Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Hawaii

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Best Luau and Fire Dance

Opinions please --- we are doing an overnight in Honolulu and visiting Lahaina until 11 pm.

Suggestions for a great Luau and show --- I read mixed reviews about the Drums of the Pacific on Trip Advisor. It's quite expensive so don't want to waste my time/money if there are others just as good, if not better. Thanks.
2009 Royal Caribbean - South America & Cape Horn - 30 days
2010 and 2011 - Celebrity Solstice and HAL Westerdam - cancelled due to DH surgery
2012 - HAL Westerdam --- Hawaii and South Pacific - 30 days

Future Floats:

Azamara Quest --- April, 2014 --- Italy -- B2B (keeping fingers crossed !)

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM
30,000+ Club

We did Germaines on our first trip to the Islands but want to do a differant one when we stop in Honolulu after our Transpacific Cruise in 2014 and have heard excellant reviews on the Paradise Cove. They offer 3 differant packages, and considering the Orchid Luau Buffet. Here si the Link to their site.http://www.paradisecovehawaii.com/Lu...s/paradise.htm

Last edited by Desert Cruizers; July 11th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Old July 11th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Old Lahaina has one of the best luau's in Maui but no fire dance. And it's on the smaller scale of 500 people, the earlier you book the better the seating y'll get.
The best fire dance we've seen was at the Polynesian Culture Center and it was a big part and the finale to the show Ha Breath of Life. They also have a luau but don't know anything about it.

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

The luau at the PCC is not bad. Food and entertainment ok. But the night show at the PCC is the best, a must see.

There is a new luau in Oahu, Chief's luau. The fire dance is supposed to be the best. So at this one the show is good, while reviews on the food is only ok.

Went on:
Carnival Freedom Aug. 24/13 (8d, FLL -> Grand Turk; La Romana, DR; Curacao; Aruba)
NCL Pride of America Aug. 25/2012 (7d Hawaii; Honolulu -> Kahului, Maui; Hilo; Kona; Kauai)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 22/2010 (Long Beach -> Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Luca)
Costa Fortuna Mar. 14/2010 (7d, FLL->Nassau, Ocho Rios, G Cayman, Cozumel)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 30, 2009, hurrican Jimena forced changes (7d, Long Beach -> Catalina; Ensenada; Cabo; missed PV and Maz)
Carnival Triumph Jun 29, 2009 (5d, New York -> Saint John/NB; Halifax)
Carnival Liberty Aug. 23, 2008 (7d, Miami -> Half Moon Cay; USVI; San Juan; Grand Turk)
Carnival Destiny Aug. 26, 2007 (7d, San Juan -> USVI; Dominica; Barbados; St. Lucia; Antigua)
Carnival Miracle Aug. 27, 2006 (7d, Tampa -> G Cayman; Cozumel; Belize; Costa Maya)
Norwegian Wind Aug. 24, 2005 (10d Honolulu, Oahu -> Hilo; Fanning island; Kauai; Lahaina, Maui; Kona)

Old July 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM
30,000+ Club

We enjoyed the evening show tremendously at the PCC. The afternoon show thru the canal is beautiful but to stay the intire day, can make for a very long day, returning to Honolulu late evening.

Middleager, we have only been to 3 Luaus during our trips, Germaines, our first trip & PCC and OLL in 08. Will check out Chief's luau for our 2014 Transpacific cruise from Sydney. We will be staying 4 days post cruise.

Old July 14th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Would appreciate a recommendation for a luau in either Maui or Kauai...however, we will be leaving port around 5-6pm at each of those ports. So, it would have to be an afternoon luau. We will be in Honolulu until 11pm but were planning on mainly sightseeing-want to go to Pearl Harbor etc. Could we fit in both sighseeing and an evening luau in Honolulu???
We are considering the Luau in Kauai thru Princess (will be on Sapphire this Jan.) but would be willing to do a private tour and save money!
Thanks.
I

Last edited by dcruisers; July 14th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Old July 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just some info ---

There are quite a few luau's in Honolulu ---- most start about 4 pm and end around 8 or so.

I think most of the larger luxury hotels also have them but no sure if attendance restricted to hotel guests.

The ones I found are: Paradise Cove --- www.reservations@paradisecovehawaii.com --- 1-800-842-5911

Chief's Luau --- www.chiefsluau.com --- 1-877-357-2480 or 1-808-664-1075 --- only offered certain days of week

Germaine's Luau --- 1-800-590-4415

Polynesian Cultural Center ---- you can spend an entire day here --- lots of history, demonstrations, the luau and wonderful show in the evening. A very long day, though.

As your ship leaves at 11 pm --- I think you could easily do both in one day. Just go to Pearl Harbor in the AM ---- do some shopping/beach stuff --- then the luau in the late afternoon.

Have a great time !!
2009 Royal Caribbean - South America & Cape Horn - 30 days
2010 and 2011 - Celebrity Solstice and HAL Westerdam - cancelled due to DH surgery
2012 - HAL Westerdam --- Hawaii and South Pacific - 30 days

Future Floats:

Azamara Quest --- April, 2014 --- Italy -- B2B (keeping fingers crossed !)

Old July 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgAvonLady View Post
There are quite a few luau's in Honolulu ---- most start about 4 pm and end around 8 or so.

I think most of the larger luxury hotels also have them but no sure if attendance restricted to hotel guests.

The ones I found are: Paradise Cove --- www.reservations@paradisecovehawaii.com --- 1-800-842-5911

Chief's Luau --- www.chiefsluau.com --- 1-877-357-2480 or 1-808-664-1075 --- only offered certain days of week

Germaine's Luau --- 1-800-590-4415

Polynesian Cultural Center ---- you can spend an entire day here --- lots of history, demonstrations, the luau and wonderful show in the evening. A very long day, though.

As your ship leaves at 11 pm --- I think you could easily do both in one day. Just go to Pearl Harbor in the AM ---- do some shopping/beach stuff --- then the luau in the late afternoon.

Have a great time !!
Thank you so much for the info....I think Honolulu would be a better place for us to do the luau...and your suggestions of fitting both in is a good one!

Old July 16th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi

I have only attended one Luau - the Old Lahaina Luau and it was great (no fire dancing though), food was decent and all the drinks were included in the price, which was about $100.

The show was very good and the service was outstanding!

Enjoy your vacation!

Past Cruises
RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Holiday Cruise - Dec 2012
RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii - April 2012
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas-Alaska - May 2010
RCCL Majesty of the Seas-Bahamas-Sept 2009
RCCL Freedom of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean-May 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean-April 2006
Holland America - Alaska - August 2001

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

We booked Chief's Luau. It is only scheduled Wednesdays and Sundays. I've read the reviews which are excellent. I didn't see any bad comments about the food. People would not be returning to this Luau on other trips if they didn't have a marvelous time. Gourmet food or not, nothing pleases everybody
Gem

Old July 18th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem Lover View Post
We booked Chief's Luau. It is only scheduled Wednesdays and Sundays. I've read the reviews which are excellent. I didn't see any bad comments about the food. People would not be returning to this Luau on other trips if they didn't have a marvelous time. Gourmet food or not, nothing pleases everybody
Gem
Check TA for reviews. Most of the reviews say the show is good, but there were quite a few that didn't think the food left much to be desired. But people usually go for the show anyway.

Went on:
Carnival Freedom Aug. 24/13 (8d, FLL -> Grand Turk; La Romana, DR; Curacao; Aruba)
NCL Pride of America Aug. 25/2012 (7d Hawaii; Honolulu -> Kahului, Maui; Hilo; Kona; Kauai)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 22/2010 (Long Beach -> Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Luca)
Costa Fortuna Mar. 14/2010 (7d, FLL->Nassau, Ocho Rios, G Cayman, Cozumel)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 30, 2009, hurrican Jimena forced changes (7d, Long Beach -> Catalina; Ensenada; Cabo; missed PV and Maz)
Carnival Triumph Jun 29, 2009 (5d, New York -> Saint John/NB; Halifax)
Carnival Liberty Aug. 23, 2008 (7d, Miami -> Half Moon Cay; USVI; San Juan; Grand Turk)
Carnival Destiny Aug. 26, 2007 (7d, San Juan -> USVI; Dominica; Barbados; St. Lucia; Antigua)
Carnival Miracle Aug. 27, 2006 (7d, Tampa -> G Cayman; Cozumel; Belize; Costa Maya)
Norwegian Wind Aug. 24, 2005 (10d Honolulu, Oahu -> Hilo; Fanning island; Kauai; Lahaina, Maui; Kona)