Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM
freetocruise's Avatar
freetocruise freetocruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,125
Default

I have to say that I am not a fan of any of the piano players in the various Crooners' Bars. They mostly are too loud, too hammy and attract large crowds that fill up the bar and surrounding walkways. Don't get me wrong, if the piano playing is softer and allows for conversations, I have no problem with it. But many of the players put on a show that is better located in a venue designed for audiences. Please leave me one quiet bar where I can have an after dinner drink in peace.
Reply With Quote

  #102  
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:32 PM
lv2cruiseanywhere's Avatar
lv2cruiseanywhere lv2cruiseanywhere is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 238
Default Ray Coussins

Ray Coussins gets my vote. He was Frank Sinatra's piano player back in the day..

We were on the 14-day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in February 2012 and chose that cruise specifically because Ray Coussins was performing in Crooner's each night. We had a fabulous time with him.

Our next cruise, a B2B out of Galveston was again selected around Ray Coussins' schedule. He will be on the Crown Princess early in 2013. You can hear him at www.thepianoplayer.biz
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #103  
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:20 PM
grandmaa grandmaa is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 1,099
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetocruise View Post
I have to say that I am not a fan of any of the piano players in the various Crooners' Bars. They mostly are too loud, too hammy and attract large crowds that fill up the bar and surrounding walkways. Don't get me wrong, if the piano playing is softer and allows for conversations, I have no problem with it. But many of the players put on a show that is better located in a venue designed for audiences. Please leave me one quiet bar where I can have an after dinner drink in peace.
That is what a venue like Adagio is for..background music in a more private location. Crooners is out in the open and is a place for showmanship IMHO and that is why they have these entertainers..plus most are very personable and interact with the audience. We think Ray Coussins is great as well as Barty Brown and Bert Stratton to name a few. A fun place to spend some time when the slot machines are not very nice!
Reply With Quote

  #104  
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
LARGIN's Avatar
LARGIN LARGIN is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 12,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2cruiseanywhere View Post
Ray Coussins gets my vote. He was Frank Sinatra's piano player back in the day..

We were on the 14-day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in February 2012 and chose that cruise specifically because Ray Coussins was performing in Crooner's each night. We had a fabulous time with him.

Our next cruise, a B2B out of Galveston was again selected around Ray Coussins' schedule. He will be on the Crown Princess early in 2013. You can hear him at www.thepianoplayer.biz

Agree.. Ray is our favorite...
__________________
"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Future Cruises: Star Princess January 2015, Star Princess April 2015, Golden Princess August 2015
Completed Cruises: Coral Princess (11),
Star Princess (6), Regal Princess (old) (5), Golden Princess (4), Caribbean Princess (4), Dawn Princess (3), Grand Princess (3), Sky Princess (2), Fairwind (2), Ruby Princess (1), Sapphire Princess (1), Island Princess (1), Fair Princess (1)

Reply With Quote

  #105  
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM
cruisinggirl13 cruisinggirl13 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 26
Default

Arny G is our favorite, by far!! Most versatile, personable, entertaining, and talented. We book cruises just to go with him.
Reply With Quote

  #106  
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
freetocruise's Avatar
freetocruise freetocruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaa View Post
That is what a venue like Adagio is for..background music in a more private location. Crooners is out in the open and is a place for showmanship IMHO and that is why they have these entertainers..plus most are very personable and interact with the audience. We think Ray Coussins is great as well as Barty Brown and Bert Stratton to name a few. A fun place to spend some time when the slot machines are not very nice!
Only three ships have an Adagios and we usually seem to be on those without one.
Reply With Quote

  #107  
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM
grandmaa grandmaa is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 1,099
Default

You are correct..the newer ships have Adagios. It is really a lovely spot..we have enjoyed it on the Ruby and Emerald.
Reply With Quote

  #108  
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:53 PM
PescadoAmarillo's Avatar
PescadoAmarillo PescadoAmarillo is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo222 View Post
Barty signed off on 11/28

He's doing the ruby transatlantic in the spring.

And, 40 days in the winter -- but I can't remember if it's
on Emerald or Ruby

He's a nice guy. We first saw him on the old Crown Princess in 1992
Barth only left for the holidays and returned to the Emerald either 1/7 or 1/17.
__________________
856 days ~ 84 cruises ~ 27 ships ~ 16 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
Reply With Quote

  #109  
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:09 AM
fathercop's Avatar
fathercop fathercop is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 1,799
Default

I've actually enjoyed all of them, for the most part. Arny G. and Bert Stratton have been the piano bar entertainers we've probably cruised with the most. I have heard some of the music that Bert has written that he doesn't play on the ships and it has a completely different feel to it that is enjoyable and good.
__________________
FatherCop

Star Princess - 2003, Diamond Princess - 2004, 2006, Caribbean Princess - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014 B2B,
Emerald Princess - 2007, Ruby Princess - 2008, Grand Princess - 2009, Crown Princess - 2012
Island Princess - 2012, Royal Princess - Oct 2013, Nov 2013. Coral Princess - Oct 2015

Reply With Quote

  #110  
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Pythian's Avatar
Pythian Pythian is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida Space Coast
Posts: 1,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGIN View Post
Just received an email from Ray Coussins. He will be playing piano on the Crown starting March 12th..
I'm on the Crown tomorrow and hope Ray Coussins is still on-board. He is superb. Personally, I like Larry Dunsmore the best - humor, voice and playing talent. As for Bert Stratton - Yikes! A lot of people like him, but I sure don't. Listened to him for about 20 minutes once and did not like him at all - and then every evening, I would hear the exact same comments/music and 'skit' as I left the dining room and had to pass by him and the bar.
__________________



Last edited by Pythian; April 27th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #111  
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM
mysweetness mysweetness is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 82
Default

we were on the Grand last week and really enjoyed Alan Shields at Crooners.
he is a wonderful piano player and singer.
he is not an over-the top showman demanding attention.
he just plays his music...and he'll take requests.
some people talk a little but most are listening.
one night he had his own show in the Vista lounge.

also love Barty on the Emerald.
completely different type, but so much fun and full of information.
more storytelling than singing.
Reply With Quote

  #112  
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM
WeBeGone's Avatar
WeBeGone WeBeGone is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fulton, Texas
Posts: 5,823
Default

Maurizio
__________________
Loved:
ALASKA-Sapphire-Seattle,Ketchikan,Juneau,Skagway
BALTIC-Emerald-Copenhagen,Stockholm,Helsinki,StPetersburg, Tallinn,Gdynia,Oslo
BVI-RoyalStarClipper-Barbados,StBarts,NormanIsland, VirginGorda,Antigua,StKitts,IlesdesSaintes,Dominic a,StLucia
CARIBBEAN:
Bahamas-Magica/Fascination/Imagination/MajestyOfTheSeas/Century/Caribbean/Skyx4/Ruby/AllureOfTheSeas
East-Star-FtLaud,SanJuan,Tortola,StThomas,GrdCayman
South-Ocean(old)-Barbados,StLucia,StMartin, StThomas,Antigua/Emerald-PCay,StThomas,Dominica,Grenada,Bonaire,Aruba
West-Grand/Ruby/Crown/Dawn-Roatan,OchoRios,GrCayman,Cozumel,PCay
CHINA-Century Sun-Shanghai,Yangtze,Xian,Beijing
EGYPT-MS Nile Dolphin-Cairo,Luxor,Edfu,Aswan,AbuSimbel
MED-Star-Rome,Naples,Athens,Ephesus,Istanbul,Cairo,Alexandr ia
PanCANAL-Coralx2-CostaMaya,GrdCayman,Limon,Colon
SoAMERICA-Star-Rio,Montevideo,BuenosAires,Falklands, CapeHorn,PuntaArenas,Valparaiso,Coquimbo,Callao,Ma nta,Puntarenas,SanJuandelSur,Manzanillo,Cabo,SanFr an
TAHITI-TahitianB2B-Papeete,Marquesas,Society,CookIslands
TransATLANTIC-Star-Rome,Livorno,Genoa,Cannes,Barcelona,Cadiz,Tangiers ,Gibralter,Madeira,FtLaud
GREEK ISLANDS- Holland America Ryndam - Athens to Istanbul


Reply With Quote

  #113  
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM
jkocpa jkocpa is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathercop View Post
I've actually enjoyed all of them, for the most part. Arny G. and Bert Stratton have been the piano bar entertainers we've probably cruised with the most. I have heard some of the music that Bert has written that he doesn't play on the ships and it has a completely different feel to it that is enjoyable and good.
Fathercop, I see that you are going to be on the Island on Oct 13. You will be traveling with Arny G again, since he will be in Crooners that cruise.
Reply With Quote

  #114  
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Carolyn R's Avatar
Carolyn R Carolyn R is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,687
Default

I like Kory Simon. He was on the Crown this winter and I also sailed with him a few years ago on RCCL Navigator of the Seas.
__________________


Reply With Quote

  #115  
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
drbillmc drbillmc is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: clifton park, ny, usa
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkocpa View Post
Fathercop, I see that you are going to be on the Island on Oct 13. You will be traveling with Arny G again, since he will be in Crooners that cruise.
Judy
Great to hear Arny will be on the Grand in the fall. We are looking at the Grand from Nov. 24th thru Dec. 8. What are your plans this fall? We are leaving soon for a three week drive around Ireland.
Bill
Reply With Quote

  #116  
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
jkocpa jkocpa is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbillmc View Post
Judy
Great to hear Arny will be on the Grand in the fall. We are looking at the Grand from Nov. 24th thru Dec. 8. What are your plans this fall? We are leaving soon for a three week drive around Ireland.
Bill
Hi Bill. No, Arny won't be on the Grand. He was on the Grand all last fall. He will be on the Island this fall, doing the Panama Canal runs. We are joining him for two of them, the Sept 28, 15 day full transit and the Dec 10 partial transit. In the meantime, we will be doing two short cruises, the May 12 coastal on the Sapphire from LA to Vancouver and the a short 4 day to Ketchikan and back on the Golden. One of these years we will be back on the same ship together! Have a great trip around Ireland! We had talked about doing two weeks driving around England, but hasn't happened yet. Since I'm still working, when I take time off, I really like the relaxation of cruising, and not the stress of driving on the "other" side of the road.
Take care.
Judy
Reply With Quote

  #117  
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:36 PM
sssteele's Avatar
sssteele sssteele is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 972
Default

Maurizio(is that right). Is he still around?
Reply With Quote

  #118  
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:37 AM
PLW0520 PLW0520 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteele View Post
Maurizio(is that right). Is he still around?
Yes he was on our AUS/NZ cruise on the Diamond in Jan. We really enjoyed his shows.
Reply With Quote

  #119  
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
CarnPrinRoyHollNor CarnPrinRoyHollNor is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 116
Default

Does anybody know who will be on the Diamond 7/21-8/4/12?

Also, is Crooners enclosed? Is it a smoking bar?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote

  #120  
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM
ChiefBoats ChiefBoats is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 386
Default

We were on the Coral in Feb/Mar for a Panama Canal cruise and the entertainer in the Crooners Lounge was the piano player for Frank Sinatra.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.