Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures > Florida Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Florida Departures
Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Holiday Inn POM or Mayfair Hotel?

I've been researching hotels (ad nauseum!) for our upcoming cruise. We'll likely stay 1-2 nights pre-cruise. Which hotel would you chose (Holiday Inn POM or the Mayfair Hotel) and why?

Thanks so much and happy cruising!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:23 PM
5,000+ Club

For one night in downtown Miami I would choose the Doubletree Biscayne Bay over either hotel you mentioned - wonderful rooms, some with a view of POM, very nice pool area, and several good local dining options within walking distance. For more than one night I would skip downtown Miami and choose Miami Beach or maybe Coconut Grove.

Good luck!

Old April 28th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

We enjoy Holiday Inn but book early it fills up

Old April 29th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

We stayed at the Mayfair for a week a year ago and were happy with our stay, which was at a great rate much reduced from normal rates. Coconut Grove area was convenient enough with our rental car. I really don't think your 2 choices are comparable, more like apples to oranges. HI POM is a convenient pre-cruise hotel. The Mayfair Hotel & Spa is cut from a little more luxurious cloth, although priced higher also and everything cost extra.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondello View Post
We stayed at the Mayfair for a week a year ago and were happy with our stay, which was at a great rate much reduced from normal rates. Coconut Grove area was convenient enough with our rental car. I really don't think your 2 choices are comparable, more like apples to oranges. HI POM is a convenient pre-cruise hotel. The Mayfair Hotel & Spa is cut from a little more luxurious cloth, although priced higher also and everything cost extra.
Thanks for your help but I'm seeing rates much lower at Mayfair both directly at the hotel and using Priceline. Are you saying that HI POM is "ordinary" and Mayfair is more luxury? If so - I think I'd take luxury over ordinary. Some reviews are that the pool area is loud - was that your finding? We are just going for a day or two pre-cruise but still like to being our vacation in a nice hotel.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninDC View Post
For one night in downtown Miami I would choose the Doubletree Biscayne Bay over either hotel you mentioned - wonderful rooms, some with a view of POM, very nice pool area, and several good local dining options within walking distance. For more than one night I would skip downtown Miami and choose Miami Beach or maybe Coconut Grove.

Good luck!
Thank you! What can you tell me about the Doubletree? Why would you chose that area over the other two? I also have to consider taxi fares (from airport and then to cruise port). Isn't the Doubletree in the same vicinity as
the Holiday Inn? Thanks again so much for your help!

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hmmm ... I'm seeing very high rates for the Doubletree directly through the hotel and on priceline too. Close to $500 for one night for a 2 bedroom, and close to $300/night for a 1 bedroom. Is that close to the rate you paid? Too expensive for me, unfortunately.

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:12 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow0325 View Post
Thanks for your help but I'm seeing rates much lower at Mayfair both directly at the hotel and using Priceline. Are you saying that HI POM is "ordinary" and Mayfair is more luxury? If so - I think I'd take luxury over ordinary. Some reviews are that the pool area is loud - was that your finding? We are just going for a day or two pre-cruise but still like to being our vacation in a nice hotel.
The Holiday Inn is very ordinary so if you want a nice hotel pick something different. It is a popular place with cruisers because it is across the street from the port but to me this doesn't matter. I think the Mayfair looks lovely although I have not stayed there. I would stay there any day over the Holiday Inn.

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, I'd almost forgotten about that. The pool is closed in the evening (6:00PM?) and they use the outdoor area as an outdoor party area with the bar setup and music. Their prices really vary a lot depending on the season, more than a hundred dollar swing. There were mixed reviews before my visit and I thought the great price was too good to pass up. We had a good trip. There was a nice complex adjacent to Mayfair that had dining and shopping, even more options in the very walkable neighborhood.

Old April 30th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Mayfair is leagues above the Double Tree, and the HI downtown doesn't come close to either.

Coconut Grove has kinda of a bohemian feel to it, and its much fun to explore the tree lined streets near the hotel. Its a fairly safe area, but don't go further west than the block after the Cocowalk mall.

Many more things to do and see in downtown, but you could do far worse than booking the Mayfair. Make sure you get a room with the jacuzzi on the balcony...very cool.

Last edited by miamiyogi; April 30th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:08 PM
10,000+ Club

I would avoid the HI POM at all costs. A much better hotel in the same area is the Marriott Biscayne Bay.

Up next:
Princess - Pacific Coastal May 2014
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean
RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old April 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Cruisers View Post
I would avoid the HI POM at all costs. A much better hotel in the same area is the Marriott Biscayne Bay.
Can you tell me why? The reviews seem pretty consistent. Thank you!

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:57 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiyogi View Post
The Mayfair is leagues above the Double Tree, and the HI downtown doesn't come close to either.

Coconut Grove has kinda of a bohemian feel to it, and its much fun to explore the tree lined streets near the hotel. Its a fairly safe area, but don't go further west than the block after the Cocowalk mall.

Many more things to do and see in downtown, but you could do far worse than booking the Mayfair. Make sure you get a room with the jacuzzi on the balcony...very cool.
Ditto this.

Old May 5th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

We recently stayed at the HI POM. It was rated 3 1/2 stars but it is probably more like 2 - 2 1/2 stars. It wasn't horrible but it is rather funky and the pool leaves a lot to be desired. We could not get the wifi to work in our room and had to take the laptop downstairs to the lobby in order for it to work. Breakfast was fairly expensive but we went across the street to the Bayside Market Place and ate dinner there.

We are going back to Miami in December for a 10 day Christmas cruise. We just recently booked the Hyatt Regency for $115 a night. It is 4 1/2 stars. The Intercontinental was available for $141. Have you tried wwwdotlastminutetraveldotcom? Great deals are to be had there. Good luck.

NCL Pearl 12/22/14 Southern Caribbean
NCL Pearl 5/5/13 Pacific Coastal
NCL Sun 12/16/12 Southern Caribbean
NCL Epic 3/17/12 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Sun 9/21/08 Mexican Riviera
NCL Wind 5/8/04 Vancouver to Hawaii
Sun Princess 1977 Alaska

Old May 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Can you tell me why? The reviews seem pretty consistent. Thank you!
Holiday Inn Port of Miami is an overpriced dump.

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie51 View Post
Holiday Inn Port of Miami is an overpriced dump.
Other then being "overpriced", can you be more specific about why you think it's a "dump"? Thanks so much.

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Other then being "overpriced", can you be more specific about why you think it's a "dump"? Thanks so much.
You can run a search here; this hotel has been discussed for years and for all that time, it's been described as a dump. It's old, it's run down, the food is expensive, the pool area is a joke, the elevators are slow, our room was dirty, the staff is indifferent....

Please do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. I, and other who have commented in this thread, have stayed there and we wouldn't again. *shrug* I'm just not sure what else to say.

Up next:
Princess - Pacific Coastal May 2014
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean
RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM
5,000+ Club

In addition to the above I will make a comment about being overpriced. For the same dates I was in Miami the Holiday Inn was $170. I stayed at the Hyatt which is a much nicer hotel for $88.

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wow you guys sure don't like the Holiday Inn!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last year for 1 night and it was fine. After reading all the reviews we were freaked out but had booked a non-refundable rate. Even the people on our roll call told us to 'expect to see chalk outlines of bodies'. All in all it was fine. I even met Joan Rivers in the elevator! It's fine for a pre-cruise stay. We needed a refrigerator for medication and it was brought up within 10 minutes and the staff were friendly. Our room had a view of the port, not an awesome view but we could see the ships!

Very clean, I ripped all the sheets off and checked the mattresses just to be safe!

No 'chalk lines' here!

View from the room

Rick

RCCL Allure of the Seas 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - 04/2013 Second Cruise Ever!
NCL Epic 11 Day TransAtlantic - 05/2011 First Cruise Ever!

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarz85 View Post
I even met Joan Rivers in the elevator!
She must have been visiting someone.