Staggered Boarding??

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:13 AM.
Southern California
35,910 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by JimmyVWine
In the same way that they lie to us when they publish that wine is limited to a single bottle per passenger and no hard liquor can be brought on board. In the same way they lie to us when they say that old coffee cards will be punched for the receipt of brewed coffee.

You can call it a lie if you wish. Or you can call it a procedure that they are not enforcing. Does the nomenclature really matter? Someone probably decided that the best way to get 20% of passengers to defer arrival would be to announce a draconian boarding process. Just like someone probably decided that the best way from turning voyages into booze cruises would be to publish a limit on personal wine allowances. Maybe 20% compliance is all that they really need to fall in their comfort zone. I have no idea. But until we see jack-booted security guards ushering folks away from terminals with helmets and riot shields, I am not going to panic about what they put in small print in an email.
Originally posted by RickEk
Well said...
It was a yes or no question. A simple yes would have been fine. Nobody asked you to justify your answer.
205 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I appreciate you taking the time to write to us and I have noted your comments in relation to our decision to introduce a staggered embarkation system in Southampton. This has been implemented following an extensive review and aims to offer our passengers a smoother embarkation process.

The times given are operated as a guideline and we would kindly ask that passengers adhere to their allocated time, as this has proven to help prevent any long queues. It also means that check-in is faster and more efficient. This operation was trialled during the summer season of 2011 and proved to be very effective indeed in reducing waiting times at the terminal. That said, we are aware that there are instances when it may not be possible for passengers to meet the times detailed and this has been taken into account. Additionally, I can confirm that a preferred check-in desk will remain open for our Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members, as well as those booked in a Suite.



This is a copy of an email received today from Princess,following my query re SB at Soton. (My concern was our arrival by car, and the unknown quantity road travel presents beforehand, as well as the fact that our travelling companions are sited on a different deck to us.)

I interpret the wording to mean that common sense prevails, and that should our arrangement mean we arrive outside our boarding time, that will not be a major infringement of Princess rules. (The SB procedure referred to last year was not enforced, for us anyway, and we boarded with a family member also on a different deck.)

What is your opinion please?
Santa Rosa, Ca
1,151 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by sez809
I appreciate you taking the time to write to us and I have noted your comments in relation to our decision to introduce a staggered embarkation system in Southampton. This has been implemented following an extensive review and aims to offer our passengers a smoother embarkation process.

The times given are operated as a guideline and we would kindly ask that passengers adhere to their allocated time, as this has proven to help prevent any long queues. It also means that check-in is faster and more efficient. This operation was trialled during the summer season of 2011 and proved to be very effective indeed in reducing waiting times at the terminal. That said, we are aware that there are instances when it may not be possible for passengers to meet the times detailed and this has been taken into account. Additionally, I can confirm that a preferred check-in desk will remain open for our Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members, as well as those booked in a Suite.



This is a copy of an email received today from Princess,following my query re SB at Soton. (My concern was our arrival by car, and the unknown quantity road travel presents beforehand, as well as the fact that our travelling companions are sited on a different deck to us.)

I interpret the wording to mean that common sense prevails, and that should our arrangement mean we arrive outside our boarding time, that will not be a major infringement of Princess rules. (The SB procedure referred to last year was not enforced, for us anyway, and we boarded with a family member also on a different deck.)

What is your opinion please?
This is a printed version of what has been happening in reality. As you say, common sense prevails, The Staggered boarding is a guideline that may help avoid long lines and make boarding smoother. If your flight arrives early, you will be checked in early and not turned away.
If you are concerned about long lines and can arrive at the "suggested boarding time" it will help eliminate that problem.
Also Platinum and Elite customers will have a separate line that will always be open.

Princess is not stupid, this entire process was instigated to help solve an EXISTING problem. It was designed to make the boarding process operate smoother. It was strictly for the benefit of their customers, as there is no other benefit for Princess. It is a work in progress.

Now relax and enjoy your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Always look on the Bright side of Life!"

[email protected]

Mexican Cruise Viking Serenade,RCI Dec 1997
Caribbean cruise, Monarch of the Seas, Sept 2001
Tahiti and Islands, Tahitian Princess, October 2004
Alaska Inside Passage, cruise tour, Diamond Princess, September 2008
Grand Mediterranean Ruby Princess Aug 2012

League City, TX
38,435 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by JimmyVWine
In the same way they lie to us when they say that old coffee cards will be punched for the receipt of brewed coffee.
Not a lie
League City, TX
38,435 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Matcodixon
Concept vs reality.

SO far there has been one actual boarding process that had problems that have been related to this staggered boarding thing. (SF port, one cruise) Some of those actually present that day have reported that the probelm was not due to the boarding process, but instead customs delayed getting those off the ship and delayed the boarding process in the first place.

I have been reading these posts since the first one. The posts that report delays as a result are only related to that one time. All the other posts report smooth boarding process and no delays. the other 90% of the posts are from those that have yet to personally experience any real problems.
People have not been complaining that there have been long lines because of staggered boarding.

The main complaints have been that those assigned to the later times lose out on the opportunity to enjoy lunch in a dining room, sign up for a lounge in the Sanctuary, sign up for the UST and sign up for the Chef's Table.

The other main complaint has been that some of the staggered boarding notices say that priority boarding will not be honored until the assigned check-in time. So, if enforced, a person with priority status with a scheduled time of 3:30 PM who arrives at 1 PM would have to wait around 2.5 hours and then get a two minute advantage over others on his/her assigned deck. Again, that is "if enforced."

Even without staggered boarding, after the first hour there have rarely been long lines to check-in. At best, staggered boarding only reduces the line before initital check-in starts.
3,543 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by caribill
Not a lie
Reports on coffee card enforcement vary, so the implementation of the new procedure appears to be inconsistent. If you are one of the lucky ones who slips one past the goalie, then the stated policy is a "lie". Someone else's word. Not mine.
Alberta
2,365 Posts
Joined May 2004
we are not supposed to get upset with Princess as they are not enforcing this..but we won't know if they are enforcing it til we get to the pier

this does not let one plan...some people like to board late..I like to get on early...can relax once I am on the ship..no worries about missing the sailing

also like to get to know the ship before it is crowded

so to avoid crowds Princess randomly selects boarding times and then does not really enforce it..or maybe it does..if this is really an issue they could let you select preferred boarding time once you are booked..first come first served...

and it does not really matter if some people think this is not a big issue. It is enough of one for me to NOT book Princess
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Captain Canuck
Washington State
2,834 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by RickEk
I also think this is much ado about nothing. Maybe if they drop the "will not be permitted to enter the terminal" verbiage from the notice, it'd make people around here feel better.
...and if they say that the staggered boarding times are a suggestion to avoid long lines. As it stands now, the wording is very strong and final sounding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Explorer of the Seas (Pacific Coastal) - 10/16 ... Photos ... Compasses
Ruby Princess (Sea of Cortez) - 3/16 ... Photos ... Patters
Star Princess (Hawaii) - 3/14 ... Photos ... Patters
Coral Princess (Panama Canal) - 4/12 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Alaska) - 6/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Hawaii) - 1/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Mariner of the Seas (Mexico) - 12/09 ... Photos ... Compasses
Sapphire Princess (Mexico) - 2/09 ... Photos ... Patters
Star Princess (Alaska) - 5/08 ... Photos ... Patters
Dawn Princess (Caribbean) - 4/05 ... Photos ... Patters
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexico) -1/01 ... Compasses
Carnival Holiday (Mexico) - 1/99 ... Capers
RCCL Song of America (Mexico) - 3/97 ... Compasses
Carnival Imagination (Caribbean) - 4/96 ... Capers
Celebrity Meridian (Caribbean) - 3/94 ...Photos ... Dailies
NCL Southward (Mexico) - 7/93 ... Dailies
Carnival Jubilee (Mexico) - 2/91 ... Photos ... Capers
Raleigh NC
24,461 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Jasperdo
...and if they say that the staggered boarding times are a suggestion to avoid long lines. As it stands now, the wording is very strong and final sounding.
Exactly, don't tell me I will be turned away and then say "o' we did not really mean that". This is a solution looking for a problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kirk


Future Cruises
HAL Amsterdam 1-4-2017 - The World Cruise
HAL Prinsendam 7-15-2017 - Four months on the Elegant Explorer
Hurtengruten Fram 12-15-2017 - Christmas and New Years with the penguins
HAL Amsterdam 1-4-2018 - FLL to Sydney Segment
Azamara Journey 3-7-2018 - An Azamara World Cruise
Crystal Serenity 2-20-2019 - Perth to Cape Town
San Francisco Bay Area
5,765 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
This is really starting to sound more like work and less like a vacation. Will they or won't they?? Hmmm.....
Why in the world would Princess think this is what paying passengers want to deal with?? Seriously....kind of like it is their duty to make us all unhappy.

I went through one most horrible 'staggered' embarkation and one not so bad embarkation ...supposed to be staggered. I wish they would just do away with it. It is NOT working.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Raider
Auckland, New Zealand
294 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Boarded Golden Princess in Seattle yesterday. Advertised as staggered boarding but was not. We arrived at 11.15am checked in with 5 mins and then waited until boarding commenced close to noon.

So staggered boarding at Seattle looks like false advertising on the part of Princess or simply crowd control for older rule-following passengers.
Houston, Texas, USA
3,544 Posts
Joined May 2002
Originally posted by MrYellowDuck
Boarded Golden Princess in Seattle yesterday. Advertised as staggered boarding but was not. We arrived at 11.15am checked in with 5 mins and then waited until boarding commenced close to noon.

So staggered boarding at Seattle looks like false advertising on the part of Princess or simply crowd control for older rule-following passengers.
Thanks for the update....I wondered what the first week was like in Seattle.

B
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Santa Rosa, Ca
1,151 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by MrYellowDuck
Boarded Golden Princess in Seattle yesterday. Advertised as staggered boarding but was not. We arrived at 11.15am checked in with 5 mins and then waited until boarding commenced close to noon.

So staggered boarding at Seattle looks like false advertising on the part of Princess or simply crowd control for older rule-following passengers.
In other words, it worked

And you are saying that the young ones don't follow the rules?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Always look on the Bright side of Life!"

[email protected]

Mexican Cruise Viking Serenade,RCI Dec 1997
Caribbean cruise, Monarch of the Seas, Sept 2001
Tahiti and Islands, Tahitian Princess, October 2004
Alaska Inside Passage, cruise tour, Diamond Princess, September 2008
Grand Mediterranean Ruby Princess Aug 2012

205 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by MrYellowDuck
Boarded Golden Princess in Seattle yesterday. Advertised as staggered boarding but was not. We arrived at 11.15am checked in with 5 mins and then waited until boarding commenced close to noon.

So staggered boarding at Seattle looks like false advertising on the part of Princess or simply crowd control for older rule-following passengers.
This is good to hear! Sounds very similar to our experience on the Grand last summer,from Southampton. Heres hoping it will be the same in August, for us!

Thanks for sharing.
25,296 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by Near the Jack
Jean....a Kettle? Brilliant news how did you manage that one? I've been told its a no noand would really love to have our own kettle in our stateroom...what is your secret
Andy
Sorry to be tardy in my reply, but I just saw your post. We just packed it in our suitcase. It's a Bodum 17 oz. kettle (1/2 a liter?) that we found on Amazon.com for $29.99 or so. It's not insulated, so it gets a bit hot to the touch, but not as much as my hair iron. And the TV blather did say that kettles with an automatic shutoff were permitted (actually said that kettles without the shutoff were prohibited). Although later at muster drill they said no kettles, so we kept it out of sight except when it was in use.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Jean


Block Island Ferry 1965

Nordic Empress 4/95; Vision of the Seas 10/02, 5/03,1/06,11/07, 12/07, 11/08, 9/12; Splendour of the Seas 10/03; Monarch of the Seas 2/04, 12/04, 9/05, 6/06, 9/06, 1/07, 02/07, 04/07, 05/07B2B, 08/07, 11/07, 2/08, 03/08, 04/08B2B, 6/08, 7/08-2x,08/08x3, 9/08x2, 10/08, 6/09, 12/11; Radiance of the Seas 9/04, 9/07, 10/09B2B, 11/09, 4/10, 5/15, 04/16, 06/16B2B; Brilliance of the Seas 10/05, 9/12; Serenade of the Seas 10/06, 9/14, 12/14 2/15, 10/15, 8/16; Jewel of the Seas B2B 11/06, 7/07, 10/11, 12/12x2, 1/13; 2/13, 12/13, 5/15, 9/15; Liberty of the Seas 5/07, 3/11, 11/11; Mariner of the Seas 3/08, 02/09, 04/09, 09/09, 01/10, 12/10x2, 01/11; Navigator of the Seas 12/11; Oasis of the Seas 11/09, 01/16 B2B, 10/16 B2B; Rhapsody of the Seas 2/10, 4/11, 5/13, 5/14; Allure of the Seas 11/10, 1/14, Quantum of the Seas 11/14 (89)

Star Princess 5/02, 9/02, 5/12; Diamond Princess 5/04,4/05,5/07; Sun Princess 5/05; Island Princess 05/06; Sapphire Princess 12/09, 3/13, 3/14, Golden Princess 10/13, 11/13 x3, 10/14, 11/14, 4/15, 7/15, Crown Princess 12/14, 1/15 Ruby Princess 2/16, 12/16; (23)

Azamara Journey 12/08 Azamara Quest 05/09, 03/16 (3)

Carnival Paradise 2/09, 07/09, 8/09, 12/09, 3/10, 10/10, 2/11, 09/11 Carnival Inspiration 12/11, 2/12, 11/12, 3/13, 8/13 (13)

HAL Oosterdam 4/11 (1)

Celebrity Xpedition 9/13 (1)

Ponant Le Lyrial - Antarctica - #1 Trip of a Lifetime! (1)
Val Verde, CA, USA
8,408 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by critterchick
Sorry to be tardy in my reply, but I just saw your post. We just packed it in our suitcase. It's a Bodum 17 oz. kettle (1/2 a liter?) that we found on Amazon.com for $29.99 or so. It's not insulated, so it gets a bit hot to the touch, but not as much as my hair iron. And the TV blather did say that kettles with an automatic shutoff were permitted (actually said that kettles without the shutoff were prohibited). Although later at muster drill they said no kettles, so we kept it out of sight except when it was in use.
As long as it has auto-shutoff, it's okay to use onboard. And yes, those without an auto-shutoff are an extreme fire danger and should never be brought aboard. If found, they would be confiscated. Hopefully, that'd be done before the luggage ever got to the passenger...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


I am a Princess employee and my views do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Raleigh NC
24,461 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Just to provide a second hand update on this topic. On our CP roll call, we have had posts from some folks on the ship as we speak (or type in this case). Even though staggered boarding was in effect, no one was being turned away in Southampton.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kirk


Future Cruises
HAL Amsterdam 1-4-2017 - The World Cruise
HAL Prinsendam 7-15-2017 - Four months on the Elegant Explorer
Hurtengruten Fram 12-15-2017 - Christmas and New Years with the penguins
HAL Amsterdam 1-4-2018 - FLL to Sydney Segment
Azamara Journey 3-7-2018 - An Azamara World Cruise
Crystal Serenity 2-20-2019 - Perth to Cape Town
205 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by KirkNC
Just to provide a second hand update on this topic. On our CP roll call, we have had posts from some folks on the ship as we speak (or type in this case). Even though staggered boarding was in effect, no one was being turned away in Southampton.
Excellent news!! Thankyou for sharing!
Boston
8,162 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by KirkNC
Just to provide a second hand update on this topic. On our CP roll call, we have had posts from some folks on the ship as we speak (or type in this case). Even though staggered boarding was in effect, no one was being turned away in Southampton.
Thanks for that update Kirk.
Santa Rosa, Ca
1,151 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
As I posted on another similar thread, Princess needs to change the wording on their announcements to something like this:

To avoid possible long lines when boarding, we recommend the following staggered boarding procedure, however will will not turn anyone away:

The following decks board at these recommended times:

(post list of deck names and times)


Simple solution, no more angry Cruisers., After all, this is exactly the procedure that they ended up following with good results.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Always look on the Bright side of Life!"

[email protected]

Mexican Cruise Viking Serenade,RCI Dec 1997
Caribbean cruise, Monarch of the Seas, Sept 2001
Tahiti and Islands, Tahitian Princess, October 2004
Alaska Inside Passage, cruise tour, Diamond Princess, September 2008
Grand Mediterranean Ruby Princess Aug 2012