Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Closed Thread

Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDMan View Post
Oh yes, definitely. I was in my suit during dinner but changed into khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt after dinner, and was asked by a polite yet snooty Celebrity employee to please observe the evening dress code for the theater.
Another person who needs retraining....

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you look back a few days in the threads I posted a similar question, but also asking what people really wear in Blu. There were some thoughtful and helpful replies. You may want to look at this thread:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1622686
Independence of the Seas Nov 2011 Med
9 RCI Cruises 1998-2010,
Hurtigruten Midnastol 2009
Cruise West 2003
Sea Princess 2000
American Queen 1998

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Have been in AQ class several times on various ships. For formal nights in Blu, the majority of men wore jackets (either tux, suit, or sport coat). Because we hate packing formal attire, DH just brought a sport coat and tie. It didn't take up much space, and eliminated any concerns about what others would be wearing.

Old May 4th, 2012, 07:04 PM
5,000+ Club

In December 2011, shortly after the policy change in Blu, most men were in suits and or sport jackets on both formal nights. DH wore dark suit with tie first formal night and without tie on 2 nd formal night. Only saw one group in jeans (and they were in their 20s).

Azamara Journey (V3) - 5/12/14 - Photos
Celebrity Reflection (AQ) - 1/12/13 Review - Photos

Celebrity Summit (AQ) - 9/2/2012 Review - Photos
Celebrity Eclipse (AQ) - 12/10/2011 Review Photos
Celebrity Summit (SS) - 12/11/2010 Review - Photos
Celebrity Equinox (AQ) - 11/19/2009 Photos
Celebrity Century (CC) - 3/5/2009 Photos

Old May 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I am also wearing smart casual. We are able to now pack in one case instead of 2. This amounts to a considerable savings in travel besides being comfortable. It will also make it easier for self embarkation. May even think about taking half the clothes using 2 carry ons and using the laundry service
and doing more of doing less therefore I am working harder.

Warning: You will not be able to drink unlimited drinks all day long with the drink packages unless you start very early in the day. 🍸🍻🍺🍧☕

Important Health Information: WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN 🙌

Old May 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCA REP View Post
Here is at least one crew member that requires some additional training.
From whom? Corporate doesn't even seem to be able to get it straight.

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Jay View Post
From whom? Corporate doesn't even seem to be able to get it straight.

You are so right! I posted several comments in a similar thread shortly after Thanksgiving when I was on Eclipse. Despite the smart casual rule in Blu being shown in writing to Marcel, the maitre d in Blu, he insisted on trying to get men to wear or at least carry jackets on formal night. I saw at least one unpleasant altercation with a passenger dressed in fine smart casual attire who stormed out very upset to eat in the buffet upstairs. My description of the incident was even posted by someone on the Celebrity Facebook page before it was pulled down within a day or so. I would think by this time Marcel would have been properly instructed regarding the rules, but from reading this thread it sounds like he still keeps his supply of jackets in the closet and continues to upset passengers on formal nights by telling them they are not properly dressed and to please go back to their cabin and get a jacket or wear one of the used jackets in his closet. Why in the world doesn't Celebrity put a stop to this???

Old May 5th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgee View Post
You are so right! I posted several comments in a similar thread shortly after Thanksgiving when I was on Eclipse. Despite the smart casual rule in Blu being shown in writing to Marcel, the maitre d in Blu, he insisted on trying to get men to wear or at least carry jackets on formal night. I saw at least one unpleasant altercation with a passenger dressed in fine smart casual attire who stormed out very upset to eat in the buffet upstairs. My description of the incident was even posted by someone on the Celebrity Facebook page before it was pulled down within a day or so. I would think by this time Marcel would have been properly instructed regarding the rules, but from reading this thread it sounds like he still keeps his supply of jackets in the closet and continues to upset passengers on formal nights by telling them they are not properly dressed and to please go back to their cabin and get a jacket or wear one of the used jackets in his closet. Why in the world doesn't Celebrity put a stop to this???
Maitre d' sounds like he needs customer relations training as well as policy training; even if formal attire WERE required in Blu on Formal Nights, it would still be bad judgement (IMO) to alienate a smartly-dressed, insistent customer because he lacked a suitjacket.

Last edited by Leo Jay; May 5th, 2012 at 09:26 PM.

Old May 6th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Oh yes, definitely. I was in my suit during dinner but changed into khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt after dinner, and was asked by a polite yet snooty Celebrity employee to please observe the evening dress code for the theater.....

No loss really since I had a great time at the Sunset bar with several mojitos and a few new friends
Hope you informed that snooty Celebrity employee that you were indeed observing the evening dress code for the theater.

It is too bad you did not get the person's name and immediately contact the Hotel Director to report the incident. Even if you felt it was no loss to you, preventing a future occurrence would have been a favor to the next passenger who found himself in a similar situation.

The same for the poster who had the problem with the ignorant employee in Blu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgee
Why in the world doesn't Celebrity put a stop to this???
Because they are probably unaware that is even occurring. The Hotel Director most likely would have put a stop to it right away if s/he had been informed of what was happening.
They do not want their employees to be violating company policy and antagonizing their paying customers (or "guests" as they like to call us).

Last edited by fleckle; May 6th, 2012 at 02:04 AM.

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuylerbogart View Post
I am a first time cruiser. We have booked a cabin in Aqua class aboard the Equinox. Do you dress for Blu on formal nights. Thanks!

F-O-R-M-A-L NIGHT! THE WHOLE SHIP - THE WHOLE NIGHT - NO MATTER WHAT RESTAURANT YOU ARE EATING IN. (They let those that do not know how to dress eat in the buffet area) BUT THAT IS NOT REALLY CORRECT. FORMAL NIGHT 'MEANS' THE WHOLE SHIP THE WHOLE NIGHT. WE ALWAYS EAT IN BLU AND WE ALWAYS DRESS FORMAL ON FORMAL NIGHTS - THIS INCLUDES TUX.

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleckle View Post
Hope you informed that snooty Celebrity employee that you were indeed observing the evening dress code for the theater.

It is too bad you did not get the person's name and immediately contact the Hotel Director to report the incident. Even if you felt it was no loss to you, preventing a future occurrence would have been a favor to the next passenger who found himself in a similar situation.

The same for the poster who had the problem with the ignorant employee in Blu.

Because they are probably unaware that is even occurring. The Hotel Director most likely would have put a stop to it right away if s/he had been informed of what was happening.
They do not want their employees to be violating company policy and antagonizing their paying customers (or "guests" as they like to call us).

You ARE suppose to stay dressed for the evening. It is Formal NIGHT! Not Formal Dinner.

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Jay View Post
Maitre d' sounds like he needs customer relations training as well as policy training; even if formal attire WERE required in Blu on Formal Nights, it would still be bad judgement (IMO) to alienate a smartly-dressed, insistent customer because he lacked a suitjacket.
I think that Celebrity is RIGHT - IF people do not know how to dress - after it is clearly written out for them, they should NOT be allowed in the restauants!

You can't fix stupid!n It is THEIR ship - THEY get to make the rules, if someone does not like their rules, pick a ship where they like the rules.

Old September 19th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarylady19 View Post
In December 2011, shortly after the policy change in Blu, most men were in suits and or sport jackets on both formal nights. DH wore dark suit with tie first formal night and without tie on 2 nd formal night. Only saw one group in jeans (and they were in their 20s).
Why without a tie on FORMAL NIGHT????

Old September 20th, 2012, 12:37 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBlu View Post
F-O-R-M-A-L NIGHT! THE WHOLE SHIP - THE WHOLE NIGHT - NO MATTER WHAT RESTAURANT YOU ARE EATING IN. (They let those that do not know how to dress eat in the buffet area) BUT THAT IS NOT REALLY CORRECT. FORMAL NIGHT 'MEANS' THE WHOLE SHIP THE WHOLE NIGHT. WE ALWAYS EAT IN BLU AND WE ALWAYS DRESS FORMAL ON FORMAL NIGHTS - THIS INCLUDES TUX.
You are completely wrong. Formal night applies only to the MDR....those eating in any of the specialty restaurants or Blu follow the smart casual dress code. There is no requirement that you remain in your formal wear for the entire evening. You really need to read the policy rather than apparently guessing.....

To the poster who asked about dress code in Blu, it is smart casual on every night. If I were handed a jacket by the maitre d, I'd just drop it on the floor and continue to my table. If he had a problem with that, I'd suggest he bring his boss to the table. I have no idea who Marcel is, but I'll be on the Eclipse TA in aqua so we may get to meet...and that meeting may be in the head of the hotels' office if he tries to force a jacket on me. I am quite comfortable eating in nice smart casual in Blu on formal night and I am not alone.

Last edited by ghstudio; September 20th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Old September 20th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
You are completely wrong. Formal night applies only to the MDR....those eating in any of the specialty restaurants or Blu follow the smart casual dress code. There is not even the suggestion that you remain in your formal wear for the entire evening.

You really need to read the policy rather than apparently guessing.....

To the poster who asked about dress code in Blu, it is smart casual on every night. If I were handed a jacket by the maitre d, I'd just drop it on the floor and continue to my table. If had a problem with that, I'd suggest he bring his boss to the table. I have no idea who Marcel is, but I'll be on the Eclipse TA in aqua so we may get to meet...and that meeting may be in the head of the hotels' office if he tries to force a jacket on me.
You are so right and Seablu so wrong. However, Seablu resurrected this thread from early May and who knows why.

Old September 20th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
You ARE suppose to stay dressed for the evening. It is Formal NIGHT! Not Formal Dinner.
Oh, dear. I would like to gently guide you to the Celebrity guidelines:

Formal
Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit
Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)
The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

On Celebrity Cruises, Formal is required in MDR, no where else, there are some lines that celebrate formal night throughout the ship, but Celebrity is not one of them, that's the simple fact, no emotions involved.

Wish there was a Sticky for this

Last edited by cruise kitty; September 20th, 2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: why don't I spell check first???

Old September 20th, 2012, 04:59 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Please educate yourself before posting outright lies and misinformation. MDR only now for formal and has been for a while now
April 15...Hawaii Land Trip
Oct 15...Celebrity Equinox. Spain & Portugal
May 16...Oceania Riviera Istanbul to Athens

Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Oh yes, definitely. I was in my suit during dinner but changed into khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt after dinner, and was asked by a polite yet snooty Celebrity employee to please observe the evening dress code for the theater.

No loss really since I had a great time at the Sunset bar with several mojitos and a few new friends
On the summit last February those no longer in formal dress (my husband changed after dinner too) were asked to sit on the upper level .no big deal, but we were a little surprised.

Old September 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is there a cost for the suit jacket in the MDR on formal night if you dont have one and they hand it to you? Do you think they clean it after a customer wears it? Do the men wear it during the entire dinner or take it off and put on back of chair. Only saw this once at an upscale rest. in Jamaica.

Old September 20th, 2012, 03:37 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Are you joking or are you really that misinformed?

For a while now formal night has ONLY applied to the main dining room and nowhere else on the ship.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Closed Thread