Out of State Handicap Placards

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:34 PM.
Hagerstown, MD
1,073 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
DW has limited mobility and, hence, has a handicap placard for her car. If we were to use it on our rental car, would it be honored by the local authorities or would we end up getting ticketed?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Pride - Baltimore to the Bahamas - December 2011
NCL Pride of America - January 2013
Carnival Pride - Baltimore to the Bahamas - February 2018

Petaluma, Ca. 94954
28,757 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I think it would be honored, as long as it is clearly an official, gov't issued handicap tag. However, what I think won't help you get out of a ticket.

You need to do an internet seach for the Hawaii Dept of Motor Vehicles, and contact them.
Hagerstown, MD
1,073 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by CruiserBruce
I think it would be honored, as long as it is clearly an official, gov't issued handicap tag. However, what I think won't help you get out of a ticket.

You need to do an internet seach for the Hawaii Dept of Motor Vehicles, and contact them.

Your are right. I found my answer here:

http://hawaii.gov/health/dcab/travel/

And this is what they say:

Accessible Parking
"The State of Hawaii recognizes valid person with a disability parking placards issued by other states and countries for parking in designated, accessible parking spaces. Parking placards must hang from the vehicle's rearview mirror when the vehicle is parked in a designated space."

Mahalo
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Stevenson Ranch, CA
204 Posts
Joined May 2000
The last time we spent a week on Oahu, we brought our handicap placard from California. We used it just as we would at home with no problems.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Heart of Texas
2,253 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
My in-laws used theirs with no problems either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2006 Pride of America, 2007 Pride of America, 2008 Pride of America, 2009 Star Alaska, 2010 Jewel, 2011 Carnival Triumph, 2012 Pride of America, 2013 Epic, 2014 Pearl, 2015 Med Epic, 2016 Getaway, 2017 Escape, 2018 Getaway, 2019 Dawn
530 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Hi,
We have used my husband's in Florida, NH, RI, NJ, ME and Vegas and have had no problems.

Elaine
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
5/05 Constellation - Baltic
10/07 Millennium - Med
12/08 Constellation - Caribbean at Christmas
10/10 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/11 Jewel of the Seas - Transatlantic
4/12 Pride of America - Hawaii
12/12 Emerald Princess- Caribbean at Christmas
6/14 Jewel of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
9/15 Regal Princess - Transatlantic

Past cruises include - Alaska, Bermuda, Caribbean and Europe Elaine started cruising in 1978 and Robert in 1987
Hagerstown, MD
1,073 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Glad I started this thread. I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else, so it will be good infiormation for any wondering the same thing.

Happy cruising everyone!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature