Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Solo, balcony rates. Mine was NOT so great?

OK, I'm confused.

After a much-too-long hiatus from cruising I found what I considered a great deal and posted it here (post #1567). I must have been the only one who considered it a great deal as no one excitedly commented on my find.

While on my cruise I went to the office where they book future cruises (whatever it's called). I said (without mentioning any figures) that I had gotten what I thought was a great rate and asked "what would you consider to be a great rate on this cruise sailing solo in a balcony cabin?" Without hesitation the reply was "$400-500."

I thought my $800 rate was the find of the decade! Am I missing something?

PS If I can find single, balcony cabins for under $500 it will not be another twelve years until my next cruise!!
And may they always be.

~~~~
??/??/??, Holiday, Caribbean, 7 day
11/03/96, Veendam, Caribbean, 7 day
06/05/97, Statendam, Alaska, 7 day
11/12/97, Statendam, Caribbean, 10 day
10/19/98, Veendam, New England/Canada, 10 day
03/10/99, Splendour of the Seas, Caribbean, 10 day
10/16/99, Statendam, Mexico, 10 day
02/06/00, Celebration, Caribbean, 7 days
04/23/00, Veendam, Panama Canal, 14 day
06/21/00, Veendam, Alaska, 7 day
04/07/12, Voyager, So. Caribbean, 7 day
~~~~

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Cruise4Less View Post
OK, I'm confused.

After a much-too-long hiatus from cruising I found what I considered a great deal and posted it here (post #1567). I must have been the only one who considered it a great deal as no one excitedly commented on my find.

While on my cruise I went to the office where they book future cruises (whatever it's called). I said (without mentioning any figures) that I had gotten what I thought was a great rate and asked "what would you consider to be a great rate on this cruise sailing solo in a balcony cabin?" Without hesitation the reply was "$400-500."

I thought my $800 rate was the find of the decade! Am I missing something?

PS If I can find single, balcony cabins for under $500 it will not be another twelve years until my next cruise!!
That would most definitely be a great rate for a balcony cabin - solo. However, I think $500 is totally unrealistic - unless you were on a 2-day cruise to nowhere (I am being intentionally facetious). Your $800 rate for a solo balcony was definitely a great rate. Did you enjoy the cruise?

Carnival Elation 12/14/2009, Carnival Splendor 9/5/2010,
Carnival Conquest 4/8/2012, Carnival Inspiration 6/25/2012, Carnival Inspiration 10/4/2013, Carnival Magic 12/15/2013, Carnival Inspiration 2/7/2014, Carnival Inspiration 4/11/2014, Carnival Miracle 10/18/2014

Last edited by imaboo; April 27th, 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: got the wrong word - meant facetious not factitious

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Did I enjoy my cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaboo View Post
Did you enjoy the cruise?
In all honesty, no I didn't.

While this was my first-ever cruise in a balcony cabin (two thumbs up for balconies), I am not a gregarious (outgoing) person. I know others are different. Others make friends out of strangers rather quickly. I don't. This was my first-ever truly solo cruise. And I felt truly solo for the entire week.

Also, of no assistance, was the fact that I received my Cruise Critic's meet-and-greet invitation some seven hours after it happened!

Alas, if only some cute little single woman had come knocking at my cabin door asking to see what a balcony cabin looked like! But those things happen only in the movies, don't they?

My love for cruising is not yet dead. And my search for a single/solo, balcony cabin for less than $500 shall continue.
And may they always be.

~~~~
??/??/??, Holiday, Caribbean, 7 day
11/03/96, Veendam, Caribbean, 7 day
06/05/97, Statendam, Alaska, 7 day
11/12/97, Statendam, Caribbean, 10 day
10/19/98, Veendam, New England/Canada, 10 day
03/10/99, Splendour of the Seas, Caribbean, 10 day
10/16/99, Statendam, Mexico, 10 day
02/06/00, Celebration, Caribbean, 7 days
04/23/00, Veendam, Panama Canal, 14 day
06/21/00, Veendam, Alaska, 7 day
04/07/12, Voyager, So. Caribbean, 7 day
~~~~

Last edited by Love2Cruise4Less; April 27th, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Old April 30th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

While this was my first-ever cruise in a balcony cabin (two thumbs up for balconies), I am not a gregarious (outgoing) person. I know others are different. Others make friends out of strangers rather quickly. I don't. This was my first-ever truly solo cruise. And I felt truly solo for the entire week.

Also, of no assistance, was the fact that I received my Cruise Critic's meet-and-greet invitation some seven hours after it happened!

Alas, if only some cute little single woman had come knocking at my cabin door asking to see what a balcony cabin looked like! But those things happen only in the movies, don't they?

My love for cruising is not yet dead. And my search for a single/solo, balcony cabin for less than $500 shall continue.
Balconies are great. Aren't they? You will find another cruise soon. Keep looking!

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird23 View Post
This one also has an OBC from RCCL if you're a member.
Could you tell me how I get the onboard credit. Or did you mean a savings certificate.
Thanks

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentownahoy View Post
Could you tell me how I get the onboard credit. Or did you mean a savings certificate.
Thanks
Savings certificate, although some TA's give OBC.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
But those things happen only in the movies, don't they?
No, it doesn't just happen in the movies. I met a man on the transatlantic cruise from New Orleans to Barcelona April 15-28, 2012. The moment we looked into each others eyes there was an instant spark and the chemistry was so thick you could cut it with a knife. It took us 4 days to act on the feelings, but I can tell you the time we spent together after that was the most magical, special feeling of my entire life. Now it's a waiting game to see if I am contacted. If not, I have memories that will always be with me.....

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhillbilly View Post
No, it doesn't just happen in the movies. I met a man on the transatlantic cruise from New Orleans to Barcelona April 15-28, 2012. The moment we looked into each others eyes there was an instant spark and the chemistry was so thick you could cut it with a knife. It took us 4 days to act on the feelings, but I can tell you the time we spent together after that was the most magical, special feeling of my entire life. Now it's a waiting game to see if I am contacted. If not, I have memories that will always be with me.....
Great story!.... I hope that it works out for you and he contacts you... he'd be a fool not to.
Crystal Symphony, Voyage 0226, 19 days, November 2 - 21, 2010

Old May 5th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I was on that ship! How wonderful for you. It really was a good mix of solo/single travelers.

Old May 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-cruiser View Post
Great story!.... I hope that it works out for you and he contacts you... he'd be a fool not to.
Thanks. He has some feelings to work out since his wife of 30 yrs just died in Sept...feelings he didn't expect to have, esp so soon after her death

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurae View Post
I was on that ship! How wonderful for you. It really was a good mix of solo/single travelers.
Ok...so did you join in with any of our CC activities? We had a BLAST as a group...prob 15-25 was very active in our "group" activities.

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks. He has some feelings to work out since his wife of 30 yrs just died in Sept...feelings he didn't expect to have, esp so soon after her death

Ok...so did you join in with any of our CC activities? We had a BLAST as a group...prob 15-25 was very active in our "group" activities.
I missed the poker run. Forgot about it sadly. I did make it to the slot pull. Matt did an awesome job.

And of course the meet and mingle. Really was a great cruise!!

Old May 11th, 2012, 06:23 AM
10,000+ Club

I've been looking at the Explorer 2/10 cruise - seven days to Fl and Bahamas. Inside senior rate of $619 + $100 port tax. However, if you are a senior and a diamond, you can get a D2 balcony for $826 - $225 for a total of $603 + $100 port tax. I'm already booked on the 2/1 nine day cruise, so it looks like I'm going to do a 16 day B2B from Bayonne!!!

Carol

Old May 11th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurae View Post
I missed the poker run. Forgot about it sadly. I did make it to the slot pull. Matt did an awesome job.

And of course the meet and mingle. Really was a great cruise!!
What poker run? What slot pull? Who is Matt?

Are you talking about the informal meet & mingle or the one after Miami that the ship did?

Old May 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Really close to the criteria

Quote:

...As I have posted, to me a bargain is a balcony cabin/booked solo/at less than $100/day. Now, to me, THAT is a rare find. Some inside cabin at $500+ is NOT. Am I wrong?...
I guess everyone has their own definition of bargain, and in the world of cruising, many people also have to consider airfares, which can rise as cruise fares fall closer to sailing date. So, a "cruise bargain" might not turn out to be a "vacation bargain".

Nonetheless, I think most people would consider the following a bargain:

February 4-22, 2013 (18 days)
Miami to Venice, with stops at Malaga, Barcelona, Livorno (Florence/Pisa), and Rome (Civitavecchia)
Carnival Destiny
Inside upper/lower: $1031
Inside: from $1131
Ocean View: from $1431
Balcony: from $2031
All prices are for single occupancy and include taxes.
However, they are all also Early Saver rates, which require a nonrefundable deposit - and I can't seem to find out how much the deposit is without providing personal information.

I believe the reasons for the low prices are threefold: sailing date, itinerary, and finally, the ship is going into "a jaw-dropping 49-day dry-dock" immediately afterward for "one of the most dramatic refurbishments in contemporary cruising".

Cheers.

jlajr
August 2005 Disney Magic Caribbean
May 1996 RCI Sovereign of the Seas Caribbean
Late 80s/Early 90s HAL Westerdam Caribbean

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Princess UK sale has some great solo rates

eg 12nights round britain 26may for £600

Old May 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlajr View Post
i guess everyone has their own definition of bargain, and in the world of cruising, many people also have to consider airfares, which can rise as cruise fares fall closer to sailing date. So, a "cruise bargain" might not turn out to be a "vacation bargain".

Nonetheless, i think most people would consider the following a bargain:

miami to venice, with stops at malaga, barcelona, livorno (florence/pisa), and rome (civitavecchia)
carnival destiny
inside upper/lower: $1031
inside: From $1131
ocean view: From $1431
balcony: From $2031
all prices are for single occupancy and include taxes.
However, they are all also early saver rates, which require a nonrefundable deposit - and i can't seem to find out how much the deposit is without providing personal information.

I believe the reasons for the low prices are threefold: Sailing date, itinerary, and finally, the ship is going into "a jaw-dropping 49-day dry-dock" immediately afterward for "one of the most dramatic refurbishments in contemporary cruising".

Cheers.

Jlajr
$400

Old May 18th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Know it is a long ways away but NCL Jade Oct 19, 2013 Venice to Rome, single supplement is 150%.

Inside $1075 and balcony is $17xx

Old May 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Price drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlajr View Post
I guess everyone has their own definition of bargain, and in the world of cruising, many people also have to consider airfares, which can rise as cruise fares fall closer to sailing date. So, a "cruise bargain" might not turn out to be a "vacation bargain".

Nonetheless, I think most people would consider the following a bargain:

Miami to Venice, with stops at Malaga, Barcelona, Livorno (Florence/Pisa), and Rome (Civitavecchia)
Carnival Destiny
Inside upper/lower: $1031
Inside: from $1131
Ocean View: from $1431
Balcony: from $2031
All prices are for single occupancy and include taxes.
However, they are all also Early Saver rates, which require a nonrefundable deposit - and I can't seem to find out how much the deposit is without providing personal information.

I believe the reasons for the low prices are threefold: sailing date, itinerary, and finally, the ship is going into "a jaw-dropping 49-day dry-dock" immediately afterward for "one of the most dramatic refurbishments in contemporary cruising".

Cheers.

jlajr
I now see the following prices from a popular travel site (they do not include taxes, but otherwise the same conditions as before):

Inside: from $749
Oceanview: from $1049
Balcony: from $1649

jlajr
August 2005 Disney Magic Caribbean
May 1996 RCI Sovereign of the Seas Caribbean
Late 80s/Early 90s HAL Westerdam Caribbean

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your 1st solo cruise...sometimes things just don't work out as well as we hope..my 1st solo cruise was also a disaster...only 2 months after my husband died...much to soon...but I kept trying...did a couple family cruises...got my feet under me again...and my 2nd solo cruise was MUCH better....so hang in there...and if we ever cross path's on a cruise someday I promise to come knock on your door & ask to see your balcony...

Karen

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know if others will consider this a bargain, but I did so I thought I would share - especially since I have generally had a difficult time (until recently, anyway) finding sailings on Princess that have anything less than a 100% solo supplement. I booked a 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Emerald November 7th, interior room for $1398. (Double occupancy is $999 each.) Not sure how steep the discount is for better cabins, it's not worth looking into for me since I'm never in my cabin anyway.

It is still far enough ahead of time that plane tickets are still cheap - you can go RT from any NYC airport for well under $300 depending on times and airlines. (I booked a flight for $258.) I suspect that will go up quite a lot, especially since, as someone on my roll call pointed out, the ship docks and we fly home on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. So if you have to fly, it may not stay a bargain for too long.

Caribbean Princess - New England & Canada October 2010
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean May 2010
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean May 2009

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train.
- Oscar Wilde