Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
Where are the Amsterdam 2013 cruises? c'mon Royal....don't force me to cough up the extra money for Harwich or go over to Celebrity *sigh* I really need to finalize some other plans for my study abroad program and this is getting in my way.
You are also waiting for the Amsterdam cruises in 2013?

I hope Jewel will do them!!!

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF BAY View Post
I really like what the Grand Princess just announced. Like the earlier poster said it is making SF a year round home port. 15 night round trip Hawaii and 10 night round trip Alaska with a few 7 night Mexico sailings. Listen up RCCL many of us left coasters will be jumping ship if only for the conveince of not flying . What we pay for air into Vancover to see Alaska is equal to 3 free sea days on Princess.
I have only sailed RCI but a quick Ride up to S.F. looks very attractive, Besides Europe Pricing are way down, just look at some of the deals.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...rrencyCode=USD

Cheaper than the Mariner when she was on the west coast.

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

The 2013/2014 Deployment Schedule received an amazing amount of posts.
Sitmar, RCCL, Costa, HAL, Princess, Royal Cruise Line, Celebrity, Renaissance, Disney, MSC, Carnival, Carnival Glory Feb 17, 2013, Carnival Breeze Feb 24, 2013, Grandeur of the Seas Oct 25, 2013, Upcoming MSC Divina Jan 24, 2015
"We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails"
Cruising is the Best Vacation!

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:22 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl2cruise View Post
I have only sailed RCI but a quick Ride up to S.F. looks very attractive, Besides Europe Pricing are way down, just look at some of the deals.

Cheaper than the Mariner when she was on the west coast.
WOW!! $299 + taxes for 7 days. That is sooo cheap. Too bad this deal isn't for a cruise leaving out of the US.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy- March 2003 (4 Day Baja Mexico)
Carnival Pride- February 2007 (7 Day Mexican Riveria)
Carnival Spirit- November 2007 (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riveria)
Carnival Freedom- February 2008 (7 Day Western Caribbean)
Carnival Elation- February 2009 (4 Day Baja Mexico)
Carnival Spirit- July 2009 (7 Day Southbound Alaska)
Carnival Dream- November 2010 (7 Day Eastern Caribbean)
Carnival Liberty- March/April 2012 (7 Day Eastern Caribbean)
51 Days at Sea and Counting!

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

While on the Mariner last November, we were told that the Mariner will go back to California in 5 years...after the next dry dock (done every 5 years) and after the panama canal opens the new wider canal. Don't want to go around the horn again...very costly.

past cruises
Rhapsody of the Sea.... February 2003
Elation....................... February 2004
Rhapsody of the Seas... January 2005
Mariner of the Seas...... December 2006
Voyager of the Seas..... January 2008
Disney Magic................September 2009
Voyager of the Seas......November 2009
Voyager of the Seas......January 2011
Conquest.....................September 2011
Mariner of the Seas.......November 2011
future cruises
Mariner of the Seas.......November 2012

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop View Post
WOW!! $299 + taxes for 7 days. That is sooo cheap. Too bad this deal isn't for a cruise leaving out of the US.
Doesn't anyone think it's very telling that the Europe cruises are such a discount now...Did RCI send too many ships?..I hope they are realizing they did and send some home...The west coast may not in the near future be such a bad choice for RCI to return to. PCL coastals booked up very quickly and proving to be very popular.

Last edited by Ashland; May 6th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseclues View Post
The 2013/2014 Deployment Schedule received an amazing amount of posts.

And it's not over yet!!!!! We are waiting for the Winter Caribbean realses scheduled for 5/10. The operative word being SCHEDULED

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Nice to see Royal is doing a great job of sticking to their schedule yet again this year!

Y'all know, Legend and Splendour's itineraries for this upcoming winter (2012/2013) weren't released until earlier this year. They were supposed to be released last year. I wonder if the same thing will happen yet again this time around...

Old May 7th, 2012, 01:12 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
...Besides Europe Pricing are way down, just look at some of the deals.
They could offer the Europe cruises for FREE but it'll still cost me $1800 in airfare, luggage fees, and transfers before I even stepped foot on the ship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
Doesn't anyone think it's very telling that the Europe cruises are such a discount now...Did RCI send too many ships?
Yes, I also think the cruise lines send too many ships to Europe for summer deployment, just like I think they send too many to Alaska.

Signed,

Still waiting on Baltimore schedules...

Old May 7th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwnc1959 View Post
They could offer the Europe cruises for FREE but it'll still cost me $1800 in airfare, luggage fees, and transfers before I even stepped foot on the ship!

Yes, I also think the cruise lines send too many ships to Europe for summer deployment, just like I think they send too many to Alaska.

Signed,

Well, yes and no:
For me, it doesn't make any sense to operate a ship in the Caribbean year round! I think this is a very bad idea - but sadly, some companies do...
But I think the Northern Europe itineraries on Adventure are also not very senseful in 2013, because they are not in July - they are only end of August or Sptember...
But I think RCCL needs Jewel in Northern Europe in 2013 to operate from Amsterda. PLASE NO YEAR-ROUND CARIBBEAN ON JEWEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 7th, 2012, 05:49 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebrity_fan View Post
For me, it doesn't make any sense to operate a ship in the Caribbean year round! I think this is a very bad idea - but sadly, some companies do...
To someone in Europe it may not make sense. But for an American family of four it may make more financial sense to cruise the Caribbean in summer than spend $5000 just on airfare to get to a ship deployed to Europe. The somewhat limited choices in the Caribbean due to the seasonal deployments of the bulk of several mass market lines (HAL, Celebrity, NCL, Princess) causes a bit of a shortage in choices to those wanting to sail from US ports along the Gulf of Mexico and southern Florida during the summer months.

Old May 7th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

While on the Mariner last November, we were told that the Mariner will go back to California in 5 years...after the next dry dock (done every 5 years) and after the panama canal opens the new wider canal. Don't want to go around the horn again...very costly.
Takemeawayrccl

The Mariner still can't do the Panama canal she is to 50 ft to tall for the Bridge they have to past under she can fit lenght an width. so the only size ship classes that can make it is the vision and the Radiance class ships . That one of the draw backs when you build bigger ships.

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
You are also waiting for the Amsterdam cruises in 2013?

I hope Jewel will do them!!!
Yes!!! I really want to do St. Petersburg and the Harwich cruises are priced too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
Doesn't anyone think it's very telling that the Europe cruises are such a discount now...Did RCI send too many ships?..I hope they are realizing they did and send some home...The west coast may not in the near future be such a bad choice for RCI to return to. PCL coastals booked up very quickly and proving to be very popular.
It's not all about the room rate....it's also onboard spending and the price of those excursions are crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwnc1959 View Post

Signed,

$1800? Wow...where do you live? The highest I've paid (from DFW) is $1300 to get to Europe during peak season (Ireland this upcoming July) and you get one free piece of checked luggage. Transfer on a train can be as low as $5.00USD. We paid $60 for a private car to get us from the airport in Rome to the city centre (nice plush Mercedes too).

I've never seen $1800 to get to Europe!

It costs me $450 to get to Florida for a boring Caribbean cruise that is expensive. Would much rather pay an extra $600 to get to Europe. Biggest problem is that you usually need to tack on extra days for travel and I can't do that in the spring, so I'm stuck with the Caribbean.

Previous Cruises (85 days at sea)
Brilliance of the Seas - 8/7/14 (Baltics)
Navigator of the Seas - 3/9/14 (Western)
Allure of the Seas - 8/4/13 (Eastern)
Adventure of the Seas - 3/10/13 (Southern)
Rhapsody of the Seas - 7/27/12 (Alaska/Sawyer)
Grandeur of the Seas - 3/18/12 (Panama/ABC)
Voyager of the Seas - 12/31/11 (Western)
Navigator of the Seas - 5/22/11 (E. Med)
Adventure of the Seas - 12/19/10 (Southern)
Majesty of the Seas - 11/19/10 (Bahamas)
Liberty of the Seas - 4/11/10 (Western)
NCL Jewel - 12/13/09 (Western)

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Are there any news on Cruisingpower of Jewel of the Seas??

Or do I have to wait until next week?

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly361 View Post
And it's not over yet!!!!! We are waiting for the Winter Caribbean realses scheduled for 5/10. The operative word being SCHEDULED
Can anyone confirm that "winter cruises" include southern Caribbean out of San Juan?? They way it's titled on the schedule, it appears to be only those leaving out of Florida locations.
2006 - Carnival Inspiration
2006 - Carnival Valor (eastern Caribbean)
2007 - Carnival Destiny
2008 - Carnival Imagination
2008 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
2009 - Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas
2010 - Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
2014 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by micco69 View Post
Takemeawayrccl

The Mariner still can't do the Panama canal she is to 50 ft to tall for the Bridge they have to past under she can fit lenght an width. so the only size ship classes that can make it is the vision and the Radiance class ships . That one of the draw backs when you build bigger ships.
At this point, believing anything that we are told while onboard any ship in the RCI fleet, especially as it concerns future deployments is absolutely foolish and when it involves something that is supposed to happen five years from now is unbelievably foolish. The powers that be can't seem to agree on where they are going to place their ships in the next year or two, or if they have agreed, they certainly aren't giving shipbound personnel that information.

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Well, yes and no:
But I think the Northern Europe itineraries on Adventure are also not very senseful in 2013, because they are not in July - they are only end of August or Sptember...
But I think RCCL needs Jewel in Northern Europe in 2013 to operate from Amsterda. PLASE NO YEAR-ROUND CARIBBEAN ON JEWEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would have to disagree with you. The Caribbean is a popular destination all year round. That's the backbone of the cruising industry.

Carnival Splendor - 6/14
Freedom OTS - 2/14, Pre-Inaugural 5/06
Carnival Breeze - 11/13
Enchantment OTS - 9/13, 8/12, 2/11, 10/08, 9/08 B2B, 1/08, 2/07, 9/06, 9/04, 9/03
Radiance OTS - 5/13 (Hawaii), 10/10
Oasis OTS - 10/12
Allure OTS - 1/12
Liberty OTS - 1/12
Explorer OTS - 9/11, 6/11, 7/09, 10/07, 11/06
Caribbean Princess - 10/10
Crown Princess - Pre-Inaugural 6/06
Sun Princess - 5/06 (Alaska)
Celebrity Constellation - 11/05
Sovereign OTS - 3/05, 10/01
Voyager OTS - 10/04
Carnival Conquest - 8/04
NCL Dawn - 2/03
Brilliance OTS - 11/02
Majesty OTS - 9/02
Carnival Triumph - 6/02
Grand Princess - 4/01
Carnival Victory - 8/00
Carnival Sensation - 7/00

Up Next: Vision of the Seas 9/14, NCL Breakaway 10/14, Oasis of the Seas 10/15, Celebrity Reflection 11/15, Anthem of the Seas 4/16

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

It's not all about the room rate....it's also onboard spending and the price of those excursions are crazy!

Sorry but your facts are incorrect 75 percent of revenue comes from the cruise fare 25 percent comes from onboard spending. So yes its all about the room rate!

Last edited by wl2cruise; May 7th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Sorry but your facts are incorrect 75 percent of revenue comes from the cruise fare 25 percent comes from onboard spending. So yes its all about the room rate!
However it breaks out, both are important to the success of the cruiselines and if the room rates are too heavily discounted in order to fill the ships, or the passengers sit on their wallets once they are onboard, the cruise won't be financially successful. In the case of the Mariner's sailings from CA it appears to have been a combination of both factors that caused RCI to redeploy the ship elsewhere.

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
$1800? Wow...where do you live? The highest I've paid (from DFW) is $1300 to get to Europe during peak season (Ireland this upcoming July) and you get one free piece of checked luggage. Transfer on a train can be as low as $5.00USD. We paid $60 for a private car to get us from the airport in Rome to the city centre (nice plush Mercedes too).

I've never seen $1800 to get to Europe!

It costs me $450 to get to Florida for a boring Caribbean cruise that is expensive. Would much rather pay an extra $600 to get to Europe. Biggest problem is that you usually need to tack on extra days for travel and I can't do that in the spring, so I'm stuck with the Caribbean.
In my original post I was looking at flights from Pittsburgh. I priced three dates and all came out between $1450-1550. I also mentioned adding in luggage fees for both directions (2nd checked bag is not free on most airlines) and the round trip transfers in something besides a train (prefer private car as you mentioned). Average total price came out between $1725-1825 without adding in any 'extras' at the airport or on the airplane, airport parking, or shuttle bus from my hometown. With all that the total comes out to average of $1800.

Last year my flight from my hometown airport to Miami r/t was $285. This year less than $400. Big difference than flying to Europe.

Last edited by dmwnc1959; May 7th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.