Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old May 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVWine View Post
In the same way that they lie to us when they publish that wine is limited to a single bottle per passenger and no hard liquor can be brought on board. In the same way they lie to us when they say that old coffee cards will be punched for the receipt of brewed coffee.

You can call it a lie if you wish. Or you can call it a procedure that they are not enforcing. Does the nomenclature really matter? Someone probably decided that the best way to get 20% of passengers to defer arrival would be to announce a draconian boarding process. Just like someone probably decided that the best way from turning voyages into booze cruises would be to publish a limit on personal wine allowances. Maybe 20% compliance is all that they really need to fall in their comfort zone. I have no idea. But until we see jack-booted security guards ushering folks away from terminals with helmets and riot shields, I am not going to panic about what they put in small print in an email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEk View Post
Well said...
It was a yes or no question. A simple yes would have been fine. Nobody asked you to justify your answer.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

I appreciate you taking the time to write to us and I have noted your comments in relation to our decision to introduce a staggered embarkation system in Southampton. This has been implemented following an extensive review and aims to offer our passengers a smoother embarkation process.

The times given are operated as a guideline and we would kindly ask that passengers adhere to their allocated time, as this has proven to help prevent any long queues. It also means that check-in is faster and more efficient. This operation was trialled during the summer season of 2011 and proved to be very effective indeed in reducing waiting times at the terminal. That said, we are aware that there are instances when it may not be possible for passengers to meet the times detailed and this has been taken into account. Additionally, I can confirm that a preferred check-in desk will remain open for our Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members, as well as those booked in a Suite.

This is a copy of an email received today from Princess,following my query re SB at Soton. (My concern was our arrival by car, and the unknown quantity road travel presents beforehand, as well as the fact that our travelling companions are sited on a different deck to us.)

I interpret the wording to mean that common sense prevails, and that should our arrangement mean we arrive outside our boarding time, that will not be a major infringement of Princess rules. (The SB procedure referred to last year was not enforced, for us anyway, and we boarded with a family member also on a different deck.)

What is your opinion please?

Old May 25th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sez809 View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to write to us and I have noted your comments in relation to our decision to introduce a staggered embarkation system in Southampton. This has been implemented following an extensive review and aims to offer our passengers a smoother embarkation process.

The times given are operated as a guideline and we would kindly ask that passengers adhere to their allocated time, as this has proven to help prevent any long queues. It also means that check-in is faster and more efficient. This operation was trialled during the summer season of 2011 and proved to be very effective indeed in reducing waiting times at the terminal. That said, we are aware that there are instances when it may not be possible for passengers to meet the times detailed and this has been taken into account. Additionally, I can confirm that a preferred check-in desk will remain open for our Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members, as well as those booked in a Suite.

This is a copy of an email received today from Princess,following my query re SB at Soton. (My concern was our arrival by car, and the unknown quantity road travel presents beforehand, as well as the fact that our travelling companions are sited on a different deck to us.)

I interpret the wording to mean that common sense prevails, and that should our arrangement mean we arrive outside our boarding time, that will not be a major infringement of Princess rules. (The SB procedure referred to last year was not enforced, for us anyway, and we boarded with a family member also on a different deck.)

What is your opinion please?
This is a printed version of what has been happening in reality. As you say, common sense prevails, The Staggered boarding is a guideline that may help avoid long lines and make boarding smoother. If your flight arrives early, you will be checked in early and not turned away.
If you are concerned about long lines and can arrive at the "suggested boarding time" it will help eliminate that problem.
Also Platinum and Elite customers will have a separate line that will always be open.

Princess is not stupid, this entire process was instigated to help solve an EXISTING problem. It was designed to make the boarding process operate smoother. It was strictly for the benefit of their customers, as there is no other benefit for Princess. It is a work in progress.

Now relax and enjoy your cruise.

dixonmatco@aol.com

Mexican Cruise Viking Serenade,RCI Dec 1997
Caribbean cruise, Monarch of the Seas, Sept 2001
Tahiti and Islands, Tahitian Princess, October 2004
Alaska Inside Passage, cruise tour, Diamond Princess, September 2008
Grand Mediterranean Ruby Princess Aug 2012

Last edited by Matcodixon; May 25th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Old May 25th, 2012, 03:29 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVWine View Post
In the same way they lie to us when they say that old coffee cards will be punched for the receipt of brewed coffee.
Not a lie

Old May 25th, 2012, 03:38 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcodixon View Post
Concept vs reality.

SO far there has been one actual boarding process that had problems that have been related to this staggered boarding thing. (SF port, one cruise) Some of those actually present that day have reported that the probelm was not due to the boarding process, but instead customs delayed getting those off the ship and delayed the boarding process in the first place.

I have been reading these posts since the first one. The posts that report delays as a result are only related to that one time. All the other posts report smooth boarding process and no delays. the other 90% of the posts are from those that have yet to personally experience any real problems.
People have not been complaining that there have been long lines because of staggered boarding.

The main complaints have been that those assigned to the later times lose out on the opportunity to enjoy lunch in a dining room, sign up for a lounge in the Sanctuary, sign up for the UST and sign up for the Chef's Table.

The other main complaint has been that some of the staggered boarding notices say that priority boarding will not be honored until the assigned check-in time. So, if enforced, a person with priority status with a scheduled time of 3:30 PM who arrives at 1 PM would have to wait around 2.5 hours and then get a two minute advantage over others on his/her assigned deck. Again, that is "if enforced."

Even without staggered boarding, after the first hour there have rarely been long lines to check-in. At best, staggered boarding only reduces the line before initital check-in starts.

Old May 25th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribill View Post
Not a lie
Reports on coffee card enforcement vary, so the implementation of the new procedure appears to be inconsistent. If you are one of the lucky ones who slips one past the goalie, then the stated policy is a "lie". Someone else's word. Not mine.

Old May 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default so let me understand this

we are not supposed to get upset with Princess as they are not enforcing this..but we won't know if they are enforcing it til we get to the pier

this does not let one plan...some people like to board late..I like to get on early...can relax once I am on the ship..no worries about missing the sailing

also like to get to know the ship before it is crowded

so to avoid crowds Princess randomly selects boarding times and then does not really enforce it..or maybe it does..if this is really an issue they could let you select preferred boarding time once you are booked..first come first served...

and it does not really matter if some people think this is not a big issue. It is enough of one for me to NOT book Princess

Old May 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEk View Post
I also think this is much ado about nothing. Maybe if they drop the "will not be permitted to enter the terminal" verbiage from the notice, it'd make people around here feel better.
...and if they say that the staggered boarding times are a suggestion to avoid long lines. As it stands now, the wording is very strong and final sounding.

Star Princess (Hawaii) - 3/14 ... Photos ... Patters
Coral Princess (Panama Canal) - 4/12 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Alaska) - 6/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Hawaii) - 1/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Mariner of the Seas (Mexico) - 12/09 ... Photos ... Compasses
Sapphire Princess (Mexico) - 2/09 ... Photos
Star Princess (Alaska) - 5/08 ... Photos
Dawn Princess (Caribbean) -4/05 ... Photos
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexico) -1/01
Carnival Holiday (Mexico) - 1/99
RCCL Song of America (Mexico) - 3/97
Carnival Imagination (Caribbean) - 4/96
Celebrity Meridian (Caribbean) 3/94
NCL Southward (Mexico) - 7/93
Carnival Jubilee (Mexico) - 2/91 ... Photos ... Capers

Old May 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperdo View Post
...and if they say that the staggered boarding times are a suggestion to avoid long lines. As it stands now, the wording is very strong and final sounding.
Exactly, don't tell me I will be turned away and then say "o' we did not really mean that". This is a solution looking for a problem.

Old May 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Work

This is really starting to sound more like work and less like a vacation. Will they or won't they?? Hmmm.....
Why in the world would Princess think this is what paying passengers want to deal with?? Seriously....kind of like it is their duty to make us all unhappy.

I went through one most horrible 'staggered' embarkation and one not so bad embarkation ...supposed to be staggered. I wish they would just do away with it. It is NOT working.

Old May 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Boarded Golden Princess in Seattle yesterday. Advertised as staggered boarding but was not. We arrived at 11.15am checked in with 5 mins and then waited until boarding commenced close to noon.

So staggered boarding at Seattle looks like false advertising on the part of Princess or simply crowd control for older rule-following passengers.

Old May 27th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYellowDuck View Post
Boarded Golden Princess in Seattle yesterday. Advertised as staggered boarding but was not. We arrived at 11.15am checked in with 5 mins and then waited until boarding commenced close to noon.

So staggered boarding at Seattle looks like false advertising on the part of Princess or simply crowd control for older rule-following passengers.
Thanks for the update....I wondered what the first week was like in Seattle.

B

Old May 27th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

In other words, it worked

And you are saying that the young ones don't follow the rules?

dixonmatco@aol.com

Last edited by Matcodixon; May 27th, 2012 at 03:48 PM.

Old May 27th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

This is good to hear! Sounds very similar to our experience on the Grand last summer,from Southampton. Heres hoping it will be the same in August, for us!

Thanks for sharing.

Old May 30th, 2012, 01:42 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near the Jack View Post
Jean....a Kettle? Brilliant news how did you manage that one? I've been told its a no noand would really love to have our own kettle in our stateroom...what is your secret
Andy
Sorry to be tardy in my reply, but I just saw your post. We just packed it in our suitcase. It's a Bodum 17 oz. kettle (1/2 a liter?) that we found on Amazon.com for $29.99 or so. It's not insulated, so it gets a bit hot to the touch, but not as much as my hair iron. And the TV blather did say that kettles with an automatic shutoff were permitted (actually said that kettles without the shutoff were prohibited). Although later at muster drill they said no kettles, so we kept it out of sight except when it was in use.

RCI's 2013 wine list is here: http://s1331.photobucket.com/user/cr...?sort=6&page=1

Block Island Ferry 1965

Nordic Empress 4/95; Vision of the Seas 10/02, 5/03,1/06,11/07, 12/07, 11/08, 9/12; Splendour of the Seas 10/03; Monarch of the Seas 2/04, 12/04, 9/05, 6/06, 9/06, 1/07, 02/07, 04/07, 05/07B2B, 08/07, 11/07, 2/08, 03/08, 04/08B2B, 6/08, 7/08-2x,08/08x3, 9/08x2, 10/08, 6/09, 12/11; Radiance of the Seas 9/04, 9/07, 10/09B2B, 11/09, 4/10; Brilliance of the Seas 10/05, 9/12; Serenade of the Seas 10/06; Jewel of the Seas B2B 11/06, 7/07, 10/11, 12/12x2, 1/13; 2/13, 12/13, Liberty of the Seas 5/07, 3/11, 11/11; Mariner of the Seas 3/08, 02/09, 04/09, 09/09, 01/10, 12/10x2, 01/11; Navigator of the Seas 12/11; Oasis of the Seas 11/09; Rhapsody of the Seas 2/10, 4/11, 5/13, 5/14; Allure of the Seas 11/10, 1/14[/color]

Star Princess 5/02, 9/02, 5/12; Diamond Princess 5/04,4/05,5/07; Sun Princess 5/05; Island Princess 05/06; Sapphire Princess 12/09, 3/13, 3/14, Golden Princess 10/13, 11/13 x3

Azamara Journey 12/08 Azamara Quest 05/09

Carnival Paradise 2/09, 07/09, 8/09, 12/09, 3/10, 10/10, 2/11, 09/11 Carnival Inspiration 12/11, 2/12, 11/12, 3/13, 8/13

HAL Oosterdam 4/11

Celebrity Xpedition - a trip of a lifetime! 9/13

Old May 30th, 2012, 03:08 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterchick View Post
Sorry to be tardy in my reply, but I just saw your post. We just packed it in our suitcase. It's a Bodum 17 oz. kettle (1/2 a liter?) that we found on Amazon.com for $29.99 or so. It's not insulated, so it gets a bit hot to the touch, but not as much as my hair iron. And the TV blather did say that kettles with an automatic shutoff were permitted (actually said that kettles without the shutoff were prohibited). Although later at muster drill they said no kettles, so we kept it out of sight except when it was in use.
As long as it has auto-shutoff, it's okay to use onboard. And yes, those without an auto-shutoff are an extreme fire danger and should never be brought aboard. If found, they would be confiscated. Hopefully, that'd be done before the luggage ever got to the passenger...

Old June 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM
10,000+ Club

Just to provide a second hand update on this topic. On our CP roll call, we have had posts from some folks on the ship as we speak (or type in this case). Even though staggered boarding was in effect, no one was being turned away in Southampton.

Old June 1st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkNC View Post
Just to provide a second hand update on this topic. On our CP roll call, we have had posts from some folks on the ship as we speak (or type in this case). Even though staggered boarding was in effect, no one was being turned away in Southampton.
Excellent news!! Thankyou for sharing!

Old June 1st, 2012, 03:30 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkNC View Post
Thanks for that update Kirk.

Old June 1st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

As I posted on another similar thread, Princess needs to change the wording on their announcements to something like this:

To avoid possible long lines when boarding, we recommend the following staggered boarding procedure, however will will not turn anyone away:

The following decks board at these recommended times:

(post list of deck names and times)

Simple solution, no more angry Cruisers., After all, this is exactly the procedure that they ended up following with good results.

dixonmatco@aol.com

Last edited by Matcodixon; June 1st, 2012 at 04:42 PM.