Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Ocean Village

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default ocean village to ventura

Having sailed on both ocean village ships we have now booked on to ventura next march from barbados to southampton. Any ex ov ers going on this cruise

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

...like you, have been on OV1 and miss it like crazy....but have booked Ventura for end of January...a bit apprehensive, but we won't know until we try. If it goes pear shaped, there's always the bar(s)....

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default ocean village to ventura

Confirmed OV1 people here,but last week had a week on Ventura.She is a very big ship,but quite easy to get round.Myself and Mrs WB91 do not do formal.This was not a problem to us and did not stop us getting into the theatres or entertainment venues on the two formal nights they had.We ate each night in The Beach House which was waiter service.We were supposed to be seated at a table for eight in one of the formal restaurants.Needless to say we were never near the place.
On the formal nights there were quite a lot of people like us,so eventually all us ex OV1 people will take over

Old May 24th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great post Well Boy . Made me smile anyway .

Old June 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi all Mandy and myself are ex OVers and if it weren't for that lovely classic art deco ship we probably wouldn't be into cruising.
But we are and we love it. Ventura is the nearest thing to OV you will ever find. You don't have to participate in the formal nights, but the truth is it's lovely.
OV wasn't about rebelling, it was an introduction to the cruise scene. But at the end of the day it worked on us lol.
We love dressing up !
BTW the beach house is the nuts !!!!
Stitch x

OV1 - Caribbean - Dec 2003, Island Escape - Med - July 2004, OV1 - Caribbean - Mar 2005, P&O Oceana - Europe - Oct 2005, P&O Arcadia - Panama Canal - 16-31 Dec 2005, MS Royal Star - Indian Ocean - May 2006, Louis Calypso - Europe - July 2006, Easycruiseone - French Riviera - Aug 2006, P&O Aurora - Europe - Sep 2006, OV1 - Caribbean - Dec 2006, RCCI Voyager of the Seas - Med - May 2007, P&O Arcadia - Party Weekend - Aug 2007, Easycruiseone - Greek Isles - Aug 2007, OV1 - Western Caribbean - Dec 2007, Carnival Splendor - Inaugural cruise - July 2008, Norwegian Jewel - Mini-cruise - 9-11 Aug 2008, Easycruiseone - Greek Isles - Aug 2008, P&O Ventura - Caribbean - 15-29 Jan 2010,
RCCI Independence of the Seas - Mini-Cruise - 2nd-5th June 2010, P&O Arcadia - Mini-Cruise - 17th-20th Sept 2010

Old June 19th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

we are ex Ov--ers. and have done Ventura -- Initially she is far too big -- but once you get bearings simialr -ish lay out - beatifull decor --no *tatty bits* (Both OV's were getting shabby)
The formal, is formal if you want to be -- must say most Guys did dress up (women just wore same gear as OV anyway)
If you are not *dressed-up* thier is also no problem walking around ship (shops/bars etc)- or eating in buffet etc and we never found anyone *frowned* on fact if you were not in penguin suits.
I would def go for the *anytime dining* the *early sittings* seems to be the *older P & O-ers* so they had all tended to have gone to bed by the time the *youngers* left eating places.
The buffet is small and not on parr with OV in the slightest -- but if you want to see a show - sadly the buffet was best option as the resturants tend to use the biggest part of evening up - the same as if you go out for a meal in UK -- it can be a 4 hr thing -- ok, but not if you want to see shows etc .

Far far too many static destinations to mention --- Had many cruises and a lot on Ocean Village and have loved everyone. R.I.P to a great Brand

On Ventura AGAIN in Sept .....

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

we were in the caribbean with OV1 feb 2010 and again with Ventura jan 2011.
We enjoyed the V , sat at a table of eight and dressed in my £50 M&S DJ. We would both sail on the V again (plus it was £1500 cheaper than OV).
sailing on grandeur of the seas in october , we would never had cruised if it wasnt for OV and if the brand was brought out of retirement we would be back on board . I think V is a good successor as a cruise for all.
PS never mind bating the PO boards you should try the RCI board . I was called cheap tonight lol

Ventura Caribbean Jan 2011
OV 1 Caribbean Feb 2010
OV 2 Eastern Med May 2009
OV 2 Western Med July 2008
OV 2 Western Med July 2007

Old August 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

lol @ the Cheap !

Far far too many static destinations to mention --- Had many cruises and a lot on Ocean Village and have loved everyone. R.I.P to a great Brand

On Ventura AGAIN in Sept .....

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default OV to Ventura update

Just come back from transatlantic on ventura and here is my comments. If you can progress as I did from the formal nights it is better than OVs. Never seemed crowded if you have a balcony and food was better. For once size does matter as there are four pools and a lot of Jacuzzis around the ship. I am now a big ship convert but am booked on Thomson Spirit in august will I have enough room.
Kept an eye open for ex OVers sporting their tattoos but found more than ever saw on two OV trips.
Cant wait for the new P&O large ship in three years, maybe Ventura will be OV3 by then

Old May 4th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ocean village-Thomson Dream

I have only cruised twice, both on OV and both Transatlantic,which we enjoyed. Booked today for my 60th birthday, the Transatlantic, Barbados-Tenerife on 7th April 2013, 19 nights, on Thomson Dream.