assist card for travel insurance

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:57 PM.
3,656 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
Originally posted by sharbin1
Maybe I will. There are so many good travel insurance companies to choose from that it's a shame when a fellow cruiser unknowingly chooses this one.
It sounds like you got your money back for the cruise. Were there other trip arrangements you insured like air flights? If not, was your only loss the cancellation fee charged by the agency?

The reason I ask is that you would not have prepaid that cancellation fee. It would only be charged if you have to cancel. This is important because the plan has the following:

"The Company will pay for the following:
a) unused, non-refundable land or sea expenses prepaid to the Participating Organization."

If that's the case then the denial of the claim, while handled extremely poorly, may have been correct.
East Texas
192 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
We did prepay a fee to the travel agency, it was charged when we booked our cruise along with the cruise deposit and that is what we didn't get back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharbin

Seawind Crown; Renaissance IV &VIII; Enchanted Isle; Carnival Glory,Pride,Freedom & Magic; Grand Princess,Caribbean Princess, Diamond Princess & Regal Princess; Celebrity Summit & Millenium; NCL Sun; HAL Maasdam, Veendam, Noordam & Statendam; RCI Jewel of the Seas & Brilliance of the Seas; Disney Wonder & Magic; Viking Helvitia

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]
Tacoma, Wa, USA
8,075 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
We did prepay a fee to the travel agency, it was charged when we booked our cruise along with the cruise deposit and that is what we didn't get back.
Did you prepay the insurance premium and that's what you didn't get back? Insurance premiums are not refundable.
3,656 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
If the agency charged you some kind of booking fee, the fee may not fall under the definition of something the insurer will pay for:

"The Company will pay for the following:
a) unused, non-refundable land or sea expenses prepaid to the Participating Organization."

Unfortunately, when looking up the plan's definition of "Land or Sea Arrangements" you get only the following which does absolutely nothing to clear up what can or cannot be insured:

""Land/Sea Arrangements” means land and or sea arrangements made by the Participating Organization."

If they're denying the claim because a "booking fee" doesn't meet this definition of a "land or sea expense" then they might be making the proper claim decision. I'm not saying it's the decision I would have made but given the general vagueness of the definition it might be understandable. I just don't know -- some lawyer once told me that vagueness is generally decided in the favor of whomever didn't write the contract but I don't know how that would help you much.

You can of course get a better decision on this by appealing the matter to your state's department of insurance. But I think a good first course of action might be to contact the travel agency first and try to get them to refund the booking fee to you directly as a customer goodwill gesture. It just seems petty for them to keep the fee plus the commission they made on the sale of the insurance in light of the fact that the cancellation was for a legitimate medical reason.
USA
23 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
My husband made a claim for delayed luggage from Assistcard - he has an annual travel insurance. The claim was submitted almost nine months ago and when I followed it up by calling the company directly instead of the insurance agent who sold us the policy, I was told that the claim had been denied.
They never even contacted us to advise us and this was a valid claim.
I don't recommend you get your travel insurance from Assistcard...they said my husband should have filed the complaint within twenty four hours. He was on travelling in and out of Europe without his luggage and he had to purchase decent apparel to use for his various meetings. He was bogged down with complaining to the airlines and trying to outfit himself. He eventually got his luggage after four days but he had a frustrating time following up the airlines. The airlines, Singapore Airlines, have still not settled so I thought to contact Assistcard but they are also quite uncaring and don't seem to be concerned about attending to claims. I would not have found out that they denied the claim since they never wrote or communicated with us. I was calling to renew the policy and follow up on the complaint and that is when I found out that they would not reimburse my husband for his expenses.