Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Maybe we could stay on Topic and quit Hijacking the Thread. Most posters seem to try to stay with the general theme here, but then it lost its course. I believe the OP wanted to get an idea about if they were over or underspending for their AK cruise. Its turning into something different. Please read the rules of the board and keep them in mind when posting. Thanks BTW, I think the OP is just about right with what they are spending for their Alaska Adventure. Alot depends on your personal preferences, what you want to see and do. Enjoy your vacation!

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Queen View Post
Yeah, me too, I'm sitting in Paris right now writing, from a little guesthouse, that is "budget and basic". got here this morning via Eurostar after being in London for almost a week. 2 week TransAtlantic cruise prior, with a week in New Orleans to start. Gone 5 weeks this trip. I like frequent and repeative travel- 17 weeks this year. Others will certainly greatly enjoy their trips too. It's wonderful, so many options are available, isn't it?
Wow! Nice trip!!! You'll have to share pictures when you return!

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Facebook is a good option. I just bought Stock, so please visit often.
We're off to Alaska in two days. I don't know how much $$$ we'll spend, but I'm sure it will be worth every penny.

Last edited by Gotta Go Cruisin; May 20th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm up to about $6000 for 4 including cruise, flights, pre-cruise hotel, excursions, transportation, and city passes.

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime53 View Post
I have to say that a lot of you are making me feel really thrifty about our 6 week trip that included Boston, NYC, London, 2 days outside London, and then 3 weeks in Africa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugaltravel View Post
lol. Me too. I don't spend as much on weeks of travel that some people here spend on a week or two. But neither is "right" or "wrong", just different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Queen View Post
Yeah, me too, I'm sitting in Paris right now writing, from a little guesthouse, that is "budget and basic". got here this morning via Eurostar after being in London for almost a week. 2 week TransAtlantic cruise prior, with a week in New Orleans to start. Gone 5 weeks this trip. I like frequent and repeative travel- 17 weeks this year. Others will certainly greatly enjoy their trips too. It's wonderful, so many options are available, isn't it?
It is great that a cruise gives you the option to be a little more frugal or splurge. Just the cabin type and number/type of excursions makes a huge difference in Alaska. I can see why people make it a once in a lifetime thing. Our airfares are steep from Australia so we've decided to do one longer trip every two years.

It takes a lot of research to find a reasonably priced hotel with the facilities you want in Canada and Alaska. Still research is part of the fun.

Email Me

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Honeymoon for us. Dont wanna know. Id say Im in the 8k range before we even get there.

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

This will be our third Alaska cruise, but the first without the balcony. We weren't even planning on this one because of tight finances. BUT...we saw the $399 on Princess southbound, mid June and jumped. Granted, it's inside guarantee, but we got our airfare covered by FF miles! With hotel for one night, transport, cruise and tips (also covered by ship board credit), my dh and I are going on our Alaska cruise for less than $1300 for the two of us. We also don't buy much inboard, and won't do excursions costing more than the city bus. This was a fun challenge for me! It's either be super cheap this time, or don't cruise! Of course the cruise wins!

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7uvus View Post
This will be our third Alaska cruise, but the first without the balcony. We weren't even planning on this one because of tight finances. BUT...we saw the $399 on Princess southbound, mid June and jumped. Granted, it's inside guarantee, but we got our airfare covered by FF miles! With hotel for one night, transport, cruise and tips (also covered by ship board credit), my dh and I are going on our Alaska cruise for less than $1300 for the two of us. We also don't buy much inboard, and won't do excursions costing more than the city bus. This was a fun challenge for me! It's either be super cheap this time, or don't cruise! Of course the cruise wins!
This has my way of travel for years. Enjoy the ride.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Go Cruisin View Post
Yawn...
Quote:
Maybe we could stay on Topic and quit Hijacking the Thread. Most posters seem to try to stay with the general theme here, but then it lost its course. I believe the OP wanted to get an idea about if they were over or underspending for their AK cruise. Its turning into something different. Please read the rules of the board and keep them in mind when posting. Thanks BTW, I think the OP is just about right with what they are spending for their Alaska Adventure. Alot depends on your personal preferences, what you want to see and do. Enjoy your vacation!
Quote:
I'm assuming the posts were directed to, among a few others, me...
I was going to ignore them, but obviously changed my mind. I check this site nearly daily, frequently more often. I become familiar with many of the posters due to the time they spend on here, and watch them grow from wary newbies (both to the "forum community" and to the state of Alaska). I'm familiar with others because they spend just as much, or even more time than me; they truly love this place, whether they are residents or frequent travelers here, and also want to help visitors have a wonderful time. I spend time looking up facts to make sure any info I give is accurate, and not just a hazy recollection. I think I have helped at least a few people have a better trip. I get nothing out of this except the satisfaction of helping people enjoy the area in which I live. Rarely is there even a thank you. If I (and the others who you would admonish to stay on topic) am not deserving of the occasional aside comment, then one of us is in the wrong "community".

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Nicely said.

Old May 21st, 2012, 09:02 PM
5,000+ Club

Ouch

Quote:
We're off to Alaska in two days. I don't know how much $$$ we'll spend, but I'm sure it will be worth every penny.

Old May 21st, 2012, 09:08 PM
5,000+ Club

How much one spends varies depends on taste, geography etc.

Flights not much you can do there beyond planning early and securing best fares.

Cabins, you could be going inside or have a suite. Some claim that you got to have views. I personally like the free views from up top and public viewing areas.

Excursions, this is where I never restrict spending and spent almost 500/person in one port and easily 100+/person in the other ports. It is those memories that I carry forward and remember fondly, not the drinks, photos, t-shirts etc., or my cabin.

If I included a airfare that sound neither too much or too little, goldilocks just right

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaspire View Post
Hi,

So my husband and I are taking a cruise in June. I was doing the math today and so far we have already spend $3400...this includes the curise itself, flight and couple of excursions.

I am guessing we will be booking couple of more smaller excursion. But, in total looks like we will be spending about 4k.

Does this seem right? I feel like we are over spending.

How much has it cost you in the past?

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I was going to ignore them, but obviously changed my mind. I check this site nearly daily, frequently more often. I become familiar with many of the posters due to the time they spend on here, and watch them grow from wary newbies (both to the "forum community" and to the state of Alaska). I'm familiar with others because they spend just as much, or even more time than me; they truly love this place, whether they are residents or frequent travelers here, and also want to help visitors have a wonderful time. I spend time looking up facts to make sure any info I give is accurate, and not just a hazy recollection. I think I have helped at least a few people have a better trip. I get nothing out of this except the satisfaction of helping people enjoy the area in which I live. Rarely is there even a thank you. If I (and the others who you would admonish to stay on topic) am not deserving of the occasional aside comment, then one of us is in the wrong "community".
Don't personalize my comments. I simply pointed out that the thread had drifted off into "other vacations" and not what the OP had asked about. I too enjoy the "community", but a post about "Total Cruise Cost" on the Alaska Boards probably should be about that topic. If folks want to talk about their multi continental vacations, none of which include Alaska, then they should start a thread on that particular topic on the appropriate board. Enjoy whatever you do.

Last edited by Gotta Go Cruisin; May 22nd, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by treinke View Post
I've never been more happy to spend that kind of money.
There is someone on the cruise critics boards who's signature is followed by "Spending my children's inheritance one cruise at a time." We are leaving on back-to-back cruises to Alaska, May 25. So I guess I'm doing it 2 at a time.
We are around 9K for the 3 of us, Myself, daughter and grandson.
Have fun you can always worry about the money later!

Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
You're not in the wrong community. Keep up the good work.

Email Me

Last edited by paddingtonbear; May 22nd, 2012 at 07:20 AM.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaspire View Post
hi,

so my husband and i are taking a cruise in june. I was doing the math today and so far we have already spend $3400...this includes the curise itself, flight and couple of excursions.

I am guessing we will be booking couple of more smaller excursion. But, in total looks like we will be spending about 4k.

Does this seem right? I feel like we are over spending.

How much has it cost you in the past?
yep!

Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfTheSeas View Post
Now you have inspired me to go back and total it up. We have spread out the cost of this trip over most of a year.
Ditto - we just paid off our last excursion...

Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmorg View Post
I refuse to total it all up... we are going all out with our upcoming Alaskan cruise.
This is my philosophy as well. Well okay, I added some of it up and yes it is expensive, but it is ALASKA and this will be a once in a lifetime trip. Figured out yesterday we had some open time at Denali Lodge, so booked a Flightseeing tour with Glacier landing. Go big or go home......

Grand Princess - Alaska 10 Day out of San Fran - 7/13
Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers - Alaska 6/12
Grand Princess - Southern Caribbean 12/11
Caribbean Princess - Caribbean from NYC 6/11
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera 1/11
Island Princess - Panama Canal 4/10
Crown Princess - Western Caribbean 11/09
Caribbean Princess - Classic Southern Caribbean 4/09
Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean 11/08
Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera - 11/07
Star Princess - Western Caribbean 12/06
Dawn Princess - Southern Caribbean 11/03
Golden Princess - Eastern Caribbean 4/03
Disney Magic - Western Caribbran 9/02

Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell82 View Post
This is my philosophy as well. Well okay, I added some of it up and yes it is expensive, but it is ALASKA and this will be a once in a lifetime trip. Figured out yesterday we had some open time at Denali Lodge, so booked a Flightseeing tour with Glacier landing. Go big or go home......
Add me to that list! I am only planning on doing Alaska once . . . as of now. I'm going to do ALL the things I want to do, helicopter rides, flightseeing, etc. I thought our "swim with the dolphins" was expensive in Cozumel until I saw the prices on these excursions. The cruise alone (not booked yet, but . . . ) will most likely be around $7K bc we need two cabins (one balcony, one interior). Then airfare from the Washington DC area . . . yeah, I don't want to add it up either. That's why I'm planning it two years out!

Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I get nothing out of this except the satisfaction of helping people enjoy the area in which I live. Rarely is there even a thank you. If I (and the others who you would admonish to stay on topic) am not deserving of the occasional aside comment, then one of us is in the wrong "community".
As I have been on this forum longer and longer I notice a lot more chiding of people. It is starting to get old, and I don't like it.

I, too, post to help people. Back in the day, I was a teacher and do enjoy informing people when I can. Although a thank you would be nice, I simply wish people would come back with a follow up post. I get annoyed when someone makes a post, many take the time to offer suggestions and then the OP never comes back to tell us what they decided. That is my pet peeve.

Now I will sit back and wait to be chided for not staying on topic.

HAL Volendam Alaska June 15, 2008
NCL POA Hawaii May 22, 2010
HAL Amsterdam Alaska August 5, 2011

Last edited by vbmom87; May 22nd, 2012 at 10:59 AM.