Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Farewell Captain Glenn...

"After almost 21 years with Crystal, our beloved “Captain Glenn” Edvardsen will be leaving the helm of Crystal Serenity to become CEO of a NYK-subsidiary back in his Norwegian homeland. You’ll have one last chance to sail with him during his “farewell tour,” so to speak, from July 13 to Sept 18 (voyages 2314-2319). Until we officially bid him adieu with the Black Sea cruise in Sept, we’d love to hear your favorite Captain Glenn stories & memories here..."

I have so many wonderful memories of Captain Glenn, as I am sure we all do. From my 2008 World Cruise to a recent cruise in the Med. He was always the consumate Host and Professional navigator of the seas... He shall be missed and we wish him well!
Andrew

Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:14 AM
50,000+ Club

Andrew, I was just getting ready to start a new thread when I checked and see that you did. Thank you for starting this thread.

================================================== ====

I was holding off posting about Captain Glenn until I saw something from Crystal Cruises making this public and I just saw the following writeup from Crystal Cruises on Facebook which Andrew just posted above.

===============================================
"After almost 21 years with Crystal, our beloved “Captain Glenn” Edvardsen will be leaving the helm of Crystal Serenity to become CEO of a NYK-subsidiary back in his Norwegian homeland. You’ll have one last chance to sail with him during his “farewell tour,” so to speak, from July 13 to Sept 18 (voyages 2314-2319). Until we officially bid him adieu with the Black Sea cruise in Sept, we’d love to hear your favorite Captain Glenn stories & memories here..."

===============================================

We have had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Glenn on several voyages as many of you have as well.

In my humble opinion he is one of those very unique captains who is able to combine extraordinary navigational skills with outstanding communication, leadership and social skills.

For those sailing earlier this year as the Crystal Serenity made our way Westward sailing the Pacific Ocean we experienced just one example of Captain Glenn's extraordinary navigational and communication skills. During the beginning of the cruise we got ahead of schedule and as Captain Glenn would often note this provided pad in his hip pocket. With weather forecasts calling for poor sea conditions at one point we went hundreds of miles on a different course and then later on as we were about a day out of port he received special permission to sail on a different path as we headed to port. We we not only avoided some terrible weather/seas but we arrived to port on time. Another cruise ship was not so fortunate and once in the eye of the storm, their captain could not even turn the ship to a different course On top of all of this, Captain Glenn kept everyone informed not only with his daily morning talk from the ship but also with some additional communications. He is an amazing Captain and this is only one of several examples that we have witnessed first hand on our sailings with him.

We will also miss his humor including his ability to always mention his homeland of Norway whether at one of those evening receptions or at some other event.

We will also miss Captain Glenn's daily thoughts of the day which he shared on the World Cruises and which added to making each day on board the Crystal Serenity even more special.

Finally, I will also miss something that Captain Glenn mentioned at most of the welcome receptions that I am a true believe of. In short the Captain would remind us that if you want to have a good time on the cruise you wil,l and if you don't you won't. In our opinion, this is all part of seeing the glass as half full rather than half empty. Life is too short so Anne Marie and I agree with Captain Glenn wholeheartedly.

While we will dearly miss Captain Glenn we wish him only the best as he assumes his new responsibilities as he assumes CEO responsibilities for a subsidiary of NYK. We consider ourselves blessed for all of the times we have sailed with the captain and the wonderful memories we will carry with us for the rest of our lives.

Keith

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

that is bad news for the cruise passengers as he was one of the few captains able to combine great professional skill with great attention for communication with the passengers as well
as said above by keith

Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well deserved, no doubt. And I'm ecstatic for his family. But it is bittersweet for the rest of us who have enjoyed his friendship & felt the comfort of having him at the helm. I will miss his quick wit, warm smile & inspiring 'thoughts' each morning. God bless you, Capt. Glenn!

Travel Blog: www.liv4cruzin.com

Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4cruzin View Post
Well deserved, no doubt. And I'm ecstatic for his family. But it is bittersweet for the rest of us who have enjoyed his friendship & felt the comfort of having him at the helm. I will miss his quick wit, warm smile & inspiring 'thoughts' each morning. God bless you, Capt. Glenn!
Well said (as were the comments preceding), and I've never even met the man. But I've been paying attention to what's been said on these threads about this wise and charming and capable-sounding man and regret that now we'll not have the chance to sail with him. Yet one more reminder in life to carpe diem while the diem can still be carped.

Patricia

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Happy for him

We are happy for Capt. Glen and his wonderful opportunity. We will always remember being at his table years ago and being introduced to Aqavit , much to his great delight! He thought I should have had the third "Skol" and shot, but I wouldn't be here if I had :-) He was a great personality , great wit, and a great captain. We wish him well. joyous

Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

He is such a good man, and I wish he and his family all the best. He will certainly be missed.

Old July 4th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi Becky, sorry to be off topic here but I have been devouring your World Cruise blog and found that it stopped at April 2nd - 4th! I'm I missing how to do something?!!? I'm dying to find out the rest! HELP!!
My best,
Scott

Old July 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM
5,000+ Club

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwazeAndCwaze View Post
Hi Becky, sorry to be off topic here but I have been devouring your World Cruise blog and found that it stopped at April 2nd - 4th! I'm I missing how to do something?!!? I'm dying to find out the rest! HELP!!
My best,
Scott
Becky hasn't finished updating/finishing her blog...stay tuned!

Nancy

Old July 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygp View Post
Becky hasn't finished updating/finishing her blog...stay tuned!

Nancy
Thanks Nancy. She's like a drug dealer!!! She got me hooked and now nothing!!!!! I'LL PAY!!! I'LL PAY!!!!!
;-),
Scott

Old July 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default To Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwazeAndCwaze View Post
Thanks Nancy. She's like a drug dealer!!! She got me hooked and now nothing!!!!! I'LL PAY!!! I'LL PAY!!!!!
;-),
Scott
WOW, if only I could make money at this. I could afford to cruise more & write more. THANK YOU for reading & waiting. I can't just put the words down, I've always been the slow methodical type; & the emotions are a big part of the experience for me. In order to get an especially busy port day down 'on paper' requires huge blocks of time (which aren't always easy to find). So, I work in spurts. There is a thread called "Where are you Becky?"; I always post there to let anyone who's still interested, when there is an update to the blog. I REALLY hope to finish in the next 2 weeks.

Travel Blog: www.liv4cruzin.com

Old July 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
WOW, if only I could make money at this. I could afford to cruise more & write more. THANK YOU for reading & waiting. I can't just put the words down, I've always been the slow methodical type; & the emotions are a big part of the experience for me. In order to get an especially busy port day down 'on paper' requires huge blocks of time (which aren't always easy to find). So, I work in spurts. There is a thread called "Where are you Becky?"; I always post there to let anyone who's still interested, when there is an update to the blog. I REALLY hope to finish in the next 2 weeks.
Thank you Becky. I am indeed interested!!! You write so well and so descriptively it's like I'm there with you! And the pictures!!!!! My DH and I are going on the Symphony in August and are dieting like crazy in preparation. Those food pictures you post have me salivating like Pavlov's pooch!!!! And what about your mysterious rash!?!?! It's like a Saturday Matinee Cliffhanger!!!!!
Can't WAIT to see what happens next.
With great appreciation,
Scott

Old July 4th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Who knew that NYK had a Norwegian subsidary?? And after so many years of Captain Glenn relating absolutely EVERYTHING in the world to Norway, how appropriate that he should be named the CEO!!

Captain Glenn was our "first" Crystal Captain on Harmony and no matter how long it had been between visits, he always welcomed us back with a handshake and a hug. The promotion is well deserved and we wish him nothing but the best, but we will truly miss him.

Larry

Old July 5th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Like so many others here I had the pleasure of having Captain Glenn at the helm during my first Crystal voyage back in 2006. All of the assets that made him such a huge passenger favorite -- his unique combination of wit, wisdom, calm and knowing leadership, and much more -- will no doubt help him in his new role.

Wishing you calm seas, Captain Glenn. Thanks for helping us make so many great memories.

Chuck-

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Many blessings and thank you for our safe sailings.

Old September 18th, 2012, 02:14 PM
50,000+ Club

This morning marked Captain Glenn Edvardsen's final time at the helm of a Crystal Cruises ship with the arrival of the Crystal Serenity to Athens, Greece.

We wish Captain Glenn our very best as he ends this chapter of his career and begins the next chapter in his new position as a CEO for a NYK subsidiary.

We thank Captain Glenn for helping us to create memories that will last a lifetime.

Keith and Anne Marie

Last edited by Keith1010; September 18th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

As has been said so many times, sailing with Captain Edvardsen was special. We have the added pleasure of the photo of Captain Edvardsen with his lucky table mates on our 2010 Venice - Istanbul cruise. Like all my cruise pictures, it hangs on the inside door of my kitchen cabinets. The perfect reminder of my "other life".
It seems appropriate that he was at Serenity's helm on the voyage highlighted on " Mighty Ships".
All our warmest wishes for an admired and delightful member of the Crystal family.
Abby