior combo, hadn't thought of that. I did get a quote for joining rooms and it didn't seem worth the cost. I really would like a balcony if possible but watching the budget too. Anyway it's not a deal-breaker, we're sure to have a great vacation no matter where the pillow plops.

Old May 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

You can make the two twins into a king and opt not to use the ladder. The person using the pulldwon above the king will just have to hop up from the king bed or the other pulldown. I have seen pictures of this and confirmed with John Heald that they will allow you to do this.

We are also a family of 5. On our last cruise, we got 2 connecting OV rooms and loved it....it made it seem like a suite, but on our next cruise on the Breeze, two rooms is out of our budget, so we are going with a 6N as well. On the newer ships, the 6Ns are the only ones that sleep five and they are all on the 1st level. If you want a balcony, unfortunately you will have to get two that connect. Its frustrating for sure. I wish there were more options for us!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Past Cruises:

June '03 - Ecstasy - Ensenada
August '11 - Splendor - Mexican Riviera

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info on the king bed. Definitely would like to try that. Do you know where I could see a picture?

Last edited by Rainbow-K; May 20th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow-K View Post
Thanks for the info on the king bed. Definitely would like to try that. Do you know where I could see a picture?

Here is a link to another thread about the same topic. It has a picture in it. You cant see the sofa bed in the picture, but you can see how the upper is situated over the king. Hope this helps!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1636225

Past Cruises:

June '03 - Ecstasy - Ensenada
August '11 - Splendor - Mexican Riviera