Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Theme Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Theme Cruises Exchange info about the hot new trend of "theme cruising."

Old October 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

The April cruise sounds fun but we plan our cruises around our kids school schedules. Keep us in mind if you plan another one.

I always find it amazing how many people are caching from the ships with us. It us rare that you don't run into another cacher.

I wish I was on a geocaching cruise at this very moment instead of 8 months out from my next cruise.

Norwegian Southward 1993; Carnival Fascination 1999; Carnival Legend 2008; Carnival Miracle 4/2009; Carnival Spirit 2010; Carnival Victory 2012

Old November 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

My wife and I geocache on every cruise, including placing some caches on the islands where there is a need for more. I usually end up giving a small lecture on board to our dinner table guests, and there have even been folks who wanted more information, so I was thinking of setting up a workshop through the CD. Perhaps on these next 2 cruises since there are 4 of us from Ottawa sailing the Caribbean this time.

We are model12, Aldy, Flyguy35 and RDLtrekker on geocaching.com.

Steve
Model12

April 2009 Carnival Imagination
October 2009 Carnival Liberty
November 2010 Carnival Valor
December 2011 Carnival Freedom
December 2011 Carnival Miracle
February 2014 Diamond Princess

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Old November 25th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by model12 View Post
My wife and I geocache on every cruise ... We are model12, Aldy, Flyguy35 and RDLtrekker on geocaching.com.
We geocache on every cruise, too...

I see that you'll be in St Thomas & Nassau soon. We found GCTM6Z & GCHBMC in St Thomas while visiting on the Oasis in Oct'10. We found GCC413 & GC2CXZQ & GCC418 & GCC41F while in Nassau on the Oasis in Oct'10. We found GCD77E & GC1CD3X while in Nassau on the Monarch in Nov'11...

We are Mike&Marcia!

FaceBook.com/SquareDancer
CC SquareDance Forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=804
Apr15 SouthCaribbean / RCL Quantum / 1st Quantum Experience
Feb15 ABC/Caribbean / RCL Explorer / Geocaching
Mar14 Caribbean / RCL Freedom / Geocaching
Apr13 Australia / RCL Radiance / 1st DownUnder
Sep12 Bahamas / RCL Majesty / Her Birthday
Dec11 Caribbean / RCL Voyager / SquareDance
Nov11 Bahamas / RCL Monarch / 1stCruise: Billy
Jun11 WestCaribbean / RCL Allure / 1stCruise: Deni&Nikki
Oct10 EastCaribbean / RCL Oasis / 2ndAnniv
Dec09 Cozumel / Carnival Fantasy / His Birthday
Apr09 Cozumel / Carnival Holiday / SquareDance
Oct08 Europe&Egypt / RCL Legend / Honeymoon
Apr06 Caribbean / Costa Magica / JustBecause
Feb02 Caribbean / NCL Sun / 1st cruise ever!

Last edited by memassey; November 25th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Cayman Islands

While on the RC Enchantment of the Seas in 2009 we nabbed two caches. This one was our favorite:
http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache http://www.geocaching.com/imagesL]Pursuit of Art http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1892F#"]GC1892F http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...spx?wp=GC1892F This cache is a bit of a walk but you will love the view. We had to give in and ask the shopkeeper for help. When we spotted it we were quite embarrassed. What a cool cache container, which, by the way, you can purchase at this shop like we did.
This is a super easy one to find right near where our ship docked:
http://www.geocaching.com GCE29E http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx"][/url]
Grand Cayman Heroes

We are doing the Pacific Coastal Cruise on the Norwegian Pearl April 29th.

Last edited by little-doc g; March 7th, 2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: pasted some pictures that didn't paste correctly

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default geocaching coordinates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
I am leavng for a cruise at the end of the week. Does anyone know where I can find coordinates for caches in ports of call?? I would love to get a few international caces while out and about.
Just go to http://www.geocaching.com/map/defaul...809,-123.12028 then type in the location you plan to visit. You don't need to pay for membership unless you want to access the member only caches. Doc&jo from Oregon

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Destination unknown

Where are you headed Hammock Hanger? I usually post a few possible cache GC's for the ports when I head out for a cruise. If you happen to be going to one that I have hit, i may be able to give you a few pointers. There may be other s who can do the same.

Karen

Past Cruises: = 210 sea days + 24 river days
2014 RCI Oasis OTS Sept 1 - 12 Transtlantic
2013 RCI Brilliance OTS Sept 1 - 15 Transatlantic Harwich to Boston via Iceland
2012 RCI Navigator OTS Nov 3 - 17 Transatlantic Barcelona to New Orleans
2011 RCI Navigator OTS Nov 6 - 20 Transatlantic Rome to Florida
2011 Holland America Veendam July 3-10 Bermuda
2011 Celebrity Infinity April 10-24 Panama Canal
2010 RCI Enchantment OTS Nov 27-Dec 6
2010 RCI Jewel OTS May 6-19 Transatlantic
2009 Celebrity Mercury December 12-21 from Baltimore RT
2009 RCI Legend of the Seas June 25 - July 7 Rome,Naples,Athens,Ephusus,Egypt and 3 greek isls - Left Jack at home
2009 RCI Independence of the Seas April 12-25 (Jack consolation cruise) TA to Southampton
2006 Holland America Veendam March 26 - April 1 Western Caribbean
2001 Princess Royal Princes b2b January 18 - February 15 Buenos Aires - Manaus - Ft. Lauderdale
2000 NCL Dream b2b December 8 - Jan 7, 2001 Miami - Santigo, Chile - Buenos Aires
Yes we cruised through The Canal and around South America without spending money on air fares.
2000 Barge Cruise (Does this count?) June 2 - 19 We drove our RV onto the barges along with 24 others and "cruised" from Guntersville AL down the Tennessee, Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to New Orleans LA. This kind of thing is no longer available - Shame
1998 Cape Canaveral Dolphin IV November 2 night - played with Hurricane Mitch
1996 Delta Queen Steamboat Co Mississippi Queen July 19 - 26 Chattannoga TN - St Louis MO
1985 Sitmar Fairsky February ?? 10 day Baja California

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anybody know of any good caches in cozumel or falmouth? I already got the one in labadee two years ago (I think it was moved so that = ) I have geocached in two states and three countries so far.
Allure of the Seas (Western Caribbean)-July 1st, 2012

Carnival
Carnival Dream(Western Caribbean)- May 29th, 2010

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm cruising on the victory this weekend out of San Juan and plan on geocaching the day before we sail. Also plan on finding the guard station cashe on st kitts.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tlswhy

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ps there are 2 other geocachers on my roll call MSG boards for my ship.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0ve32r

Old March 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We're planning on doing some geocaching on our next cruise. I saw there were a few in HMC.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am going on my first cruise in December and I would have never thought to do this. I think this will be a good way to experience the ports and put a new twist on my experience. I will call it my own little treasure hunt lol.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Old May 16th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Moopa

Hi
We are on the HAL 24-day Magic Of The Mediterranean Cruise leaving Barcelona on the 6th of July 2012. We intend to take our GPS with us for geocaching. Would be great to meet up with other people with the same interest. We would like to drop of some TBs to see if they find their way back to New Zealand.

Cheers

Ian & Bronwyn (Kiwi Beginners)

Last edited by bronian; May 16th, 2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Adding a title

Old May 16th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default GPS broke!!

I usually bring my GPSr on cruises to geocache, but I have been using my iPhone lately to find caches because my GPSr broke. Does anyone know if my iPhone's GPS will work in the Caribbean, especially if the phone is in airline mode?
Thanks!
Christina

Carnival Splendor 2014
Carnival Liberty 2012
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 2011
Carnival Glory 2010
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2009

If you know what the letters OBC and DOtD mean, then you are a cruise addict!

Old May 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default GPS vs iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinalvt View Post
I usually bring my GPSr on cruises to geocache, but I have been using my iPhone lately to find caches because my GPSr broke. Does anyone know if my iPhone's GPS will work in the Caribbean, especially if the phone is in airline mode?
Thanks!
Christina
The GPS will probably work BUT if you are getting information about the caches you will probably end up paying either roaming and/or data charges IF your phone works on whatever island you are on. In my experience the ships charge $2.50/min. for phone service. I usually run querys for the locations I am cruising to and download them to my computer before I leave. This is not as timely as the phone method but at least I have the information. Before I had a GPS to download to I would print out the ones I was interested in and take that with me.

Hope this helps.

Past Cruises: = 210 sea days + 24 river days
2014 RCI Oasis OTS Sept 1 - 12 Transtlantic
2013 RCI Brilliance OTS Sept 1 - 15 Transatlantic Harwich to Boston via Iceland
2012 RCI Navigator OTS Nov 3 - 17 Transatlantic Barcelona to New Orleans
2011 RCI Navigator OTS Nov 6 - 20 Transatlantic Rome to Florida
2011 Holland America Veendam July 3-10 Bermuda
2011 Celebrity Infinity April 10-24 Panama Canal
2010 RCI Enchantment OTS Nov 27-Dec 6
2010 RCI Jewel OTS May 6-19 Transatlantic
2009 Celebrity Mercury December 12-21 from Baltimore RT
2009 RCI Legend of the Seas June 25 - July 7 Rome,Naples,Athens,Ephusus,Egypt and 3 greek isls - Left Jack at home
2009 RCI Independence of the Seas April 12-25 (Jack consolation cruise) TA to Southampton
2006 Holland America Veendam March 26 - April 1 Western Caribbean
2001 Princess Royal Princes b2b January 18 - February 15 Buenos Aires - Manaus - Ft. Lauderdale
2000 NCL Dream b2b December 8 - Jan 7, 2001 Miami - Santigo, Chile - Buenos Aires
Yes we cruised through The Canal and around South America without spending money on air fares.
2000 Barge Cruise (Does this count?) June 2 - 19 We drove our RV onto the barges along with 24 others and "cruised" from Guntersville AL down the Tennessee, Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to New Orleans LA. This kind of thing is no longer available - Shame
1998 Cape Canaveral Dolphin IV November 2 night - played with Hurricane Mitch
1996 Delta Queen Steamboat Co Mississippi Queen July 19 - 26 Chattannoga TN - St Louis MO
1985 Sitmar Fairsky February ?? 10 day Baja California

Old May 16th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info! If I go into geocaching.com on my phone in 3G mode (no wi-fi) will I incur roaming charges? I don't understand how that works, I haven't used my iPhone outside the US before. Maybe if I go into geocaching.com and save the caches I want, then I can pull them up on the islands.

Carnival Splendor 2014
Carnival Liberty 2012
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 2011
Carnival Glory 2010
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2009

If you know what the letters OBC and DOtD mean, then you are a cruise addict!

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default iphone caching

You should discuss this with your phone service provider. If you access the net OR the phone system in ANY way you probably will incur charges. I do not have a smart phone but have used my phone in Europe and in Bermuda. It is designed to work in both environments. At $1.29 - $2.29 per minute it is NOT a way to geocache. The two systems ARE different from the US system electronically and I do not know if your phone is dual or not. Many times the provider sells phones that COULD work on both systems but they cripple it in some way so it will not. I am not sure if Bermuda is like ours or Europe. Your safest way is to purchase a new or used GPS and use that out of the country. Try to accumulate as much info as possible before you go so you will not have to pay to retrieve the information from the net.

Good luck and Happy Caching

Karen

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm looking forward to my very first cruise next week to St. John, NB on the Carnival Glory! As always, I load a few caches into my (not so) trusty yellow Etrex for any trips or vacations. Looks like St. John has quite a few caches within easy walking distance of the port. Anyone else going to be caching on my cruise? (Geohandle: Shiraz-mataz)

Old December 21st, 2012, 02:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wish I had discovered this site before my Panama Canal Cruise last year. Very discouraging to not be able to find caches in some countries and ports of call. Would have been much better to have a caching partner along.

Anyone know of any geocaching groups on cruises in the works, besides the Caribbean one in March 2013? I am hoping to go on a cruise from Australia to/and around New Zealand possibly in January 2014. Carnival has one scheduled, but won't allow date changes in the free airfare connected with the cruise and I want to go 2 weeks early to cache Australia and stay 2 weeks after to cache in New Zealand. I will need a roommate too, so if anyone is interested, please let me know. Perhaps we can schedule a couple of events, in each country to make sure we get a smiley in each of them. Flash Mobs sound like the way to go, or a meet and greet and eat at a restaurant, possibly at one that also contains a physical cache.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

The wife and I Geo Cached in Alaska. with my IPhone. They had ATT in all the ports we cached in so we had no extra charges. It was great we choose caches that were in the towns and walked all over. something we would not have done otherwise. In Juneau we ended up at the capitol building and got to wonder all over inside. We got to meet the governor and he gave us Alaska Flag pins and salmon recipes for Alaskan King Salmon. It was not what we expected when we set out on our Geo Cache hunt. We have been to mexico but I'm to afraid to cache there for fear of being robbed there. We are going in april so maybe I will find a couple around the piers there and log a few. I had a giocoin that made its way from Sacramento to the Bahamas and then to Canada and a cruiser picked it up from New York and dropped it in the Bahamas, Then another cruiser from Canada grabbed it and took it up to Canada. I do have a hand held GPS unit to use outside of the US and in places that do not have cell service in the US. My handle on geocaching dot com is bugmanbob. It has been a while since I was out caching but I still love the challenge.

Carnival Glory April - 2004 Caribbean,------ Regal Princess October - 2005 Mexico,------ Celebrity Mercury March -2007 Mexico, ------ Dawn Princess September -2007 Alaska,------ Diamond Princess March -2008 Hawaii, ------ Star Princes October - 2008 Mexico,------ Sapphire Princess March - 2009 Mexico, ------ Sapphire Princess October - 2009 Mexico -- B2B -- Sapphire Princess November - 2009 Mexico, ------ Sea Princess September - 2010 Alaska,------ Sapphire Princess March 19, 2011 Mexico,------Sapphire Princess Oct 2011 California Coastal,------ Star Princess March 19, 2012 Hawaii, --------- Grand Princess March 31, 2013 Mexico,-------Grand Princess March 5th, 2014 Mexico-----Golden October 17, 2014 ------- Golden October 20, 2014

Future Cruises
B2B
Golden October 17, 2014 Coastal Sampler Catalina Island, Ensenada, Mexico.
Golden October 20, 2014 Coastal Sampler Ensenada, Mexico.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey everyone: fellow cruisers and geo cachers! I haveny read through all the posts but come sept going on allure of the seas... do some caches get hidden on board? I already looked andsome caches on the islands we are going to.. super excited to find some!

Live*Love*Laugh*

And Cruise

Sailed:
~Disney Wonder-April 1999
~Disney Magic- September 2003
~Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas- Sept. 20, 2008 {http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...4b&skin_id=601}
~Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas- Sept. 11, 2010 {http://berriosfoundanoasis.shutterfly.com/}
~Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas- Sept. 29, 2013

Up Next:
.................../. /..../. /
............. ____ /../__ /../_____
............ | O.O.O.O.O.O.O.O.O|
. ______ |O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O|________
.`*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_ /
. \..............?????????????????? ........../
.. \ .............. ?????????????................./
~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~