Royal Caribbean President & CEO Discusses Onboard Alcohol Policies

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

#81
Ohio
529 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by msw1023
I have never understood why someone would pay all that money for a cruise and then proceed to spend even more to get so drunk that they black out and can't remember half of their vacation, and feel like crap for the rest.
Yeah, I know that most don't set out to do this, they just keep drinking, I know for some kids h
they don't have the experience with alcohol...but really, where's the fun in any of that?

I agree with you on this. I have had friends ask me about my drinking on the ship and getting drunk. I always tell them, "if I want to get that f^&$#@ up, I sure as hell wouldn't spend thousands of dollars for a cruise to do it. I'd stay at home." I travel solo a lot and the one thing I always do is stay aware of my surroundings. You can't do that with a brain foggy from alcohol. I'm no prude and I have my share of drinks, but I know my limit. I may not remember everything that happens on my cruise, but that's due more to age than to drinking. (LOL)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sheila









#82
Rhode Island
8,709 Posts
Joined May 2008
Sorry to offend anyone here regarding the drinking age but I spent a career in Law Enforcement in a college town. When the drinking age was 18, all we did was run was run from one bar to the next breaking up fights between 18 to 21 year olds. That was mixed in with the serious and some times fatal accidents. The drinking age was raised incrementally and slowly our assaults, fights, and accidents began to drop. Many of the bars either went out of business or had to become restaurants.

After retiring, I moved on to a management position in college campus security. If you think 18 to 20 year olds should be allowed to drink, I implore you to walk though a closed non-dry college campus late on a Thursday or Friday night and it just may change your mind. They can't handle it and while my campus couldn't stop it, at least they made every attempt to keep the kids on campus to protect them from themselves or hurting others in the community. Almost half of our officers were certified as EMT's. They bounced from call to call for fights and alcohol poisoning. We had kids code from alcohol poisoning who would be drinking the following weekend. While I sympathize with those that go to war at a young age, as a police officer in my early years, they were as bad as the college kids. What has changed?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#83
Northeast
13,015 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by BND
Which they already do for some things. There's rules about profanity, linking to other sites, questioning mods, so why not rules about not being able to discuss how to skirt rules?
Any kind of smuggling thread gets a lot of views. I'm guessing that cc would rather have more views than banning discussions on how to skirt the rules.

btw Disboards deletes all discussions relating to how to get around rules.
#84
Virginia
10,300 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by marci22
Any kind of smuggling thread gets a lot of views. I'm guessing that cc would rather have more views than banning discussions on how to skirt the rules.

btw Disboards deletes all discussions relating to how to get around rules.
I'm a member on Disboards too. It does make for a much more civil board and a lot less arguing when the rules are the rules.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
+













Grandeur of the Seas 08 April 2017
Grandeur of the Seas 31 Oct 2016
Celebrity Summit 24 July 2016
Anthem of the Seas 08 April 2016
Vision of the Seas 30 Nov 2015
Carnival Sunshine 07 Feb 2015
Grandeur of the Seas 01 Nov 2014
Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005
#85
40 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by SPDBigG
Sorry to offend anyone here regarding the drinking age but I spent a career in Law Enforcement in a college town. When the drinking age was 18, all we did was run was run from one bar to the next breaking up fights between 18 to 21 year olds. That was mixed in with the serious and some times fatal accidents. The drinking age was raised incrementally and slowly our assaults, fights, and accidents began to drop. Many of the bars either went out of business or had to become restaurants.

After retiring, I moved on to a management position in college campus security. If you think 18 to 20 year olds should be allowed to drink, I implore you to walk though a closed non-dry college campus late on a Thursday or Friday night and it just may change your mind. They can't handle it and while my campus couldn't stop it, at least they made every attempt to keep the kids on campus to protect them from themselves or hurting others in the community. Almost half of our officers were certified as EMT's. They bounced from call to call for fights and alcohol poisoning. We had kids code from alcohol poisoning who would be drinking the following weekend. While I sympathize with those that go to war at a young age, as a police officer in my early years, they were as bad as the college kids. What has changed?
In your experience what is it about Americans that make it that they can't handle their liquor at a young age? So much so that is has to be made illegal.

If you look at the drinking ages around the world the USA has the highest age of all of the countries in the world.
The vast majority of countries have a drinking age of 18. It's just the USA and some Muslim countries that go as high as 21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age
#86
New York
5,068 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Hunwolf
Rules are only "rules" to certain people when they are ok with it.
OMG around here-with some that it so obvious. Follow the rules as long as I agree with it. Don't agree- Write 'Adam', find a way around it, tweak it so it sounds like something different or, keep calling until you get the answer you want to hear..................
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2005
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 2006
RCCL Adventure of the Seas 2008
RCCL Serenade of the Seas 2010
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 2012
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2013

RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2014

NCL Breakaway 2015
RCCL Independance of the Seas 2016
NCL Pearl 2017
Next Up:
NCL Getaway Maybe??
#87
Huntsville, Alabama
1,138 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Debde
OMG around here-with some that it so obvious. Follow the rules as long as I agree with it. Don't agree- Write 'Adam', find a way around it, tweak it so it sounds like something different or, keep calling until you get the answer you want to hear..................
Yep. For some people it's all about them.
#88
Rhode Island
8,709 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by mktt
In your experience what is it about Americans that make it that they can't handle their liquor at a young age? So much so that is has to be made illegal.

If you look at the drinking ages around the world the USA has the highest age of all of the countries in the world.
The vast majority of countries have a drinking age of 18. It's just the USA and some Muslim countries that go as high as 21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age
Good question. I guess you would need to experience different cultures in order to have some understanding. It almost seems like a right of passage in college. The problem is some leave with addictions and some never make it at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#90
Philly burbs, PA.
10,765 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by kevinsgirl88
i know for a fact that if your under 21 leaving from a US port you are not allowed to drink. i was 22 when i went on my cruise and i had to carry my lisence around cause the wait staff and bartenders did not beleave me that i was 22 lol
Interesting as - at least on RCI - your DOB confirmed by your legal ID is part of your boarding docs and is reconfirmed at the time of boading. Your picture ID'd room key is also visibly and electronically coded with your age which is the final ID measure for a bartender serving you. The room key is also necessary to be provided by you when purchasing drinks. No need to carry a license as they wouldn't need to card you further.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI/Celebrity cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
Adventure (3 times)
Voyager
Navigator (twice)
Mariner
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom
Allure
Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox 7/17
Anthem 8/17
Harmony 3/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19

Upcoming:







#91
Columbus, OH USA
26,353 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by critterchick
How much more can they crack down?? They already have a pretty thorough procedure. I think the bartenders are going to be instructed to err on the side of underserving. And I hope that they aren't punished if somebody who is cut off complains on a comment card...
You would sure hope so, having served at charity functions in the states, they err on the side of caution ,but our salary didn't depend on customer satisfaction. Like a previous poster, I try to avoid cruising during spring break, but in two cruise that were just outside of most spring break schedules, the only underage drinking was 18-10 years old's on shore.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1st cruise 4/29/06 RCCL Voyager of the Seas. - Eastern Caribbean.
2nd cruise - 5/11/07 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas. MOTHER'S day cruise!
3rd cruise - 4/27/08 Freedom of the Seas -Western Caribbean. Freedom's 100th cruise!
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise
7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route
9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas Halloween in Key West
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
11th cruise 4/26/15 Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean
12th cruise 4/30/16 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean
13th cruise 10/17/16 Majesty of the Seas 4 day from Port Canaveral Bahamas
14th cruise 4/29/17 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean ABC islands.
81 great night's sleep

21 days on an Oasis class, 19 days on a Voyager class,15 days on a Sovereign class ship, 14 days on a Freedom class, 12 days on a Radiance class, .








My long signature will annoy some people. I'm ok with that.
#92
12,563 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
Interesting as - at least on RCI - your DOB confirmed by your legal ID is part of your boarding docs and is reconfirmed at the time of boading. Your picture ID'd room key is also visibly and electronically coded with your age which is the final ID measure for a bartender serving you. The room key is also necessary to be provided by you when purchasing drinks. No need to carry a license as they wouldn't need to card you further.
Not true at all. There have been many posts here from younger posters who have been asked for additional ID whether it was when they were ordering a drink by the pool or in the casino. Young adults share IDs with other young adults who might not be quite "of age". Plus, not everywhere has the ability to bring up your picture when they run your seapass card. If you don't look 21 or older, carry a license.
#93
Philly burbs, PA.
10,765 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by reallyitsmema
Not true at all. There have been many posts here from younger posters who have been asked for additional ID whether it was when they were ordering a drink by the pool or in the casino. Young adults share IDs with other young adults who might not be quite "of age". Plus, not everywhere has the ability to bring up your picture when they run your seapass card. If you don't look 21 or older, carry a license.
Not saying it doesn't happen - just saying that the seapass serves as your legal ID on board which carries your age, etc. But if someone is intent on breaking the law they will and you're right, the license ID is a final way to confirm who's who - just shouldn't be necessary. I doubt that (with maybe the exception of the short "party cruises") it is a major issue - at least it hasn't seemed to be in our experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI/Celebrity cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
Adventure (3 times)
Voyager
Navigator (twice)
Mariner
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom
Allure
Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox 7/17
Anthem 8/17
Harmony 3/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19

Upcoming:







#94
NJ
5,756 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
Not saying it doesn't happen - just saying that the seapass serves as your legal ID on board which carries your age, etc. But if someone is intent on breaking the law they will and you're right, the license ID is a final way to confirm who's who - just shouldn't be necessary. I doubt that (with maybe the exception of the short "party cruises") it is a major issue - at least it hasn't seemed to be in our experience.
Think about how many places they swipe the seapass but have no way to see the associated picture. By having the other picture ID they can take a quick look. Does it happen all the time, no, but I bet more often than you realize.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up -
None

Previous -


RC Jewel - Southern - 2/17 ** RC Anthem - Bermuda - 8/6 ** RC Jewel - Pacific Coastal - 10/15 ** RC Quantum - Nowhere - 11/14 ** RC Vision - Western - 8/14 ** RC Allure - Western - 6/13 ** RC Allure - Eastern - 6/12 ** RC Navigator - Med - 8/11 ** RC Mariner - Mexican Riviera - 8/09 ** NCL Gem - Cruise to Nowhere - 1/09 ** RC Freedom - Eastern - 11/08 ** RC Explorer - Bermuda - 6/08 ** RC Mariner - Western - 6/07 ** Carnival Glory - Western - 6/06 ** RC Majesty - Bahamas - 11/04 ** Carnival Imagination - Key West/Cozumel - 10/03 ** Carnival Holiday - Western - 5/88
#95
Virginia
10,300 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
Interesting as - at least on RCI - your DOB confirmed by your legal ID is part of your boarding docs and is reconfirmed at the time of boading. Your picture ID'd room key is also visibly and electronically coded with your age which is the final ID measure for a bartender serving you. The room key is also necessary to be provided by you when purchasing drinks. No need to carry a license as they wouldn't need to card you further.
This has come up before. They cannot see your pic at all locations where they serve alcohol. Your photo in your seapass card is mainly there for boarding to confirm the person getting on the ship matches the card. The picture is not there for the bartenders/waitstaff to confirm your identity. Others have reported that they do ask for ID if they think someone is under age or close to it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
+













Grandeur of the Seas 08 April 2017
Grandeur of the Seas 31 Oct 2016
Celebrity Summit 24 July 2016
Anthem of the Seas 08 April 2016
Vision of the Seas 30 Nov 2015
Carnival Sunshine 07 Feb 2015
Grandeur of the Seas 01 Nov 2014
Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005
#97
Olive Branch MS USA
29 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by will work to cruise
Tabloid TV!
Originally posted by kevinsgirl88
i know for a fact that if your under 21 leaving from a US port you are not allowed to drink. i was 22 when i went on my cruise and i had to carry my lisence around cause the wait staff and bartenders did not beleave me that i was 22 lol
I would think that a 22 year old could spell better....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#99
Philly
662 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I've often been carded on cruises but walking up to the bar and ordering a drink isn't the only way to get one. Where there's a will there's a way right? It will be interesting to see if there's a major crack down on ID-ing and smugglers this weekend. Neither worry me... happy to buy drinks on board and show my license to get em.
Georgia
489 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
To 4bythebeach....yes, we do send 18 year olds to war, but if I remember from my Marine Corps days, drinking while on duty was a very serious offense. Getting 'blottoed' can cause bad decision making no matter how old you are. Drunks impose their envioronment on passengers that want a quiet and relaxing voyage. We have had to move out of a bar on several times beacuse of this behavior....the Jewel and the Freedom seem to be the worst offenders. In one instance on the Freedom, we hadn't even left port and two guys were helping a very drunk 40 something lady in the elevator.....I think she stayed in that condition most of the trip as others were referring to her as the 'margarita lady'.