How do I find out daily dinner schedule (formal, etc.)?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:32 AM.
Atlantic City, NJ
349 Posts
Joined May 2012
How can I find out in advance which nights of my cruise are formal nights and so on? I'm trying to book some specialty dining but I don't want to miss the formal night(s) in the MDR. We'll be sailing on Royal Caribbean's Allure on Aug. 26th.

THANKS!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Yeh, don't believe that "sailed August 26th, 2012" thing above ... we were delayed 'til August 28th, 2012 due to TS Isaac ... only had a 5-day cruise instead of 7.

Greenville, SC, USA
51,207 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
You can ask on the section for RCI. People there will probably know.

Also, first day on board, most cruise lines give you the schedule for the cruise including formal nights. Double check that
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Columbus,Ohio
5,537 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
This may vary somewhat, but typically, at least on a 7-day cruise, your second day will be a formal night, and the next to the last day will be a formal night, since everyone has to pack on their last day before returning to port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Conquest May 2016
Carnival Breeze May 2015
Carnival Liberty May 2013
Carnival Liberty May 2012
Carnival Sensation Feb. 2008
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas March 2002
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2000
Carnival Imagination Sept. 1999
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 1999
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 1997
Boca Raton, FL
3,043 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
On the western Allure, I am pretty sure that it was Monday and Thursday nights (both sea days).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alan & Allyn

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]
Philadelphia area
600 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by beachbum53
This may vary somewhat, but typically, at least on a 7-day cruise, your second day will be a formal night, and the next to the last day will be a formal night, since everyone has to pack on their last day before returning to port.
Thank you, that is helpful. I was trying to find this out with little success.

Sorry, not to be dense, just to make sure that I understand I get your count of days correct, your post means that if we embark on Sunday afternoon, and disembark the next Sunday morning, then the formal nights will likely be Monday and Friday nights, correct?

(We are on HAL Statendam, Vancouver>Seward, this July)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New to cruising, but an experienced traveler
Petaluma, Ca. 94954
27,806 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Yes, your understanding is correct. As mentioned, in your case, this is extensively discussed on the HAL board.
Columbus,Ohio
5,537 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by pdmlynek
Thank you, that is helpful. I was trying to find this out with little success.

Sorry, not to be dense, just to make sure that I understand I get your count of days correct, your post means that if we embark on Sunday afternoon, and disembark the next Sunday morning, then the formal nights will likely be Monday and Friday nights, correct?

(We are on HAL Statendam, Vancouver>Seward, this July)
Yes. However, it's not set in stone, so make it a point to check with your cruise line to get the exact information.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Conquest May 2016
Carnival Breeze May 2015
Carnival Liberty May 2013
Carnival Liberty May 2012
Carnival Sensation Feb. 2008
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas March 2002
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2000
Carnival Imagination Sept. 1999
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 1999
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 1997
Philadelphia area
6,726 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by CleveRocks
How can I find out in advance which nights of my cruise are formal nights and so on? I'm trying to book some specialty dining but I don't want to miss the formal night(s) in the MDR. We'll be sailing on Royal Caribbean's Allure on Aug. 26th.

THANKS!
For your specific cruise, you can probably get the best info on your Roll Call.

Join in and start meeting some of those that will be sailing with you.
Atlantic City, NJ
349 Posts
Joined May 2012
Thanks all!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Yeh, don't believe that "sailed August 26th, 2012" thing above ... we were delayed 'til August 28th, 2012 due to TS Isaac ... only had a 5-day cruise instead of 7.