Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinmama06 View Post
Yes on RCI you can add infants to doubles. But as the OP is finding out the hard way on CCL, that situation is not always the case when the berth capacity is reached for the ship. I would love to see an update as well. It's a good lesson for anyone booking infants.
Well said!

We added our 10 month old to our double for dirt cheap....but we ADDED him, didn't expect to just slip him on board without paying!

RCI Adventure ~ 03/13
RCI Jewel ~ 01/12
RCI Navigator ~ 01/11
NCL Dawn ~ 03/08

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemyni View Post
I'm new to Cruise Critics' message boards though I've been a bit of a lurker for months now. I hope that it's ok to vent here and that my doing so will help someone. My hubbie booked our Carnival Western Carib cruise online at the Carnival site. Since 'registering' our 18 month old son seemed to indicate that we would be paying full price for him, my husband decided that he would simply call Carnival before our departure to make sure that our son would be accounted for (in our 2-person reservation). We anticipated having him sleep on a travel toddler bed that we packed to take.

In any case, there are now no rooms for a family of 3 even if we were willing to pay full price for a third person. We will be cancelling our trip and hoping desperately for a voucher (to use when, I don't know). We were supposed to be sailing on this Sunday Truth be told, I'm not sure how any of the cruiselines can justify charging even a fraction of money for a child under the age of 5. Really??!!! Our son wouldn't even have been eligible for their toddler program since he's not yet 2 years old. Ok, thanks for listening.
Well, I read this thread through and I wanted to say, "Welcome!" Since I don't know the extent that you have lurked or even that you knew the booking details at the time that your husband made them, I will make no assumption that you intended to stick it to the cruise line. I remember about 12 years ago when I learned that the youngest of cruisers can cost as much as the oldest and I was shocked. I have since been educated by this board and others about the reason for the price for kiddos. Live and learn and I'm very sorry for your mixed up vacation issues.
I hope that you are able to look at it as a lesson learned and were able to enjoy a vacation. I would love to know what you ended up doing! I hope that the situation hasn't turned you off from cruising. (And honestly, from this board as well. Sometimes the responses can come across as a little rougher than intended. Especially to Southern Gals.)

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

we have to pay full price on carnival for our 10 month old and we are VIP
Carnival Inspiration 01/07
Carnival Imagination 03/07
Carnival Valor 06/08
Carnival Fascination 09/08
Royal Monarch of the Seas 02/09
Carnival Spirit Alaska 5/09
Carnival Destiny - 08/09
Carnival Freedom - 02/10
Royal Voyager of the Seas - Europe - 05/10
Carnival Dream 09/10
Carnival Paradise 03/12

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Must try that on an airline with a 2yo. When booking it says you must pay but the kid is only small so I will book two seats and phone the airline a couple of days before flying and tell them we have a small child too who can sit on our laps if there are no seats. I am sure that would be OK wouldn't it?

Azamara Sea of Cortez 2014
Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic 2013Carnival Imagination Eastern Caribbean 2013 Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean 2013 ms Westerdam Pacific Coastal 2013 Golden Princess Reposition 2013

Celebrity Century Alaska 2013 Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda 2013
Norwegian Epic E Caribbean 2012 Ruby Princess E Caribbean 2012
Norwegian Pearl West Coast 2011 Celebrity Eclipse E Caribbean 2011
Queen Mary 2 Transatlantics 2010 Coral Princess Panama 2010
Star Princess South America 2009 Sapphire Princess Alaska 2009 Crown Princess E Caribbean 2009
QM2 S Caribbean 2008 QM2 Eastern US / Canada 2008 Golden Princess Mexican Riviera 08
Diamond Princess Hawaii 07 Crown Princess E Caribbean 07 Grand Princess W Caribbean 06, 07
Island Princess Hawaii 06 Island Princess West Coast USA 06 Coral Princess Panama 06

HMS Arethusa - West Indies and South Pacific 1969 HMS Albion - North Atlantic / Med 1972 - 74 HMS Devonshire - Mediterranean and Arctic Circle 1976 - 78
HMS Falmouth - Around the world 1979 HMS Brilliant - Atlantic 1980 - 82

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Im just wondering one thing? You said you have traveled on a plane with a under 2 yr old which when u call or do reservations online they ask that question Y would u think it would be different on a cruise ship. Also im traveling with my 20 mth old and asked them why we would pay so much for him and they said its for insurence reasons which i understand .

Old May 8th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemyni View Post
Thanks for your very helpful response, NJFoodie. We're new parents. We've taken numerous plane trips (where there details available regarding traveling with children under two), but have never ever cruised before and don't know anyone who has cruised with a young child.

Again, our assumptions were naive, but I didn't think that the tone of the message board responses, overall, was warranted. Some of the responses were unnecessarily mean-spirited, in my opinion. I thought that parents, even those who have different opinions and experiences than others, were inclined to be supportive of other parents. My apologies if I missed some of the more pleasant/useful responses. After a while, I had to stop reading. In any case, I hope that the mean people (and everyone else, too) have a wonderful weekend.
I must agree with you I believe you know you made a mistake however some comments were not warranted.
Sun Princess
Grand Princess
Ruby Princess
Holland America Volendam
Royal Carribean

Old May 9th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

If there was any question, the OP should have contacted the cruise line or a travel agent. Either one would have been able to clear up any confusion they had about whether or not a young child pays full price.

I do understand that airlines and hotels allow young children at no additional cost at times (not if you want them to have their own seat, etc.) and this could cause some confusion, but it really is a matter of safety with the cruise line. There is space for so many souls because of life boats, etc.

We are sailing on Allure with DD next year. She'll be 2 years 3 months so she won't be able to participate in any of the actual children's program (only toddler play with parents, etc.). However, she'll be in our room probably making a bit of a mess that that the steward will have to deal with, eating food, enjoying entertainment and pools (if she is potty trained by then). It was very clear when booking that we had to be in a cabin that accommodates at least 3 and that she would be the regular 3rd person rate. That was clear on the cruise line website and clearly communicated by RCCL and our travel agent.

Old May 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
5,000+ Club

I hope that you posted this info on the boards that you were lurking on prior to your cruise. Like yourself other first time cruisers with children may have stuck to the cruise line boards and not happened upon this board until after their cruise.

Old May 11th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

I kinda get not wanting to pay but..... If you make a plane reservation you have to tell them your son is going to be a passenger at booking. If you make a hotel reservation they ask how many in room and then will ask how many under a age. Even if there is no price the body is still accounted for. And of course you should pay. I mean are you going to save all the diapers and throw them away?