Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have to say that I am not a fan of any of the piano players in the various Crooners' Bars. They mostly are too loud, too hammy and attract large crowds that fill up the bar and surrounding walkways. Don't get me wrong, if the piano playing is softer and allows for conversations, I have no problem with it. But many of the players put on a show that is better located in a venue designed for audiences. Please leave me one quiet bar where I can have an after dinner drink in peace.

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ray Coussins

Ray Coussins gets my vote. He was Frank Sinatra's piano player back in the day..

We were on the 14-day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in February 2012 and chose that cruise specifically because Ray Coussins was performing in Crooner's each night. We had a fabulous time with him.

Our next cruise, a B2B out of Galveston was again selected around Ray Coussins' schedule. He will be on the Crown Princess early in 2013. You can hear him at www.thepianoplayer.biz

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetocruise View Post
I have to say that I am not a fan of any of the piano players in the various Crooners' Bars. They mostly are too loud, too hammy and attract large crowds that fill up the bar and surrounding walkways. Don't get me wrong, if the piano playing is softer and allows for conversations, I have no problem with it. But many of the players put on a show that is better located in a venue designed for audiences. Please leave me one quiet bar where I can have an after dinner drink in peace.
That is what a venue like Adagio is for..background music in a more private location. Crooners is out in the open and is a place for showmanship IMHO and that is why they have these entertainers..plus most are very personable and interact with the audience. We think Ray Coussins is great as well as Barty Brown and Bert Stratton to name a few. A fun place to spend some time when the slot machines are not very nice!

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2cruiseanywhere View Post
Ray Coussins gets my vote. He was Frank Sinatra's piano player back in the day..

We were on the 14-day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess in February 2012 and chose that cruise specifically because Ray Coussins was performing in Crooner's each night. We had a fabulous time with him.

Our next cruise, a B2B out of Galveston was again selected around Ray Coussins' schedule. He will be on the Crown Princess early in 2013. You can hear him at www.thepianoplayer.biz

Agree.. Ray is our favorite...

Future Cruises: Star Princess January 2015, Star Princess April 2015, Golden Princess August 2015
Completed Cruises: Coral Princess (11),
Star Princess (6), Regal Princess (old) (5), Golden Princess (4), Caribbean Princess (4), Dawn Princess (3), Grand Princess (3), Sky Princess (2), Fairwind (2), Ruby Princess (1), Sapphire Princess (1), Island Princess (1), Fair Princess (1)

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Arny G is our favorite, by far!! Most versatile, personable, entertaining, and talented. We book cruises just to go with him.

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaa View Post
That is what a venue like Adagio is for..background music in a more private location. Crooners is out in the open and is a place for showmanship IMHO and that is why they have these entertainers..plus most are very personable and interact with the audience. We think Ray Coussins is great as well as Barty Brown and Bert Stratton to name a few. A fun place to spend some time when the slot machines are not very nice!
Only three ships have an Adagios and we usually seem to be on those without one.

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

You are correct..the newer ships have Adagios. It is really a lovely spot..we have enjoyed it on the Ruby and Emerald.

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:53 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo222 View Post
Barty signed off on 11/28

He's doing the ruby transatlantic in the spring.

And, 40 days in the winter -- but I can't remember if it's
on Emerald or Ruby

He's a nice guy. We first saw him on the old Crown Princess in 1992
Barth only left for the holidays and returned to the Emerald either 1/7 or 1/17.

Old April 27th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've actually enjoyed all of them, for the most part. Arny G. and Bert Stratton have been the piano bar entertainers we've probably cruised with the most. I have heard some of the music that Bert has written that he doesn't play on the ships and it has a completely different feel to it that is enjoyable and good.

Star Princess - 2003, Diamond Princess - 2004, 2006, Caribbean Princess - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014 B2B,
Emerald Princess - 2007, Ruby Princess - 2008, Grand Princess - 2009, Crown Princess - 2012
Island Princess - 2012, Royal Princess - Oct 2013, Nov 2013. Coral Princess - Oct 2015

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGIN View Post
Just received an email from Ray Coussins. He will be playing piano on the Crown starting March 12th..
I'm on the Crown tomorrow and hope Ray Coussins is still on-board. He is superb. Personally, I like Larry Dunsmore the best - humor, voice and playing talent. As for Bert Stratton - Yikes! A lot of people like him, but I sure don't. Listened to him for about 20 minutes once and did not like him at all - and then every evening, I would hear the exact same comments/music and 'skit' as I left the dining room and had to pass by him and the bar.

Last edited by Pythian; April 27th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Old April 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

we were on the Grand last week and really enjoyed Alan Shields at Crooners.
he is a wonderful piano player and singer.
he is not an over-the top showman demanding attention.
he just plays his music...and he'll take requests.
some people talk a little but most are listening.
one night he had his own show in the Vista lounge.

also love Barty on the Emerald.
completely different type, but so much fun and full of information.
more storytelling than singing.

Old April 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Maurizio
BVI-RoyalStarClipper-Barbados,StBarts,NormanIsland, VirginGorda,Antigua,StKitts,IlesdesSaintes,Dominic a,StLucia
CARIBBEAN:
Bahamas-Magica/Fascination/Imagination/MajestyOfTheSeas/Century/Caribbean/Skyx4/Ruby/AllureOfTheSeas
East-Star-FtLaud,SanJuan,Tortola,StThomas,GrdCayman
South-Ocean(old)-Barbados,StLucia,StMartin, StThomas,Antigua/Emerald-PCay,StThomas,Dominica,Grenada,Bonaire,Aruba
West-Grand/Ruby/Crown/Dawn-Roatan,OchoRios,GrCayman,Cozumel,PCay
CHINA-Century Sun-Shanghai,Yangtze,Xian,Beijing
EGYPT-MS Nile Dolphin-Cairo,Luxor,Edfu,Aswan,AbuSimbel
MED-Star-Rome,Naples,Athens,Ephesus,Istanbul,Cairo,Alexandr ia
PanCANAL-Coralx2-CostaMaya,GrdCayman,Limon,Colon
SoAMERICA-Star-Rio,Montevideo,BuenosAires,Falklands, CapeHorn,PuntaArenas,Valparaiso,Coquimbo,Callao,Ma nta,Puntarenas,SanJuandelSur,Manzanillo,Cabo,SanFr an
TAHITI-TahitianB2B-Papeete,Marquesas,Society,CookIslands
TransATLANTIC-Star-Rome,Livorno,Genoa,Cannes,Barcelona,Cadiz,Tangiers ,Gibralter,Madeira,FtLaud
GREEK ISLANDS- Holland America Ryndam - Athens to Istanbul

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathercop View Post
I've actually enjoyed all of them, for the most part. Arny G. and Bert Stratton have been the piano bar entertainers we've probably cruised with the most. I have heard some of the music that Bert has written that he doesn't play on the ships and it has a completely different feel to it that is enjoyable and good.
Fathercop, I see that you are going to be on the Island on Oct 13. You will be traveling with Arny G again, since he will be in Crooners that cruise.

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I like Kory Simon. He was on the Crown this winter and I also sailed with him a few years ago on RCCL Navigator of the Seas.

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkocpa View Post
Fathercop, I see that you are going to be on the Island on Oct 13. You will be traveling with Arny G again, since he will be in Crooners that cruise.
Judy
Great to hear Arny will be on the Grand in the fall. We are looking at the Grand from Nov. 24th thru Dec. 8. What are your plans this fall? We are leaving soon for a three week drive around Ireland.
Bill

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbillmc View Post
Judy
Great to hear Arny will be on the Grand in the fall. We are looking at the Grand from Nov. 24th thru Dec. 8. What are your plans this fall? We are leaving soon for a three week drive around Ireland.
Bill
Hi Bill. No, Arny won't be on the Grand. He was on the Grand all last fall. He will be on the Island this fall, doing the Panama Canal runs. We are joining him for two of them, the Sept 28, 15 day full transit and the Dec 10 partial transit. In the meantime, we will be doing two short cruises, the May 12 coastal on the Sapphire from LA to Vancouver and the a short 4 day to Ketchikan and back on the Golden. One of these years we will be back on the same ship together! Have a great trip around Ireland! We had talked about doing two weeks driving around England, but hasn't happened yet. Since I'm still working, when I take time off, I really like the relaxation of cruising, and not the stress of driving on the "other" side of the road.
Take care.
Judy

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Maurizio(is that right). Is he still around?

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteele View Post
Maurizio(is that right). Is he still around?
Yes he was on our AUS/NZ cruise on the Diamond in Jan. We really enjoyed his shows.

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Does anybody know who will be on the Diamond 7/21-8/4/12?

Also, is Crooners enclosed? Is it a smoking bar?

Thanks!

Old June 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Coral in Feb/Mar for a Panama Canal cruise and the entertainer in the Crooners Lounge was the piano player for Frank Sinatra.