Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > Gulf Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gulf Coast Departures
Galveston, Gulfport,Houston, Mobile & New Orleans

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Cruiser View Post
47,00 is the recorded population; however, the island has lost many residents due to more factions than Ike.
It still isn't Long Island, which th OP was referring.

I am aware it is not Long Island...I live right down the road a ways from Galveston and have lived here for nearly 34 years. Our family has a rich history with Galveston going way back. My great-grandfather survived the Great Storm! I just looked up the stats online and that's the population number that Galveston has listed online as of that date which is actually a very slight increase from January, 2011.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGBCruiser View Post
I am aware it is not Long Island...I live right down the road a ways from Galveston and have lived here for nearly 34 years. Our family has a rich history with Galveston going way back. My great-grandfather survived the Great Storm! I just looked up the stats online and that's the population number that Galveston has listed online as of that date which is actually a very slight increase from January, 2011.
I agreed
DH's family dates from 1851, home built in 1877 is still here, though "official" records show that area was 100% destroyed in 1900 storm. Family lost 31 in storm. Our home is 1860.

Anyway, all this was about the number of Catholic churches in Galveston.

A lot of Sea Days
Royal Caribbean - Princess - MSC

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Cruiser View Post
We are an island of only 39,000. Not quite the size of Long Island.
We have attended Mass at St Patrick's and Sacred Heart prior to departing on cruises and have had no problems. We never go to the ship before 1pm as the cabins are not available until then, at the earliest.
We self disembark and are typically off the ship by 7:15 am, providing there are no delays. Even the last TA, we were home by 7:15 am.

The Church has also cut back on the number of services in all parishes all over the country to conserve costs.
This is sort of a viscious cycle. As Mass attendance drops, it seems that, in places like Galveston, more and more churches close, and those that remain open offer fewer and fewer Masses. That, in turn, makes it less and less convenient to attend Mass, which causes Mass attendance to further drop, resulting in more and more churches closing and the remaining ones offering fewer and fewer Masses. It seems that Long Island, where I live, is one of the few places that isn't suffering this problem.

Old January 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
This is sort of a viscious cycle. As Mass attendance drops, it seems that, in places like Galveston, more and more churches close, and those that remain open offer fewer and fewer Masses. That, in turn, makes it less and less convenient to attend Mass, which causes Mass attendance to further drop, resulting in more and more churches closing and the remaining ones offering fewer and fewer Masses. It seems that Long Island, where I live, is one of the few places that isn't suffering this problem.
I still feel that they should rebuild the Basilica in Galveston. You should see the Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral in Houston that they (we!) just built a few years ago. No expense was spared that's for sure. Of course, we're not in charge...we're just the ones that donate!

Last edited by CGBCruiser; January 9th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.

Old January 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

My DH and I always arrive in Galveston on Saturday evening. We have done both the 5pm and the 10:30am Masses. Either one works just fine. With the 10:30, we let the office of the hotel know where we were going and that we would be back to check out about 11:30 and had no problem. Then we just left for the terminal and the timing is always really good.
Conquest 2/08
Ecstasy 8/08
Voyager 1/10

Old January 15th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink You have some options

Dear Long Island Cruiser:

We live in Dallas / Ft. Worth and visit Galveston a few times a year. Our favorite place for mass is the 7:30 am Sunday mass at Sacred Heart Church, 14th and Broadway, near the eastern end of the island. It is across the street from the old Bishop's Palace, where the archbishop (now Cardinal?) residence is.

We like Sacred Heart Church because it looks like we are entering a church from the Eastern Rite in Europe (but it is solidly Roman Catholic). In fact, at the end of each mass, we finish our services with a prayer to our Holy Mother to protect the island from storms. The Church has been well preserved, despite the weather and economic downtown. Starting your cruise early Sunday morning with mass at this beautiful worship space will certainly start your vacation off to a peaceful and memorable start. Of course, you can always nap on the ship (we do!). How lucky you are to have those beautiful churches on Long Island, where some of our friends live (near Long Island/MacArthur Airport).

Fellow cruisers, where do you worship when you come to Galveston to start your cruises?

Bob and Donna, from Dallas / Ft. Worth

Century, 9-2001
Summit, 10-2002
Century, 10-2003
Rhapsody of the Seas, 5-2004
Golden Princess, 10-2004
Carnival Ecstasy, 12-2004
Rhapsody of the Seas, 4-2005
Carnival Legend, 11-2005
Carnival Conquest, 12-2005
Navigator of the Seas, 4-2006
Rhapsody of the Seas, 12-2006
Rhapsody of the Seas, 5-2007
Carnival Ecstasy, 11-2007
Carnival Conquest, 12-2007
Carnival Ecstasy, 4-2008
Freedom of the Seas, 11-2008
Carnival Conquest, 12-2008
Voyager of the Seas, 3-2009
Carnival Conquest, 12-2009
Carnival Conquest, 5-2010
Radiance of the Seas, 8-2010
Celebrity Solstice, 10-2010
Carnival Miracle, 3-2011
Carnival Magic, 12-2011
Mariner of the Seas, 3-2012
Carnival Triumph, 9-2012
Carnival Magic, 12-2012
Carnival Magic, 4-2013
Navigator of the Seas, 12-2013
Navigator of the Seas, 5-2014
Carnival Magic, 11-2014

Old June 20th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

It looks like our only real option is going to be St. Mary Star of the Sea, in Jamaica Beach, at 7:00 PM Saturday. Has anyone been to Mass there? At least where I live, there seems to be a large variation in how long Mass is, based on factors such as how long the homily is or how many hymns they use. I have been to Masses ranging from half an hour to an hour and a half. What time should we tell the cab company to pick us up after Mass? I don't want to waste half an hour waiting for the cab if it's a very short Mass, but I also don't want them to assume we're a no show if it's a long Mass. Thank you.

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Is Sacred Heart walking distance from the Hitlon?
Carnival Dream 1/10
Carnival Sensation 10/09
Ruby Princess 1/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/08
Disney Wonder 10/04
Disney Wonder 1/04
Disney Magic 10/02

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNmomof4 View Post
Is Sacred Heart walking distance from the Hitlon?
No, it's not.